Why Lindsay Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has been dead for a while, so here's my attempt at resurecting it:

Would there be any way for Lindsay to redeem herself to the point where you like her, or at least want to keep her on the show?

There are some things that could be done to make Lindsey somewhat more palatable, in my opinion:

1) The writers could develop a greater awareness of Anna's strengths/weaknesses as an actress and play to them. The scenes that require anger or intensity come off as laughable, but cute, light-hearted Lindsey works okay. The character has had some light moments with Mac that I think Anna performed well. More of the light stuff could highlight Anna's strengths as an actress and make the character more appealing.

2) I hate that I'm about to say this because the strength of a character isn't found in her appearance, but I'd like to see Lindsey get a make over. Sex the girl up a bit. She's too plain to be a believable object of Danny's affection. However, I have seen some decent pictures of Anna that have nothing to do with CSI:NY. She can be made to look a bit more appealing. That dullness Lindsey currently sports is likely part of the whole country girl thing, where I'm sure we're to believe women don't even wear make-up. However, I think an edgier look might bring life to a boring character.

3) Lindsey needs a really great backstory. Make that dark secret she's hiding something truly unique. In order for the character to be interesting enough to draw the audience in, she can't just be some plain country bumpkin the hottie CSI is inexplicably pursuing. She needs to have a rivoting storyline that stands on its own, separate and apart from whatever Lindsey and Danny share this season.

That's my two cents. I'm not a fan of the character or the actress who plays her, but since she doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon, there are always ways to improve any situation.

ETA: I was typing at the same time as you were, MrsG. ;) I like your post, I think it addresses some real issues that could improve the character. :)

Now that I can look back on the second season as a whole, I don't think I dislike Lindsay as much as I originally thought I did--if that makes any sense. :p There were certainly problems with the character, which can almost always be put down to the writing, but overall I think there's a good chance that I will like Lindsay more in the third season.

I still think that the premise of the Montana girl coming to NYC is interesting, and could make for some great storylines, if only the writers would be conscious of what it really means to be a 'Montana girl.' I've gone searching for photos and information about Bozeman, Montana on the internet, and from the way they've portrayed Lindsay so far, you'd think it was the middle of nowhere, when in actuality Bozeman is a college town with a great mix of people and culture. Even if Lindsay was not raised in Bozeman, we know that she worked there for three years prior to moving to NYC. I'd like to see the writers acknowledge that Lindsay is from a place with so much more to offer than wheat fields and rawhide braiding. I've seen some interesting discussions of Lindsay's character that talked about a possible connection to the theater (a very real possibility since she seemed to know about "Wicked" in the episode "Youngblood"), and I think that would be a wonderful way to tie in some real knowledge of Bozeman and a new facet to this character. Perhaps the theater was one of the aspects of NY that drew Lindsay to this big city rather than another that might have been closer to home. It would also be a nice tie-in for Anna as an actress. ;)

So much of the criticism of Lindsay's character has stemmed from the fact that, over the course of the season, there wasn't one definite personality that the viewers could identify. I've seen other posters identify 3 separate 'Lindsays' and that's been a problem. However, I think season 3 should show a change for the better in this regard. The writers have had a season to establish this character, and now I think she should settle into the one identity that will stick with her, which I'm sure will be a more even synthesis of the various personalities that we've seen so far. Personally, I'm partial to the 'tough' Lindsay that we saw early on in season 2, and from the hints we've seen for season 3 so far, I'm confident that this aspect of the character won't be neglected. :)

One major point of contention among viewers regarding Lindsay is the potential relationship with Danny. Now, regardless of my personal views on this, I hope that, whatever the writers choose to do, they don't continue to have so much of Lindsay's development rely on this interaction. Particularly in the latter half of season 2, we rarely saw Lindsay without Danny, and that's a detriment to her character. I'd love to see her interact with all of the members of the team. :)

I think that there's definitely the possibility to bridge the gap between those who love Lindsay and those who aren't too sure about her. I for one am hoping that season 3 will offer ample opportunities for me to increase my enjoyment of the character. :D

^ITA with your point Faylinn that Lindsay needs to be developed as a character in her own right, not just with Danny. I like Lindsay, but missed the earlier parts of the season when she mixed with other players more, such as Mac and Stella. In particular I would like to see her interact with Hawkes - I think they might have good acting chemistry, since Anna and Hill worked together before.

To actually make me like Lindsay is a big thing. Let's just try to make her palatable for starters. I almost enjoyed watching her in Stuck On You. Anna seemed to be having fun and that showed through her characterization of Lindsay. Stick with this. But seeing that this is a crime show, we can't always have a happy sorta storyline. In the event that the plot requires some heavY acting by the casts, I would suggest using Anna sparingly. A tad harsh, I know, but this is me being honest.

