What are the chances Stella will test positive?

Top41

Administrator
Administrator
Premium Member
I want to start out by saying that I do think Stella's storyline about her possible HIV infection is a good one, both for the character and for raising HIV awareness, but I'm not so sure that dramatically it's going to play out well. I think a big part of the problem with the story is that we have to believe there's a chance she could test positive, and I guess I really don't think there is. Had it been one of the supporting players (basically, someone aside from Mac and Stella and possibly Danny), I could have bought the risk. But because it's the leading lady, I'm seriously doubting she'd test positive.

What do you guys think? Do you think it's possible she'd test positive? And if not, does it affect how you feel about the storyline?

I agree. Having Stella end up positive isn't likely to happen, which is too bad in a way. I love that they brought this into the show at all. And if it were a less prominant character, who knows how it would play out.
Another reason I don't think it will happen is that it would require too much continuity, which all CSI's are really bad for ;)

Please don't hit me people-who-like-the-plot but don't you think it was kinda a lame storyline to begin with because its pretty obvious they wont have her test positive? It was sweeps week after all if I'm not mistaken.

I would just like to note that I don't watch NY that much so I might not know somthing here that is from before the epi where she realized she might have it (that I can't remember the name of).

I too don't believe that they will have her be positive. It would really be good to have her as HIV positive because it would showcase that HIV can happen to anyone, not just the druggies and the like. As with continuity, yeah that is a big problem with the shows (why don't they hire someone to check these things).

I wonder what has been the response to this? Don't they (CBS) have a site or something to hear peoples thoughts on what to do?

Her chances are very low for a good number of reasons. It's all an educated guess from my perspective.

HIV is definately among the most lethal viruses in recent history but it is also a remarkably fragile virus that is vulnerable to changes temperature and surroundings. The virus is destroyed within a matter of minutes upon exposure to air, water, and cooler temperatures outside the body.

The combination of exposure to air, dilution and being killed by water, as well as the ambient temperature being well below 98.6 degrees COMBINED with anti-viral medicines would drastically reduced the virus's ability to infect someone by means of broken glass.

I was also rather ticked off at the situation that she was put in. I mean, if you research crime-scene clean up crews, they ALWAYS use bio-hazard suits, and will put any blood or body-fluid soaked, clothes, furniature, and other items into bio-hazard containers or special bags to be incinerated.

They will have likely not allowed Stella and the CSI's in to examine the guy's body without notifying her and the other CSI's of a potential pathogen.

Anyway though her chances of being HIV-Positive are very low, other more infectious pathogens should be of greater concern. Bacterial or non-HIV viral infections such as syphilis, herpes, typhus, gonorrhea, dengue fever, or even other lethal diseases such as malaria or West Nile should be of greater concern.

For everything that AIDs has caused, it pales in comparison to the davastation that malaria has caused in much of Africa, even in places that have not been hard hit by the AIDS pandemic. While not trying to change the subject too much, malaria is one of the deadliest diseases of all time and before quinine and antibiotics were developed, many Europeans didn't even consider Africa habitable until these medicines were developed which made conquest and colonization possible. Malaria has davastated many areas that even AIDS has not (yet) been able to do. While education has proven to be useful against AIDS when done right, malaria is far more communicable and should be a concern.

That said, Stella while understandably terrified of the possibility of acquiring HIV (not likely), malaria, and syphilis should be of greater concern. If Stella actually tests positive for HIV, it could very well send CSI: NY into the abyss. I know it's just TV but the whole prospect of seeing a great charachter waste away over time is too much for me. If she is positive, I swear I'm going to mentally discard all continuity after "Run Silent Run Deep" and write my own timeline fanfics from now on. :mad: :rolleyes:

Axatullux said:

Anyway though her chances of being HIV-Positive are very low, other more infectious pathogens should be of greater concern. Bacterial or non-HIV viral infections such as syphilis, herpes, typhus, gonorrhea, dengue fever, or even other lethal diseases such as malaria or West Nile should be of greater concern.

