Why Lindsay Must Go

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by JDonne, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

i liked lindsays potential when she started, but she hasn't been given the oppurtunity to really show what she can do yet, i'm still waiting for her to do something
    but i have to say, sorry to any danny/lindsay shippers, that would never work, she's too squeaky clean for him. she'd probably end up getting offended or something by him every episode, just because they come from totally different directions, and i dont wanna have to sit and watch all the angst that would arise if she and danny got together

besides, its all about mac and stella

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I really want to like the character--I liked the idea of someone coming in from a small town to join the team, but at the same time it doesn't really make all that much sense to me. Why would Mac bring in someone from the other side of the country when there are surely plenty of good CSIs in New York? But I could have gotten past that little huh? moment if the character had done well in the space she filled. I didn't expect everything to mesh immediately, but as has been stated before, it's nearly the end of the season now and Lindsay is still awkwardly occupying the space that Aiden left. The other characters generally act like she's a perfect fit and everything, which makes me scratch my head a little bit.

When it comes to Danny/Lindsay, I've gotten to the point that I want to break out in hives whenever they're in the same scene together (which is, what, every episode? Even when they don't work together the writers find some time to toss them into the same room and go 'oh look! Danny and Lindsay are flirting!!!'...)--I can understand flirting if there's genuine chemistry between two people, but they really should have taken that into account before they cast Anna for the part. She doesn't sell the chemistry to me. Danny seems to alternate between liking the attention and getting annoyed by it. I'm afraid that it's only a matter of time before he just stops talking to her--oh wait, what am I thinking? The writers seem determined that everything is hunky-dory in CSI-land, so Danny will probably continue to coexist rather peacefully with Lindsay (which I doubt that his character would actually be inclined to do in the situation). I'm just waiting for the two of them to do it in a closet in the lab and then for Danny to run around the lab avoiding her for the rest of the episode. :rolleyes: I just don't see the chemistry. It would be nice if there were some casual flirting between the two characters, but I'm amazed that they can get any work done the way things are. Perhaps it would have been more feasible if Lindsay had taken a shine to Flack instead--there's less interaction so the flirting would be less constant. But that's neither here nor there...

Overall, I think the casting and characterization is off, but if they really try I think they could make it work. The writers need to work more with what they have and less with what they want to be there.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Faylinn, you really summed up what I've been thinking lately about the character! :D

I wasn't at all opposed to the idea of an outsider coming in. Like you said, it is a bit puzzling given how many good CSIs there probably are in NY, but if they wanted to bring in an outsider, okay. But like you said, the character hasn't really added anything. She's essentially filler.

I'm really starting to think this is what it comes down to. It's ashame, because Carmine has chemistry with practically everyone--he sparked in scenes with Melina, Vanessa and Kelly Hu. But he and Anna fall flat together on screen. There's just nothing there, and the fact that he delivers lines like the marriage one in a flat voice makes me wonder if he isn't frustrated by the fact that the writers are pretty much shoving the interactions down everyone's throats. Haven't they ever heard 'less is more'? :confused:

Yes, exactly! It's time o get back to reality, guys. If they want to keep this character and make her likable, they need to focus on her strengths, and so far that seems to me to be the cheerier moments. Which is kind of a problem in a CSI show, but maybe the other stuff will come in time. But trying to play to what they wish was there isn't working.

4. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I like Lindsey. She's a different kind of person to what Aiden was like, and I like that. I haven't seen the episode you're talking about so I can't comment on that, but I've liked her in the episodes I've seen.

5. sHiNNizLe

sHiNNizLe Rookie

First of all,my TV cable just aired the episode when Aiden was fired.So, I'll have to wait till next week to really see the character Lindsay Monroe.However, I think they replace Aiden's spot pretty quick.I haven't had the chance to mourn for her yet then, BA BAM M, here comes Lindsay.What I mean is,isn't it too soon for them to replace Aiden.By the way, Hawkes just join the team right?Too soon to say,I have to watch it next week then.

For the record,I never really like Anna Belknap in Medical Investigation :(.No offence,but I don't feel connected with her.Maybe her acting or something.There's somthing missing. That is why when I found out she's going to join the CSI:NY casts, I was dissapointed :(.But I'm willing to give her a chance :).She better kick ass next week (Zoo York) ;).

