Why Lindsay Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faylinn said:
And I respectfully point out that I said there would be little to discuss in here since the season is over. I posted that line in an attempt to stop the redundant arguments that keep cycling around this thread. If there is something new to say (or to add to a previous discussion), by all means talk about it, but I fail to see the appeal in simply repeating what's already been said countless times. The comment wasn't aimed toward a specific person or position on the issue, just the fact that so much of what is said has already been said before.

That statement is true of many threads from discussions of the hotness of Danny to the prettiness of Flack's eyes, to the Lindsay hair debate, to more serious topics such as Danny's past and the possibility of abuse, so why would this thread in particular have to limit any redundancy when it is prevalent throughout the forum.

As a teacher I spent countless hours listening and facilitating raging debates on the final moments of Kate Chopin's The Awakening and on a personal note as a friend, I have listened to the same stories about broken hearts and the first moments of new love repeatedly. Rehashing is a negative spin on what I prefer to think of as expanding on previous statements, because it may awaken a new thought - a eureka moment if you will.

Failing to see the appeal does not mean there is not a need, because isn't that what this thread is all about. I fail to see the need for Anna's addition to CSI: NY and yet, it happened anyway. Some people failed to see the need to watch the show prior to Anna's arrival and are now stalwart viewers. Appeal like talent is in the eye of the beholder.

Let us not forget that this thread was teeming along with little warfare until a single poster equated the words of those within with the idiotic. By the way I would like to offer a hardy welcome back to that old "friend,” you've been gone too long. I guess my point is that is the people who mainly read and post in here have no problem voicing and re-voicing ad nauseam with only the occasional new thought as there are no new episodes why would anyone attempt to place limitations on that speech?

Honestly, if rehashing is the problem then the entire board should shut down during the hiatus, with all due respect.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Anna's acting is a matter of preference. I'm starting to wonder if it's not so much that I think she's a bad actress as that I just don't connect to her acting. Thoughts?

Any artistic performance is a matter of preference that is why they are open to debate as opposed to something like the year the Civil War ended, which is firmly entrenched in fact. I prefer Beethoven to Bach, Realism to Impressionism, and on and on. I prefer season one to season two. I prefer that Lindsay not be part of the cast as the show moves forward. It is all opinion, it is all subjective, and I think most people get that.

Ali

audrina said:
1CSIMfan said:
Hammerback's scene was the worst. When Lindsay asked him why Danny called her Montana (how stupid can she be?) and Hammerback replied "because he's got a crush on you". I got ill. That was so untrue and so totally unnecessary. It didn't even make sense. Even we know why he calls her Montana.

Hello, I'm popping out of my hole again to make one small point. Lindsay didn't seriously ask Hammerbeck why Danny called her Montana. They were talking about the calluses (sp?) on the dead girl's hands, and Linday was explaining them. Hammerbeck looked surprised at her knowledge, and she said, rhetorically, IMO: Do you think Danny calls me Montana because I'm a 49ers fan? Something close to that, anyway. I do kind of agree that it seemed out of the blue and a bit out of place for him to say it (the crush part, which I'm not debating), but Lindsay didn't say "Gee, Sid? Why oh why does Danny call me Montana?" My take anyway.

Okay, that's it for me. Have a great day all.

I would just like to say that I enjoy you popping in this thread too audrina . :) Sorry if I misquoted (well I didn't actually quote because I couldn't remember the exact quote :rolleyes:) the whole thing with Hammerback. Like you said, it came out of the blue (I also thought her question came out of the blue too) and caught me off guard. I know the connection between Montana and the 49er's but I don't understand why she asked. :(

Of course Anna can't take the blame for that. I blame the writers for that. There was no need for that to be in there really. It didn't really have anything to do with anything.

I'm just waiting for season 3 to see what Lindsay will be like. Will it be another roller coaster ride or will TPTB and Anna finally click with Lindsay? While overall, I dislike the character, I have found a few of her scenes quite funny and that is the Lindsay I could live with like on Stuck on You when she was shooting the bow. Also in Bad Beat when she was digging around in the dumpster and when she confronted the guys when they were watching the video. We need more of that Lindsay.

Okay, now that the war seems to be slightly over - God, I hope I didn't just jinx the thread - all I have to say is that I agree with everyone as to why Lindsay's character has not improved this show but instead help lead it in a direction that I have been praying that it would have never gone to.

My love for CSI:NY began at Blink, the very moment this series took off and now that we have gone straight into season two with a new feeling, I don't have as much passion as I had before it. Bringing it Lindsay didn't add anything to the New York feeling we all recieved in season one. Instead, she became the outsider and shaped the show to her standards.

