Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In "Snow Day", I found it quite odd that she didn't know that there was a situation in the office. I mean, they called all hands on deck, right? And when she got there, she was all, "What's up? What did I miss?"

And then she went over to the warehouse where Flack just ignored her totally. Not two words spoken to her. (Love that!)

I remember in CSI:LV Nick Stokes exclaimed that, "I'm the man!" LOL, it was cool. But when I saw the Lindsey "I rock" scene... I was, "Er... wha?"

The thing with Lindsey trying to prove herself -- her first two episodes were somewhere in that region: Stella explaining how Lindsey got Mac's attention, being ready with the switchblade, tackling the perp, being this brave and confident new girl in the lab. But somewhere along the way ... her development moved backward. Season3 episode1, she tried to push her early conclusion of dynamite to the big bosses, Mac and Stella. Both were disproving her findings at every turn but she was still, "But... you see... but I found...."

The same with the flower poem thing. Neither Hawkes nor Flack was impressed. My friend did say that she's developing backwards.

The pushy newbie thing was irritating from the get-go, but at least understandable back in season two. Why we have to sit through her long-winded "aren't I so smart and clever?" explanations two seasons later is beyond me. I swear, when she starts talking I can't even focus and end up missing half of what she's saying. Something about the annoying pitch of her voice combined with those over-long explanations really kills scenes.

I said this in the episode review for "Down the Rabbit Hole" and thought it applied here as well. I don't know if I'm becoming overly sensitive or what, but Lindsay and Anna Belknap have just grated on my nerves so far in S4 in a way she hasn't before.

Lindsay was given more to do this ep., but to me she continues to stick out like a sore thumb. In the exchange with Stella and the part where the whole team is confering before they get on the elevator really displayed that Anna is the weak link of the cast. In the scene with Melina, it felt like Stella having a scene with Anna Belknap and not Lindsay. Nothing gets to Anna's eyes, she always looks either blank, like she's trying to keep up and remember her lines or she's confused. I think she just keeps getting worse. She used to be able to at least sell the light, playful side of Lindsay; but now she can't sell anything except smug, self-involvement. Although, there was none of that this ep., thank God.

I just don't find her quite as annoying if she's not trying to emote, something Anna clearly can't handle. She didn't bug me in "Rabbit Hole," maybe because she wasn't in it much or maybe because she didn't have any part in the drama.

But I do agree that she's blank, and there's no real attempt to add depth or reality to the character, either on the writers' parts or Anna's. She's a waste of space without a doubt, but if she's not detracting from the story or other characters, I don't mind her.

Nothing gets to Anna's eyes, she always looks either blank, like she's trying to keep up and remember her lines or she's confused.
I absolutely agree. Somehow, the emotions that Anna is trying to convey (as Lindsay) never quite reaches her eyes. Other times she sounds like she's just reciting the script without adding any emotion to them. She's definitely the weakest link, the cast can clearly do without her.

There's a reason why there's the saying "the eyes are the windows to the soul". Sometimes, in an emotional scene, an actor is saying the lines in all the right ways in terms of tone, like you can hear the cracks in their voice, but somehow you can't quite feel the emotion through their eyes. This is what bugs me most about an actor.

Also, this is probably a goof on the wardrobe dept's part, but did anybody notice that Lindsay's choice of footwear this season (so far) is kind of ill-fitting for investigative field work? I believe she's been wearing high-heeled pumps (looks like it to me) a lot. I kind of liked her outfits from Season 2.

Actually, I much prefer the Season 2 Lindsay, on the whole. But I guess there's no bringing her back. :p In a really perfect world, maybe they can get rid of Lindsay. And, so as not to make Stella the only female regular character on the show, maybe they can add Angell to the list of regulars. :D If not, maybe AJ will finally make it to the main credits. Hehehe.

Also, this is probably a goof on the wardrobe dept's part, but did anybody notice that Lindsay's choice of footwear this season (so far) is kind of ill-fitting for investigative field work? I believe she's been wearing high-heeled pumps (looks like it to me) a lot. I kind of liked her outfits from Season 2.