I think in a country like the States, she should be more afraid of Hepatitis B and C virus than of typhus or dengue... In France the protocol after a blood exposure incident is about both HIV, HBV and HCV, but for some reason people seem only concerned by the 1st, when there's also a lethal (and sometimes immediate) risk with hepatitis.

Ok, here I am ruining spoilers again :p
Well, anyway, since I have seen it, I can give my opinion, which is, by the way, the same as yours. I guess they wouldn't make this happen to a lead character, because, as said before, it would have to have to much continuity after that, and yeah, i agree, they are not really good at it. Sometimes I am watching an episode, and I like the storyline with one of the characters and i am like "ok, the next one they will develop this" and then they don't even mention it :rolleyes: anyway, i think it's not likely they will do it, it would be hard then to get a storyline with Stella and to continue with just the normal "crime scene" storyline, if this makes any sense...

I completely agree with Axatullux.

The chances of Stella being infected with AIDS/HIV in this situation is highly unlikely. From past episodes, we now know Stella does not have AIDS, but is still waiting to see if she is +HIV ( which takes 28 days not the 3 months the show states ).

I think if she does test +HIV, it is really going to cause an uproar. Not only having the leading female character be +HIV, but the fact she gained it from a highly unrealistic situation.

That is my opinion, and I am sticking to it. :D

Well I don't think that she's gonna be HIV positive, for all the reasons you've said guys :D but I really think that's our opinion 'cause we know the writers a lot, we come here everyday and share our opinions and read spoilers etc. but what if we just couldn't do that??? what if we just watched the show every week spoiler-free, and we wouldn't know anything about the actors, for example when they wanna leave the show etc. we'd be biting our nails!!!! :D

In that case I think we'd think :)lol: does this make sense? :lol:) that the there would be a posibility that she tested positive.

I'll give you an example: when Grissom was losing his hearing (?) I was scared, I really didn't know if he was gonna be ok or not, 'cause I watched seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 spoiler free, so I thought it was an interesting storyline and I really thought that there was a possibility that he'd be deaf :(, do you get my point??? (I hope so, 'cause I think I don't :lol:).

So I don't think it's a bad storyline 'cause some people really could think that she's gonna test positive.

Man I think that was off-topic :p. Well I really want she to be HIV negative, she's one of my favorite characters :(

So far I am enjoying the Stella storyline, it's quite riveting. But as you have all said, since she is the lead female there is a very high chance she will test negative...still, we never know. TPTB might throw a curveball and have her be positive. I do like the continued interaction between her and Mac. I think they are a great pair and have amazing chemistry. From what I've read about HIV/AIDS, her chances are slim. We shall wait and see what becomes of this.

They will not have Stella test positive. She is too important of a character for the show for them to be doing something that dramatic to her now. And besides, they haven't really played up the "what if it does happen?" angle, so we know that she isn't really that concerned about it.
But it does make for a rather interesting storyline though. And what better way to spread

Sorry, I didn't mean to send that yet!

Anyways... As I was saying,

What better way is there to spread the importance of HIV awareness then to broadcast it all over one of the most popular television shows?

What better way is there to spread the importance of HIV awareness then to broadcast it all over one of the most popular television shows?
Exactly :D It's great they're doing this. It makes us all aware of this terrible disease and the effect it has on the world today.

I do not see Stella to test positive. It's too bad though, because it'll be a beautiful storyline to carry through about what she wants to do with the rest of her life. But to be honest, I'm not that interested in this plot at all because the chances Stella testing positive are pretty low to me. I'm far more interested in Mac's storyline with his son and dealing with his wife's death--or the lack thereof of it anyway, than Stella's storyline.

I'm very happy that they are raising the HIV awareness though... but the storyline doesn't seem very stable to me at all.

As you said I don't think Stella's final test will come back positive..I really like the storyline because is something very serious and something that can happen to anyone.It's good that they show that so people will get as familiar as someone can from a TVshow!..You've already said ,and I agree that the possibilities of having HIV a member of the team and the show are close to zero..

If it turns that she'll be positive,which I am not sure I'll like and it'll happen,a lot of things will change..Personally,I don't want this to happen..Although,if she is negative after all that she may be more sensitive with this thing and she may try to support people living with HIV..

Back