Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. althea

althea Lab Technician

Lindsay is one dysfunctional character with multiple personalities all because of TPTB.
    In the second season when she is introduced to the audience she changed by the episode. One of my ultimate moments was in All Access when all of a sudden she was so upset over what had happened to Stella she could apparantly hardly do her work yet up until that point we had not seen a shred of evidence to proof that they were particularly close. And even then Anna Belknap's acting was exactly like that ACTING it was like she was reading it off from the script she might as well have had it in her hand in the shot.

2. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Those two episodes where her only appearance was just in the opening credits were two of the better ones of the season.

I actually think differently. Then again, it's your opinion against mine. We might not see the same things or we interpret things differently. Looking back when Aiden was still there, it was like one big happy family. When Lindsey entered, the coherence was gone and it seemed like there is tension always in the air. Until now, she has not fit anywhere with the team.

It is insulting, I agree. I mean, come to think of it, her being with Danny is prolly on the bottom of our list of not liking Lindsey. Personally, my dislike of her is based on her flat story and performance, uselessness and irrelevance to everything in and about the show.

Amen! Adam deserves the opening credits spot more than Lindsey as he contributes more to the show that she does. And "she's doing her job" and then Adam's not since he says that he "does not know yet"... psh... come on...

3. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

Exactly, Lindsay's character is sort of... all over the place and inconsistent. She doesn't really seem to anything much. She just... is there. When she has charming/witty/funny lines, she doesn't pull them off either.
    She comes off as dull and boring.

To be honest, I think part of it is ultimately about... Anna. She can handle the light stuff (alright, but not exceptionally great either), but when it comes to serious-God, she's just terrible. And with funny stuff, it doesn't work either. She fails to deliver with punch and force.

4. chaostheory08

^I think so. At some point, the actor must be able to pull of what is needed/being asked no matter how terrible the material is.

And yet, the way TPTB wrote Lindsey... she's just all over the place. It's like they didn't really have anything planned for her. She just put her there and put their trust to the wind.

5. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Ok, retract claws. I wasn't telling you what to think, I was merely stating what I think. I do enjoy her character so I was just putting in my two cents.
    You can think whatever you want, I wasn't telling you to change your opinion. Calm down.

6. audrina

audrina Police Officer

I will agree that the character has not been written well - no matter who the actor is, there is no excuse for bad writing (I guess the flip side of the actors should transcend material arguement, which I also agree with, I just don't think Anna's a bad actor). Lindsay was all over the place last season. This year, to me, it at least looks like they're allowing her to return to how she was in season 2 - focused on her job, excited to find clues - which I do prefer to the up and down action of 3.

7. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

What is disappointing and terrible about Lindsay's character going here and there and nowhere at the same time in season three is that it's become permanent damage for the character. If the writers had maintained her as she was at the start of season two when she first joined, she might have been more well-received and perhaps merged much better with the rest of the team by now.

But considering it's been two whole seasons since she's been on the show and people are still wondering who she is and where the heck she actually fits in, it's too late for any 'returning' for her. The fact that we are even discussing her needing to 'return' to a previous personality says volumes about the weakness of her character, a main character on the cast at that. At this point, I just hope it's not too late for Danny whose his character has been assassinated and ground like raw meat for the sake of propping up a weak character portrayed by an actress who is unable to deliver appropriate, believable emotion.

And speaking of delivering believable scenes ... does anyone find it ironic that the main disputes in the episode review threads for season four are about Lindsay's scenes? When it comes to the other actors on the cast, there's never any confusion or disagreement over what emotion is conveyed with what line; it's clear-cut and understandable. However, when it comes to Lindsay's moments, there are always opposing opinions. I think that says a lot about Anna Belknap's acting abilities. (Yes, I am aware that some of the opposing opinions are influenced by shipper preferences, but the fact that people are even arguing about what sentiment Lindsay is supposed to be conveying is already very telling.)

8. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

^ That's a great point, Kimmy. In a strong performance, one never wonders what emotion was being conveyed. If it is effectively communicated to the audience, there shouldn't be room for debate. The whole issue of whether Lindsay was self-absorbed in her hopelessness or genuinely worried about Danny and Hawkes is something we shouldn't have to speculate about. If Lindsay is able to look beyond herself, we should feel that. But we don't, which speaks to the caliber of the performance.

