World Cup 2006 and Other Football Stuff #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol actually we were lucky because of you :D thanks kazzy, don't forget to support Spain on the next round :D they will play against france :D

actually i'm dissapointed for south Korea too, i mean they were first of our group , they were about to succeed but Swiss won :(

Ouch,I didn't want France the next round !!!
I wanted South Korea to take revenge from the last WC or Switzerland...
Anyway the winner of the Spain-France has to play against Brazil in quarter-finals and say bye to the WC.In fact that's Spain's fate,to go home in quarter-finals...

So next round will be:
Holland-Portugal.
England-Ecuador.
Germany-Sweden.
Argentina-Mexico.
Ghana-Brazil.
Italy-Australia.
Spain-France.
Ukraine-Switzerland.

I think they're going to pass:England,Germany,Argentina,Brazil,Italy (Italians always so lucky,first Australia and next round the winner from the Ukraine-Switzerland),Spain (crossing my fingers but scared of Thierry Henry) and Switzerland.No clue about the Holland-Portugal,that's gonna be an interesting match.

well if the winner will play against Brazil, i hope Spain will win lol no just kidding we will see how it's gonna be played ;) i think we all have chance to win

DaWacko said:
Oh, I like Portugal but I like Holland much more :p
I so hoped they'd won in EC 2004 *hides from JF*

Oh no you didn't! *runs after DW with a bouzaki*

I'm kinda sad that Spain is playing against France 'cause I like both teams. But hey, birthday boy Viera got a goal :D.

okay, first of all, yes I think it's only Australians and Americans that call it soccer.
Second of all, I don't get why its insulting to call it soccer instead of football...it's just what it's called here, and what it always will be called...that's why everyone calls the Sydney Football Club "Sydney FC" instead, and why our team are called the 'Socceroos'
and there are so many diferent types of football, as heartagram said, it gets really confusing at times...

But anyway, Go Australia!!! I think we're going to have a tough time against Italy, but I still believe that we can do it! Even without Emmerton, if we put Schwarzer back in goals, and keep the lineup that we have (and get a decent ref ;)), we should have a chance :p *runs away from Italy fans*

i find it insulting to kall it football, its soccer not football hahahahahaha. if it was the world game it would be called the same thing in ALL countries :p but im not getting into this agen haha.

and go the SOCCERoos hehe

I'm happy for France, but not so happy since they're meeting Spain. Here's hoping that Fabregas can use his knowledge of Henry to good use :p

Go Spain!

Ok guys, stop arguing what it has to be called. It has done in this thread (and earlier ones) so many times that it starts to be annoying.

Anyways. Next round, my guesses who'll continue

Holland, England, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Ukraine... Italy - Australia is tough one, since Italy hasn't impressed me. Brazil hasn't impressed me either so as much I want Holland to win, I think either Germany or Argentina will win.

I think it's only confusing for the countries that actually consistently use the word "soccer" because of other derivatives of "football" that significantly co-exist in said country e.g. the US and Australia with American football and Aussie Rules Football, respectively. So, another term is required for differentiation, hence the use of "soccer".

It's interesting to note that after January 1st, 2005, Australia changed the name of its governing body to Football Federation Australia for the sport of football(soccer) in Australia. The old name used to be Australia Soccer Association.

In addition, "of the 45 national FIFA affiliates in which English is an official or primary language, only three (Canada, Samoa and the United States) use "soccer" in their name, while the rest use football (although the Samoan Federation actually uses both). New Zealand Soccer changed its name to Football New Zealand in May 2006."

It would be interesting to find out if countries whose official or primary language is NOT English refer to the Beautiful Game as football or soccer in their name. Yo, Ducky, what says Finland? :)

So, as far as "football" goes, major derivations include "Association football (the original), "Australian rules football", "American football", "Canadian football", "Gaelic football" and "rugby football (rugby league & rugby union).

As far as the FIFA World Cup is concerned it is definately "FOOTBALL" as evidenced by the governing body, "Fédération Internationale de Football Association" (FIFA), founded in Paris in May 21st, 1904. BTW, "the Laws of football that govern the game are not solely the responsibility of FIFA; they are maintained by a body called the International Football Association Board (IFAB). FIFA has a 50% representation on its board (four representatives); the other four are provided by the football associations of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, in recognition of the unique contribution to the creation and history of the game of the nations now comprising the United Kingdom."

Anyhow, whether we refer to it as "football" or "soccer" doesn't really matter too much. It is STILL the World's Beautiful Game. :)

TallyHo said:
It would be interesting to find out if countries whose official or primary language is NOT English refer to the Beautiful Game as football or soccer in their name. Yo, Ducky, what says Finland? :)

It's called "jalkapallo"
jalka = foot
pallo = ball
Also knows names such as jalis (=shortern from jalkapallo) or futis/fudis (=shortern from English term)

Thank you Tally for this lovely explanation and I hope the arguing stops here and we just enjoy the game now :)

I don't understand all this polemics about football/soccer.
Soccer is only used in USA and Australia where it can be confused with American or Australian football and where football/soccer is not very popular.
In the rest of the world we don't have that problem so we called it football and don't confused it with anything as American and Australian football is not popular here.
For those interested,the Spanish for football is fútbol,the same word but written the way it's pronounced.

My guesses for today are that Germany and Argentina are gonna pass to the next round.

*Applauds Tally* Brilliant post. :D

It gets really interesting now we're onto the knock out stages. I'm not sure my nerves can stand watching England! They'll probably scrape through by the skin of their teeth, but I'm very glad to hear that Michael Carrick should be playing.

The game I'm most looking forward to is Holland v Portugal. I see them as so evenly matched and like both teams alot. I just hope we get some cracking games! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back