The Screentime Tallyboard

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Mar 24, 2009.

1. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I'm enjoying Jesse is all I have to say. I'm not seeing what the big deal is with the screentime, so they paired him with Calleigh 8 times, it's not like they were 10 minutes scenes each or anything like that. Besides, he's the new main guy, so I'm not shocked that they are giving him scenes to flesh out his character, I've seen this done on many other shows too.

Just because someone appeared more times on one episode doesn't mean they are hogging all the screentime.

*sighs* I guess people can never be satisfied.....

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

When a new character is being seen more in the past 6 episodes, even more than the lead male at times - yes - it is too much, too soon (Vegas/Ray Langston anyone?). I don't have any major problem with the character or actor (though I can do without the 'he's perfect' vibe), but I can't say I enjoy how tptb are incorporating/forcing him into the show at this point.

3. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Well, I have to say, at least most of Jesse's scenes are with other people. Ray Langston on the other hand pretty much had the Ray Hour show over there in Vegas for a whole season.

I can understand people's frustration at Jesse's screetime, but really, Miami still has a much better balance to what Vegas did with Langston. I don't think I've even seen other characters on Vegas since Langston arrived on the scene, but at least on Miami, I see Jesse with Horatio, or Calleigh, or laughing his head off with Walter and Ryan.

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Aside from the massive pairing-up in last night's episode, I agree they're doing fine with his interaction among the team. That subject was also a touchy one which is why it became part of this thread -- it's just no fun to see the same people in every other scene together -- it adds boredom, imho.

I do think tptb have gotten much better with the interaction -- I've noticed H is interacting at least once with almost everyone on his team, which imo, is always good to see cause it adds to the leadership/team vibe -- others they could work on though.
    I'd love to see a little more thrown in with Natalia interacting with more of her co-workers; & Frank could use more time with Nat or Calleigh -- those are always fun. As strange as it may sound, IMO, mixed character interaction is sometimes key to showing the personalities of individual characters, so when it's done correctly, it makes the episode more enjoyable for me.....and it also helps balance the screentime.

5. slower

slower Lab Technician

Alright, I do respect the fact you are a Jesse fan. :) The big deal for me is I am a Ryan fan. Ryan who has been there since season 3, Ryan who has been through the wringer, Ryan who should not take a backseat to another newbie. Oh, according to the writers Jesse was there first. :rolleyes:

As for the scenes with Calleigh, I want to see her back working with her old team members, not just Jesse.

Yes Jesse is hogging screentime and it is not just one episode, check out all six. I don't mind him so much, but not this much. This is what is turning me off to this character.

More Ryan please, this is poor use of a very talented actor. :scream:

6. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I guess I'm just not seeing him hogging all the screentime, if anything to me, Miami has gotten much better with screentime since Jesse has joined. I've seen all 6 eps and I have to say the show is becoming more balanced than it has ever been in years.

Or maybe I'm just used to seeing new characters appearing alot in episodes when they first get introduced, it happens on alot of the other primetime and daytime shows, so I guess I'm just not shocked or annoyed seeing it......it's just a part of new character introduction for me.....:)

But I do agree with ya on one thing, I certainly wouldn't mind having more Ryan! Gotta love Ryan and his cuteness! Maybe we can have more Jesse/Walter/Ryan scenes so that Ryan appears more! The Musketeers seems to work very well with each other! Maybe we should just have the Die-Hard/Nightshift/Shorty show! I certainly wouldn't complain!:lol: That way, you get your Ryan screentime, and I get my Jesse screentime.....sounds like a good deal to me...eh?

7. slower

slower Lab Technician

Thank you!!!! Sound sgood to me too.

8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I like this idea too.
    I really am enjoying the improved screentime, it could still use some work,but I appreciate the obvious effort.
    Also happy about the improved interactions of the team .The same team members appearing week after week to the exclusion of others was one of my biggest complaints.

9. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I thought the screen time in "Dude.... was as balanced as I've seen it this year. I as well get frustrated with Ryan's lack of screen time but I know that everyone wants to see a lot of their favorite as well. Hopefully, we will see many different combinations of the CSIs (Ryan-Nat, Jesse-Nat, Cal-Ryan, etc).

New characters do have a tendency to have their screen time elevated at the beginning, but it can be frustrating to sit though when one feels their favorite is being slighted. I rather like Jesse, more so in this episode (my problems with him were probably more of a reaction to the head-scratching tinkering they were doing to my favorite Ryan's character than anything). I will like Jesse for no other reason because of his positive interactions with Ryan; not ripping his head off and waiting for him to screw up for more head ripping, and by making him feel as if he belongs. I can handle more of the Die-Hard/Nightshift/Shorty for sure.:)

And yes, more Ryan and his cuteness, I'll agree with that.

I agree that tptb are making an attempt to even out the screen time. Hopefully, it won't stop now.

