Why Aren't You Posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thinks that the moderators are biatches? :lol:

There are a number of reasons why I don't post as frequently as I used to, rank laziness being one of them. I have a lot less time to post but read almost everything. Sometimes I just come back and pretty much everything that I was thinking on a particular subject has already been said and I don't want to be repetitive.

I also feel like the back and forth between who loves a character and who doesn't is getting old. I don't think that mine or anyone else's comments should be censored regardless of what our opinion is or who we support. Also, the personal attacking goes on on both sides but it's maddening when someone goes into a thread not devoted to loving a character to tell everyone else in there that they are so very wrong. What is going to happen in that case is everyone gets their dander up and it gets worse. I won't pretend that I'm innocent of this, but seriously it's difficult to ignore after the tenth time. It is something that we all have to work on...

Finally, as a couple of people have stated, you can only say how smoking hot Carmine, Eddie, or Hill are before running out of words. So, I stick to reading more than posting. Sometimes that's more entertaining anyway. :D

There's no need to apologize Catey. It may not have happened in the NY forums, but it does highlight the "swarm" phenomena perfectly.

This is the thread in question. Perhaps my comment was unnecessary, perhaps not--I feel that problems with me are better addressed by coming to me with them. Seething and bringing it up a week later in a different forum without full context doesn't help much.

I think the problem is that a lot of people view every comment 'trashing' Lindsay as an attack against the fans who like her. That's not the case. It's when people make things personal that we run into problems--sharing opinions isn't the issue. "I like Lindsay", "I loved that scene with Danny and Lindsay", etc vs "You need to stop trashing her", "people on other message boards like her", "I think you just don't like her because of Danny", etc--there is a difference. Just because the comments about how great she is don't comprise the majority of the grading threads, etc, doesn't mean that the people who don't like her are out to squash any other opinions.

Sometimes I think people read this forum expecting it to be a certain way, so certain things stand out.

Ok, I type slowly and Top41 posted, so I'll continue with her post

Top41 said:
I'm glad nobody has (yet) voted for "the moderators are biatches."
Well... ;)

People who don't like Lindsay: is it possible to maybe try to contain the anti-Lindsay sentiment to the "Why Lindsay Must Go" thread and the episode grading thread, places you'd naturally evaluate the character? Not as a rule--obviously if a thread comes up like, "Things you'd like to see less of in s. 4," and Lindsay is one of those things, by all means post it, but I have noticed dislike of Lindsay spreading here, there and everywhere on the forum.
That's the thing, though--I really don't see it spreading everywhere. Yes, people mention it in the Danny threads more than is probably wise--but what else are people talking about with regards to him? *shrug* If nobody talks about anything else, nothing else gets talked about. I don't think Every thread is turning into ZOMG I HATEZ LINDSAY!, you know? And that seems to be the impression. *shrug*

Splitting up the spoiler thread into spoilers in one thread/spoiler discussion in another
If it would make people happy, I say go for it. *shrug* Personally, I copy and paste the spoilers onto my LJ so I can easily find them when I want. ;)

PrettyEyes said:
DL/DF debate.
Can we please not assume that everybody who dislikes Lindsay or DL is doing it because they like Danny/Flack? Please? I'm so sick and tired of that being mentioned when it is not true or relevant.

PrettyEyes said:
Thank you Top. That's a big problem. Speaking for myself, I don't go into the "Why Lindsay Must Go" thread, because I know what's going to be in there. However, a good example is the "LR", "Has Danny Got His Balls Back" or something like that, and other threads that have nothing to do with Lindsay or DL being filled with the DL/DF debate. It's stifling at times.

I agree that it should be kept out of the Danny threads as much as possible. The "Danny getting his balls back" thread is one where it might be relevant because of the canon relationship; the Locker Room, not so much.

This is true also. However, it's distressing to read posts that say Lindsay should be killed off and so forth. Simply because a character is romantically linked with another character for the time being shouldn't warrant a death sentence. Offering to send flowers to TPTB when they kill her off is going above and beyond criticizing a "character."

I disagree with that. She's a fictional character, and hardly the only character I've ever seen suggested deserved killing off. And again, you're making that assumption that causes so many problems in the forum: Simply because a character is romantically linked with another character for the time being shouldn't warrant a death sentence. If you want to know why people want her to leave, read the "Why Lindsay Must Go" thread; if you don't, don't make erroneous assumptions that fan the flames.

