Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrieattheprom said:
I've noticed many of the Lindsay fans talk about how "cute" and "sweet" she is. Physically speaking, yes Lindsay is cute. But then again so's the whole cast. :cool: However, her personality does not strike me as "cute" or "sweet". She comes across as an arrogant show-off. And I can't figure out why my interpretation of the character is so different from that of her fans, or which one the writers intended.

Cute, okay, i can see that. But when people talk about her character being sweet, i really dont see it. I think fans are more connecting the sweet part to Anna Belknap, which i have heard she is a sweet person, but that shouldn't define her character. Fans arent drawing the line all the time bewteen who Anna is and who Lindsay is, which is i think another problem with her character-you don't know who is who. She sounds like she's Anna Belknap reading the part of Lindsay, not Lindsay the CSI.

privatename said:
With Lindsay I get the sense she is just so "friggin" proud of herself and is trying to prove how smart or wonderful she is at her job. She comes off as smug and self-satisfied and looking for praise.
Yeah. Scenes like that personally turn me off. Take the "I rock!" line from "You Only Die Once"--if I'd been given the task of figuring out what turned the flame blue, and finally found the right answer after countless unsuccessful tests, I think my exclamation would have been more like "Finally!" or "Thank God!" (or "Eureka!" :lol:) or something. Instead it seemed more like "yay me for doing my job"--I dunno, it just rubbed me wrong (not to mention that the delivery of the lines made me cringe).

To comment on the idea of her being intentionally dislikable, I bring it back to Owen from "Torchwood"--I don't like him, but I like him. I'm not fond of everything he does and says and the way he acts around people, but I think the character is important and has a place on the team--and I'd hate to see him gone. Initially, I wouldn't have thought I'd feel that way, but he grew on me even though I still don't love him--and that only took a few months, not the two years I've had to let Lindsay grow on me. *sigh*

cSiNyFrEaK30 said:
Fans arent drawing the line all the time bewteen who Anna is and who Lindsay is, which is i think another problem with her character-you don't know who is who. She sounds like she's Anna Belknap reading the part of Lindsay, not Lindsay the CSI.
Yeah--with the others, it's easy to separate the character from the actor (except with their recent tendency to make Danny look like Carmine, but that's appearance and clothing rather than characterization). Anna might be the nicest woman in the world--I wouldn't know, I've never met her--but she's not Lindsay.

I'd have to agree. Anna's delivery of the "I rock!" line was just...AWKWARD. I don't mean to rag on her, but I had to close my eyes at the little jig that she did after saying that line. :lol:

Maybe it's the writers...but it would have been better if Adam (or rather AJ) had delivered the line. But if it were Lindsay, I'd expected her to say something along the lines of "Thank God! Finally!", like what Faylinn said.

I don't really have strong positive or negative feelings towards the character, but I sure didn't miss her when she was MIA for a few episodes last season. :p But to be honest, Anna's acting hasn't been the most consistent. I thought she was okay in Season 2, but so far this season she's been just so-so. Maybe it's the stress of being a new mom? I dunno. She's really the weakest link in such a strong cast.

But then again, I saw her in Without a Trace, when she guest-starred in the 3rd season finale, and in the 4th season premiere. She was pretty good, I was a little impressed, so when I heard she was joining CSI: NY, I was a little happy. Now I'm like, "What happened?" :lol:

Maybe it's the writers...but it would have been better if Adam (or rather AJ) had delivered the line.
Oh, it was a pretty iffy little scene, to be sure. I don't think I would have liked it if anybody had done it--maybe a little declaration under their breath or something, but to say it loud and then dance--yeah, I would have wanted to smack Adam, too.

But yeah, definitely a combo of the lines themselves with the delivery.

And I didn't miss her when she was gone last season either--actually, it was nice to be able to watch an episode and not have to wonder in the back of my mind if she was going to show up and mess up a scene at any moment.

An excerpt from Carmine's interview back in June.

CSI Files: Danny does find himself in those kinds of situations quite a bit; he's kind of the 'damsel in distress' on the show. He gets locked in panic room, he gets taken hostage, the Tanglewood Boys are after him and so on. Why do you think Danny so often finds himself in danger?

Giovinazzo: I think that was the character we wanted to create. I think it's both that and what I came in and did with this character. I think it's that combination. Like I said from the beginning, Anthony wanted me to be this kind of [guy]--it wasn't exactly this, but the idea was he's that guy. Everybody else was a little bit more calm. So I ran with that in the beginning and wanted to create a character that has this kind of temperature. So the writers sat back and went, "So this is who this sucker is, so this is where he'd probably go." I think that's why it happened.

Tho' the writers have an idea of what they want the character to be like, its ultimately upto the actor to portray it believably. Anna, somehow, IMO, never managed to pull it off.

Though I agree she was given a crappy storyline, its still partly up to her what she does with her character. One important aspect of acting is the actor's ability to generate empathy or sympathy for their character. But even tho' Lindsay had a really bad experience in her childhood, I was never able to empathize or even sympathize with her. That is b'cos of the way she played it, IMO.

