Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always makes me sad when I hear Anna has chased away viewers.

I don't think I watched a single CSI:NY episode last season. Granted, I have been incredibly busy with about 3 major life projects, but when I prioritized the things I needed to hold on to in order to relax, watching CSI:NY got bumped from the list because I can't stand Lindsay and Anna's acting is painful. I literally cringe when she attempts to act like a tough chick.

I only gave the show a chance this season because my fiance watched the season premiere while I was at work and later told me that it was a pretty decently written episode and that Lindsay was barely in it. I tuned in the next week and thoroughly enjoyed the episode and the fact that Lindsay was on screen for less than 5 minutes total for the whole show. Same for the week after that (although by that point I made a game of making a retching noise every time Lindsay did appear in a scene. Juvenile, I know, but it distracts me from the pain of having to watch her.)

I didn't see this past week's show and I was planning on watching it on the computer. However, after hearing that Lindsay seems to have more screen time than in previous episodes this season, I'm hesitant to waste my time with it. It also makes me hesitant to tune in next week. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who feels they'd rather just completely miss a show that they truly enjoy the premise of, as well as most of the other actors in the ensemble, than suffer through one actor's abhorrent performance. There are better ways to spend an hour.

As for other actresses would could have played Lindsay better than Anna does and who would have made her a truly likable character? I can think of two off the top of my head: Kate Mara and Amy Acker. Kate was in Jack & Bobby and Brokeback Mountain (as Heath Ledger's character's daughter) and Amy Acker was in Angel and Drive. Both are gorgeous, but not in that typical pretty girl way, and both have proved adept at playing country girls. Each has the spirit and charm to make a character lovable, something that I think is at the core of what Anna lacks. I think we'd all be able to forgive Lindsay a lot if Anna brought a warmth to her performace, a depth that made us like Lindsay even when we don't agree with her or what she's doing (like Carmine does with Danny).
I like Amy Acker, from her appearance on Supernatural during the show's 1st season. ;) Didn't watch Angel or Drive, but I agree that she's gorgeous, not a mention a pretty good actress. Better than Anna. Kate Mara I'm not too familiar with too, but I remembered her Brokeback Mountain role, and she also had a very small role in a movie called Tadpole, starring Aaron Stanford. :)

Even though I'm not very familiar with both actresses, from what I've seen from them, I think they definitely have the depth of doing a great job of playing Lindsay. Much better than Anna, anyway. But that's a given. :p

I was watching "Boo" again last night, and her robotic voice in the beginning when she was filming the crime scene really bothered me this time. :lol: I don't really get why the scene was neccesary though, they don't usually do that at crime scenes. And can she get any more distant at the hospital with little Rose? "This is Detective Monroe, and this is Detective Messer." :rolleyes: Yo, the little girl just regained consciousness after getting shot in the gut, Montana. I felt it would've been better if she'd just said "I'm Lindsay and this is Danny", something simpler like that.

I have a feeling I will only grow to hate the character, based on some spoilers on an upcoming episode in which she is being a bit of an ass to Danny. ;) Right now, it's only disappointment and a slight dislike. I don't want to hate on any character in my beloved show, but I just can't help it with Lindsay. Ugh.

*end rant* I guess I'm in a bit of a ranting mood today. :lol:

Lessien_Tinuviel said:
I like Amy Acker, from her appearance on Supernatural during the show's 1st season. ;) Didn't watch Angel or Drive, but I agree that she's gorgeous, not a mention a pretty good actress. Better than Anna. Kate Mara I'm not too familiar with too, but I remembered her Brokeback Mountain role, and she also had a very small role in a movie called Tadpole, starring Aaron Stanford. :)

Even though I'm not very familiar with both actresses, from what I've seen from them, I think they definitely have the depth of doing a great job of playing Lindsay. Much better than Anna, anyway. But that's a given. :p

They're both great, and I'm sure if we thought about it, we could probably come up with a list of a dozen or more actresses who would have really been perfect for this role. Alas, we're stuck with Anna.

I was watching "Boo" again last night, and her robotic voice in the beginning when she was filming the crime scene really bothered me this time. :lol: I don't really get why the scene was neccesary though, they don't usually do that at crime scenes. And can she get any more distant at the hospital with little Rose? "This is Detective Monroe, and this is Detective Messer." :rolleyes: Yo, the little girl just regained consciousness after getting shot in the gut, Montana. I felt it would've been better if she'd just said "I'm Lindsay and this is Danny", something simpler like that.

That struck me as weird, too, but I chalked that up to Lindsay not being very good with children. She's awkward and uncomfortable around them--I remember how fake she was with the little girl in "City of the Dolls." So maybe that's supposed to be a character trait.

I have a feeling I will only grow to hate the character, based on some spoilers on an upcoming episode in which she is being a bit of an ass to Danny. ;) Right now, it's only disappointment and a slight dislike. I don't want to hate on any character in my beloved show, but I just can't help it with Lindsay. Ugh.

I think her behavior to all the other characters is what makes me dislike her. She's been an ass to Sid (when she snatched the swab from him) and an ass to Stella (when she told her to "Leave me alone!" after Lindsay bailed out on a crime scene!), too. The recipient of most of her bad behavior is Danny, though. I think Carmine described it best when he used the term "punching bag" for what Danny was to her last season. It's hard to like any character who's treating another character like that.

