Torchwood

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Clarrisani, Jul 17, 2007.

1. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

Interesting that you guys say that. I will try and come back in pop in with some thoughts. Just saw the one with the fairies. And noticed Jack put his hand on Ianto after he woke up from a nightmare and asked him why he was still there. Ianto reponsed with the same question pointed towards him.
    Ok what is up with Gwen and Owen? It just seems weird. That they kissed in Cyberwoman.

2. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

IIRC, Jack said to Ianto "you shouldn't be here" and Ianto replied "Neither should you" (not that I memorized all the Jack/Ianto interactions, honest!)

There's a scene later on which seemed a little out of place. Ianto makes some comment about people who see faeries probably ate magic mushrooms, and Jack says something along the lines of "what you do in your own time is your own business". And given that they only found out last episode just exactly what Ianto was doing in his own time, I can't see Jack as being quite so noncholent about it. I think there was speculation when this aired in the UK that maybe it had been supposed to air before Cyberwoman. But then the 'you shouldn't be here' line wouldn't make as much sense.

Ah well, Countrycide is next - well worth watching IMO.

3. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

Oh yeah. Countrycide is indeed worth watching.

I have some good news on season 2. Apparently Ianto is going to be used more than he did in season one. I honestly don't think they thought he would be as popular as he has turned out to be. Not to mention Gareth David-Lloyd was just voted #15 in Wales' Hottest Men. If it were me, I'd have him at #1.

I think season one was all about exploring different things and seeing what worked, and I believe "Countrycide" worked. So, what did you think? I believe it has aired there now. Like? Not like? Still hiding under a blanket in the corner wondering if it's safe to come out and swearing you'll never open the door to a stranger ever again?

4. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Well they could hardly utilize him less!
    There was a livejournal post where somebody had worked out the exact amount of screen time that each character got, and Ianto was by far the least used.

As for Countrycide, it totally rocked! Can't remember if I said it here or not, but it was the ep which really got me hooked on TW, and it's all Ianto's fault!
    I'm a sucker for characters who are clearly scared out of their wits, but still step up to the plate and do what needs to be done. You could see that Ianto was out of his depth, out of his comfort zone, totally petrified, but still brave enough to put himself in harms way to save Tosh. Poor guy, he totally needs a hug after that.

5. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

I'd more than happily go and give him a hug. My hat goes off to Gareth David-Lloyd for his acting in that episode, because it was totally believable that Ianto was terrified yet still stubbornly brave when it came to saving Tosh. Plus, that whole scene where he questions her about being "used to this" just says so much about his character.

In all honesty, I was waiting for Ianto to start screaming, but he never did. And the fact Jack wasn't the centre point of the episode was good too, though I did like the torture comment. Not sure about Gwen in "Countrycide" though. Or Owen, for that matter. Don't think much of either of those two.

I did like the "last snog" contest though. Yet another scene that led to must-hug-Iantoness. :p

6. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Well he was sort of screaming or trying to just before Jack burst in at the end, but when you're tied and gagged and have a meat cleaver to your neck and about to be served as an entree, I think a little screaming and crying is acceptable <g>

Oh yeah!
    But I soooo hated Gwen for that convo. For starters, anyone with half a brain would think that maybe talking about last snogs might be a bit tactless, when there's a guy whose girlfriend recently died in the group.
    Then there was her patronizing "It's complicated" to Tosh after Owen reveals he snogged Gwen.
    Now on the first watching of that scene, I thought that maybe Gwen had copped on a bit and didn't want to say "Oh yes, Owen snogged me while we were hiding from Ianto's killer girlfriend". But no, it was her own embarrasment she was trying to avoid because it wasn't until Ianto mentioned Lisa that Gwen even remembered her. Grrrr.

7. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

Which, of course, led to Ianto's "You forgot". I got so ticked off with Gwen for that too, thinking she could just apologise and let it go. I did like Jack's reaction in that scene though. He looked so ticked off at Gwen, and then that silent exchange between Jack and Ianto. To me it was almost a 'I remember, and I'm here' and the reply 'I know, just not right now'. But that could just be me.

And you're right about the bound, gagged with a meat cleaver to your throat thing. Ianto was kind of screaming. It's little wonder he thinks they're all mad for enjoying the work out in the field. But then, seems that's the way he's heading himself - more field work.

It's almost like Ianto lost his 'virginity' in "Countrycide", much like Greg Sanders lost his in season 5s "Down the Drain".

8. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

Well, you've had "They Keep Killing Suzie" now. Some people argue that is the best episode of the season (I don't). What did you think?

9. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Well they definitely gave Ianto a bit more to do this ep than just making tea!
    I loved the way Detective Swanson had Jack repeat himself about being locked in so all her colleagues could hear.
    Loved Ianto's little look at Jack when he was naming the Risen Mitten.
    Hated the way that everybody even people back from the dead seem to worship Gwen bloody Cooper. I mean, Suzie came up with this whole convoluted contingency plan in the even that she was captured/killed/retconned by Torchwood, and she still thinks Gwen is smarter than her? Ugh.

Ah well, there was always the stopwatch scene at the end, heeheee! Possibly the first time we've heard Ianto call him Jack rather than Sir. Who knows what fun can be had with a stopwatch and the button on top <vbeg>
    And then a nice little hint for the future "gloves come in pairs", creepy!

I'm not sure i'd class it as the best of the season, but it's definitely in my top 3. (I'd also include Countrycide and ep 12 as well)

10. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

I'm actually not that big a fan of ep 12. I like the ongoing and building up battle (almost rivalry) between two of the characters, but not the other bit. We'll discuss it when the US gets to it, I guess.

I love the Stopwatch scene. That, and the cheeky look Ianto gives Jack after the "button on top" comment. I swear, Ianto has some of the best lines of the season. And honestly, anyone who doesn't get what Jack and Ianto were alluding to in that final scene are a tad slow off the mark.

And I agree about Gwen. They keep making her out to be this great, naturally gifted character. If anyone is naturally gifted in this show it's Toshiko. And the most underestimated is definitely Ianto, as we see as the season goes on. And Suzie was brilliant. She is far better than, as she put it, Gwen Bloody Cooper.

Gwen bugs me. Really, she does. To me, she does redeem herself a tad in ep 12 given whose orders she follows, but still.

11. Rena_Sanders

Rena_Sanders Victim

Can't resist posting this :p

Stopwatch

And yes, Gwen bugs me too. From the beginning already actually. (Though Eve Myles was great in Doctor Who's "The Unquiet Dead" episode)

12. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

Rena_Sanders, your banner is a little larger than it's supposed to. The maximum allowed size in height is 75 pixels. Please resize it. Thanks.

13. shady

shady Hit and Run

love jack, thats the only reason I watch the show, it'd just be nothing without him! I really don't like Gwen.

14. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

How does everyone feel about the characters? For me:

Jack:
    Love him, although I do prefer him on Doctor Who. On Torchwood he is more serious, darker, and colder. He has less wit, and flirts less. I still love his character, though. He has many of the best lines, is gorgeous, and knows a way out of every situation. Plus, I love how he like a father to the rest of the team... well, save one, anyway.

Gwen:
    Not a fan. I don't know what it is about her, really. It could be they focus too much on her, it could be I hate people who cheat on their partners, it could be she just whines too much. Anyway, I think there is some potential in her character, but it didn't show this season.

Owen:
    Right down there with Gwen. I can't explain all my reasons yet as those episodes haven't aired yet in the US, but things happen that lower my opinion of him. I think he is too much of a cocky bastard as well. Not to mention where Jack can come onto someone and still be cute, Owen just comes across as a sleaze. He has his moments like Gwen, but for the most part he bugs me.

Toshiko:
    I like Tosh. I liked her in Doctor Who (yes, she was in season one), and I like her now. She is the quiet achiever, really. A little bit too much of a geek, but she never does anything really stupid. Well, there was Mary. Made for a good episode, that. She certainly has the brains, but there are still enough flaws and vulnerability in her character to make her interesting. She's more interested in the team and learning than her own self gain, which is great. Yeap, like Tosh.

Ianto:
    Favourite character! At first I barely noticed him, but as the series went on I began to like him more and more. I felt sorry for him about Lisa, and I loved his hidden strength in "Countrycide". By "They Keep Killing Suzie" he had become a favourite, despite still being a background character. He has more great lines than Jack, and the fact he is always open to partake in flirty banter with Jack also scores him points. He is like Tosh in being a quiet achiever, and the fact he remains so poised when everything goes to hell makes him great in my eyes. Oh, and he does something in the second last episode of the season that just screams "win!" to me. Yeap, definitely a favourite, is dear Mr Jones.

Well, that's my breakdown. How about everyone else?

15. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

Just giving this thread a boost back into viewable.