"The Road I'm On" Miami fic

Re: Horatio & Yelina fic

Rebecca Nevins stared into the cold eyes of Horatio. Those eyes that once were so warm towards her have become arctic and livid. She knows that he is thinking of Yelina and will stop at nothing to catch those who are responsible for her shooting.
In a way, she envies that. So long ago, she had strived to make him avert his attention away from the one woman that had ever completely seized his heart. Perhaps that envy had turned to hate.

“Rebecca, no games,” Horatio spoke, crushing the silence.

Rebecca flinched, pulled herself from her thoughts, and looked away from him. He had seen some of that fury in her eyes. Until now, it hadn’t fully presented itself to him that she would have a clear motive for getting involved with Rick. He wondered how long these mixed emotions had been going on.

“I knew,” Rebecca began her voice deep with emotion. “From the instant I saw you and her together, that I didn’t have a chance. I tried to store all that away, thinking it was just my crazy instincts trying to pull me into another mess. But when that alarm kept going off it just got too hard not to listen. So, I was just going to have what fun I could and see where we went from there.”

Horatio looked down at the sunglasses in his hands and swallowed hard. Once he had seen a bright future for her. Even if he didn’t agree with her way of doing things. She had been ambitious, full of spirit. Now all he saw was an angry young woman full of spite.

“How did you and Rick get involved?” he asked.

Rebecca looked at her hands as if she were examining her cuticles and was silent for a long moment. He walked to the window and waited. Any waiting was hard for him. It felt as if a clock was ticking silently in his mind and it was hard to ignore.

“I worked a case with him. We were both on the same page when it came to you and Salas,” Rebecca finally answered.

Horatio nodded and walked back to the side of the desk, taking slow thoughtful steps. He wanted to get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible while she was still willing to talk.
There were questions he wanted answered.

“Rebecca, were you associated with the gunmen?” he asked slowly.

Rebecca looked at him to answer this.

“I swear, Horatio, neither me nor Rick knew this would happen to the Crime Lab. We didn’t even know they had guns,” she replied quickly. “We just wanted Raymond brought to the surface.”

Horatio flinched at her last words. It had been the least expected words to come from her mouth. How had they known Raymond was alive?

“Um, after Yelina disappeared Rick got suspicious and started digging. I had some connections so he asked for my help. I’m not happy with what I did, Horatio, you’ve got to know that,” Rebecca started.

Horatio tried to control his breathing as he listened to her. It was hard event to see straight. What he was hearing seemed impossible. His brother had had good cover for himself and his family in Brazil.

“And what did you do?” Horatio asked menacingly.

Rebecca watched him for a moment. She could tell he was very upset and was holding it back. Still, that was one thing about Horatio. He did have a breaking point. It amazed her how far she had pulled herself from him since she entered the room. All he heard now was her words.

“Someone here told us that they overheard you and her talking about Brazil the last day she was here. It took some time but we sent pictures to their government,” Rebecca explained, having to look away again. “Saying they’d crossed their borders illegally.”

Horatio closed his eyes for a long moment.

“Then why the gunmen? Why try and kidnap us?” he asked.

Rebecca wiped a stray tear from her eyes.

“We revealed his identity to all the people who were looking for him.” She answered. “But I swear I don’t know why they would want you and Yelina.”

Just then, Frank stuck his head in the door.

“Horatio, can I talk to you for a minute?” he asked.

Horatio nodded and without another word to Rebecca followed Frank into the hallway. It was hard to concentrate with all the new information swimming around in his mind. He still needed the answer to why they had attempted to kidnap them.

Once out in the hallway he could tell that something was up.

“What is it?” Horatio asked.

Frank glanced down the hallway and ran an irritated hand along the back of his neck.

“Rick wants to talk to Yelina,” Frank began.

Horatio blinked several times and adjusted his position.

“You know that’s not possible, Frank,” Horatio spoke slowly.

Frank scoffed and sighed.

“Yeah, well, the departments already agreed to it,” Frank nodded.

“Doesn’t Yelina have a say?” Horatio asked.

Frank looked away from Horatio.

“Apparently, she’s agreed to it too,” Frank said.

Awesome update, Sher. You are unbelievably great at writing these characters as well as Rebecca. Love ya :)!

Yelina sat up in her hospital bed sipping on the water the nurse had brought her. It was lukewarm and tasted overly of chlorine but she appreciated it. Ever since Horatio had left, her mouth had been dry. She had wanted to tell him about her agreeing to talk to Stetler whenever the IAB agent was released. However, she knew he wouldn’t have allowed it. Now guilt was bothering her.

The detective side of her had formed all these questions that needed answering. When she had agreed to meeting him, she knew this was the only way that she’d get to have that chance to ask and hear the replies with her own ears. Now she was starting to believe this wasn’t the best thing to do. God knew she didn’t want to see Rick again. He was just a reminder of the night she was shot, unlike Horatio who could only jog good memories.

