"The Road I'm On" Miami fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by HoratioAndMe, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

Re: Horatio & Yelina fic

Supremely magical. I just wish that would really happen on the show. :)

2. CHILI_PEPPERS

CHILI_PEPPERS Pathologist

brilliant!!! im loving this so much

3. GillianSGrissom

GillianSGrissom Witness

YES! MAKE BLOODY RAYMOND GO WAY! Love the way you write the whole family and Ray is a stupid word i can't say because of the pg-13-o-meter

4. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

You're my sunshine after the rain
    You're the cure against my fear and my pain
    'Cause I'm losing my mind
    When you're not around
    It's all,It's all,It's all
    because of you

~98 Degrees

Horatio didn’t know what to say to Yelina to express his thoughts on the news. The news that, before Raymond had supposedly been killed in Brazil, the two had been planning a divorce. There were just too many thoughts to state and he didn’t know where to start.

“I should’ve told you earlier,” Yelina sniffled. “It’s just…everything has been so crazy and…”

Horatio tightened his grip on her hand and leaned further over in his chair. He wanted to comfort her; anyway, he could, and show how much he understood. Indeed the last couple of days had been swept up in craze and confusion. Still he had sensed there had been something she wanted to tell him and was proud now that she had managed to tell. To confide in him like he wanted her to.

“Yelina,” he spoke softly. “It’s okay. All right? I’m here for you.”

She sighed and stared at him silently for a moment. He didn’t have to reassure her of this. She knew that he was there. He’d always been. Yet the way he whispered this sincere promise mad her heart glow.

“I know,” she smiled slowly, tears spilling down her cheeks.

They were grateful tears. Tears that she had held back for so long it was a relief to let them spill now. He knows this and his eyes beam with warmth. Indeed, he had done so much for her but Yelina had done an equivocal amount for him. His sunshine that erased all the clouds.

“When this is all over...”Horatio started.

His sentence was interrupted by his cell phone ringing. He considered finishing the sentence before answering it but decided against it. Now wasn’t the time.

“Horatio, bad news,” said Frank.

Horatio frowned and continued to look at Yelina. She wiped her tear stained face and watched him, wondering what the call concerned.

“What Frank?” Horatio asked.

Frank sighed on the other end as if he were annoyed.

“That slime Stetler. We tried holding him but he got some damn hotshot lawyer. He made bail half an hour ago.” Frank explained.

5. CHILI_PEPPERS

ohhh!!i hate stetler!!omg he gets on my nerves lol!!love this cant wait for the next chapter!!

6. GillianSGrissom

GillianSGrissom Witness

BAD STETLER!!! Hit him with H's Hummer!!! *laughs maniacly for a long moment* Uh, sorry about that. Can't wait for the next update!

7. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

Grr, that Stetler! :mad: I wonder what H was going to say before he was interrupted. Very magical stuff, Sher!

8. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

If I could take this moment forever
    Turn the pages of my mind
    To another place and time
    We would never say goodbye...

~Hayley Westenra

Yelina stands in the kitchen of her house, rummaging through tools in the kitchen drawer, while the muffled sounds of Ray’s party continued in the backyard. She had come inside a moment ago to get her Uncle a screwdriver to fix the swing set with—also using it as an excuse to escape her Ma’s criticism of Raymond.

“I want to know and I want to know now,” she hears from the living room.

Straightening herself up to full height, she takes a step closer towards his voice. Had that been Horatio? At first, she thinks that maybe he is talking on his cell phone—having stepped inside for privacy—until she hears the reply.

“Horatio, what are you trying to prove here?” Raymond asks.

Yelina takes another thoughtful step towards the doorway. Normally she would have gone into the room to find out what it was they were talking about so intensely. However, the tones of their voices are alarming and she hesitates to join them.

“I need to know if you were buying drugs from here, Raymond? A journalist was killed and right now you’re a suspect.” Horatio spoke.

Yelina withholds a gasp. It wasn’t possible that Raymond was taking! Was it? What has frozen her to the spot, where she stands, is the fact that she didn’t know for sure. Maybe somewhere in the back of her mind she had suspected it—perhaps even knew it. It hurt that she thought such of her own husband.