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

And that's an Anna problem. She really doesn't inhabit Lindsay the way the other actors do. Take Danny--we could discuss why he was uncomfortable with the praise being heaped upon him for saving Hawkes, but there was no doubt that he clearly was uncomfortable with it. Carmine made that very clear with his expression and his tone. And Hill conveyed that Hawkes was shaken by his ordeal, and how much what Danny did meant to him.

Whereas with Lindsay, it always feels like Anna is reading from a script and not putting any thought or depth into her performance. I don't think everything that's been written for Lindsay has been bad, but Anna doesn't even rise to the material, much less transcend it.

10. privatename

privatename Rookie

Ticomo77 wrote:

First, I completely agree that she has a know-it-all attitude and it grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

Second, and this is what made me want to respond to your post, I can't agree with you more that it was really inappropriate for Lindsay to smear something on someone's upper lip without asking first. I just saw that episode for the first time earlier this week in a repeat. Gahhhh. It was ridiculous and awkward that she would do that to anyone -- especially since she was relatively new to the team at that point and he is her boss! She should have asked him first if it was okay or, better yet, asked to put some on his fingers and then had him put it under his own nose. I guess it was written the way it happened, but I can't help but feel that a better actor would have used some head nod or tilt or some unspoken method of asking for permission before just jabbing at someone else's face. Does that make sense??

Also, and I think it was the same episode, she looked like she ripped something out of Sid's hands at an autopsy. It looked like Sid looked at her odd for that, too. I guess that is a director thing, but man it made her look overly aggressive and rude.

Top41 wrote:

Very well put. I think this is a very good point.

11. chaostheory08

The writers might be thinking: The "accidental bump with Danny" storyline is more exciting to write than the "tough country girl from Montana trying to prove herself to the big city folks". So lets develop that and throw caution to the wind. It would be better though if she just stayed inside the lab -- less space to move and less airtime.

I hope he's not too tired. I mean two years of propping up a useless character takes its toll on you. Like I said on my LJ (the fic challenge post), Danny needs to be paid double -- being a CSI and being a support beam.

True. All the Flack scenes are great (bias aside haha) and Mac, Stella... no problems there. I remember during the Frankie thing, the storyline was a bit too much but Melina still got praises for her performance.

Anna's performances are always self-conscious and cold. Like reading off the script -- very mechanical. Even when she tried to be bad cop ("Never point the spout at your guest" line), it didn't work.

I loved that scene because of the Mac/Stella interaction. But yeah, I agree... it's kinda rude to just smear (violently at that) something on somebody's upperlip. Not to mention bring a smelly liquid into somebody's office.

12. sydneycsi

sydneycsi Dead on Arrival

As much as the writers love the character of Lindsay and hey they created her they did a f***ed up job. I feel nothing for her character, don't get me wrong I don't hate Lindsay but I don't love her either,which is a shame because she could've been great, now she just bores me.

Unfortunately for Anna she's just not that great an actress which reflects in her portrayl of Lindsay, anyway now I'm over it,

Reality is TPTB created her and it's their fault for the debacle that is Lindsay.

13. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

I find it really, really sad that there has to be a commentary in the promo pictures proclaiming how "in love" Danny and Lindsay are. Evidently there's not enough to convince us of it on screen, so now we're left with making "perfect hearts" in pictures and pointing out "OMG, THEY SO IN LUV!" at every available opportunity.

Thanks for that. No, really. I mean, it might have helped if you'd had them wearing tees with each other's names and faces on, but otherwise I appreciate the clue that THEY'RE SO IN LUV.

(Lindsay and Danny, the baby-food relationship of crime shows. Spoon fed, whether you like it or not. Say aaaaaaargh for the choo choo!)

... course, what we don't see is the "after" shot, where he backhands her off the girder-thing for stealing his sammich...

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^Well, there's no on screen chemistry and Danny sure doesn't seem to be feeling the love, so I guess they have to sell it however they're going to sell it.

It's funny--Lindsay is less offensive so far this season in the lab and not being featured prominently, but it also serves as a reminder for how she brings nothing to the show, and in the few scenes she has, is merely an irritant. The character is truly useless.

15. chaostheory08

It's interesting that they're confining her to the lab (thank you, writers and boss Mac haha). And even with her lessened airtime, you still have a complete show (although, it's better if Adam's there) ;) . All her scenes so far seemed awkward and uncomfortable.

I think the writers finally got it -- that it won't work. So they're doing everything they can -- mentioning it in all interviews, stating the obvious, pictures and such -- so they can save their asses. Then later on, they'll go on, continuing what they've "started" in hopes of redeeming themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.