Why Lindsay Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top41 said:
I have a feeling that the new character is quite possibly a response to the poor reception to Lindsay and the need to address the gravity of Flack's injuries. I doubt she will be more of a threat to Eddie's screen time than Maka or any of the other detectives will be. But I think it's a good sign that Lindsay is being shoved to the side in the first episode--being third on a case with Mac and Stella is essentially just that.

Words that make me do a happy dance. :D

I know that Lindsay has a fan base, but I don't think there is another character in the CSI franchise that has as much of a detractors base as she does or causes as much turmoil. If the negative reaction to Lindsay were simply a handful of people, it would be different, but when you have as many or more who don't like the character as do like it, there is a definite problem in need of a solution.

I still resent how Lindsay has messed with the dynamic of the team and really hope the new girl will help to bring back the comraderie of S1 even if she is only a recurring character. Some of the recurring characters are a lot more fun than Lindsay...namely Pino and Hammerback and Vicarro. I can't help it, I liked Vicarro from S1. He was just mental and great. I would love to see him back and having to deal with Lindsay. That would be fun.

I don't see how the new girl could be any worse than Lindsay. Hopefully the new girl will fit right in from the start and they won't have to play "Sybil" with her until she clicks. Not that Lindsay has clicked yet.

I don't think there has ever been a character in any show that I've watched that has fit in as horribly as Lindsay has. If so, they didn't last long. What is it that TPTB see in her that we don't?

1CSIMfan said:
I don't see how the new girl could be any worse than Lindsay. Hopefully the new girl will fit right in from the start and they won't have to play "Sybil" with her until she clicks.

Lindsay with Multiple Personality Disorder, I love it! :lol: It would certainly add some depth to the character and spice up the show, they could get fans involved through the CBS website and offer prizes for the person that correctly guesses the Lindsay we'll see this week.

Ali

^^I am beginning to think that's what's wrong with her. :) I like the game idea too. They could list all her personalities and we could pick which one she is. hmmm...how many does she have anyway?

Jaer said:
I know that Lindsay has a fan base, but I don't think there is another character in the CSI franchise that has as much of a detractors base as she does or causes as much turmoil. If the negative reaction to Lindsay were simply a handful of people, it would be different, but when you have as many or more who don't like the character as do like it, there is a definite problem in need of a solution.

No, no other character does have nearly as many detractors as Lindsay does, and I think that's very telling. It completely shoots down the incredibly weak "people don't like Lindsay because she's new" or "people don't like Lindsay because she replaced Aiden" arguments. After all, if that was true, Ryan hate would be flourishing in the Miami forum. But look! Everyone seems just fine with Speedle's "replacement." Maybe it's because he's a decent character and actor.

I like the 'guess Lindsay's personality this week' game. I'd like Lindsay gone much, much more, though.

^^I think we need more Hawkes this season since Lindsay stole the limelight from him. I'm sure everybody would have liked to seen him more.

Yeah, I don't recall a Ryan must go thread. The only other thread like this I can think of is the Get Rid of Boa Vista--something like that and I didn't have a problem with her.

The fact that Lindsay's new and the fact that she replaced Aiden doesn't matter to me. Ryan replacing Speedle didn't matter either. I liked Ryan from the start and I was/am a huge Speedle fan. Lindsay just can't cut it. The only thing that ever amused me about her was her shooting the bow in Stuck on You. She was actually likeable at that moment which lasted what...30 seconds?

^There is some Boa Vista hatred in the Miami forum--a lot of people don't like her, because like Lindsay she was brought in without much of a purpose. She actually has more of purpose than Lindsay because she was brought in to bring grant money to redo the Miami lab. Lindsay brought $0 with her, so she actually contributed less than Natalia has. :lol:

I don't hate Natalia, but I get why people do. She's kind of a useless character--not as much as Lindsay is, but she doesn't contribute a lot. Lindsay is not only useless but offensive, which is a lot worse than being useless.

I liked Ryan right away too. Not all new characters are disliked from the get go--just the bad ones. ;)

I'm not sure why the idea of liking Aiden must somehow relate to not liking Lindsay is still floating around in other threads on the board, the very saying of it highlights either a lack of understanding for what people have written in this thread and the grading thread, to name another or a complete disregard for other people's viewpoints also known as selective understanding - something that runs rampant in the NY forum.

I'm not really clear why if I state that I don't like Lindsay and offer a list of examples gathered from the episodes this season it is so hard to take or comprehend when something as simply as the versatility of her hair is acceptable grounds for liking her, or at least a reason for liking her. Would it be better if I said I don't like Lindsay because her shoes are ugly or her hair colour is not to my liking?

I've never had cause to say people must like Lindsay because they hated Aiden, I mean why would I, the statement reeks of stunted intellect.

