This "Spoiler Lab" Is *CLOSED For Good*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Re: Season 9 *Spoiler Lab* Discussions

While it will be a breath of fresh hair to have a newbie on the team, as long as she doesn't hog up the screen time (whatever is left after 45 per cent of it is given to the stars) and take anything away from Greg or Nick.

Although I'll take the newbie and the stars over the psuedo/daughter waitress girlfriend.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Why do people keep saying that bring Sara back and GSR raises ratings?? I know tptb seem to think it's a good storyline, and of course there is a large groups of fan for it here, but this is a CSI message board, so that's to be expected.

I wonder what the majority of "stay at home in the evening and watch crime shows" fans think. I know I hate it and I think once you're gone you should stay gone and the show should move on. And I honestly don't think the majority of these people care one way or the other about Sara coming back.

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I think there's a big split down the middle on the GSR. Many CSI fans are fanatical about it; some fans hate it and others are neutral on it and others like me, couldn't care less. But there's enough GSR fans who seem to have a death grip on the ear of the TPTB to make sure that the story is told-god forbid we have an episode without any mention of it. Their liable to take up arms and hold CBS hostage.

Secondly, TPTB felt pressured to bring GSR to the forefront once Grey's Anatomy became their Thursday night 9:00 rival. It was hard to put a dry, science show up against a show that focussed very intensely on human relationships. Both shows are quite good actually, but I hate to admit that the writing on Grey's is absolutely stellar and resonates very deeply with people because of the focus on human drama. CSI has some of that, but their hard core on stance on being a science-centric show and it's badly, badly imbalance of character story lines (great arcs for some-Sara, Grissom and Catherine, none for others-Warrick until his death-yeah nice arc-NOT). Human vs. Science, human usually wins, a lot of people like a good romance show.

So they bring in GSR to try and fight off the big chunk Grey's took from their ratings (in the 18-49 category) CSI did hold its own though, but I don't think it's because of GSR, I think it's because they had a reasonably good storyline last season, even though I didn't care for it.

Plus, ratings in general have not yet recovered, from what I have read, have not recovered from the strike. I knew this would happen because that's what happened with baseball in the nineties for a while, they had a strike and fans just got ticked off and went elsewhere for a while. I don't know if baseball ever recovered or not. A few of my friends just focussed on minor league games and local games because they were so ticked off at these athletes making millions and still going on strike.

So TPTB are scrambling with a lot of chickens with their heads cuts off. They had an actor leave, another arrested and so they are strugging to figure out how to keep the show going for another season or two.

I could think of a couple of good ways to keep the show going, but I'm just a minor fan and not a GSR fan, so my voice doesn't count. It's like being the steerage passengers on the Titanic of CSI, with the GSRs in the first class. The steerage passengers were the first to go when the ship sank. I'm being testy-I know, sorry Destiny.

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Smokey and MyfutureCSI I agree!

For the GSR and Sara fans, I'm happy that you will be able to see her again, but unless she's going to stay how is that going to fit in with GSR. If GSR never happened and Sara came back for the funeral, that would make sense. Now what, she's going to come back, see Grissom, and then leave again? That's why I thought maybe she'd be at the funeral but stand in the shadows.

I really don't have a problem with Sara guess starring on the episode it's the whole GSR thing that we are going to have to deal with again and again. And unfortunately when the show runner is a big fan of GSR, it's not going to go away.

Now as for the new characters a little breath of fresh air is good for any show, but their screen time better be minimal. Being a Nick fan I'm glad that he is getting more screen time and he needs even more. I really was looking forward to them showing the stress it's taking on him to becoming more of a leader and I hope they haven't abandoned that idea. However, they need to abandon the waitress story.

And Greg definitely deserves more screen time and some more story arcs, as well. I hope we hear more about this book. Hey maybe they'll publish it and we can buy it at our local bookstores. That would be great wouldn't it? To buy a book by Greg Sanders. People (who don't watch the show) would pick up and be thinking: Hmmmm, must be a new author. :guffaw:

I like the balance they have between the science and the personal lives of the characters, but mentioning one relationship in practically every episode is enough, including all the around about ways they do it. Showing their personal lives every once in a while, like they use to, is enough. I know a lot of people hate the personal stuff, but without you can't get invested in the characters or the show.