“Suspect? I didn’t kill anyone,” Raymond says coming immediately to his own defense.

Horatio is silent another long moment.

“Were you buying?” he repeats.

Yelina swallows hard as she anticipates her husbands reply. She stands there, clutching the screwdriver in her hand so hard that her knuckles ache, with unobserved tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Yes,” Raymond exhales.

Yelina closes her eyes slowly. Despite the fact that she had partially expected that answer, it still hurt. It always hurt. Not just she, or Raymond, but it affected all of their lives when he made his mistakes.

“But I swear that I haven’t bought anything since the night I got back. I needed it. I came back here, I sat out there on that porch, and…why are you looking at me like that? You don’t think I killed that guy, do you?” Raymond frowns.

Horatio had been staring sadly at him. Raymond had interpreted it as a look of pity. Indeed it had been. However, not for that reason he thought. Horatio felt grief for the fact that his brother had subjected himself to such deplorable things. In addition, he was bringing more misery to his wife and child.

“I don’t know,” Horatio sighs slowly. “I thought I knew you. Do you realize what you could’ve done to yourself and to your family?”

Raymond swallows and looks away.

“I’m trying to fix all that now. Listen, I’ll do whatever you need me to do to get these people. But please, don’t tell Yelina about this. I’ve hurt her enough and I just want to make things right,” Raymond speaks quietly.

Horatio cannot say anything. He doesn’t know if he can promise that. There was already one Caine brother keeping things from her. He sighs and walks towards the door that leads to the backyard.

“We’ll stay until the boy has had his party,” he speaks thoughtfully. “Then you’re coming with me.”

9. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

You are the master at writing these two. Yelina listening to them from the kitchen--brilliant!

10. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

Horatio entered the Crime Lab. He had left Yelina’s side only thirty minutes earlier. Even if he had to leave her to do his work, at least he could be grateful that the hospital wasn’t far from where he had to go.

The entire time there, he had thought about what Yelina said. Her wanting to get a divorce from Raymond and yet still wanting to help him. He found that admirable.

”Hey, H. I was just fixing to call you,” Eric said, as Horatio steps out of the elevator.

Horatio nodded and looked up and down the hallway. The place had improved since last he had been there. Most of the broken glass from the shooting was gone and people were working on getting new glass panels put in—this time bulletproof.

“What about?” Horatio questioned.

Eric followed his gaze for a moment before looking down at papers in his hands. He himself had spent a huge amount of his time helping with the cleanup and repair. The rest of his time had been spent trying to find out who is the gunmen’s boss. So far, nothing had surfaced that was ground breaking.

“Um, Rebecca Nevins wants to speak to you. She says it’s linked to the case. She’s just down the hall,” Eric began. “At least she’s willing to talk, right?”

Horatio nodded and looked back to him.

“How are you holding up?” he asked.

Eric felt a little disconcerted by this question. In truth, over the last couple of days, he had little time to think about his own position.

“Well we’ve gotten just about everything back in order. We still need to get some new equipment brought in…” Eric began.
    Horatio gave a brief smile.

“Eric, that’s not what I meant,” he spoke.

“Oh, um—tired. I guess we all are. Nothing coffee won’t fix, right?” Eric grinned.

Horatio smiled again.

“Right,” he nodded.

Rebecca Nevins fidgeted in her chair. They had kept her in that room for the last two hours. Despite all that she knew she should do, she cracked. Normally someone would’ve had his or her lawyer there at a time like this, but she had chosen to represent herself. Maybe that had been a foolish decision. The tables turned now that she was in the hot seat. Things felt different and she didn’t like it.

“Can you turn the air conditioning down? It’s freezing in here,” Rebecca asked the officer that stood next to the door.

“Sorry ma’am,” the officer answered.

Just then, Horatio entered the room and she was surprised at his appearance. He looked supremely tired, his collar loose, and his pearly white shirtsleeves rolled up to his elbows. She knew where he’d been. With Yelina.

“Horatio, long time,” she sneered.

Horatio nodded as he closed the door behind him. There was no happiness in his face at seeing her. She knew he was going to receive her this way.

“What is it you want to tell me?” he asked.

11. CHILI_PEPPERS

ohhhhh i cant wait for the next chapter!i love this so much!

