Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

^That is exactly what I didn't get. He chose to go through that without her, and she just loses her mind and does all those crazy stuff that absolutely let Danny with his jaw dropped, and baring in mind that she doesn't know about Rikki, imagine if she did.

2. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Whether or not that truly is the case we may never know, but it certainly comes off that way more than not, and that doesn't just offend me as a viewer, but I can't help but consider all the people who put their time and effort into the show. Her coworkers and colleagues who strive to make the show what it is. It's rather condescending.

3. AbbyD

AbbyD Dead on Arrival

For myself, I haven't liked Lindsey since her entrance in Season 2: Zoo York.

Her first scene with the tiger? Flat. Totally flat. Go back and watch it. You'd think that she'd have *tried* to act in her first appearance in the show. Later in the episode, she was being all snotty to Danny in the lab when she was looking for something and slamming the cabinet doors. OK, so a co-worker plays a teeny little joke on you your first day. GET OVER IT!!! Laugh it off. You've just moved to a new city and you're going to start off by being a jackass to one of your new colleagues?

With each successive installment, I've found the character of Lindsey in an ever increasing downward death spiral.

My objection to Lindsey is two part. First, the character is utterly dislikable and ill conceived. The second part is that Anna appears to neither have the talent or the desire to play a main character on prime time television.

I find it beyond comprehension that she hasn't been fired. The only consistency I find in her performance is the vibe that she doesn't want to be there.

Lately, I've been watching old shows and I have to say that I'm constantly struck by the fact that (for the most part) the actors hired for single episodes do an amazing job of just walking in and playing a bad guy/victim/witness/etc. For an example, watch S4 RND. Stella's neighbor Bonnie is sooooo good! At first, she is the friendly slightly apologetic neighbor. Later, the unrepentant child stealer who is perfectly at peace with the idea that she can take any child she wants. This actress does so well, that you don't notice that she is acting. WHICH IS THE ENTIRE POINT! An actor/actress should never give a performance which is so poor that you are dropped out of the story and start watching them act. Can see them remember their blocking? Counting steps to hit their mark? I think that this is why Anna's portrayal of Lindsey has always struck me as coming off like a high school drama club presentation.

As to the allusion by another poster that everyone on this thread is against Lindsey solely because they are Danny/Flack shippers....not true. I've only recently found this site and discovered that Danny/Flack shippers exist. I hated Lindsey loooonnnnngggg before that.

To all the Danny/Flack shippers I say; Enjoy! Everyone is entitled to their fun filled fantasy.

I'm not a Danny/Flack shipper for purely personal reasons. Flack is MINE! MINE! MINE! Danny can keep his little kinkapoodle hands to himself!:devil::devil::devil:

Same goes for that nogoodnik Angel. Friends and co-workers, absolutely. But watch the hands!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Welcome, Silver_angel, to the thread!

:lol: Ah yes, that painful scene in season three. It's actually rather amusing and ironic now, after what's happened in season four. In that scene, Lindsay jumped the gun and assumed Danny wanted a relationship with her when all Danny wanted was a good time. And he even told her that to her face. The transcribed dialogue from that scene is as follows:

Lindsay: I can't do this, Danny.
    Danny: Do what?
    Lindsay: I can't be in a relationship with you.

Here's where the big six million dollar revelation takes place. Danny's flustered and even has a confused expression on his face.

Danny: I'm talking about spending some time together ... dinner, a few drinks ... some laughs.
    Lindsay: Look, Danny, I like you a lot but right now I can't. It's not you, okay, it's ... I just need to be by myself so I can work some stuff out that I thought I'd put behind me. I didn't mean for this to happen. Maybe we should just do our jobs.

Interesting that even then, Danny was clear about just wanting a good time, no? That's why it's not surprising he'd have such a WTF expression on his face when Lindsay hurled the Monologue of Doom on him.

:lol: That last line made me laugh. But yes, it was indeed very low. Particularly since it was just over a lunch offer turned down and that Danny didn't go to her for support on her own terms. :wtf:

That boggles me too. In season three, we got her Big Dark Secret storyline that's supposed to endear the audience to her or something. (All it did for me was confirm she's the ultimate Canon Sue.) Her friends were all killed except her. She had PTSD spring on her out of the blue. Then a co-worker of hers, someone she claims to be her 'best friend', loses a child he cared about to a tragic death.

And she goes the hypocrite route and we're expected to think she's the 'wronged one' and that Danny is the 'bad guy' because he didn't do things the way she wanted him to? :wtf: Rationality no there.

Agreed. That's what grates me, that the others evidently put in a great deal of effort into their characters and the show and she ... doesn't seem to. It already shows in the fact Danny and DL were used as props for Lindsay all these years. Why would a well-developed, independent character need any propping in the first place? Because Lindsay isn't one. And seeing as she's going on to the fourth year of being on the show, that is very sad.

Yeah, does anyone else get that vibe too? I noticed it by season three. If that's the case, it makes me wonder if that has some bearing on her performance on the show.

5. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

See here's the thing that I always wonder. What do people on the show think of her? Like REALLY what does everyone there think. I mean honestly if they didn't see something in her I'm sure they would have gotten rid of her a long time ago. There's no way they would keep an actor that is hindering a show unless they saw something... anything in her. I'm sorry but they would not waste money on that if they didn't.