I just have to say that I'm glad Lindsay hasn't really been in a lot of scenes this season. Maybe Anna wanted to spend more time with her kid (which is a plus for us). I am, however, dreading the episode Boo.

About the 'I rock' scene: That was stupid. I agree with Fay. I would have been like 'finally' or 'it's about damn time' but 'I rock'??? Do you love yourself enough, Lindsay?

To me, Lindsay seems selfish and self-centered. Why is it always about her? I had to laugh when Mac didn't seem to care too much for her third grade hopscotch story. It was stupid and wasn't necessary. It was just a waste of time that could have been given to another character.

I still don't understand why Danny and Lindsay had that batmobile scene. Adam would have been the perfect person to geek out over the batmobile vs mach 5 although Adam would have probably sided with the batmobile too.

To me, Lindsay seems selfish and self-centered. Why is it always about her?
It must have been mentioned already, but I'll add in my 2 cents anyway. In Snow Day, too, Lindsay made it about her rather than Danny's well-being. What was it she said? "It's my fault, you wouldn't be here if you hadn't taken my shift?" I'm sure it's not the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of that.

I probably would've said something like, "Are you okay? Let's get you to the paramedics." Then after that she can apologize. :p

Ah, yes. The Mach 5 vs. Batmobile debate. What a waste. The scene would have worked so much better, had Danny been arguing about it with Adam. Hell, even Flack would've been a better choice than Lindsay. :D

For what it's worth, I would have sided with the Batmobile too. Hehe!

^The scene in "Snow Day" is a perfect example of her self-centeredness. Maybe it wouldn't have made sense for her to ask Danny if he was okay when he obviously wasn't, but some reassuring words like "You're safe now" or "I've got you, let's get you some medical attention" would have gone a long way to show how concerned she was about him. Instead, she makes it all about her and starts whining about it being her fault, which kind of forces him to reassure her. Which, interestingly, he didn't.

Anyway, yeah, I agree, the character's "me, me, me!" attitude is really off-putting. I don't see how the writers can think that's "cute" or "sweet" behavior. It doesn't help those of us who are trying to like her at all.

And yeah, I gotta say, the less Lindsay the better. She's not been around much for the eps this season and it's really helped. And those three eps she was gone for last year might not have been the best-written ones of the season, but they were strengthened by her absence.

And I think an episode like "Snow Day" really shows how little her character actually matters to the show as a whole. Everyone but her really had an essential part to play.

Rad said:
An excerpt from Carmine's interview back in June.

CSI Files: Danny does find himself in those kinds of situations quite a bit; he's kind of the 'damsel in distress' on the show. He gets locked in panic room, he gets taken hostage, the Tanglewood Boys are after him and so on. Why do you think Danny so often finds himself in danger?

Giovinazzo: I think that was the character we wanted to create. I think it's both that and what I came in and did with this character. I think it's that combination. Like I said from the beginning, Anthony wanted me to be this kind of [guy]--it wasn't exactly this, but the idea was he's that guy. Everybody else was a little bit more calm. So I ran with that in the beginning and wanted to create a character that has this kind of temperature. So the writers sat back and went, "So this is who this sucker is, so this is where he'd probably go." I think that's why it happened.

Tho' the writers have an idea of what they want the character to be like, its ultimately upto the actor to portray it believably. Anna, somehow, IMO, never managed to pull it off.

Exactly. Carmine hasn't been given such great stuff to work with because the writers were like, "Oh, let's make Danny a cool character." They think that about all of their characters. But Carmine is so good that people have written episodes for him because of what he does with Danny. "Trapped" was born out of the character's popularity.

Though I agree she was given a crappy storyline, its still partly up to her what she does with her character. One important aspect of acting is the actor's ability to generate empathy or sympathy for their character. But even tho' Lindsay had a really bad experience in her childhood, I was never able to empathize or even sympathize with her. That is b'cos of the way she played it, IMO.

Exactly. And I felt like that storyline was rushed not because of Anna's pregnancy but because of how poorly she played it. Even late in season two she was sucking wind out of scenes with her "emoting." The storyline would have played out better if she'd been a better actress.

Top41 said:
Anyway, yeah, I agree, the character's "me, me, me!" attitude is really off-putting. I don't see how the writers can think that's "cute" or "sweet" behavior. It doesn't help those of us who are trying to like her at all.

I totally agree!! A prime example is from "What Schemes May Come". In the flower scene, when Lindsay is telling the story, they cut to shots of Flack, Stella, & Hawkes all looking at each other and smiling about how cute she is. There was nothing subtle about that scene. I don't know if it was the direction or actually a part of the script, but it was obvious the show was trying to say "See how so very cute and sweet she is. All the other characters think so and you should too". :p If the character is well written and acted, nobody should have to drop an anvil on my head to get me to like her.

