Why Lindsay Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Kind of reminds me of Calleigh. And if Lindsay can pull off a Calleigh (or better), then she might survive the next season, imho.

Cheshyre said:
Top41 said:
Take for example, if Anna had stuck with the lighter Lindsay (which would have been my preference). Instead of yelling at suspects, she might have asked her questions with a sly smile and delivered lines with a cheery affability which could have masked her skill as an investigator.

I think that would have worked a lot better for her. Could you imagine? In the midst of all of those hardcore CSIs, you get this nice, disarmingly polite young lady who gets a suspect to talk and they leave not sure if they've said something wrong or not. One of those girls who's smarter than she seems, who enjoys the fact that people write her off as a country bumpkin so she has the opportunity to jerk the rug out from under them and beat them with it. A girl who smiles as she delivers a fatal blow to someone's ego and politely informs a bad guy to drop his weapon or she'll be forced to shoot him in the head and, no, she won't feel a damn bit bad about it.

Sugar coated wickedness.

I don't know if Anna could pull that off, but I'd love to see it.

It would at least make for a more consistant and interesting character than what we've been given.

To be honest, I don't think Anna Belknap has the talent to pull that off, but I would love to see a character like that. I love the show The Closer and every time Brenda smiles and acts polite and says thank you to disarm somebody or leaves them lost in the dust staring at the same evidence she's already figured out, I love it. If Lindsay could manage even a bit of that, I'd probably like her more, but I don't think there's enough guile in her to do it and not enough talent in Anna to pull it off.

The main problem, for me, is that the writers can't erase the horrible last season they had. Now anything that Anna has to pull off, whether it's another snarky, high pitched and whiney Lindsay or a softer, polite and sarcastic Lindsay, I'm not going to be able to get past the previous Lindsays.

^^That's the problem with TPTB. They could totally redo Lindsay again and forget all about what they have already done with her. Just pretend it didn't happen. Well, I wouldn't forget it. I would be thinking Lindsay has lost her mind again.

The nicer, sweeter Lindsay would be the best way to take that character. If Anna can pull it off. The screaming lunatic just doesn't work. Her and Danny just don't work.

She mostly worked with Mac last night (except for Danny carrying her through the dirt*puke*) and she was more tolerable with him.

At this point, the writers are just going to have to choose a personality for Lindsay and stick with it. They can't undo season 2, but they need to make some improvements to the character or else seasons 3 and beyond are going to be just as inconsistent. I don't know which version of Lindsay I'd choose, although the lighter-Lindsay does seem like the best choice to me, but right now I'm thinking that it's better for her to have one personality that I may or may not like rather than being all over the place. *shrug* I'm hoping that people are right that next season is going to go back to more of the season 1 feel with regards to the ensemble cast, because I don't know if I could sit through 24 more episodes of Danny and Lindsay 'flirting' while other characters get gipped. Thinking of "Cool Hunter" just proves my point here--even though Danny and Lindsay were working different cases, there was still that damn ambiguously-romantic scene on the rooftop which was completely and totally unnecessary. :rolleyes:

In any case, if the show is going to keep Anna (which I suspect that they are, whether we like it or not), then the writers need to sit down and evaluate what her strengths and weaknesses are as an actress and structure Lindsay's character around those. The result may be a dramatically different Lindsay than one of the several that we've seen so far, but at this point I think they just need to swallow their pride and accept that season 2 was their sophomore slump and move on.

Teh Fay has spoken. ;)

Thinking of "Cool Hunter" just proves my point here--even though Danny and Lindsay were working different cases, there was still that damn ambiguously-romantic scene on the rooftop which was completely and totally unnecessary.

That's what I was thinking. Why did they have to drag Danny into that. She worked the case with Mac. Why couldn't he carry her across. It would have made more sense considering he also put a weight in Lindsay's lap because they still didn't weigh enough. Surely Mac weights more than Danny. TPTB were just torturing us with more "flirting" crap. I was surprised Mac didn't say something to them like "let's get back to work or on with it or something".

Since the name of this thread is Why Lindsay Must Go. My answer is BECAUSE WE SAY SO!! :mad:

Jaer said:
Cheshyre said:
Top41 said:
Take for example, if Anna had stuck with the lighter Lindsay (which would have been my preference). Instead of yelling at suspects, she might have asked her questions with a sly smile and delivered lines with a cheery affability which could have masked her skill as an investigator.

I think that would have worked a lot better for her. Could you imagine? In the midst of all of those hardcore CSIs, you get this nice, disarmingly polite young lady who gets a suspect to talk and they leave not sure if they've said something wrong or not. One of those girls who's smarter than she seems, who enjoys the fact that people write her off as a country bumpkin so she has the opportunity to jerk the rug out from under them and beat them with it. A girl who smiles as she delivers a fatal blow to someone's ego and politely informs a bad guy to drop his weapon or she'll be forced to shoot him in the head and, no, she won't feel a damn bit bad about it.

Sugar coated wickedness.