Criticizing the actress by saying her "acting skills suck" and other such things go beyond the scope of character critique. Anna and other actors shouldn't be attacked, when they are professionals and we are merely "Monday morning quarterbacking" their appearance. That's not right.

They're professionals and I disagree with that wholeheartedly. No one should call one of the actors insulting names or make slurs on their characters--that's not allowed. But criticizing their professional work is allowed. That's no different than saying, "Wow, that was a shitty episode." That could be construed as an "insult" to the writer, couldn't it? Just because we don't see the writer's face and we do see Anna's doesn't make them any different.

Part of the problem is that people are being overly sensitive on both sides, and catering to that is akin to censorship. I'm not willing to do that here. I want everyone to feel free to express their opinions without lines being drawn in the sand and "you can say this but not that" being said. We have to be fair to both sides, and the goal is to allow both to express their opinions.

Can we please not assume that everybody who dislikes Lindsay or DL is doing it because they like Danny/Flack? Please? I'm so sick and tired of that being mentioned when it is not true or relevant.
Fay, you know as well as I do that the majority of people who are anti-Lindsay and anti-DL are the same people who in the same breath turn around and say Danny should leave Lindsay and go to Flack. That's true.

Perhaps if roles were reversed and you were a DL fan, you might feel differently.

Guys, please, let's not turn this into a ship war or make assumptions about what other people's motives are for posting. We need to find a solution in this thread, not cause more fights.

Fay, I'm not seething about what you wrote in the review, and I only read the review on Monday, not a week ago when it was first posted. In fact, the only reason I mentioned it here was because of the back and forth of it all. And now, this thread has devolved into the back and forth of the hate/like Lindsay. Mrs. G., thanks for trying to get stuff out in the open. I guess I'll slink back under the rock I came out from now.

^Don't slink away. :) If people do that, we're not going to reach a resolution here.

Here's another thing to keep in mind.... like MrsG said, TPTB read this forum. I can see how that would cause the Lindsay/Anna/DL fans to be somewhat more outspoken at times, because we don't want the character or the actress to be removed from the show. If TPTB see a lot of anti-Lindsay posting in many threads... well, nothing "good" can come of that.

I clicked on "Other" because while I do post at other places, I am limited in the time I have to post. I’m also not sure if my particular style of discussion fits into a forum style.

Mostly though, I find this forum to be more negative than I usually like to read. Note: This has nothing to do with other posters reactions to me when I post, but rather with the overall atmosphere of the board.

After an episode airs most of the comments are about what people didn't like in the ep or what they felt was wrong with it. When spoilers are posted, a majority of the posts are about what will go wrong with this spoiler, how it doesn't fit in with what poster X, Y or Z would like to see, or how TPTB will completely ruined the show, episode or character.

Don't get me wrong, I know that's what a great many people like to talk about and such thoughts engender strong emotions. I understand the need to have a place to vent and that snark is the currency of the Internet. A lot of people like it that way.

That said, I'm still amazed at the amount of time people spent talking about plot line and characters they don't like. I get tired of wading through posts that talk about how bad everything is. Like I said, I understand people feel that way, but it's not what I want to talk about.

I’d like to discuss themes and motifs of the show. I’d like to know if anyone else thinks that Hawke seems to have a problem with older, academic authority figures and what this could tell us about his character. I’d like to talk about the characters as important individuals rather than how wonderful/terrible a certain pairing is. I’d like to talk about what the show gives us rather than the things it doesn’t.

I’m new to the forum and I may just not have found a place where these things are discussed. Quiet honestly, I’m not sure if discussions are popular enough to even be considered. All I can tell you is that after the third of fourth post that talks about how terrible everything is or how badly the TPTB have messed everything up or how lousy the acting is, my eyes glaze over and I begin to doubt that my post will even be read in among the general dissing of the show, much less that anyone is interested in discussion.

ETA I have the same eye glazing problem when I read endless posts about how wonderful the pairing/actor/character is. I like a little *squee*, but I'd rather talk about the show.

