Warrick & Nick - Las Vegas's New OTP?

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by midnight_tiptoes, May 20, 2005.

1. lament

lament Captain

Actually, what I meant was I don't worry about whether someone is gay or acts gay or whatever. I'm bi, but I don't know that I necessarily act bi. I don't even know what that means. I think love is love, and it doesn't need to be labeled. :)

To get on topic, though... forensicsgirl, I also wonder how the Nick/Warrick relationship will be affected by the events of GD. I see Warrick handling his guilt by trying to protect Nick. And yeah, I do think Nick will feel smothered. He's bound to be fragile after what happened, but at the same time, he'll feel a lot of pressure to shake it off and get better. If Warrick is overprotective, Nick will feel like his recovery is being hampered. That could cause some tempers (and passion) to boil over.

Their closeness is so fluid and natural that I think it could turn to romance...I don't want to use the word, "accidentally." But I could see them crossing an almost imperceptable line, you know?

I wonder how the guys would deal with that? We know that Nick is often wigged out by alternative lifestyles. He might have issues if he found himself drawn to Warrick physically. Or who knows? He might run with it!

2. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

it's like and invisible line, and it's very possible they're already treading both sides of it, in their hearts if not in their beds...

It's true that Nick does have a hard time getting his head around 'alternative lifestyles', but generally that was to do with 'kinkiness' from what i could see (things like the BDSM lifestyle in SoLV, or Infantilism in KB, etc) This relationship wouldn't be about kink. It'd be about something deep and real and natural - a friendship and a love and a passion for each other. And IMHO, I don't think Nicky would find anything unnatural or weird about that. Love is love, whatever name you put to it.

3. lament

lament Captain

On one hand, I agree with you. I don't think Nick would necessarily view a relationship with Warrick as "unnatural."

However, Nick does seem to be hesitant about things and situations he finds different or unfamiliar. Note his reactions to the dwarfs in ALM or the monk in FM. I wonder if he might not be a bit confused or disoriented if he were to develop (or already has developed) feelings for Warrick. I could see Nick needing an adjustment period to deal with his confusion.

Aw, they're being competitive...

4. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

You bring up a good point, and to be honest I'd forgotten the full extent of Nick's naivety in some areas of life. He strikes me as someone with surprisingly little life-experience, beyond his life at home with his folks and his life at the frat-house in college. I think, in many ways, Vegas was the best place for him to go, because there is just *so* much going on there, it is really broadening his horizons.

So, when Nick comes across a situation or a lifestyle or whatever that he's not familiar with, he seems to take a step back and regard it curiously - perhaps trying to make sense of it, or relate it to his own life, or to file it away in a folder marked 'experience'. But he seems, after a period of adjustment, to be ready to accept or embrace most things (expcept perhaps Infantilism, which to be honest, as kinky as I can be from time to time, is even WAY too Kinky for me - no offence to any of our posters who may dig on that particular lifestyle ;) ) To use your example, in ALM, he is thrown by the dwarfs, and unsure of how to act in that situation. But, in that scene where the dwarf in the wheelchair (the one who rises up to Nick’s height) faces off with him, you can see the moment where Nick *gets it*. He figures out what he didn’t quite understand before.

Where did my point go...? :confused: Oh yeah, so should something develop between Warrick and Nick, he may perhaps feel the need to take a step back and regard the situation with that curious gaze of his for a while. But, I think the bond these two share is strong enough to withstand the scrutiny.

5. lament

lament Captain

I often think that's Grissom's reason for taking Nick along on all the peculiar cases. He's trying to expose Nick to new things and help him see that there is life beyond what he was taught about as a boy.

One thing we haven't talked about: Who would make the first move? One thing I've noticed about a lot of the N/W fanfic is that the relationship is usually established. That or it's just PWP. There doesn't seem to be much fic that explores the beginnings of the relationship from an emotional perspective.

6. lament

lament Captain

Someone on the __nick_warrick LJ put up some new wallpaper: It's prettiful!!

7. IHeartEric

IHeartEric Coroner

Oh. I've seen Grave Danger...I can read most stories now! YAY!

*runs to the LJ and wallpaper*

ctx :D

8. Kristen9999

Kristen9999 CSI Level One

9. lament

lament Captain

Woo! I look forward to your story, [b[Kristen[/b]! I want to write a Nick/Warrick, but I think I might attempt a Nick/Gil fic first.

Yeah, I could see that. At first, Nick probably wouldn't interpret his feelings as romantic affection or physical attraction. It wouldn't occur to him. And if it did, he'd probably do some rationalizing to try and make sense of it within the context of his own life experience.

Again, I can see this. While Nick probably wouldn't (and couldn't) make the first move, he would trust Warrick to guide him through it. I wonder if he might not pull away from Rick after an initial encounter (so he could have some processing time), and when he's ready, decide to make the "second move," as it were.

IHeartEric, now that you've seen "Grave Danger," what do you think? Was that not deliciously slashy?

Oh, and Kristen, you should post the shirtless George and Gary picture. ;) ;)

10. IHeartEric

IHeartEric Coroner

Oh, it definitely was lament. I was hooked all the way through. When Warrick pulled that coin out of his pocket *bottom lip trembles*...my heart broke.

And I'm writing a post-ep fic whilst I'm on holiday next week, so you'll have a story to read when I get back.

ctx :D

11. Kristen9999

12. lament

lament Captain

IHeart: I loved the gentleness with which Warrick spoke to Nick after they found him. There was just something beautiful about that scene. I can't wait to see how the events of GD effect the Warrick/Nick relationship. Nick's confidence isn't the best, and if Rick takes to being overprotective, that might be a sore spot.

Kristen: I'm not sure what episode first set off the slash-o-meter. It might've been PNN. Another episode that showed the depth of their relationship, though, is "Ellie." Nick's support of Warrick during that episode was lovely. And the scene in the garage is hot. Yummy!!!!

13. Kristen9999

You know whats odd? The fact that Nick can be slashed with any other male on the show if done right. I've read so many great fic out there, supported by odd canon moments for Both Gil,Greg,and Warrick.

Not to be off topic, but I'd say that is very rare!

14. lament

lament Captain

I agree. I was actually thinking along those lines myself earlier. I was mentally going through the minor characters on the show, and you know what? I think he could be slashed with most of the detectives AND Hodges, in addition to Gil, Warrick, and Greg. He's very slashable!

Now, all of these pairings would have their own unique dynamic, and would manifest themselves in different ways. As you say, it would have to be done properly. But any of these pairings could be valid. I love that about Nick.

15. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

I <3 that pic, Kristen!!

--Robin