It's a shame really that the character (and the actress) suck. There was soo much potential here, I mean if they wanted someone from the country couldn't they give us some kicka$$ tough country girl instead of this whiny thing. I think the writers were trying to make Lindsay sweet and kind but with Anna's wacting (wannabe acting) she is horrid. Personally i don't see the attraction in Lindsay, my sister adores her but I just don't know what the appeal is. And the whole all her friends got shot plot but crap with a capital C. I mean couldn't they just say she was going back to Montana for a while because I dunno, Her father was sick or her cousin was pregnant. She's a pretty lass but no, Lindsay Munroe ain't do it for me and I'm obviously not the only one.

Kate Mara
She was a guest in the other CSI shows, right? If I remember right... in CSI:LV. I like her.

Like poison_girl said, we can only lay so much blame at the writers' feet. After all, every other character on the show is compelling, interesting and lovable. The same writers created seven other fantastic characters (Mac, Stella, Danny, Flack, Hawkes, Sid, Adam) and many other supporting ones too. And yet Lindsay is the only one that many people dislike. So I have to go out on a limb and say that's Anna, not the writers.

Well, at the end of the day, it's up to the actor to make something out of the material given to them. Every characted had one or two bad material to work with in the four seasons of the show and not all of Lindsey's are actually bad. Her "mothers" thing had A LOT of promise. But maybe because of reasons unclear and unjustified, they let that die as if it wasn't even born.

Look at Stella's predictable HIV scare. It was sooooo painfully predictable but Melina made it work. She looked and felt scared.

I remember how fake she was with the little girl in "City of the Dolls." So maybe that's supposed to be a character trait.
Oh damn! That little girl totally brushed her off! :lol: My brother and I were laughing sooooo much!

The little girl in "Boo" wasn't too taken with Lindsay's offer with a teddy bear either. :lol: And it looked like she preferred to make eye contact with Danny rather than Lindsay.

Yeah sidlewannabee, care to elaborate? I have no problem engaging in a friendly debate, but you need to expand some more on your post and explain why Lindsay's your favorite character out of the rest of the cast.

I'm surprised they removed all the mooshy D/L moments from Boo that were in the spoliers. I'm relieved, but a little confused. It makes me wonder what will happen with the future shows, not just possible D/L moments, but all the scenes.

Carrieattheprom said:

I'm surprised they removed all the mooshy D/L moments from Boo that were in the spoliers. I'm relieved, but a little confused. It makes me wonder what will happen with the future shows, not just possible D/L moments, but all the scenes.

I kinda gloss over anything to do with the D/L pairing because, to the extent possible, I like to pretend it doesn't exist. So, while I don't really know what "mooshy" moments you are talking about, I am glad they were cut. The fewer moments I see of D/L as a couple, the happier I am. Actually, I prefer to see as little of Lindsay as is possible but since they have to put her in the show then I prefer they do it where she is just strictly doing her job. She can come on the screen state the facts and nothing but the facts and then leave the scene -- no emoting necessary. She really just can't hold a candle to any of the rest of the cast when it comes to doing emotional scenes.

As much as this is a good thing, but I'm kinda scared of what this could mean. I mean, sure they cut down majorly on the D/L scenes per episode but what if along the way, there will be one episode where there will be TOTAL D/L invasion -- all in one go. Ala-"Snow Day", a huge shocker in one episode.

After all, they know now that constant bombardment of D/L every episode is severely unhealthy.

chaostheory08 said:
As much as this is a good thing, but I'm kinda scared of what this could mean. I mean, sure they cut down majorly on the D/L scenes per episode but what if along the way, there will be one episode where there will be TOTAL D/L invasion -- all in one go. Ala-"Snow Day", a huge shocker in one episode.

After all, they know now that constant bombardment of D/L every episode is severely unhealthy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: The word invasion made me laugh big time. Ya know what it reminded me of? Mars Attack! Giant, green-brained aliens everywhere, pouncing on you out of nowhere and then flooding the entire earth attempting to assimilate you or kill you for not being like them! :p It was such a silly movie.

Well, the way Danny and Lindsay have been interacting from the season premiere, it would be pretty lol-worthy if TPTB suddenly popped up another total D/L episode ala Snow Day out of the blue, especially knowing they cut out all the D/L moments in episode 4x06 and knowing the spoilers for episode 4x13. It doesn't make sense. They do that, and I think quite a number of us are just gonna laugh at how mediocorely soap-operaish that would be. And man, the day a CSI show is better known for ridiculous, illogical plots and juvenile relationshippy developments than solid cases and character work is the day it's in deep doodoo.

Oh wait. :p

*sings Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call"*

^That's the song that was playing when the green brains started to explode haha.

Oh well, the writers don't surprise me anymore. What I would want... a scene with Lindsey and Flack. A conversation between the "girlfriend" and the best friend.

I wondered about the DL scenes from "Boo" being cut as well. You know, one thing I wondered about...the director for "Boo" wasn't one of the usual directors for NY--makes me wonder if maybe he was less than pleased with her acting in some scenes and had input in getting them cut? That's supposition, though, and those scenes could have been cut at any stage. But it is interesting that they were cut.

Lindsay's screentime really has been cut this year--a good thing overall. And if the DL silliness is being cut down, too, she really won't have much to do but give lab results, which is just fine (if they've got to keep her on the show, that is ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back