My feeling is, if Lindsay goes, I'll get my old CSI:NY back and that's seriously all I want. Where are the characters and the chemistry I had fallen in love with?

tuesdaymorning said:
Where are the characters and the chemistry I had fallen in love with?

Unfortunately, I don't think that the show will ever get the feel it originally had back. You can't take away a season's worth of bad acting and worse storylines.

Wow, nothing like trying to be a mediator and getting it thrown back in your face, I suppose. My comment was based on the fact that, in this thread in particular, when the comments go back to the same place, then the same tension starts to appear throughout the forum. I might not like Lindsay, but I dislike the barely-controlled hostility even more. If the conversation continues to take the same paths as it has in the past, then I can't very well stop those who are posting, can I? The main reason that I asked the question in the first place was in an attempt to facilitate some new discussion, or at least some expansion of the current 'why' and 'how' opinions that we've seen. It doesn't hurt for anybody to try to examine their views and develop their opinion on a matter. But in the end it comes down to the fact that I asked for something, that does not mean that I will necessarily receive it.

My comment about the acting was my own attempt to evaluate why I do not like a character that is widely appreciated on this site and elsewhere. I thought that, perhaps, I did not personally feel connected with Anna's acting and that it may have been part of why I fail to see the appeal she brings to other viewers. The intent was clearly to facilitate discussion, but obviously there was no need--you've effectively told me in one post that there was no need to share this opinion because, surely, everyone cannot be so stupid at this point.

I am clearly not one of the "people who mainly read and post in here," so perhaps that is why I don't feel the need to be involved in redundant conversations. However, a friendly request can hardly be termed as an "attempt to place limitations on that speech." I'm not a moderator in this forum and was merely saying something that I as a poster would like to see in this thread. However, given that this has not been taken well by the 'regulars,' I will perhaps simply lurk until I see a topic worth expanding upon. :)

Edited to add: This conversation has been taken to Private Messages, so feel free to resume your regularly-scheduled conversation.

I'm going slightly off topic and not focus solely on Lindsay for a sec. IMO, season two has been one of transition. A major character - Aidan - left the show, and was replaced by her opposite, basically. At the same time, it experienced a new "look" - the brightness and all that, and pulled another major character from one place to another - Hawkes going from ME to CSI - then kind of being left out in the cold.

My opinion on all this? They're experimenting. A lot of the viewing public was skeptical about the show, it being the third CSI, and I don't think it - despite having enough success to stay on the air - performed as well as CBS wanted to. IMO? Hence come the changes.

What I'm getting to is, despite the fact that many of you can't stand Lindsay, give the show a chance to regain its equilibrium. If the Lindsay character is turning the bulk of viewers off (I like her, but who knows what their research shows) it will be remedied. If viewers want more Hawkes, more diverse pairings? It will be remedied.

Despite the fact that I like Lindsay, the season for me was uneven, and I think this year will see it level out. My thoughts.

I don't see why Lindsay should leave she is a good actress and me personally would like to see her and Danny get together.

What I'm getting to is, despite the fact that many of you can't stand Lindsay, give the show a chance to regain its equilibrium. If the Lindsay character is turning the bulk of viewers off (I like her, but who knows what their research shows) it will be remedied. If viewers want more Hawkes, more diverse pairings? It will be remedied.

It shouldn't have to be remedied. They've had almost the entire second season to fix their mistakes, but they've just piled more and more on top of each other. I'm losing faith in our beloved writers.

tuesdaymorning, I love your avatar. Rosario Dawson?

It shouldn't have to be remedied. They've had almost the entire second season to fix their mistakes, but they've just piled more and more on top of each other. I'm losing faith in our beloved writers.
That's true, but then again, I don't know that we have any choice but to give it a chance to 'regain its equilibrium' as audrina said. I'm of the mind at this point that I'm just looking forward to the third season to see how things have been handled before I lose too much faith. ;) We can't change the second season because it's over and done with, but let's hope that the writers at least learned from the mistakes that were made throughout this past season, including the problems with Lindsay's character. :)

Man, I can not believe I went away and missed this whole thing. Better late than never, I guess. So, here is my thoughts on Lindsay.

I have to agree with the majority here, and say that she has to go. I will admit, I was not a fan of Lindsay from the start. But I did my best to give her the benefit of the doubt. I really did. But she still just annoys the crap out of me. She has no personality, she sucks up something awful. She just does not bring anything to the show that it did not have before, at least not anything positive.