That's probably so she can be in the same camera shots as the rest of the cast. Any time I've noticed shoes on the female cast, they always seem to be wearing heels of what I feel is an inappropriate height. But then, since they're all wearing normal clothes to process scenes, it's no surprize there. (How bad is it when Killinaskully can have people better kitted out for crime scene work than a primetime US drama does)

In Lindsey's scene with Stella, I was wondering just how high her heels were or whether MK was barefoot just so they could both be in the same camera shot.

I'm really not a fan of the wardrobe for her overall this season--it's aged her by like 10 years. At least when she was wearing the cute denim jackets and pastel tops, she looked like she was in her 30s. Now she looks like she's 40-something and working in an office. The black pumps or flats or whatever just aren't cute.

I just watched the video for "Boo" that was posted in the spoiler thread, and in it you can see the director working with Anna for a scene. Not that I had high hopes for her performance in "Boo," but it looks like she's as wooden as ever as she rehearses it. Her expression barely changes! Hopefully what makes it on film is better than the rehearsal.

Top41 said:
I just watched the video for "Boo" that was posted in the spoiler thread, and in it you can see the director working with Anna for a scene. Not that I had high hopes for her performance in "Boo," but it looks like she's as wooden as ever as she rehearses it. Her expression barely changes! Hopefully what makes it on film is better than the rehearsal.

I noticed that too. At least she's on the B case, which doesn't seem to get as much time allottment as the A case. Unless that's just my imagination.

PerfectAnomaly said:
I noticed that too. At least she's on the B case, which doesn't seem to get as much time allottment as the A case. Unless that's just my imagination.

You is correct!

I've been privy to some, uhm, I'll put it as written dialogue for the episode. ;) I was very intrigued by the fact that, unless it was Lindsay alone in a scene, all the emotional cues were written for the other characters in the scene but none for her. It's almost as if the writers are relying on the other actors (even minor ones!) to carry the scene instead of her.

I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming Halloween episode. For me, it's going to be the true blue make or break episode for Lindsay's character / Anna Belknap's acting. She's gonna have to act realistically frightened, man, and I tell ya, that ain't easy! :lol:

Kimmychu said:
I've been privy to some, uhm, I'll put it as written dialogue for the episode. ;) I was very intrigued by the fact that, unless it was Lindsay alone in a scene, all the emotional cues were written for the other characters in the scene but none for her. It's almost as if the writers are relying on the other actors (even minor ones!) to carry the scene instead of her.

Wow. That's incredibly sad and pathetic and should scream that AB does not belong on this show.

Kimmychu said:
I was very intrigued by the fact that, unless it was Lindsay alone in a scene, all the emotional cues were written for the other characters in the scene but none for her. It's almost as if the writers are relying on the other actors (even minor ones!) to carry the scene instead of her.
Hmm, I wouldn't necessarily say that.

I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming Halloween episode. For me, it's going to be the true blue make or break episode for Lindsay's character / Anna Belknap's acting.
Well, I'm not putting all of my eggs in one basket and relying on one episode, but I guess this is our first real chance to see if all of the issues from the past two seasons really deserved the excuses that were given to explain them away (namely 'she's new' and 'Anna's pregnant'). I'm guessing not, but I could be blown away by a 'jaw-dropping' performance. You never know. :p

You would think the Amityville case would be the A-case since they've been waiting so long to be able to do a Halloween episode (didn't Lenkov say something to that effect?). Maybe if 'Danny and Lindsay r alone!!1!' had been sacrificed in favor of 'the whole team works this tragic and intricate storyline,' it could have been a one-case episode--or just stick Flack with one CSI on a B-case and let him be a cute little scardey-cat. ;)

Top41 said:

I saw that clip too. :rolleyes: I really do hope she did better on the actual take too. It's not easy to act frightened.

Not that it's wrong, just thought it'd be fun to note, but it looked to me like she was eating during the scene rehearsal. Maybe she was concentrating on the munching and not the acting, since it was rehearsal and all? :lol:

In Ireland we are yet to see season four but with nearly Lindsay free episode's I can hardly wait.
I find it amazing that she has done a total u-turn from the first time we met her.
She has gone form a semi likeable, mildly entertaining character to one who seems so full of herself and emotionless that she has made herself easily not likeable.
I sometimes find I have to fast-forward her parts as I find her really irritating to watch. Especially in "Snow Day".

Top41 said:

Maybe she was just marking it? But I kindda doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back