In any case, I think we can ALL agree that it is going to be a long summer.

Ok Destiny, I hope I was behaving myself.

5. Smokey

Oh Speedy! You were amazingly well-behaved! For once! :lol:

I just watched "Law of Gravity", and Keppler dying really made me think about what's going to happen next season with Warrick and all. It was really sad, and we only knew him for 4 episodes! :(

I understand about the romance and the ratings, but do ALL shows have to be like that? Do they have to make copycats of everything that's successful? I mean, I like the show without it, and I'm not even close to being the age of say, "Matlock"'s audience or "Murder She Wrote". Being a smart and entertaining show without the romatic element is one of the things that made it unique once upon a time.

6. GSRLUVER

GSRLUVER Lab Technician

Woah, I'm clicked on this thread hoping to read spoilers and instead I feel I'm getting beaten up! :lol:

You guys are totally in the right to not like GSR, but remember that GSR has always been a part of the show. Jorja has said in many interviews that when she tried out for the role, she got a piece of paper saying she was going to be Grissom's love interest. From the beginning, TPTB noticed how fans were intrigued with the relationship, so they drew it out over many seasons. Yes, Grey's I think did have something to do with them bringing GSR to the forefront, but the writers have all said that they were going to bring GSR into the light eventually.

Finally, every "major" GSR scene has been less than two minutes. We all found out that Grissom and Sara were together in season six, so basically they've been "canon" for only one and a half seaons. In the entire eight seasons of CSI, we've seen one kiss, two hand holds, and zero hugs between them. There haven't been any "romantic" scenes either.

I believe that everyone, including tv characters :lol:, should have the right to some happiness. I feel GSR has helped CSI to show a little light in the show since it's main themes are so dark. Human relationships are a big part of life and tv shows always like to try and show the real deal, so you'll be hard pressed to find any show that doesn't have some romantic undertone.

I'm sorry I've gotten all up in arms, I just don't like being told that people like me have a death grip on the TPTB. I like to feel that I'm a pretty reasonable fan, and I do know that some aren't, but most of us would not storm CBS and yell at the writers if GSR went away. I just feel that it's better for the writers to conclude a storyline rather than have it disappear, which is why I'm glad Jorja is returning.

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

In total agreement GSRLUVER good comments, I always wonder if one of the other characters on this great show left, for whatever reason, and then they announced they were coming back wouldn't their hugh fan base be thrilled, I don't care why or how someone changes their mind, I just like that they did, and on the one ep. for Sara/Jorja, it a stated they "she inked a deal" does that sound like one episode? I like the whole team, regardless of what they decide to do and what's happening next:thumbsup: It'll be great to see them all together again!

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I guess I am one of the viewers that likes to go with the flow. I like some character development, good acting, and good storytelling. If I can get all those I am a happy fan. I like the way they have developed GSR and the way it has been portrayed by the actors. It certainly doesn't take over the show, only the message boards.

I'm all for the other characters having a personal life too. All you have to do is tune in other shows to see how well CSI balances science, crime and character development. They are not going to please everyone all the time, but since they are still the #1 drama, I think they please most people most of the time.

I am happy Sara is coming back to continue her and Grissom's story. All interviews since she left have indicated this was planned, so I don't know why people would be surprised; my guess is that it has been planned for years, but the timing has been tweeked to allow her to exit the show and give her the break she wanted. And WP may not be far behind. But hopefully they can both appear in future episodes if they wanted to. It would be nice for all the actors to get some flexibility with their schedules to allow them to do other things if they like. Then return to the show full or part time so we can see them again.

I am looking forward to season 9. Sara's coming back in some capacity, Warrick may survive, and a new girl is being hired. Several storylines aborted with the writers strike will be started, and I really want more Greg; please give him a girlfriend before you hook Hodges up!