I'm sorry if that made no sense. I'm so tired.

6. Silver_angel

Silver_angel Victim

That is something I'm wondering aswell since everyone kinda say that Anna is a sweet girl and a talented actress(I'm talking about older interviews with Hill and Carmine not the resently ones)
    But she isn't if you compare her with Melina or Jaqueline she comes of flatly and emotionless.
    She is really arogant remember the scene with Adam in Can you Hear me now, where's she's claiming to have a better social live then him or her showoff against Mac or Stella.

7. captain_nati

captain_nati Prime Suspect

Well I saw the crossover of Ny and Miami and her attitude got on my nerves! She was the new one what did she expected? It's not like Mac get her off the case, he just send her to the lab! And she had more scenes than Hill who was supposed to be on the field. The worst part was when she snapped to Danny 'cause he called her Montana and asked her if she had seen so much blood ever before! Geez... we are sorry Miss Monroe that we don't know what happened in your past... I don't even wanna start talking about Anna's performance...

8. VThewannabe

VThewannabe Victim

Yeah i saw that and thought "reel your neck in love" :lol:

I am watching s2,3 and 4 at the moment and i can really see how she is totally different from 2 -4. the way she explains her findings seem the same but the rest of her personality is totally different, sour faced and permantly moody springs to mind :confused:

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

AbbyD, word to everything you said in your post, especially this. There are so many talented people on this show, either as guest stars or regular/recurring actors. My problem with Anna's acting has always been that you can tell it's acting--she comes off as very scripted and unnatural. I really put it together for the first time in "All Access"--the moment she put her hand on Danny's shoulder was just so awkward and unrealistic, like she was following direction from the script (or the director). That moment should have seemed natural. It didn't.

Well, there's the matter of contract, but yeah, I'm sure somebody higher up must think she adds something to the show. Because she's such a stereotypical character, I think it has more to do with the fact that she adds an outsider/non-NY's perspective to the show than it does with her talent, or lack thereof.

10. privatename

privatename Rookie

I was watching the rerun of "Boo" the other night and this became very clear to me in the scene where she grapples with the old woman. I know Lindsay is supposed to be frightened in that scene, but it looks completely scripted and unnatural to me. It is almost like she is working too hard to hit her marks or remember the choreography so that I didn't get fright from her acting -- instead I got taken out of the scene completely. It was a huge contrast to a scene Adam had later in the episode in which he conveyed fright so much better with one expression and a swallow (that probably sounds funny, but you could see his adam's apple move up and down and it helped convey the emotion somehow.)

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

That one stood out for me as well. It's like she can't fake it--which is kind of what acting is all about. :rolleyes:

12. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I actually think she does a great job as faking it as an actor. Mainly because when I think of people being fake I think of people who are very see through, or people you can tell are trying far to hard. Any decent decent actor would just make it happen. Seamless and natural. It takes a lot more than just faking it.

On another note, the other day I was watching my season 2 DVD and I was watching Dancing With The Fishes. There was something Stella said about Lindsay that stood out to me.

Right after she said that all I could think of were how the times Lindsay has pouted, whined, complained, run away or given up completely outnumber the times she's stood her ground. I think that's really sad.

13. privatename

privatename Rookie

One of the reasons I get really annoyed with the character of Lindsay is that I sometimes feel like "they" try to get us to like her by pointing out at various turns how great she is at this or that or how concerned she is or how tragic her past is or what a breath of fresh air she is because she is from Montana. The big problem is her actions don't bear these things out. It is like a case of the emperor's new clothes - if they keep telling us how great she is then we will believe it no matter how bad or rude or selfish she actually acts.

I agree with this. When I watch all the other characters it feels like they are the characters and most things Lindsay does don't seem natural -- they seem staged (which of course they are) and forced. Good actors, as you said WhosLaughingNow, make their actions and words on screen seem natural and an organic part of the character they are playing.

14. VThewannabe

VThewannabe Victim

To the point for me that when i am watching as far as i am concearned what is happening is what these people do in real life, i dont see them as actors making a tv show, i am engrossed in the show itself that for most of it it is real. Yet now with her it is not the same , maybe beacuse i spend to much time here :thumbsup: but i doubt that.
    Now i find myself being taking out of the show and picking up on lindsay flaws and inconsistancies when she is on screen and as much as i dont want to Anna bash here, i do belive that she has to take some responsibility as she is after all playing the character. People are paid to do a job.
    If you are singer and you stage a shite performance on MTV ,you are going to get slated in the press the next day. So in my opinion i think she needs to raise her game.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  15. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Same here! Stella's line was just like Danny's 'chemistry' line; if a character actually has to say it out loud for the sake of convincing the audience 'it's there' ... it most likely isn't. :guffaw:

Yeah, agreed very much. All this does is remove a lot of realism and believability, not only from Lindsay's character, but also from any other character who's been used to 'pimp' Lindsay. Kinda like a ripple on a water's surface. The damage spreads further and further the longer this 'pimping' is kept going, and it's already manifested itself so much in Danny's character assassination and to a certain extent, Mac too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.