I've tried and tried to determine if this is an Anna problem, or a writing problem. I've not managed to come up with an answer yet, to be honest. But I have liked Anna in other things, and thought she was excellent in Medical Investigation. But she just hasn't brought the same...level of talent with her to CSI: NY. Sure, part of that could be the writing. But a lot of that has to do be laid at the feet of the actor. I mean, come on, this is the number one franchise in TV. If you're coming to play, you better be bringing your A game. And Anna simply hasn't brought it.

I find most of her scenes to be boring. Her acting has become flat and lifeless. I've seen cardboard stand-ups in the supermarket that had more spark. And worse, it seems to be contaminating the rest of the cast. Carmine seems to loose his spark when he is placed in a scene with her. His delivery alternates between bored and flat, and barely concealed aggitation. This is the man that gave us such beautiful, subtle guilt in season one's Tanglewood. Such emotional turmoil in Trapped. It pains me to watch him try and act alongside Anna.

As I said, I tried to like her. I gave the actor and the writers a chance to redeem the character. But nothing has gotten better, it has only gotten worse. The character brings nothing to the show. In fact, I think she takes away from it. I think that the producers need to cut their losses and let her go, before she drags them all down.

Glad to see the drama has died down in here, but let's remember to keep it civil and polite.

GLW, good to see you back! :D

GoodLittleWench said:
I've tried and tried to determine if this is an Anna problem, or a writing problem. I've not managed to come up with an answer yet, to be honest. But I have liked Anna in other things, and thought she was excellent in Medical Investigation. But she just hasn't brought the same...level of talent with her to CSI: NY. Sure, part of that could be the writing. But a lot of that has to do be laid at the feet of the actor. I mean, come on, this is the number one franchise in TV. If you're coming to play, you better be bringing your A game. And Anna simply hasn't brought it.

I'm slowly making my way through MI and I do think she's better there. A big part of it is that I think she has more to work with on that show. I think her character had a pretty well-developed biography, and it could be that Anna is an actress that needs a little more to work with than, "She's a CSI from Montana with a dark secret."

I find most of her scenes to be boring. Her acting has become flat and lifeless. I've seen cardboard stand-ups in the supermarket that had more spark. And worse, it seems to be contaminating the rest of the cast. Carmine seems to loose his spark when he is placed in a scene with her. His delivery alternates between bored and flat, and barely concealed aggitation. This is the man that gave us such beautiful, subtle guilt in season one's Tanglewood. Such emotional turmoil in Trapped. It pains me to watch him try and act alongside Anna.

Their scenes together just aren't working. I think they got worse as the season progressed--at first they weren't really memorable. Towards the middle of the season, they were okay but obviously being written with intent. By the end of the season, they were painful to watch. And Carmine does seem uninvolved in their scenes, to the point that his delivery is flat and unenthused. That's not a good thing to see in the show's most dynamic actor.

As I said, I tried to like her. I gave the actor and the writers a chance to redeem the character. But nothing has gotten better, it has only gotten worse. The character brings nothing to the show. In fact, I think she takes away from it. I think that the producers need to cut their losses and let her go, before she drags them all down.

Agreed. I see what they were trying to do, but ultimately, it didn't work. Lindsay didn't really bring a fresh voice or perspective to the show. She should have, but the writers' main focus ended up being on pairing her with Danny, a pairing that ultimately falls flat. And her small-town perspective has only been used for throwaway jokes about block parties and cows. The episode where she identifies with the victim could have worked for any character--just match the background and there you go. The glimpses of her inner psycho were interesting (end of Stealing Home), but I doubt the writers would be gutsy enough to go that route.

Okay, I agree and disagree.

I agree that Lindsay was pushed into the forefront too much for her first season, especially after "replacing" a well-loved character. It should have been more gradual.

But I (liking Lindsay, duh! lol) don't think she should leave. I think she should be shuffled back into the group, and others given a chance to shine. I LOVE Hill Harper. More Hill! Please! But I liked her addition to the show and hope she's with others in the cast this season, such as Stella and Hawkes.

And I agree with Top when she said that maybe Anna needs more background than she's been given ... If she herself does not yet know Lindsay's past - which I think is VERY possible, since I don't think the writers even know - it must be hard to play. Did she lose a partner and blame herself? Was she abused as a child? Was her mother/father/sister/loved one murdered? Did a case she worked on get dumped on a technicality or because of faulty evidence? Did she just have a really bloody case that haunts her? So many possibilities, so many ways to play it, but kind of hard if you don't know.

I think they writers have been so eager to make her integral to the cast, they have given her too much exposure at times without appropriate back story. I look forward to see what they do with her this season - maybe the writers will take a hint and go a little slower with her development instead of trying to throw us a bunch of odd scenes that come out of left field.

I am also patient with these writers because despite errors, they still produced television far and above much of the other crap that's out there. So I wait eagerly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back