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  9. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I totally agree here. Almost as soon as Jorja left there was things mentioned about her returning, for however long at whatever time, so now it's been confirmed for season 9 it's not that shocking (unless how soon she's returned is a bit of a shock)

As for GSR in season 9, I'm not a GSR shipper, but throught season 7 it has grown on me, and is obviously a part of the show, so I'm really interested to see how Jorja's return (however long) will affect GSR during season 9, but equally I'm interested to see how it'll affect everyone else, or if we'll see reactions, how well it's all managed etc.

I totally agree with you here as well, I love 'the team' (although I presume Warrick won't be part of the team for much longer into the first ep of season 9 from what we're reading so far :( ) Where was it said that Jorja has inked a deal, that's fantastic news because as you say, inking a deal doesn't sound like one episode.

Also, I think this new character will be interesting. Of course depending on how long/ which episodes Jorja is around for, if the character is a replacement, it'll be interesting to see how that works. Also, Billy Petersen won't be in as many episodes next season I presume because of his other commitments, so maybe the new character will fill in some space left by Billy when he's not around (kind of like Keppler but not). Unless they got rid of the idea to replace Warrick when they thought Jorja might be back, and the new character is really his replacement instead?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  10. Smokey

It's not so much her coming back, it's that she's only been gone for 10 episodes and there seems to be a lot of gushing about it in the spoiler thread. I mean, yeah, we would be gushing if it was Nick, but we'd keep it in the Ward so as not to disgust anyone else. ;) We're pretty disgusting that way, but you know that if you dare to go in there.

Some have wondered if Wendy will still get to go into the field since they've hired a new female CSI. Why not? They used to have 4 guys and 2 girls on the team, so why not 3 guys and 3 girls now?

11. Amanda_Ruth

Amanda_Ruth Witness

I know I'm a bit late in this discussion, but GSRLUVER is right. We all have the right to our opinions. I, myself, am a die hard fan of Grissom and Sara being together, and have been since the fourth episode I saw (I'm not ashamed to admit that I started out Grillows).

I think that GSR was done very well until they actually revealed their relationship. It was a short little scene telling us that they've been together for an unknown amount of time, and I think TPTB jumped the shark a bit with it. Despite the fact that they had six entire seasons of one-step-forward-two-steps-back with the two of them, they took a bounding leap into the relationship, without a satisfactory amount of sufficient lead-up. The only real episode we got with that in season 6, in my opinion, was Time Of Your Death.

However, I wasn't complaining that they were finally together. And Jorja Fox leaving was a real blow to me, because I absolutely adored Sara Sidle and the fully blossomed relationship between her and Grissom that was desperately needed for both. I understand that it was Jorja's decision, because she wanted to do other things. Her Dusty Springfield tribute, I heard, was incredible, and I'm actually kind of ticked that it was in California. I wish I had been able to see it. I also heard that she wants children, and God bless her for that. Her decision to return is very much welcomed, and I can't wait to see why she comes back. Season 9, however, is not on my top priority list for premieres that I'll be watching... so they have to hype it big time. After what they did to Warrick, they're going to have to do some major convincing to get me back on their sides.

TPTB have really screwed up... But then again, so did Gary Dourdan. I don't know what to think. But GSR is my main focus at this point, so let's hope that they give us something good.

12. GSRLUVER

GSRLUVER Lab Technician

I agree Smokey. I think it would be awesome to have 3 and 3. I think it would help the transition of the new character into the show since Wendy would be a new CSI and Bryce would be new to the department. I could see them putting Wendy and this new girl together a lot.

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This is the article about her and her "deal":thumbsup:also included the % of fans on this site, who want her back vs the ones who don't!

JORJA

14. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I think it'd be quite interesting to have 3 and 3, or whatever, depending of course on Jorja... It'd be a new dynamic to the team, well the beginning of a 'new' team, which although many people really don't want, would happen in 'real life'. And Wendy already being on the show kind of helps too. I actually think giving the new girl small parts and winding her in that way would be beneficial as we'd get to know her without her taking up to much screen time orginally that we want 'our' characters to be seen in. But I guess if she's signed up as a regular that won't happen.

And thanks for that link desertwind, that does sound promising :)

15. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I read the article and the *Inked deal* is only for the season premiere, not the whole season, but I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

And Smokey I agree, 3 females on the team would be good.

I think Warrick is going to die, but a little part of me is hoping that he doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.