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Since she first appeared in Zoo York I have been willing to see how she developed, after the episode aired I wasn't so sure about her and that she did seem a bit uptight, but then again it was her first day working with the NY crime lab.

Even though Mac did track her down, because he liked her detailed analysis on a case, she has yet to show the reason why she was offred the job to replace Aiden. I can't see her being detailed with anything.

Since Zoo York, I must admit that she hasn't grown on me at all. Sure I like the Lindsay/Mac relationship but I feel that on Lindsay's part many of the one liners she come's out with are forced.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

You know, that's one of the things that I do like about the character--that she's so very different from Aiden. It's obvious that they weren't trying to just stick in an Aiden-replacement, and I'm glad for that.
    Yes, very true. I think the character can be used to great effect if the writers really sit down and plan the storylines to showcase her personality in a believable way. Her interaction with the other characters would probably change dramatically, but I think it would be a good thing. I'm crossing my fingers that, between now and the new season, everyone gets together and makes some changes (writers and actors). :D
    Definitely! *nods* If it's gotten tiring in less than a season, do they really think they can continue it indefinitely? Or if they're planning to actually go somewhere with the relationship (which seems unlikely given the nature of CSI as a whole), having it evolve from this sort of interaction doesn't bode well. I don't read fanfiction, so I don't know, but I expect that, although it might work nicely in fanfiction, and some of the fans like the idea of a Danny/Lindsay relationship, it wouldn't really be a good thing for the show at this point.
    That's one of the things that made it hard for me to accept the character in the beginning, but now (at the end of the season) I think it has more to do with the character itself than the abrupt entrance.
    You know, that reminds me of something that's been bugging me for a while. What, exactly, is Lindsay's niche in the CSI lab? What is she an expert in? We've seen Mac's knowledge of weapons and Danny's knowledge of everything under the sun, but what about Lindsay? When she was spouting off information about football in this latest episode it came out of left field for me. I was like, 'where did that come from?' It sounded like she was reciting stats from a book rather than having any real interest in football itself. One of the things that I really want from Lindsay's character is for her to be fleshed out and believable. She needs a history--they don't have to come straight out and tell us her 'dark secret' to let us know something about her. They're clearly holding that story for a Lindsay-centric episode, but do we really have to just sit back and wonder until then?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

^ Well I agree what is Lindsays expertees, I think the reason why Mac hired her was because she has a fine line to detail, but like I said in my post above we have yet to see that talent surface.

9. tala

tala Lab Technician

This is a refreshing topic.

My opinion comes from what I've seen so far - Zoo York through Jamalot.

I agree about the voice. When I first heard Lindsay speak (and I didn't know what to expect because I never watched Medical Investigation), I was shocked. There was absolutely no impact in her delivery or her tone. Of course a human being has no control over his/her voice but casters do when it comes to chosing someone for a particular role. The fragility in Anna's voice fails to make Lindsay (the tough girl whose seen extremely gory crime scenes back in Montana) completely believable.

I wanted to give her a chance, especially after seeing more reviews about this thing she and Danny have going on (supposedly) and the hint at her past but I couldn't get over the simple fact that I don't believe anything she says. I won't say it's bad acting on Anna's part. I think it's just bad chemistry overall.

Finally, the one major disappointment: Opening credits in Zoo York. This proves how rushed and forced upon Lindsay was to the audience. One week, you see Vanessa Ferlito, then suddenly, bam, new actress in main credits, even before you really know what's going on. Whatever happened to subtley introducing a new actor into the regular cast? It worked with Jonathan Togo. This has nothing to do with preferring Vanessa/Aiden over Anna/Lindsay. It was just awkward how they did that. Please correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a while since I've seen it, but doesn't Lindsay make her first appearance only after the opening credits? Whatever the case, I clearly remember having a big "Huh?" moment then.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Since everyone's pretty said what I would have, there's really nothing to add. But here's how I see a couple of things:

Anna's voice bugs me. Being a city girl at first I thought it was just prejudice on my part since she from the Midwest. After a while I realized it's not just that. She doesn't have range - her voice is the same all the time. It doesn't matter if she's rattling off scientific facts or interrogating a suspect or (suppose to be) sympathizing with a victim, her tone is the same. Even with Mac, the stoic guy that he is, you can see variations, but I just can't with Lindsay.