It was while all these emotions were playing out in her mind that her door was opened. In stepped a short balding man, the height of a jockey, being somewhere in his early forties, and wearing a sharp light grey suit. Yelina recognized him immediately and took a deep breath. Rick’s lawyer. Henry Belize. As expected in followed the dark haired IAB agent.

“How you doing?” Rick asked timidly, looking nervously at her from beneath his thick eyebrows.

Yelina didn’t appreciate this question. It was obvious how she was doing and he knew that. However, those sorts of words from him should be expected. He had played a part in trying to kidnap both her and Horatio and importing illegal aliens who had shot up the crime lab. It amazed her then as to how she ever felt anything for him at all. Maybe it was lust or just loneliness. She’d have to be on the latter one. A woman could get lonely waiting…

“Rick,” she spoke quietly, holding back the tempting eye roll.
“Sorry, sorry. I—um—I’m glad you agreed to this, I know Horatio couldn’t have taken it too well. But it looks like he let…”
“He doesn’t know. I may be bed ridden, for now, but I can still conduct an interrogation just as well. I don’t look for your pity or charity. Especially seeing how you helped put me here. Do not expect one ounce of sympathy out of me, so I’d spare the stories about your ordeal in jail. It’s where you belong for this. Another thing, get your sleazy lawyer out of here.”

Yelina felt relieved and very pleased by both of their expressions. It felt good being on the offensive side again. Indeed, she had shown that her injury had done nothing to her professional abilities or her spirit. Rick was genuinely taken aback and the lawyer began to wring his hands.

“Ms. Salas, I do regret what has happened to you but I assure you that my client had nothing to do with the gunmen who caused…” Henry Belize started.

Yelina was about to say something when Rick turned to his lawyer and indicated the door. It was a mournful point out and she knew that he didn’t want to part with his councilor. It was hard to keep the smile from her face as Henry adjusted his tie, tucked tail, and walked in a dignified manner out of the room.

Rick turned and gave a slight grin.

“So much for that.”
“The IA Bureau still paying for him?”
“Mm, Not this time.”

Yelina feigned disappointment and held back another eye roll. He knew all about her lack of sympathy as she had just stated her view on it. She’d never felt like doing the gesture so much. Rick had that affect on her. However, she needed to stay cool and collected on this one. Treat him like any other person she may interview. What fun.
She watches him cross the room to sit in the chair Horatio had occupied for most of her hospital stay, and most certainly would sit in several more times before she was released. It was comforting, knowing that Horatio was coming back. To sit by her, talk to her, to give her that feeling of safety and happiness.

“I know you don’t want my sympathy or…but I need to apologize and explain myself. I didn’t expect this to happen. I really didn’t. I got mixed up in a situation I couldn’t handle and it just took off with me in it. The men I were taking you and Caine to swore they only wanted to talk and they—“
“Talk? Talk about what?”
“They wanted to find Raymond. Said they wanted to do business or something… After you disappeared, I got curious and did some digging. It’s nothing that I’m proud of and if I could change things, I would. But I sent out flyers looking for you and the kid…”

Rick’s answer was interrupted by a ruckus in the hallway outside of the room. Both of them knew who the culprit was and looked warily at the other. He’d found out all right.

What I really meant to say
Is I'm really not that strong
No matter how I try
I'm still holdin' on
And here's the honest truth
I'm still in love with you
And, that's what I really meant to say...

It is after 10 P.M. in Miami and a strong breeze blows into the city, much welcome after the blistering heat.

Horatio parks his Hummer at the curb, walks around the front of the vehicle, and up the curb that leads to Yelina and Raymond’s house. As always it looks warm and welcoming. The kind of home most men would look forward to returning to at the end of each day. A home with a wife and child who remind you what is important and precious in life. Raymond had all this and yet he foolishly tried to gamble it all away. By buying drugs from those men that may have killed that journalist, by showing some form of guilt by running off after he was confronted about it, and by leaving his family during his son’s birthday party.

Walking slowly in the dark, Horatio tries to think of something he can say to console Yelina. He hates that he has to do this. She should not have to be comforted about her husband’s actions. Happiness, peace, and normalcy are things she deserves. Sure it was commendable that she is trying to hold her marriage together but everything she has done has been in vain. They should have never been married. If only he’d spoken his thoughts then…

“Anything?” a small voice asks in the shadowiness of the porch.

Horatio stops walking just before he reaches the steps. It takes him a second to recognize it is Yelina’s voice he had heard. Swallowing hard he clenches his jaw. Raymond had caused her to sound so different—so sad.

“No, not yet,” he answers slowly, peering through the dimness to spot her sitting on the top step.

