TV Flops

Calihan

Captain
I thought this could be in interesting thread. Let's talk about all the TV series that either flopped right off the bat or were so bad that they were good.

I once read about a show that was supposed to be about an average family who lived on Mars. In the show the father was a Soviet engineer and his wife was an American sstripper. Sadly I don't remember the name of the series.

So please continue with series you know of, that fall into those catigories.

The one that I think of right off the bat will have to Armed and Famous, not that it was bad, but they made a big mistake putting it on the same time slot as American Idol. To tell you the truth, Letoya Jackson scared the crap out of me.

I'm really sad that 3lbs got canceled.:(. I really liked it and thought it had potential. The characters/actors had great chemistry, and I actually learned things about the brain that I thought were really interesting and didn't know before :D. I heard that it was canceled because it was too much like House though....I've only seen a few episodes of house, so I wouldn't know.

Oh man, there have been so many over the years. My curse is that I always seem to like the shows that somehow get cancelled quickly.

Some of the ones I can think of at the moment are:
Mr & Mrs Smith with Maria Bello & Scott Bakula from 1996 - just before Maria hit it big with "ER" and "Payback". I think it lasted 8 or 9 episodes.
Macruder & Loud from 1985 with John Getz & Kathryn Harrold. They were two cops who were husband & wife, but had to keep their relationship a secret to everyone.
Double Trouble with Liz & Jean Sagal from 1984

TV.com has a listing of pretty much every show that's been on tv. TV.com list of all shows

I haven't had that big a history with shows I liked, but got canceled. The only show so far is LAX. I really have no idea why the ratings were so low, it was a great show! In a different timeslot it may have survived. I regret the fact that there are only 13 episodes of it. This year history seems to repeat itself. In the exact same timeslot we now have Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, which I love, but will probably get canceled (this time we'll have 22 episodes though).

Only ones so far I've been sad to see go are "Bette", "The Geena Davis Show" and "Commander In Chief".

A few more that I remembered -
Bless this house with Cathy Moriarty and Andrew Dice Clay. I was never a fan of Clay's obnoxious stand-up comedy, but I liked him in this show. I like Cathy's work. It was basically a new, updated version of the Honeymooners.

The boys are back from 1994 with Suzanne Pleshette, Hal Linden, George Newbern & Kevin Crowley about grown boys that have moved back in with their parents.

Can't hurry love with Nancy McKeon from 1995. It was nice to finally see Nancy back on tv in something that wasn't a Lifetime woman-in-peril movie.

I've got stacks of vhs tapes with old tv flops that I used to watch.

I heard last night that Studio 60 was canceled. I loved the show Invasion, the ending was great but of course we'll never find out how it ends.

RBC said:
The only show so far is LAX.
At least "LAX" lasted 13 episodes. A similar show, "San Francisco International Airport" from 1970 with Lloyd Bridges and Clu Gulager, only lasted 8 episodes.

Some that were not given a chance are "Search", "Jake 2.0", "John Doe", and the 1980's revival of "Mission: Impossible" (or as I call it M:I The Next Generation).

For fans of "Mr and Mrs Smith", a pilot is planned for a new series to start in the fall. Tentative stars are Martin Henderson and Jordana Brewster.

A show I think is terrible and should be cancelled- "The Real Housewives of Orange County." Really pathetic, they're all super-rich, super stupid (one didn't know how to make those cookies you just pop in the oven) and super annoying. :D
I was actually sad that 'Aquaman' didn't get picked up, it was decent (not great) but decent, considering it had to compete with it's original, Smallville.

Thanks for mentioning John Doe, Dyanamo. I'd forgotten that one. I was getting into it when it was cancelled.

The only two cancelled shows I really miss and Threshold and The Lone Gunmen. They were two of my favorite shows ever. And also Surface, although I don't think there could've been a better ending.

Another show that I wished wasn't cancelled, would have to be Savanah, which many of you know starred George Eads. I actually watched the show when it aired from March of 1996 to February of 1997. This was the first thing I saw George in and I'm still watching him to this day, 10 years later :D. The show was very popular at first, but after it was moved opposite Monday Night Football, it fell in the ratings and was cancelled.

But now that you look back on it, if it wasn't for the cancelling of this show, George Eads wouldn't have gotten the break that he got for CSI ;).

I still laugh, because I'm stupid, because his name was Travis Petersen! :lol: I know, I'm crazy!

Back