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I enjoy Jesse - a lot. I think he's a wonderful addition to the team and interacts in a postive way with everyone. I like him if for no other reason then he treats Ryan with some freaking respect! (Actually, he treats everyone with respect! :thumbsup:)

I do think they need to be very careful, however. They may be over doing it just a little with Jesse and I really don't want to see a negative backlash. You risk alienation of fans who see their favorite character paying the price in being moved to the background, or in this case three characters remaining in the background, to promote the new characters. And the Jesse character may pay the price unnecessarily as fans target him as the problem, rather than TPTB, and begin to resent the character.

I understand the need to introduce the new characters and I think they are doing it very well by having Jesse and Walter work with the entire team. (I do have to say that Jesse teamed up with Calleigh all the time is a less than desirable development for me. Calleigh is my least favorite character and I'd be doing a happy dance to see her leave with Eric.)

I do believe that a part of the problem is there are a number of us who have been waiting, not so patiently, for several years now for Natalia, Ryan, Frank and Rick to get some respect. And we are still waiting (with it now beginning to appear more and more that Horatio is joining their ranks as a supporting player).

Everyone is going to see this season's developments from the perspective of their favorites. It's just human nature. My perspective is - I don't care for Calleigh anymore. If I'm forced to pick my favorites, they're probably Horatio, Ryan and Natalia (but, with the exception of Calleigh, I really do like everyone on the team - even the new guys).

So, for me, there is way too much Calleigh going on and no where near enough Natalia. And, yes. That bothers me. I miss Natalia and the special warmth and humanity she brings. Horatio appears to be fading into the background. That bothers me because he is a major reason I watch the show.

OTOH, we ARE seeing more team interaction and, IMO, better stories. I'm willing to be patient. Just don't let Horatio fade too far into the background, and please work toward resolving whatever the problem is with Natalia's lack of appearance - whatever that may be.

And if they want to have Calleigh and Eric get married and ride off into the sunset together - go for it! :thumbsup: I truly believe the show would survive. ;)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  11. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I have not seen Mondays episode yet...well I have seen parts of it. It was on my tv but i wasnt able to concentrate on it! I am also a huge Ryan fan. There is alot of Jesse but I have to agree with others that they are doing a MUCH better job with his screen time then LV has done with Ray. I don't feel this is the Jesse show. I also honestly feel like we are seeing more of Ryan then we have in the past. Maybe I am wrong though.....

12. nicksarafan2

nicksarafan2 Pathologist

Well I too like the Ryan/Walter/Jessie scenes, but I lean more toward Ryan and Walter, and then mostly Ryan :)

so far, since my Eric isn't in these last few episodes, Ryan has made me happy, his scenes are the best, and I think they give him the best lines, he's a funny guy, he needs more lightness in his world, and so far I have seen a lot of that.

i'm not a Jessie fan, I'm happy others noticed how there trying to make him all perfect and whatever, but I also don't mind others liking him, if you like him I'm happy for you :)

i'm sure the show will last, as long as Ryan's there, and H is there, we should be good, and as long as Ryan is there, I'll tune in every week just to see him :)

but I'm hoping for an episode where Ryan is the main man, and we moslty see him... and he isn't getting beat up!

13. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

It's about time for Ryan isn't it? Jesse is quite respectful and that is a good reason to like him.

It is my concern as well. I enjoyed Jesse quite a bit in this episode, but Ryan is and will remain my favorite and I have been waiting to see his screen time increase and the quality of his stories improve as well. I was worried at the beginning, if this was all the screen time Ryan was going to get this season, I was going to be upset. I wanted to see a building on the development Ryan showed at the end of last season. Why they seem to be messing with him the way they are I don't know. But "Dude.." was an vast improvement in both screen time for all and having Ryan back to being Ryan. I do want to see the team split up and have everyone work with everyone else.

I think that is why Natalia is my second favorite; she is kind person who tries to see the good, especially in those she works with (she has cut Ryan a lot of slack over the years). And she is good csi!! There are several episodes where this is made clear.:)

Ryan is the main reason I tune in as well. One good thing about this season is how happier his character has been. It made me happy to see him laugh out loud and joke around more. It is as if he is finally comfortable in his surroundings. And yes, I could go without him being beaten up again.

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

'Bone Voyage' 8.7

Horatio: 16
    Interaction:
    Calleigh - 2
    Frank - 2
    Natalia - 1
    Ray/Walter - 1
    Ray/Tom -1

Calleigh: 9
    Interaction:
    Horatio - 2
    Jesse - 1
    Frank- 1
    Dave -1
    Tom -1
    Travers -1
    Ray/Dave - 1

Ryan: 7
    Interaction:
    Natalia - 3
    Natalia/Walter -1
    Walter -2
    Walter/Jesse -1

Natalia: 11
    Interaction:
    Horatio -1
    Ryan- 3
    Ryan/Walter- 1
    Dave -1

Jesse: 4
    Interaction:
    Calleigh - 1
    Ryan/Walter -1
    Tom -1

Walter: 6
    Interaction:
    Ryan/Natalia- 1
    H/Ray - 1
    Ryan -1
    Ryan/Jesse -1

Frank: 3
    Interaction:
    H- 2
    Calleigh-1

15. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It was great to see that much Natalia last night,I enjoyed it a lot.