I'm taking the new detective as a chance to repent a past mistake, that mistake being Lindsay, both her characterization and casting. I hope the new detective robs only Lindsay of screen time. Truthfully, I hope that the new character means Anna's departure is imminent if not immediate and that the show won't have to suffer under the burden of Lindsay anymore. She has caused a backwards evolution, the de-evolving if you will, of the show and the writers have sadly allowed her to alter characters, have taken moments that should have been others and tossed then her way in hopes that the audience would like her since she was a character written to be liked, much in the vein of Calleigh.

The outburst over Stella should have been Danny's, the role of newbie and all its requisite teasing and highlighting should have been Hawkes, trading banter with Mac over the flirtatious roller derby player should have been Stella's. She is utterly replaceable and easily forgettable if you shove her in the back and all that adds up to Lindsay being entirely unnecessary.

Ali

The whole Lindsay vs Aiden issue is a non-issue. You'll notice that the only times it crops up is when a Lindsay fanatic is trying to justify why they like her that doesn't involve her appearance and how 'cute' she is. Those who don't like Lindsay rarely use it as a reason because we understand that Vanessa Ferlito chose to leave and none of it had anything to do with Lindsay or Anna Belknap. In fact I'm more inclined to dislike Vanessa because her leaving stuck us with Anna Belknap and I think a special circle of Hell should be reserved for VF because of it. I was recently and jokingly threatened with a film reel of some of Lindsay's 'finest' moments if I didn't modify my behavior and think this would be a perfect vengeance against VF. Only once VF has watched Anna Belknap try and act can she truly understand the pain we suffered during the regular season. S2 wasn't good enough the first time to watch in reruns.

As for Lindsay's appearance having anything to do with why I like or don't like her...if Anna Belknap could act and give a compelling performance, she could be dressed in a burlap sack each week with greasy dreds and I'd still watch. I guess when you can't compliment an actor's talent, you go with appearance. Then again, maybe that's all needed for others to like a character. For me, I need more. To each their own.

Lindsay was unnecessary before she showed up and she quickly proved irritating after that. Like JDonne, I believe the appearance of the new detective is an attempt to correct the mistake that is Lindsay Monroe's character and if done correctly, we'll see Lindsay's character die...since that's what happens to people who leave the CSI lab, they die.

I can say as well, that the addition of the new character has renewed my interest in the show. Now the writers simply need to find their muse and return to the compelling stories they had in S1 rather than the sadly inept and painful plots of S2.

TPTB need to shove Lindsay in a dark corner where she can brood about her secret and let the rest of the team rediscover the dynamic they had during S1 when they acted like a team instead of people who simply showed up at crime scenes together and tolerated the annoying co-worker.

First of all, I will agree that I think for the most part people's dislike of Lindsay has nothing to do with Aidan's departure. You guys have your reasons, which you have stated, and that, by and large, is not one of them.

My two cents on the new character: I think they just need a new Det. Thacker (I think that's his name) hasn't been around much, and I think I read that Kelly Hu has another job. They probably just want to round out the cast.

audrina said:
First of all, I will agree that I think for the most part people's dislike of Lindsay has nothing to do with Aidan's departure. You guys have your reasons, which you have stated, and that, by and large, is not one of them.

My two cents on the new character: I think they just need a new Det. Thacker (I think that's his name) hasn't been around much, and I think I read that Kelly Hu has another job. They probably just want to round out the cast.

Has Det. Thacker been around since season one? Didn't he do all of two episodes. I'm not sure what a minor player like Thacker would have to do with the introduction of a new young detective or a rounding out of the cast.

I think the introduction of the new detective is a plan to halt effectively one of the biggest criticisms hurled Lindsay's way, that she is defined by nothing more than a crush on Danny and therefore lacks depth. I can see though that a Danny/Lindsay shipper would not be inclined to either support or embrace this viewpoint, given their appreciation for the coupling, a coupling that many found grating and tragically portrayed.

If the character is indeed being added to replace Kelly Hu's Maka then let us hope that she has a much chemistry with Danny, because then the writers can see yet again what is chemistry and what isn't. What Danny has with every woman but Lindsay and some men is chemistry, what Danny has with Lindsay is trite, overdone, and lacking.

I think the new detective will also revive the NY feel of the show, something that the producers and writers lost during the second season. What is the point of having a show take place in NY only to make it so indistinguishable from any other place in America, Lindsay was part of that horrible mistake. You don't define a NY feel by including someone that questions block parties and water towers, even if you can scrap the bottom of the barrel trying to make the stupidity of the lines seem justifiable.

Some Lindsay supporters do get that Aiden has nothing to do with people's feelings on Lindsay, and it should be easy to see after 40 posts, tragically, some still don’t, and that is annoying. The very saying that such is true does nothing but make another's stand seem weak, like there is nothing to be said to bolster the character you love so you attack the intelligence of those that dislike, in the end what is the point.

