What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. smacked4ever

smacked4ever Prime Suspect

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

i am reading tommyknockers by stephan king right at the moment. yes i already read the stand by the same author and that is why i am trying another one by him.

2. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I'm reading "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" by Leo Tolstoy.

We were all assigned a book to read for my "Death and Dying" class (yep, I have that ;) ) and that was the one I got. Basically it's about how death affects the people around us, both physically and spiritually. It was also the first book Tolstoy wrote after converting to Christianity, so it provides a different view of death then some of his earlier works.

3. MyMutantRomance

MyMutantRomance Witness

The Bielski Brothers: The True Story of three men who defied the Nazis, saved 1,200 Jews and built a village in the forest. By peter Duffy.

If you liked the movie Defiance, you have to read this book.

4. luf100

luf100 Coroner

The third Dexter book, Dexter in the Dark. I love all the books, no complaints about this one yet either, it's awesome so far. :D

5. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

Basically, since school started, I've only been reading the assigned books. We've read two books in the past three weeks.

Dante's Inferno- part of his Commedia (he never called the trilogy 'Divine'. That was added later). I really enjoyed it. I thought it was clever, insightful, and a brilliant satirical work of the corruption going on in the society at the time. The levels of Hell were fascinating as were the contrapasso (counter suffering) for each. Plus, it was easy to understand and we had summaries in the back of each chapter to explain the symbolic meanings of his canto (chapter).

Henry IV Part I- One of Shakespeare's plays. We've only read this one as we are about to start studying the history of that time after Richard II died by Henry IV's hand (well, it is assumed that that's who killed him) making Henry IV the King of England. It depicts his struggle with the rebel force and his dislike of his son Hal (who later becomes Henry V). I don't really understand Shakespeare, but I thought it was also excellent.

I need some more books to read, but I don't really have time. Plus, I get to read classics at school. But those were pretty good books which I don't normally say about school books.

6. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

English grammar books, darn my want to be a book editor. :lol:

For fun I'm about to start Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. And before anyone asks, yes it's a real title; there is also Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. But back to the zombies...this book was recommended to me by a friend and I checked reviews and one said there was 'bone crunching action' so that was a draw to me. Also who doesn't love a good zombie fight? :)

7. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ I've read that! Hilarious and actually well combined- the zombies and the Austen society. It totally cracked me up. :)

8. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I'm reading "Altered Carbon" by Richard K. Morgan.

http://www.amazon.com/Altered-Carbo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253343228&sr=8-1

It's an interesting tale set in the 25th century. Death is pretty much archaic, although the Catholics aren't down with that, and for the rich, you can literally live forever. Unless you get murdered or commit suicide. That's where this one begins, as an ancient rich and powerful man thinks he was murdered, but the police think he killed himself. So this guy, trained as a sort of mercenary/investigator goes into a new body to try and find out what happens.

I'm not very far in, but what I've read so far is extremely intriguing. Not for the faint of heart, as there's language and sex, I understand, but still a good book.

9. heartcore

heartcore Prime Suspect

I'm reading "Nothing to wear and nowhere to hide" by Fay Weldon.

Kinda cool, though I dont really have much time for reading at the moment :/

10. Star4CatESPChick

Star4CatESPChick Police Officer

Right now, I am reading a mystery called 'Murder on Monday' by Ann Purser. It is interesting so far. I enjoy reading mysteries!

11. Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel Rookie

Right now I'm reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown
    there's been a lot of controversy over Dan Browns two previous books Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code and The Lost Symbol follows in their tracks this time creating conspiracy around the Freemasons, but I loved his other books an this one is no exception, it's soo good!
    There's an amazing twist that makes everything worth it, I definitely recommend it :)

12. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I'm reading "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck. I went to Books-A-Million around 7:30 pm last night. I thought I was getting "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck. It wasn't till I got home and read the first page that I realized I got the wrong book. I was planning to take it back but then I got to reading it and so far I've read the first 2 chapters and the first 2 or 3 pages of chapter 3. I've now decided I'm gonna keep it and finish it. But I am going back to Books-A-Million in a few minutes and get "Of Mice and Men". <---Guess what I plan to read when I finish "The Pearl".

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  13. GoodLittle Wench

GoodLittle Wench Coroner

I am reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. "It is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey taken by father and his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape blasted by an unnamed cataclysm that destroyed all civilization." It's pretty good, but a little hard to follow.

~GLW

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

everyone told me i should read the road, as i like that kind of thing normally, but i just couldn't get into it at all - which is a shame as it's meant to be amazing...

i'm currently reading "the wayward bus" by steinbeck (i love him!) - it's really good, it's quite humourous which is unusual for steinbeck, but as usual the characters are great, the setting is great, the writing is great and it's just great generally.

i start uni again tomorrow and one of my classes is "masterpieces of french literature" which i'm soo excited about - it'll be all those books that people who claim to be french scholars ought to have read, stuff like voltaire, proust and so on. it'll be amazing!

15. MyMutantRomance

MyMutantRomance Witness

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.
    I'm reading it for my English class. The main character drives me crazy, you're ssuppose to feel sorry for her but i find myself feeling she is stuck up and rude...