What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

Im reading "A million little peices" by James Frey, it is so sad. Its about a man (James Frey) who goes through an addiction to drugs and alcohol, its really sad and so intense. By i totally recomend it!

2. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

I just finished reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It was for english and my teacher explained that the "A" on Hester's chest is a symbol of all the sins that the other townspeople committed. The book was hard to understand because of the diction, but its a great book that has a lot of drama and hidden symbols that have multiple meanings.

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ The "A" actually stood for "adultery" I believe. Must have been an interesting time when people could openly brand you like that... ah, the good old days! :lol:

I started reading The Golden Compass because I really wanted to see what all the brou-hah-hah was about and I have to say, I haven't been able to put it down! I'm not sure what the movie's like, but dang, it sure is a compelling read. I'm not normally one for reading about the adventures of children, but Harry Potter certainly proved to me that I can get into it sometimes, so I thought I'd give it a try. I wasn't disappointed. I can't wait to read the next two in the series. :)

4. Alien_from_mars

Alien_from_mars Prime Suspect

I am currently reading 'the colour of magic'! I use to read it on train, but now I dont get train I am only half way thru and have not gotten round to reading the rest yet!

5. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I've got quite a few too add.

Memorial Day by Vince Flynn

Not one of his best books but it sets up the plot of his next book so a definite read. I thought the ending was creative in that
    the bomb wasn't destroyed but blown up safely destroying a government facility.
    Very ingenious.

Consent to Kill Vince Flynn

This book is amazing there are surprises for most of the characters plus you get a little more info on Rapp's upbringing. So much drama and in this book Mitch really does evolve in a way that is pretty unexpected.

Book of Fate Brad Meltzinger
    Terrible book the characters are flat and it's hyped to have a historical message but it doesn't and plot was ridiculous and total waste of time.

Absoulute Power David Baldacci

Great book was interesting to see all of the characters deal with their role in the crime and you know from the beginning who's guilty so it's a change to see the crime unfold to the characters. Very good characters as well.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

It's based somewhat on the author's life so its very realistic. The book is well written and the characters are all different. The setting is very detailed you easily picture it and it's a book where you feel for the characters.

6. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

If you've seen the movie Psycho (and enjoyed it), the book 'Deviant' is ideal for you.

Harold Schechter tells the biography of Ed Gien (who Norman was based on) from a psychologist point of view and delves into the mind of one of the most prolific serial killers of the century.

It's a must for all you budding profilers and psychology enthusiast out there. But it's not for the faint hearted. While the psychology of it is rather clinical, the descriptions of the murders can be graphic. It's o different to what we see on CSI, but it's different when it actually happened.

7. chabib86

chabib86 Dead on Arrival

I'm halfway through Ian McEwan's "Atonement".
    I saw the movie and it was just so brilliant that I bought the book in an airport shop last week. I read the first half on my flight home, and I'm going to finish it on my flight back :).
    I'm glad I saw the movie first, though, because I didn't know the ending and it came as a complete shock. I won't ruin it for anyone, but the movie is a must-see!

8. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

bad me! I love reading I don't know how i could have missed this thread. *slaps self on face*.

Okay so at the moment I am reading.....*goes to check book collection*..........erm James Patterson's "Maximum Ride"..it a thriller but I haven't got into the full swing of the story. Barely finished the first page so cant say much about it.

9. LadyCrow

LadyCrow Victim

right now Im reading about PHP and MySQL databases :p since Im not too good with these data bases - Im web and flash designer/developer and as well front-end coder(HTML and CSS) generally and PHP is still foreign land to me but they require it in the big IT firms here so Im reading this in my free time lol

10. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

I've just started "Sacred Sin", it's by Nora Robert's, about a cop who has to find a murderer, who kills his victims and then dresses them in a priest wrap, with a cross, written with the words..."You've been saved.
    It's pretty good so far, I'm just up to the part where he is after the cops girlfriend. :eek:

11. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

I've started reading The Devil In The White City. Its about the famous World's Columbian Fair (or something like that) Its nonfiction and I'm reading it for my english class. The prologue was interesting, I just hope that the rest of the book is also interesting.

12. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Been bored so I started reading a book I wanted to read for a while.

Günter Grass - Kopfgeburten (Headbirths)

With Grass' novels it is hard to give proper overviews or summaries, as his style of writing very complex and extensive. It is definitely worth a read though, especially when you're interested in German history and society. (Which I am not :p)

He has a unique style of writing which I am not sure translates well to English, so it's probably more recomendable for German readers. (This is weird coming from me, who hates reading books in German and has always prefered English literature)

13. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm currently reading The Penguin Book of Crime Stories Selected and Introduced by Peter Robinson. The book is a collection of short stories by such authors as Peter Robinson, Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin, Robert J. Sawyer, Eric Wright, and many more. Michael Connelly's story is a Harry Bosch one and Ian Rankin's is a John Rebus. Robert J. Sawyer's is a science fiction story that is set on Mars which in itself is unusual as Sawyer's books are usually based in around the Toronto area. I haven't read all the stories yet but the ones I have read are good.

14. Yurek

Yurek Pathologist

I'm reading John Katzenbach's 'The Madman's Tale'.

I got it a few week ago but I still haven't read half the book. But it's good. I like it. :)

15. csinut

csinut Lab Technician

Right now I'm reading The Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follet. It's very long, almost 1,000 pages, but it's a good story, especially if you're into history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.