Lessien_Tinuviel said:
I'd have to agree. Anna's delivery of the "I rock!" line was just...AWKWARD. I don't mean to rag on her, but I had to close my eyes at the little jig that she did after saying that line. :lol:

Yes that was really sh*te writing, but I'm sorry I think that even Pinnochio (spelling?) could have acted that scene better ;) It was sooo cringe-worthy that I found myself pulling a scrunch face in absolute awe at how SAD it was. The little headjerk at the end was like a chicken :lol: I made myself cringe even more by thinking that she had may be rehearsed those few lines 100's of times, watching herself in the mirror. I could just imagine her saying to herself, 'Yea, that's it...even though I have no rhythm I'll do that dance. That'll make Lindsay look hip & cool' NOT :lol:

I didn't like that flower scene in What Schemes May Come. I didn't think Lindsay was very nice to Flack. He always seems to be annoyed with her.

Lindsay was totally useless in Snow Day. Clearly her only purpose was to do Danny. She managed to annoy Flack in that episode, too. Flack was just a little busy with the hostage situation. He didn't need her pestering him about Danny. BTW, Lindsay, Danny wasn't the only hostage. She could have at least pretended to be concerned and asked about Adam.

I've noticed that so far in Season 4, Lindsay's managed to make things about her, too. How much of this crap can Danny or anybody else stand? In The Deep, Hawkes is in trouble when he and Danny are diving and later on, the first thing that comes out of her mouth is praise for Danny. While there was nothing wrong with that, it was wrong that she didn't first be like: OMG, Danny are you ok? Is Hawkes ok? but did she do that? Of course not. As usual, she made it about her.

It makes me wonder if TPTB are doing that on purpose. Maybe that will be one of the factors that makes Danny run screaming away from her....her selfishness.

1CSIMfan said:
I didn't like that flower scene in What Schemes May Come. I didn't think Lindsay was very nice to Flack. He always seems to be annoyed with her.

It makes me wonder if TPTB are doing that on purpose. Maybe that will be one of the factors that makes Danny run screaming away from her....her selfishness.

She was patronizing him. It made me mad hearing that tone of superiority in her voice. “Well, that's true, Flack, but the flower also had… blah blah” The plant was grown in a greenhouse that was in the wind path of a chemical toxin. See, that simple & short. Saying in 10 sentences something that can be said in 1 won’t make you seem cute. I actually felt good seeing Mac snapping at her in The Deep.

So, if Flack’s being annoyed with her, she earned and deserves it.

And I don't think that TPTB do it on purpose. No matter what happens with Danny, they seem to wanna sell her as sweet and cute. :rolleyes:

You know what I find strange about Lindsay & Flack? They didn't even have an onscreen conversation until the begining of Charge of This Post, and after that Flack's always seemed(to me, at least) to keep a certain distance between them. Why did the writers wait so long for them to converse, I wonder?

"Stuck On You" is another example of Lindsay being anything but cute. First, after Mac laughs at a joke Danny tells, Lindsay says, in a really snotty tone, "He wasn't laughing, he was just humoring you." Now she should know that Mac likes stupid jokes(Corporate Warriors: Mac pulls the head off of a dead guy, saying, "Sometimes, NOT everything is connected.") And then she finds out through snooping that Mac plays bass at a jazz joint. She calls Danny down and rubs this news in his face: "Guess you didn't know him as well as you thought." Uhhh, Lindsay, that's because Danny actually has respect for his boss's privacy. Now, maybe if Mac had volunteered the information himself you could brag(but it'd still have been grating) but he didn't so you don't. Care to explain what was so "cute" or "sweet" about that?

EDIT: I had meant to say Charge of This Post! Don't know why I typed Snow Day instead. Must be the cold medicine. :lol:

^^The comment about Mac just humoring Danny annoyed me--so what if he was? It was a lame joke, that doesn't mean you have to point it out. :rolleyes: And then I'll-show-you-up-by-stalking-our-boss-and-displaying-the-results-of-my-batshittery.

Flack and Lindsay spoke a few times prior to "Snow Day". Not many that come to mind, though. The water tower thing in the episode with the 'cursed' building, "Charge of this Post"...

I liked Mac's little chuckle at Danny's joke in Stuck on You, but Lindsay's comment afterwards I'd rather forget. *eyeroll* I ain't a fan of her snooping either. Mac's obviously a very private person and besides, why do you need to know so much personal stuff about your boss anyway? But her enthusiasm about firing the fancy bow and arrows was okay though. It shows she does waaay better in lighter scenes.

I think it's funny that Flack and Lindsay hardly ever talk directly to each other, even when they're in the same scene! :lol: I remember in Season 2, "Stealing Home", they were on the case together, they even interviewed a guy at his office, but never spoke to each other. I think there's one other episode I saw recently, don't recall if it was S2 or S3, but they were interrogating someone together. They hardly had eye contact, and didn't speak to each other even as they were leaving the room.

Maybe Flack doesn't have much patience for her batshittery (to quote Faylinn) either. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back