I had to slowly move my cursor away from, "the moderators are biatches" ... he he, I love you Mrs G and Top .... Instead I went for "I just dont have as much time". Its true, school, work, life, it happens.

Theres no way in h-e-double hockey sticks, that I'm going to respond to what everyone said, some of the responses I totally understand and make sense - others I sit back and go, "WTF?? When has THAT ever happened?", its probably the lack of paying attention and not reading every single post in a certain thread - things slip past me. What'ev.

As an Anna/Lindsay fan - I'm not really a "shipper" of anything, theres perks to every ship I guess, I'm not biased towards one or the other. I personally have never felt attacked about my views or posts - maybe its because I dont give a rats booty if someone agrees with me or not - opinions are like buttholes - everyones got one, everyones entitled to speak their mind on whatever topic they choose.

I do aggree though that people on both sides of the "we like D/L" - "well we dont so there!" are being oversensitive or *cough*dramatic*cough*. Im sure theres a way a comprimise can be made so that everyone is somewhat happy right?

Also, last thing, I guess, my thing has always been that, I know what threads are heavily leaning towards one side or the other when it comes to the Anna/Lindsay debate, so, I just dont go in there - I think if it ruffles your feathers that people are bashing on her, or "your ship", or an episode you liked, but others didnt - simply - dont go in that thread.

If that made any sense?? Just my opinions and views on the situation. I think this forum is great - Mrs. G and Top are so kickback about things, and this is a great place to come and express your views and have some fun, I hate to hear that people are "scared" to come here in fear that they'll be gnawed to pieces for saying, "I like D/L".... *two thumbs up* this thread rocks!

Voted for "I have all the time in the world but post in different forums."

Like what LMH said, I can only post so much love for Gary or Mac :D

There is also the Lindsay hate. I am not a huge fan of Lindsay - I think the writing for her has been atrocious and I am still reserving judgement on her acting. So while I generally agree with the "wasn't Lindsay awful" sentiment, I do have a hard time with the (for lack of a better word) swamping that happens when a pro Lindsay post is entered. It kind of feels as though the sentiment is to smother the pro-Lindsay poster into oblivion or to send them back from whence they came.

^Agree on that one. I skip most of the posts in the ep review or spoiler threads now especially when I know who the poster is. Sometimes the vitriol is tiring.

Okay, here goes. Top and Mrs. G, in general I think you guys do a great job and try really hard to be fair. I don't mainly post as much because I have a 4-year-old boy that just doesn't understand my CSI love, but onto other things.

On the Lindsay/DL stuff. I am a Lindsay/DL fan, proud author of fanfiction, and do still post because, as some others have said, if you don't like what I have to say, no biggie. BUT, I can understand the reluctance of many DL/L fans to posting. As most everyone would agree, it's fairly more anti-Lindsay than pro. As a result, many of the posts in the grading thread and others contain negative Lindsay/DL thoughts and it's simply daunting for some to post positive comments about L/DL and get swept away in a tide of posts telling them why they disagree. (did I just use that awful metaphor? Wow. Sorry).

On the other side of the coin (another bad metaphor *smacks self*), I cringe whenever I see a DL/L fan come and post soemthing like: "You guys are so mean! I love Lindsay and Danny! You should love them too!" It invites arguement as much as over-the-top negativity about DL/L does. No one, as many have said, wants to be told what to like or what to feel.

Obviously, everyone has a right to their opinion, and posters should not feel they have to edit themselves unless it's to cut out profanity or nastiness. If you love Lindsay and/or DL and can't stand negative thoughts about her, you just shouldn't read threads where the anti-L/DL comments reside most .... obviously the WLMG thread, grading thread, spoilers thread. *shrug*

I personally still read the latter two anyway, because there is a lot of good things to read and a lot I still agree with. I love the show as a whole, not jsut for L/DL, and love to read what everyone things about it as a whole. That means reading stuff I don't agree with. Big whoop.

PS: Those of you who do not speak English as your first language, PLEASE do not feel funny about posting. I have immense admiration for anyone who can speak more than one language. I can't, unless you count pig latin. Avay ayah oodgay ayday.

The mods are biatches, but they're extremely hot biatches. ;) :lol:

Wow, I didn't see this thread yesterday and I come in and see there's already shipper wank here. Heh. No surprise there. Shipper Hell is the wankiest part of the forums for good reason.