12. britney

britney Pathologist

Haha! That's great

13. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

What hurts the most
    Was being so close
    And having so much to say
    And watching you walk away
    And never knowing
    What could have been
    And not seeing that loving you
    Is what I was tryin' to do

~Rascall Flatts

Horatio re-enters the sultry summer air outside of Raymond and Yelina’s house. He had quickly gotten used to the air conditioning inside and he is finding his breathing to be laborious. Miami always has this affect on people this time of the year. Being inside for an extended period--where there was a source of shade and cool--before stepping out into the scorching heat, always gives a person a feeling of asphyxiation.

“Uncle Horatio, where’s Mommy?” Ray Jr. asks running up to him.

Horatio places his sunglasses on his face and smiles down at the boy. He stands almost as high as his Uncle’s waist now, his medium brown is haircut in the bob that Yelina is so fond of, and his skin is a nice bronze color that is the product of his staying outdoors a lot.

“What’s that buddy?” Horatio asks, tousling his nephew’s hair.

The boy squints in the afternoon sun and rubs his eye with the knuckle of his hand to remove perspiration that had run into his field of vision.

“Mommy,” Ray Jr. repeated.

Horatio smiles and removes his sunglasses to place them on Ray Jr. so the sun wouldn’t bother him so much. He understands what it must be like, having to stare up at someone and having the sun in your eyes.

“Where’s the last place you saw her?” he asks.

Ray Jr. smiles and adjusts the sunglasses on his nose. It is a great honor to him to be given his Uncle’s sunglasses to wear. He wore them with the same pride he demonstrates whenever he shows one of his drawings.

“She went inside,” Ray Jr. answers, finding it easier to see his Uncle’s face.

Horatio realizes that she may’ve overheard his and Raymond’s conversation. He is given very little time to think this over, for Yelina appears at the screen door that lead out into the backyard.

“I’m right here, Ray,” Yelina smiles.

She opens the door and steps out, holding the screwdriver she had gotten for her Uncle. Horatio feels his gut twist when he sees her expression. He knows that she knows. For in her eyes there is a profound sadness. He wants to tell her that he’d do anything to take that sorrow away from her but he holds his tongue. Once more, this was not the time or place to say such things.

“When are we gonna eat the cake?” Ray Jr. asks his Mother.

Yelina laughs and leans down to kiss the top of her son’s head. It amazes her how beautiful the naivety of a child is. She wishes that, somehow, she could keep him this way forever: Untouched by the horrors of the world—and the lies of his father.

“In a minute, okay? Take this to Uncle Rico please,” Yelina says, handing her son the screwdriver.

Ray Jr. gladly takes the tool from her and hands Horatio back his sunglasses.

“Thanks buddy,” Horatio smiles down at him.

Ray Jr. hurries off and Yelina calls after him telling, him not to run.

“You guys! We’re havin’ cake, in a minute!” he squeals as he approaches the guests.

A wave of laughter follows this announcement. Horatio and Yelina even smile at each other. After this, a long silence follows between the two. Neither is sure where to begin but both know that words need to be spoken.

“I’m going to do everything I can for him,” Horatio speaks first, referring to Raymond.

Yelina looks quickly at him and nods.

“I know that,” she says as she sighs. “God, why did I have to find this out today? I thought we were going to…”

Horatio swallows hard and looked at the folded up sunglasses in his hands.

“I really don’t know if he would murder someone, I don’t. He’s just always so distant. He’s always been but it just seems to keep getting worse…” Yelina continues as she wipes tears quickly from her eyes before any of the guests could see them.

“Where’s he at now?” Horatio asks quietly.

Yelina inhales a shaky breath. It is hard for her not to just break down and cry here but she wouldn’t. She needs to be strong: for herself, for her son, and even for Horatio. She knows he is feeling similar emotions of betrayal right then.

“He, um, he went upstairs to get some things…I think. He didn’t see me,” Yelina answers.

Horatio nods just as they hear squealing breaks from the front of the house.

14. CHILI_PEPPERS

ahh poor yelina must be realy hard for her this is briliant well done!! your a great writer!!cant wait for more

15. polina

polina Rookie

oh it` s so good! I love it