What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I finally finished Stephen King's Lisey Story after 3 months. :lol: :eek:

I don't know why it's taken me so long to read, it could possibly be that I find Stephen Kings style a little hard to get into initially (I don't think this is a SK problem, it's more with myself. :lol: ), and as I've not read a Stephen King book for two years, I think that also contributed to it.

The reviews on this book have been quite bad, and I admit that the first 200 or so pages I was seriously considering admitting defeat with it, but I soldiered on. To my surprise I ended up really, really liking it and was so pleased with the outcome and the whole plot line (minus the hard slog at the beginning). Stephen King is an amazing storyteller and his imagination is just mind blowing. I think this book is an excellent example of that. This may sound really stupid, but this book really has worked my imagination to the max (especially during the end) and I feel a little exhausted now. :lol:

2. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Well done Tink for finally finishing your book! :D I know it has been a struggle, but it seems it improved and was rewarding in the end. I admire your perseverance. :)

3. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Thanks Luce. :D

I really feel like I've accomplished something in finishing it. :eek: Hopefully the next book I read will be a little less challenging. :lol:

4. Need4Speed

Need4Speed Coroner

i was reading the Harry Potter series..i read them all this week...i just finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince yesterday for the like 130th time......i've read them all 130 times and three of those times were upsidedown and 2 times sideways...yes....i know...i'm crazy......and i take pride in thatt fact.....lol and i can't wait till the 7th book comes out...Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows...

5. BlueStarlight

BlueStarlight Rookie

I just finished Paulo Coelho’s “The Alchemist”. That book is so good. Inspiring! I recommend it!
    Couple weeks ago I was reading Nicholas Sparks “The Notebook”. It’s not the best book (most time I guessed what is going to happen next, and it don’t have big depth), but is sweet, very romantic story. It’s one of rare books that made me cry. At the end I was actually reading and crying at the same time but I couldn’t stop reading! Especially touching ending!
    Sorry about Grammatical and Spelling errors I’m foreigner, and I learned English by myself.

6. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Faithless by Karin Slaughter. I'm midway through it right now andf I have to say I'm very pleased with it. Her first two books Blindsighted and Kisscut were fantastic, those had a great mix of characters and were an amazing thriller/mystery suspense. Then her next two books just went downhill, the plots were thin and the character weren't as engrossing. Now however I think she's really starting to write in her old style, which is amazing.

7. pixies

pixies Prime Suspect

im reading the language of the genes by steve jones! I know it sounds nerdy but its really good! anyone here a philip pullman fan?

8. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

I'm reading a forensic book called Hidden Evidence by David Owen. It's very interesting, but makes what our lovely CSIs do look clean and sanitary...these crimes are way too graphic for TV.

9. Roosey

Roosey Captain

I really love Paulo Coelho's books. They're awesome.

I am currently reading two books.

• Lies of Silence, by Brian Moore. I think it's a really good book so far.
    • Karel en de Elegast. Dutch people will look at me like I'm crazy, but I just love reading old books! It takes me a long time to uncode the sentences, because they're all in old Dutch.

10. caspur93

caspur93 Victim

I'm reading the 5th Harry Potter book.
    I stole it from my roommate over a year ago and still haven't given it back, I haven't had too much time to read it. But so far so good.

11. 4ENSIX

4ENSIX Pathologist

I am currently reading "Rickshaw" by Lao She, "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and "Oedipus Rex" by Sophocles. And yes, I am reading them of my own free will. :lol:

12. CaRWash_Cutie

CaRWash_Cutie Rookie

I just finished reading the Uglies triology by Scott Westerfield. The three books (Uglies, Pretties, and Specials) are about a girl named Tally who lives in a future where everyone has an operation at the age of 16 that makes them beautiful for life. The only downside to this operation is that they also make it so you can't think for yourself or have rebelous thoughts. THe triology discusses the idea of beauty in society and how it could potentially destroy the world. I highly recommend them!

13. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

I just finished a book that my little sister lent me its called the blue girl. Its about this girl who moves to a new town and finds her self dealing with fairies and a thing called the anithim or something, which is basically soul suckers.

14. hot4jontogo

hot4jontogo Rookie

anyone here a hardcore rock music fanatic such as myself?? if you are, then you HAVE to read "sonata for jukebox" by geoffrey o'brien. its a collection of essays written by an amazing poet and music critic. he explains what we see and feel when we hear a song. his writing is amazing. ive read his chapter on the beatles more times then i can count.

15. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

Has anyone read Lovely Bones?

I hear good things, but I haven't decided whether or not to read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.