Ali

JDonne said:
I'm not sure why the idea of liking Aiden must somehow relate to not liking Lindsay is still floating around in other threads on the board, the very saying of it highlights either a lack of understanding for what people have written in this thread and the grading thread, to name another or a complete disregard for other people's viewpoints also known as selective understanding - something that runs rampant in the NY forum.
Ali

First off, I hope this is taken as intended. I'm all for this thread but after reading over my first paragraph, it had me worried. BTW, I totally agree with you JDonne.

Of all the posts in this thread, I don't ever recall anyone stating that they didn't like Lindsay because they liked Aiden. Also, the only "selective understanding" I have noticed in the NY forums seems to be in the Lindsay threads. No other character has so many people that like and dislike her. There's no Why Danny, Mac, Stella, Flack, or Hawkes Must Go threads. Only Lindsay. That in itself should be proof that there is a problem with this character.

Whether the blame lies with Anna herself or TPTB or both there is definately a problem. I know Lindsay has fans and I respect that but I also want that same respect because I am not a fan of hers. :)

As for the new detective. If she takes away some of Lindsay's screen time, good for her. If the new detective and Danny flirt like crazy and they truly have chemistry, good for them. Anything to stop the flirting between Lindsay and Danny.

Who in Hell is Det. Thacker? Somebody link me a pic 'cause the brain has no clue who this is. Does he even have a first name? Do we know if he has tattoos?

audrina said:

This would make more sense to me if not for the fact we've been given a full name and a brief sketch of what the character is intended to be.

"People With Money" will also see the introduction of a new detective. Jennifer Angell is described as, "young, bright, sees everything." The detective also has tattooed roses around her wrist, but despite her appearances she's all business. Jennifer has been training as a detective and in the episode will finally go solo. She'll be working with Danny and Hawkes.

That's as much character development as half the cast we see in the credits each week. More than Hawkes has had. TPTB would never have bothered with all that information if the character were meant to show up just once or twice in the season. I think they've learned from the Lindsay debacle...let's introduce a character, see if the reception is resoundingly good. If it is, we give her more time and cut down Lindsay's. If no one likes the newbie, we get rid of her, no harm, no foul. If they'd done that with Lindsay, we wouldn't be debating the character because she'd already be dead.

I seriously hope the new girl is all New Yorker because I would really like CSI NY to actually feel like NY again. This is coming from a country girl who finds Lindsay's portrayal as an ignorant, suck up bumpkin insulting and stereotypical. I would have loved to see a country girl's impression of the city reflected in the show...instead I find a character who would have been more at home on the Beverly Hillbillies.

1CSIMfan said:
Of all the posts in this thread, I don't ever recall anyone stating that they didn't like Lindsay because they liked Aiden. Also, the only "selective understanding" I have noticed in the NY forums seems to be in the Lindsay threads. No other character has so many people that like and dislike her. There's no Why Danny, Mac, Stella, Flack, or Hawkes Must Go threads. Only Lindsay. That in itself should be proof that there is a problem with this character.

Excellent points about no other character having a thread discussing why they should go and that says something about Lindsay's character.

Whether the blame lies with Anna herself or TPTB or both there is definately a problem. I know Lindsay has fans and I respect that but I also want that same respect because I am not a fan of hers. :)

Well said and I agree. I thought by this point there would have been some movement past condemning and lashing out at people because they don't like a specific character. People don't care for Danny, but I do, and you know what it doesn't bother me one bit. However, even those that dislike Danny don't state the same issue we are about Lindsay, they have problems with aspects of his characterization and his screen time. Do I think Danny is compelling, yes, I do, but do I understand the point of view of those that would like the show to move beyond his troubled life, yes, I do. Every character and actor is open to criticism, but for some reason Lindsay needs a safe harbour, okay fine I accept that, but I'm not going to silence my opinion just because some love the character and the actress. I think it is great that some do, I’m not one of them and there are others on both sides of the debate and not acknowledging that TPTB need to take a serious look at what went wrong with a character that was not supposed to divide an audience is tantamount to walking around with blinders.

As for the new detective. If she takes away some of Lindsay's screen time, good for her. If the new detective and Danny flirt like crazy and they truly have chemistry, good for them. Anything to stop the flirting between Lindsay and Danny.

I could not agree more!

Ali

Jaer said:
Who in Hell is Det. Thacker? Somebody link me a pic 'cause the brain has no clue who this is. Does he even have a first name? Do we know if he has tattoos?

LMAO, ^^that was funny.

Thacker was only in two episodes. Officer Blue and Recycling both in season 1. According to the episode guide his first name was Charlie but I didn't remember that. Here's a link to Paul Carafotes as Det Thacker.

He also guest starred on two episodes of Las Vegas.

JDonne, I think we're on the same wavelength. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back