I agree with Fay. So-ooo, Bozeman really isn't in the middle of nowhere? It doesn't make her any less a country girl if the writers reveal that her hometown doesn't actually have a population of 200. And what is this dark secret they keep teasing us with? Are they gonna let us know anytime this decade? Honestly, I don't really care much but if it's something different than I've ever seen, I might just have to watch it, just to feed my curiousity.

As for Danny and Lindsay having a thang, erm, there is nothing the writers can do to make me like this shipping. Unless Flack shows up and whups her Montana butt, nothing. Nada.

Celefinwe said:
As for Danny and Lindsay having a thang, erm, there is nothing the writers can do to make me like this shipping. Unless Flack shows up and whups her Montana butt, nothing. Nada.
Ooooh yeah, now that would definitely interest me. :devil: I wonder how poor Flack is going to feel about his man crush going for someone else?

^^I don't think Flack is gonna be too thrilled about his man crush straying. Hopefully he won't stray for long and he'll come to his senses and realize where he should be. :rolleyes:

To actually make me like Lindsay is a big thing. Let's just try to make her palatable for starters. I almost enjoyed watching her in Stuck On You. Anna seemed to be having fun and that showed through her characterization of Lindsay. Stick with this. But seeing that this is a crime show, we can't always have a happy sorta storyline. In the event that the plot requires some heavY acting by the casts, I would suggest using Anna sparingly. A tad harsh, I know, but this is me being honest.

I too enjoyed watching her in Stuck on You. That is the Lindsay I could get to like. Anna does the lighter stuff much better than she handles the heavier stuff. It would be nice to see Lindsay kinda in the background for the heavier stuff (but after seeing s3 spoilers, that doesn't look like it's gonna happen). If they would do that then that would give them a chance to bring Hawkes to the front.

Anna was cute in Stuck on You. The lighter stuff works for her. I'll be honest and tell you that I'm a little worried about s3 if they're going to have Lindsey deal with heavy scenes and have Danny do the romantic thing with her. It's as if they're writing to the two actor's weaknesses. Not that I'm one of those who is going to whine that I'll stop watching. That's never gonna happen. I just see the potential for some weak performances in s3.

I agree with the lighter Lindsay being the best choice. I just don't like watching her try to handle the angst, because Anna isn't doing a great job with it. Maybe she's not comfortable with it, maybe she's not feeling with the character, but it's not working.

I saw the cuteness with Danny and Lindsay initially but now it's all angst, angst, angst--one of them having some sort of drama or another. I'm not a fan of the pairing, but it worked best when they were doing the cutesy stuff mid-season. The actors seemed more into it then and were able to sell it better.

But I think if Lindsay is to be a fully developed character in her own right that has to happen independent of Danny, and I just don't see the show going in that direction.

So, now that we're two episodes in to the new season, do people still think that Lindsay must go? There has been a lot of discussion over in other threads, but I just thought this one could use a bump ;)

Well, someone asked about this thread, so I went looking for it. Looks like Springmoon beat me to it. :lol:

My opinions of the character during season 3 so far are better than my opinons of her last season. Of course, there have only been two episodes to judge by, and it's over the long term that I think I would notice the discrepancies that caused the character to be so inconsistent last season.

It's important to note that this thread isn't the place to discuss the Danny/Lindsay pairing that may or may not be happening on the show. Discussing it with regards to the character is unavoidable, but I don't think this needs to turn into a discussion of the ship itself.

The point of this thread is to debate about Lindsay's character, so if anybody has something to say for either side, let's get the discussion going. :)

(And please don't just jump in and complain about this being a thread full of 'bashing'--expressing a negative opinion isn't bashing, and we have excellent moderators in this forum to make sure that it doesn't devolve into that. :))

I for one liked Lindsey at the beginning of last season, then quickly got annoyed with her. I like the fun freshness she had, but I didn't like her faux-angsty scenes towards the end.

This season... I think it's too soon to tell, but I did really like her in the second episode. I thought overall her character was well utilized and written.

The first episode, I didn't like her quite as much. She kind of annoyed me with that Tie-scenario. But I was too annoyed at the Mac/Peyton thing to notice her much. ;)

I must say that last season I was definately opposed to this character and thought she should go.

Of course, we are only two episodes in right now but Lindsay hasn't really gotten on my nerves yet. Things could change though so I'll reserve judgement until we see more episodes.

Yeah, the hedgehogs idea is a good one.

She didn't bother me in "Not What It Looks Like" but she did in the premiere, which suggests to me that the writers still don't quite have a handle on her character. I think the romance stuff has developed at the expense of developing her character, which is never a good thing.

I also kind of think there's just something not likable about her. I liked Peyton and Angell right away, which lets me know it's specific to Lindsay. I'm curious to see if she'll grow on me this season, but I'm not really holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back