I didn't vote for anything, but if I did, it would be, "Fandom is fantastic and fun but real life PWNs any time."

I post as often as I can (which is really measly compared to most of you guys, I know). I stick to the CSI:NY-related forums since it's the only CSI show I regularly watch (well, okay, maybe not every week since last season). And, uh, I'm a mod of Shipper Central. :lol: I have to be there.

I'm not really sure what to say about the D/L VS D/F thing. I find it amusing more than anything else. As some of you have mentioned, it's just a show with fictional characters. However, being active in one of the ships and having seen cold, hard evidence of how wanky and insane things can be, yes, I can see how it can get scary for some people. :lol: I just pull up a chair and take out the popcorn.

And yes, it's true, a number of D/F fans are very outspoken and aren't afraid to speak their minds and defend their statements. We aren't the type to just sit there and let things be shoveled into our mouths and be happy with that, even more so when it's done in a condenscending manner or we are expected to react that way.

I absolutely agree there's a major difference between criticism and insults, and there have been some posts now and then that crosses the line. Both sides are guilty of this. Anyone would be a liar to deny this. (C'mon, I am a Shipper Hell mod and I don't just hang around here. :p)

From the posts here so far, it seems the intended ultimatum is for all negative comments to be taken out of the equation. Yeah, this could help take away any possible wank ... but I also feel this has its way of sucking the life out of discussion. It's like being in a debate, but both sides just say nice (and very likely false) things about each other and things go totally nowhere because there's nothing to talk about. :lol: That'll kill the boards for sure!

(I hope I made sense.)

Mightion said:
If TPTB see a lot of anti-Lindsay posting in many threads... well, nothing "good" can come of that.
People might worry about that, but it's not an issue--Peter Lenkov confirmed that they do occasionally read boards like this one, but he also made it very clear that they don't let what they read alter how they do things. ;) If they read the boards and learn that fans love Danny in a white shirt, and then put him in white shirts (which may or may not be the case)--well, that's a far cry from getting rid of a character or actress. So no worries. ;)

Partly said:
I’d like to discuss themes and motifs of the show. I’d like to know if anyone else thinks that Hawke seems to have a problem with older, academic authority figures and what this could tell us about his character. I’d like to talk about the characters as important individuals rather than how wonderful/terrible a certain pairing is. I’d like to talk about what the show gives us rather than the things it doesn’t.
Baby, start those discussions--we'd all like to take part. If nobody starts something like that, we're stuck saying how cute they are. :p There's a Hawkes thread that would be good for the speculation about him, by the way. All of the characters have threads that would be glad to have the discussion--and it wouldn't get lost. Trust me, we'll snap up any good discussion we can find, and if the only good discussion is how the writers screw something up, then that's all we've got to chew on. ;)

CSINYRULZ said:
*cough*dramatic*cough*
whutusay.jpg

:p

audrina said:
As most everyone would agree, it's fairly more anti-Lindsay than pro. As a result, many of the posts in the grading thread and others contain negative Lindsay/DL thoughts and it's simply daunting for some to post positive comments about L/DL and get swept away in a tide of posts telling them why they disagree. (did I just use that awful metaphor? Wow. Sorry).
((Quoted for content, not poster.))

See, that's the thing--if people who like Lindsay never post to say that they like her, how can anybody expect a thread to have a lot of posts saying how great she is?

Also:

Kimmychu said:
From the posts here so far, it seems the intended ultimatum is for all negative comments to be taken out of the equation. Yeah, this could help take away any possible wank ... but I also feel this has its way of sucking the life out of discussion.
Exactly. Telling people who don't like something not to post would lessen the divide between the number of 'positive' comments and the 'negative' comments, but that's not fair.

audrina said:
PS: Those of you who do not speak English as your first language, PLEASE do not feel funny about posting. I have immense admiration for anyone who can speak more than one language. I can't, unless you count pig latin. Avay ayah oodgay ayday.
Ditto, except the part about pig latin. (That either says "have a good day" or "have a gay day". ;)) We might not always understand 100% of what you say, and you might not always understand us, but we've got members from all over the world and we're always willing to take the time to ask or discuss it. ;) Besides, your English is automatically better than my [insert your native language here]. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back