Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Political parallels aside, I think it's funny how Lindsay just has nothing to do aside from deliver lines any random lab tech could--until they drag Danny in to give her something to do. The character really is a love interest and nothing more; it's just too bad she's not played by a more compelling actress so that the romance was more believable and interesting to watch.

2. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Agreed very much. I think if a different actress with much better acting chops played Lindsay, quite a lot of us would be thinking differently about her right now. Heck, if the different actress had acting chops, period, the writers would probably have written much better material for Lindsay by now. As it is, Lindsay's development is as limited as her actress' acting, so no matter what the writers come up with, if Belknap can't act it, it's pointless. Talk about a waste!

3. littlemegs

littlemegs Dead on Arrival

one question

Why do u lot think anna belknaps such a bad actress
    they employed her so she must be good on sum lvl
    she was good in s2
    so y is she suddenly rubbish now

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I don't think Anna is the worst actress in Hollywood, but she's swimming with the big fish on this show - everybody else is amazingly talented - and she sticks out like a sore thumb IMO.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

She isn't "suddenly" a bad actress. If you read through this and the previous WLMG threads you'll see that her acting has been a complaint almost from the beginning, and you'll get plenty of reasons and examples as to why people think that way.

6. Top41

Yeah, I think if you go back to all the old threads--and no one should have to do that because there are a lot of posts, but if you're curious--you'll see that Anna's performances have been criticized since midway through season two. Maybe she's been decent in other shows, but she's never been good in CSI: NY.

7. privatename

privatename Rookie

She was never good, but I think part of what happened for me at least was that once she got more emotional scenes and story lines her deficiencies as an actress became even more glaring.

I also agree that she really stands out like a sore thumb in this cast because everyone else is so very talented.

8. Top41

^Agreed. She was able to handle the lighter stuff just fine, which is why her deficiencies as an actress didn't start showing through until "All Access," when she had to suddenly get all emotional. Interestingly, I thought she was fine in "Stealing Home" when she was acting obsessive.

9. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

^definately. Her lighter moments in season 2, like when she was eating the bugs or even this past season when she was talking to Flack about the Laughing Larry products have been bearable, and not bad to watch. The upset with her really only started once she was called upon to emote at any level whatsoever.

I really wish the writers could take a hint from that and give her lighter stuff to work with...but seeing where this season is supposed to go, I doubt we'll ever get a decent acting job by Belknap or a solid storyline for Lindsay at all.

10. miss bolshoi bz

miss bolshoi bz Victim

For me,even her lighter scenes still don't seem natural..The only times she's bearable to watch is when she doesn't say anything and standing at the background for few seconds.Her voice annoys me for some reasons .I do agree,if the character played by a decent actress it would be more tolerable.. Like iIn my other fav show,which sadly probably will be the last season,i was so annoyed when the woman brought back to the show to give space for the crappy love story line.But,i'm annoyed with the story,not with the actress cause she can act and is much easier to look at,than AB,to put it mildly.Sorry for AB fans who happen to lurking around here.
    I'm so annoyed with this baby thing as well.But then again,it doesn't necessary mean they'll be together,right?.
    One thing that still remains a mystery to me is why they keep AB on the show when it's so crystal clear that she can't act...By the way,i'm not a native English speaker so some words probably lost in translations

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2008
  11. Faylinn

Hehe, I don't suppose you're talking about Prison Break? My sister watches that show (I gave it up in the first season, although at the time I enjoyed it), and sometimes my mom tapes it for her. I saw a bit of the first few episodes this season, and I have to say the whole she-wasn't-really-decapitated-and-now-she's-back-yay storyline was definitely lame.

At least NY isn't going there. :lol:

Well, I'm sure they'll have plenty of DRAMAZ, but they'll ultimately end up together - it's possible that they won't, but this is TV so I'm not holding my breath. For the immediate future, I really don't know what they have in mind for their relationship itself.

Oh God, I really don't want to watch CSI: Countdown To Baby - if they make me sit through decorating the nursery and Lamaze class, they're going to have to make it up to me somehow. :brickwall:

12. miss bolshoi bz

miss bolshoi bz Victim

He..he,spot on fay.That show not just jumping the shark but has created a new shark.I absolutely love William Fichtner,(not that weenie wentworth.)he's the main reason i still watch the show.As soon as they kill him off,i'm off too.I have the thing for ex cons..ha ha.Sorry for completely off topic.I won't do it again.Anyway,i'm so glad csi ny 5 got really good rating.I was really glad when they bring rikki.But now,phwwwww.I wish certain someone realizes how little to nothing she contributes to the show and dissapears FOREVER from csi ny.

13. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

The thing that's so frustrating is that Anna/Lindsay brings nothing to the table. She's not an interesting character as she's just a basically annoying narcissist who feels she should be treated like a goddes. Then, sadly she does. Any of her faults are glossed over.

Some of the things that she's done with the experiments, the way other CSI's react to her blatant, unprofessional behavior (slamming clipboards into people's chests when asked to update them, Storming away from evidence and not putting it back, Fleeing crime scenes with no explanation, IE just patting her hand and going "there there." indicate that Lindsay could do no wrong.

Imagine if Hawkes, Adam, or Stella did that. Notice that when they did get into questionable situations/do questionable things, that they got reamed. Adam for giving Gerrard evidence before Mac, Hawkes for having coffee with a victim, Stella and the HIV scare....They all got at the very least "You should have come to me first." and in many cases got the full wrath of Mac.

It's so OOC for Mac to not at the very least have issues with the things she's done. In reality, given his treatment of Danny in the first season, He should have torn her a new one. Why hasn't he?

The thing is, IMO, she's not meant to be written as a manipulative narcissist. She's meant to be a sweet Mary Sue character who is supposed to be likeable. Maybe the problem is that she's still such a blank page (after four years) that perhaps people can draw/write what they want on her, and in whatever way it can work. That's such a shame.

I don't want to get too much into other TV shows here, but If anyone watches/watched the show "NCIS," ther was the fact of one of the most popular actors/characters; Sasha Alexander, who played Kate Todd, leaving the show. What TPTB on NCIS did was skillfully write in Kates replacement, Ziva David, replaced by Cote de Pablo. Was Ziva as likeable as Kate? No. Was she similar to Kate in some of the things she did, like the way she interracted with Agent Tony Dinozzo? Yes. However, It was it's own unique thing. De Pablo made Officer David her own character, made her seperate from Kate, and yeah, while I always will like Kate better, Ziva is good. She takes the show forward. She doesn't detract from whatever is going on onscreen. And *GASP* she's actually had good character development over the three seasons she's been on the show. She's gone from a gruff Mossad assassin to a very smart, witty Crime scene analyst.

If you ask anything about Lindsay Monroe, you're going to have to eventually come back to something regarding Danny Messer. Not the same with Ziva David and Tony Dinozzo. There are so many different skills she has, quirks she has, and insight that she has that have NOTHING to do with Dinozzo. It's great, it's how a new character should come in.

To me, just that contrast of Ziva David taking over for Kate Todd and Lindsay Monroe taking over for Aiden Burn illustrate why Lindsay must go. She's so beyond saving at this point, and if this latest development comes to pass, well. It will certainly be it for her.

Any thought/questions on the Ziva vs. Lindsay parallells?

14. Top41

^Good example. Although I don't watch NCIS, I remember when Sasha Alexander left and they brought in a new character. I think something similar happened on Criminal Minds.

Lindsay came in with little more than a cliched idea about what a country girl should be and a romance with Danny that was scripted from day one. I think that all could have been transcended and Lindsay could have grown into her own character had a better actress portrayed her. Anna just doesn't have the range or the depth to give the character the layers needed to make her feel real, and not just a walking cliched love interest for the show's most popular character.

15. Faylinn

Yep. Elle left after the first season - I didn't hate her, but I didn't love her either. I thought it sucked to lose an original cast member, but I wasn't against the idea of getting someone new. I was a bit skeptical about Emily at first (because of the first episode I saw her in, where they conveniently went to Gitmo and she conveniently knew Arabic), but she grew on me (despite my initial misgivings, the writers seemed to have a distinct idea of what they wanted the character to be and once I saw more of her, I got it) - I think the cast changes on Criminal Minds have improved the team, quite honestly. I liked Gideon, but I've grown to like Rossi, and I like the interactions between all of the team members. They really mesh.

Compared to Criminal Minds, Lindsay's addition - and the way things are in her FOURTH season on the show - seems all the more feeble. I worried that they might hook Emily up with one of the other characters several times, but the writers didn't go there (despite the fact that they had plenty of chemistry to work with and it wouldn't have been outside the realm of possibility).

Each of those characteristics is bad enough on its own, and even together they could be overcome with a combination of skilled writing and nuanced acting.

I might have less problems with Lindsay the love interest if Lindsay the country girl wasn't such a shallow cliche - there's so little depth to the character, and the details about where she's from and how she grew up just sound kind of ridiculous more often than not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.