It is hard for him not to continue. Once again, he has to rein his emotions. His heart wants him to spill those harbored sensations but he can’t let the feelings form into words. Right now isn’t the time to say these things. Will there ever be the perfect time to pronounce them? There just wasn’t any logic in this. He can stop himself from declaring his love verbally, yet the feelings still course through him.

“When you find him, then what?” she questions.

Horatio places his foot up on the first step and looks down the street towards a distant street light. He looks at it but doesn’t really see it. He is trying to clear his mind.

“Um, we have to take him in for questioning and hold him in case…” he begins, although he knows she is aware of the procedure.

Yelina stands and walks down to the first step. She is inches away from him as he to her. Inside his chest his heart beats faster and he has to control his breathing. There is just something so magical about her presence and what it does to him. On looking at her the first thing he notices are her sad eyes with the street light glowing in them. Raymond had caused all of those scars in her eyes. However, in Horatio’s mind, it is his own fault for he allows all this to continue.

“When you find Raymond,” she begins in a whisper. “Will you let me talk to him first? I just know I can get him to tell the truth.”

Yelina studies his face as she finishes her request. Horatio stands there with those stunning blue eyes glowing full of so much emotion. She knows it is painful for him to hold it all inside. If he could just…

“Yelina, do you know what you’re doing to yourself? What you’re allowing him to do to you and the boy?” he speaks suddenly with his voice full of so much emotion.

She is so stunned by this that for a moment she thinks the words must have been imagined. It takes her a moment before the words to reply form in her mouth.

“We’ve had this conversation before and…” she starts.

Horatio frowns and looks down towards their feet. He is trying to stay calm but remains on the brink of exploding. Looking away from those eyes helps him keep his composure.

“And you never listen.” He finishes for her.

Yelina steps down to stand on the walkway. He follows her movement then looks away at the street light again. She knows that there is something else he wants to say.

“Horatio,” she speaks softly.

He looks slowly up towards the porch and then up at the sky. There is an intense play of emotions in his movements. It looks as if he is trying to force whatever thoughts he is thinking from his mind.

“Whatever it is, just say it.” She says, trying not to let the glimmer of hope inside her become apparent.

“You don’t love him.”

The words came out so quickly that he didn’t recall even thinking of saying them. Yet, it is such a relief to let them out. Nonetheless, the look of surprise on her face after he said it, made him want to take them back.

Inspiring as ever HnM. You just know these two so well, it never fails to impress. :)

You write both of them so perfectly it really is amazing. The way you describe everything is just so wonderful.

Yelina feels herself nearly reel from his words. It seems that, for a moment, she must have imagined him saying that sentence. Surely, Horatio wasn’t judging whether she loves her husband. No one had the right to critic her and Raymond’s marriage.

“What I mean is…” Horatio begins.
“What do you mean, Horatio?” she asks immediately.

A short, however seemingly long, silence follows this question. Horatio tries to ball all of his emotions into words but finds trouble. He always does. He can step forward and whisper menacingly into a heartless murderer’s ear without hesitation, yet he struggles to express himself in this way. Especially to her.

“I just think you could be happy,” he speaks, adjusting his footing and finding the last words hard to articulate, “With me.”

Yelina stares astonishingly at him. There he stands under the white light of that distant street lamp, his ginger colored hair blowing somewhat in the breeze, his face dark but she knows his eyes are earnest. So human. So strikingly human. Watching him, she realizes that part of her wants to agree. Nonetheless, the logical side of her wins another time.

“Please, don’t—don’t make this more complicated then it already is, Horatio. I’m with Raymond and I’m not—”

Tears well up in her eyes. She doesn’t like telling Horatio anything that will hurt him. Not many people know him as she does. From all angles, he is God’s gift to humankind. Always looking out for the other person and always so strong. Yet, he is as susceptible to emotions as everyone is. To pain, heartache, loss… not many knew the Horatio behind the shield like her. That vulnerable man.

“Yeah.” He nods, looking at the street lamp, not wanting to hear the rest of it.

When he does this, she sees that pleading sadness in his eyes. For a moment, she wishes that she could take back her words. Do anything to erase that melancholy glimmer. Except she cannot.

“I, um, should get going. I’ve got some…,” he continues, stepping down from the steps and starting to walk past her.

“Right,” she says, “Ray Jr.’s asleep, I better check on him.”

Horatio makes his way back down the walkway looking towards his feet. He is so lost in his own thoughts he doesn’t see the figure walk up beside his Hummer and does not notice him until he speaks.

“Horatio,” Raymond says quietly. “I need your help.”

Horatio stops walking immediately and looks from his brother back towards the porch. He cannot see Yelina now, but does see the light from a lamp that has just been turned on.

“Not here.” Horatio nods.

I soo love this fic.
a lot of angst, a lot of romance. it's the right mix.
I also like that you didn't forget the other characters.
the H/Y dialogues are very touching.
hope you're able to update soon.
:)

Back