I don't know if Anna could pull that off, but I'd love to see it.

It would at least make for a more consistant and interesting character than what we've been given.

To be honest, I don't think Anna Belknap has the talent to pull that off, but I would love to see a character like that. I love the show The Closer and every time Brenda smiles and acts polite and says thank you to disarm somebody or leaves them lost in the dust staring at the same evidence she's already figured out, I love it. If Lindsay could manage even a bit of that, I'd probably like her more, but I don't think there's enough guile in her to do it and not enough talent in Anna to pull it off.

And therein lies the heart of the problem. On paper, Lindsay does have the potential to be a cool character. I love the idea of her using small town affability to get to criminals and get them to confess before they've even realized they've done it. That would be clever and sly, and something the writers should have explored.

Maybe Anna could have pulled it off--based on the performances I've seen, I'm not convinced, but being an eternal optimist, I'll say maybe. What I want to know is, why did the writers change her personality twice in the space of one season, leaving us with three distinct Lindsays--kiss ass, newbie Lindsay, light-hearted, happy-go-lucky Lindsay and whiny, angry, borderline-psycho Lindsay. Surely if the character was working for the writers, she wouldn't have been changed three times???

Either way, for me what it comes down to is that the show would be better off without Lindsay than it is with any incarnation of Lindsay. So for me the question of whether she should go or not is that simple. Yes, absolutely, because NY was a better show before her and can be a much better show without her.

I love Lindsay! I know that it's useless to try to convince anyone otherwise, but I feel better for saying it.

And now that I have put my two cents in, I shall depart, never to enter this thread again. ;-)

--Sarah

I love Lindsay! I know that it's useless to try to convince anyone otherwise, but I feel better for saying it.

And now that I have put my two cents in, I shall depart, never to enter this thread again.
No one is suggesting that there's a problem with liking Lindsay (or Anna, for that matter)--this is just the thread where we can discuss what we don't like about the character. However, the discussion is not meant to exclude people who do like her. Most of the Lindsay/Anna fans would rather spend time in the threads devoted to the character, and as harsh as this may sound, if all you came to say is that you love her, then your thoughts are better off in there. If, on the other hand, you'd like to counter some of the points made by posters in here (thus contributing to the actual discussion), feel free to do so. You probably won't "convince" anyone to feel the way that you do, but we're all entitled to our opinions, and that certainly includes you. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to hear both sides of an issue, and I'm not so stubborn that I can't accept someone else's opinion as valid (and I think it's safe to say that the rest of the people who regularly post in here feel the same way). :)

However, if you never plan to return to the thread, then I don't particularly see the point in posting in the first place--you're never going to know how people respond, so I don't understand the reasoning behind the initial post.

she's no Aiden. I MISS HER!
I understand that, and there are a lot of people on this message board that would agree with you on that one, but please remember that this is a discussion thread. There are several threads about Aiden/Vanessa where you'll find plenty of people who feel the same way, but this particular thread isn't really the place to do it. If you'd like to make a point about Lindsay's character with regards to Aiden, go ahead, but please make sure that it's something more than "She's no Aiden." I don't want to offend you or hurt your feelings, but I really feel that there are better places for you to post if that's your opinion. :)

^Well said! :)

The re-runs right now are the eps where Lindsay was at her least irritating--Bad Beat through Cool Hunter--but the ones where she really started to get on my nerves are coming up. The screaming eps at the end of the season were definitely Lindsay's nadir, I think. :lol: I really do hope they decide to get rid of the character next year, but if they don't, I hope they go with mid-season lighter Lindsay. She was at least tolerable. The kiss ass incarnation and the screaming one were just horrifying.

Suffered the Lindsay horror that is Stealing Home last night. Even my other half, who is unfortunately NOT Danny, commented on Lindsay's behaviour, and he is usually blankly oblivious to it - mainly 'cause he thinks she's cute. I agree with Top; she was tolerable mid-season. I don't think they will get rid of her, but I just hope that last night's Lindsay is not continued into season three. Anyone have any theories as to why she was so wrapped in the Sara case, even though the only similarities were that they both came from Montana and both braided raw hide?

I don't know why it affected her the way it did. Lindsay's all over the place. She's got at least 3 different personalities.

Wouldn't it be funny if they found out she was schizophrenic and they had to have her committed to a mental hospital?? I know they already did an episode in season 1 "Three Generations are Enough" about a schizo but finding out one of their own has the same problem would be a great way to get rid of her. *I can dream can't I?*

I don't think I saw that episode because I missed about 7 of them last season but maybe Lindsay was so wrapped up in that case not only because the girl was from Montana (couldn't have her from somewhere else) but maybe it has some similarity to that "dark Past" she is supposed to have.

I'm a Lindsay fan, but I think that Lindsay is better ligh-hearted rather than angry, so Top I see your point. But I think more times than none she's light-hearted, and I think they have to throw those anger scenes in there. I mean if she never got angry, I don't know if it would be believable. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back