Then there's the Danny/Lindsay scenes the writers seem so intent on shoving down our throats. At first I thought it was the Danny/Flack shipper in me that was turned off by their reaction. But no, that's not it either, because I can watch all the Danny/Aiden scenes in season one no problem. Danny and Aiden were buddies, their interactions were natural. Danny and Lindsay, well, it's been said before so you know what I mean.

11. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

I asked that same thing in the Aiden/Lindsey thread. I was watching "Super Men" and it occurred to me that Hawkes is a much fuller character - he's sympathetic, knowledgeable, and has that childlike need to learn new things, without needing to be superior. Hill can also act out emotion superbly. If they brought Anna in because they needed another woman to - I don't know... soften the show? Add more emotion? Because in my view, Hill Harper is doing it better.

I'm not saying Hawkes is feminine - but one of the things I've read most is that Lindsey brings a "freshness" to the show. I think Hawkes is just as "fresh", without being annoying or cloying. The two characters are very similar, but Hawkes isn't out to prove anything, other than he can do the job as well as the other CSI.

Regarding that opening scene - I had read this and was waiting for it, and almost dreading it. I think I built it up into more than it was, but it was the most dead-pan thing ever. Bring back Maka, because the way that woman flirts with Danny is fantastic television.

12. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

Great Topic!

you know last night's episode sealed the deal for me that Lindsay isn't working for the show. My first rant was her annoying attempt to flirt with Danny, who I might add does not have any chemistry with her- none, zip, zilch. Her reply to him about football statistics just pissed me off more than anything, (right, you know everything, Lindsay) there was nothing dynamic or even interesting about it and poor Danny has to endure it with a very forced line for a marriage proposal. This is not our charasmatic, emotionally driven character we has come to know and love and who is an amazing actor.

Charlene's interrogation: 'Don't leave town'- OK, where are your investigative skills there, Montana? SHE DIDN'T DO IT. The actress's portrayal as Charlene was right on. Why would she put her phone number on a dead guy? Why did Lindsay keep pushing this woman? Her interrogation sucked, and she if I were a suspect, I would have been laughing at her.

Interrogating with Danny at the end of the show ( I can't remember the father's name!) Horrible. Again, Danny saved the day with his heartfelt, I am sorry for the loss of your daughter- perfect. The right thing at the right time- nothing more. Lindsay couldn't say anything? I am surprised.

13. Fabian

Fabian Pathologist

What's all this fuss about that interrogation scene about?
    Lindsay just asked the questions and made clear she didn't trust Charlene. She wasn't hostile, just formal.
    She did great in that scene.
    We have seen stupider things on CSI than people writing their phone number on the dead body after they killed him.

For me personally, the scenes with Danny work. It doesn't seem forced at all. They have a natural chemistry which is nice.

She is just a nice, cool gall to watch and I don't see what's wrong with her. She doesn't have Aiden's attitude (I liked her really much by the way), but she's defenitely not less convincing in her scenes. She's a great addition to the cast.

And about her voice..we are actually discussing her voice now? She's got a normal voice. A nice, mellow voice. Even Gary Sinise or Emily Procter's voices sound less convincing, but they also nail their scenes with it.

14. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

^^^ I think the point with the voice wasn't that her voice sounded odd but rather that her tone did. People are wanting Anna to express more emotion.

I found Lindsey less annoying in "Super Men", except for that scene where she rattles off football facts like she's reading them from a book. Reid in Criminal Minds does that, but he's a genius with a photographic memory. There was less flirting this episode, I felt, which was a good thing as we actually got to see her work.

I'm still reading posts in other threads concerning this one and I'm getting a little worried that some of you are taking this personally. Lindsey is a character, not a real person. I've not seen any calls for Anna to be run over by a bus or the like. None of the posters here are going into the Anna or Lindsey threads and saying horrible things about her.

I've been following this thread and the other Lindsey/Aiden thread and most of the criticism is constructive. We simply want more from the show and the character itself.

15. Fabian

Fabian Pathologist

I completely understand, Lyn.
    I'm glad that it is not just simply bashing or loving, but that people are actually being constructive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.