"The Road I'm On" Miami fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by HoratioAndMe, Sep 15, 2005.

1. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

CHAPTER ONE: The Road I’m On

He said life’s a lot to think about sometimes
    When you keep it on between the lines
    And everything I want and I want to find one of these days
    But what you thought was real in life
    Oh, it somehow steer you wrong
    And now you just keep trying and trying to find out where you belong
    And I know you feel helpless now, and I know you feel, hold on
    That’s the same road, the same road that I’m on...

The sun sunk low in the western sky and twilight came to Miami. The nightlife was beginning. The city throbbed with energy. Somewhere in its disruptive walls a crime would be committed, and someone would make a decision—a wrong decision.

On some days the sin seemed to outweigh the virtue. Days like these. The bad days—the inevitable—when it took extra effort to commit to the job. The jostling city of Miami knew, more then most, there would be bad days…a lot of them.

The sun had finally disappeared into the horizon and the street lamps were just flickering on—possibly the only thing taking it’s time in this city die for.
    Horatio Caine stepped quickly out of his Hummer into the crime lab parking lot. A cool breeze, unlike many Miami breezes, tousled his hair as he made it across the pavement looking at his cell phone. He had failed to wear his overcoat, not expecting the phone call, and entered the lab wearing a sparkling white button-up shirt and gray slacks.
    “Where are they?” Horatio asked Ryan as he made it past the doors.
    “They’re in the waiting area,” Ryan spoke slowly. “Listen H, I’m sorry.”
    Horatio nodded quickly and walked down the hallway the lights darkening his features somewhat. He found who he was looking for. Yelina and Ray Jr.
    “Horatio,” Yelina spoke, rising to her feet and hurrying to him for an embrace.
    He inhaled the smell of her hair and felt as if a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. She was here with him, now. After so many painful days without her she was back. Why did they have to be reunited like this? Why did fate treat them so unkind? Was it their doom…?

Horatio played back in his mind what she had said on the phone. Raymond had been killed, she had seen it, and she knew no one else to go to…but him. Her sworn protector whether she needed him to be or not.
    “We were eating at a restaurant… These men with guns came, and Ray said that they worked with him. I—I was sitting next to the window… They shot him! This can’t be happening all over again, why us? Horatio, I’ve really lost him this time.” She had cried earlier on the phone.

(chapter not complete yet :))

2. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

When evening shadows and the stars appear
    And there is no one to dry your tears
    I could hold you for a million years
    To make you fell my love

I know you haven't made your mind up yet
    And I would never do you wrong
    I've known it from the moment that we met
    There's not doubt in my mind where you belong

Horatio pulled away from her, noticing a sweet smell to her of daisies.
    "Yelina," he spoke softly. " If they worked with Ray then why kill him?"
    Yelina swallowed hard and looked back to the sleeping Ray Jr. He followed her gaze and then bowed his head.
    " I don't know... Maybe it has to do with the shipment." Yelina answered still looking at Ray Jr.
    Horatio turned her around by her shoulder.
    " Shipment?" he asked.
    Yelina tried to read his expression. Why did he always try and guard his emotions? Why keep them from her, of all people?
    " On the plane ride...He said that he had to try and stop a boat from reaching Miami. That, that was two months ago. He didn't tell me anything else. His work is..was kept private." Yelina spoke carefully, tears spilling down her cheeks.
    Horatio placed his hand on her face and wiped the tear away with his thumb. It hurt to ever see her upset and sadened, it hurt even worse when he knew he couldn't make her happy.
    " Yelina, I'll find out." he spoke.
    Yelina looked into his light china blue eyes. There was something in them...something she could only describe as mixed emotions... for her?
    He gave her a warm loving smile and turned to leave.
    "Horatio, " Yelina called, after a brief hesitation.
    Horatio turned slightly.
    " You don't have to do this... It's dangerous." she called, not caring if anyone heard her.
    " I need to," he replied.
    Yelina swallowed hard and nodded.
    " Be careful," she called again as he continued down the hall.
    Horatio turned again.
    " You and the boy go somewhere safe," he called.

The two were again asking fate to keep them safe. Yelina did not know whether Horatio would come back to her, and he did not know if whoever had killed Raymond wanted them dead too.
    Fate, destiny, luck, and skill had to be on their side.
    If not... maybe this was good-bye.

(new installment soon)

3. Leannethemouse

Leannethemouse CSI Level Three

4. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

Wow, HoratioAndMe your imagry is phenomenal! I can see the images clearly of both installments. I'm glad someone is writing this type of fanfic and I like the idea of Raymond out of the picture. :devil:

5. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

I'm glad you guys like it. :D

6. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

I actually LOVE having Ray Snr out of the picture. Now H can have that guilty conscience out of the way..! The suspense is killing me tho! Keep it up Sher!

7. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

~When the road gets dark
    And you can no longer see
    Just let my love throw a spark
    And have a little faith in me

And when the tears you cry
    Are all you can believe
    Just give these loving arms a try
    And have a little faith in me

When your secret heart
    Cannot speak so easily
    Come here darlin’
    From a whisper start
    To have a little faith in me

Well, I’ve been loving you for such a long time girl
    Expecting nothing in return
    Just for you to have a little faith in me
    You see time, time is our friend
    ’cause for us there is no end
    And all you gotta do is have a little faith in me
    I said I will hold you up, I will hold you up
    Your love gives me strength enough
    So have a little faith in me

And when your back’s against the wall
    Just turn around and you will see
    I will catch, I will catch your fall baby
    Just have a little faith in me
    ~

Horatio exited the crime lab to stand on the steps. Perhaps the night air could calm his raging pulse... So much had happened so suddenly.
    One moment his life was getting back in order, and the next thing he knew,once again, his life was no longer going as planned.

When Yelina left on the airplane he thought he could fight the feeling he had for her. Thinking distance could ease the pain of not having her with him...It only made it worse. Whenever he would walk by her desk he felt a gut wrenching pain: missing her presense, her scent, the small smiles she would give him. Why did he have to love someone he couldn't have? Why did guilt always try to ruin what happiness he could have... He knew there was no happiness for him until he could love her like he wanted to--Not from a distance.

Inhaling deeply he thought of his brother. So many years ago they had been close, almost friends, but Raymond couldn't never be just like his older brother. It drove him to the brink trying to be Horatio, but there were some things that he couldn't stay away from.

As time wore on Raymond took the wrong road in life: drugs, affairs, and endless lies. All hurting his family, his career, and ruining the image he so badly wanted.
    Now, Horatio had lost his brother again and could've lost Yelina. It was by some miracle that the men who killed Raymond didn't shoot Yelina and Ray Jr,. Once more, he couldn't be there to protect the ones he loved. Others would say, " I couldn't have done anything to prevent it." while Horatio's frame of thought was more of a "I could've done something."

Horatio made his way down the steps with new determination. The only way to get this guilt off of his chest was to do SOMETHING. He was taking a chance... a dangerous deadly chance-- He needed to do what he should've done when they thought Raymond dead before... Lay the guilt on the guilty.

He opened the door to his Hummer and slid in.
    Looking back at the crime lab he saw Yelina looking at him from the window, the lights over her head shadowing her expression. He stared at her for a long moment. His inspiration, his light, his heart and soul... The only woman he'd fight and dies for. He started the engine.

(more soon :D)

8. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

Heart-wrenching :(

9. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

In the chilly hours and minutes of uncertainty
    I long to be
    In the warm hold of your loving mind
    To take your hand along the sand
    Would be the sweetest thing
    Would make me sing
    Ah but I may as well try and catch the wind

When rain has hung the leaves with tears
    I want you near to kill my fears
    To help me to leave all my blues behind
    For standing in your heart
    Is where I want to be and long to be

When sundown pales the sky
    I want to hide awhile, behind your smile
    And everywhere I’d look your eyes I’d find
    For me to love you now
    Would be the sweetest thing
    Would make me sing

Yelina watched the beam of Horatio's headlights disappear down the road, before she turned from the window.
    Why was he always so sure he could fix everything for her? He was one man doing the work on hundreds. And no one could give her back Raymond.

For some reason the hurt of him dieing was as intense as when she thought him dead before. Back then she'd loved him--she thought--faults and all. Had their entire marriage been founded on lust... True love didn't burn out like a candle left lit too long. Had she ever loved any man, truly?
    Why was it that every man she dated, even Raymond, she compared to Horatio? Horatio would'nt do that, Horatio would do this. She could never find someone to equal him. Was it just an admiration or something more? Even if she did want to have a relationship with him the guilt of Raymond would loom between them. How could she make him realize that not everything that happens is his fault?! Time, they needed it badly...but it wasn't on their side. Horatio had left, prepared to take risk while she cowered away from danger.
    She turned to look at the still sleeping Raymond. She needed to do something, try to do something, to avenge the brutal murder of his father.
    "You okay?" came a voice, interrupting her train of thoughts.
    Yelina blinked several times before looking at Calleigh and nodding.
    "Horatio told us everything on the phone over here--if you need any help..." Calleigh offered.
    Yelina nodded slowly at first then more rapidly.
    " Yes, I do need a couple favors," Yelina began. " I need someone to watch Ray Jr."
    Calleigh smiled.
    " We'd be glad to," she smiled.
    Yelina nodded and gave a small smile.
    " A vehicle," Yelina started.
    " There's plenty of detective cars out back... Any particular place you need to go? I can get Eric or Ryan..." Calleigh asked.
    " No place particular... Just to help someone," Yelina began.

And so, Yelina was to assist Horatio... Take that wild dangerous risk, and punish those responsible. Maybe they'd come out together. Possibly, hopefully.

(new one very soon, I'm on a roll :D)

10. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

Bravo! I love it...
    *now in raving mad scientist tone*Mooorree!!Mooooorreee!!!"

11. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

Dreams last for so long
    Even after you're gone
    I know you love me
    And soon you will see
    You were meant for me
    And I was meant for you

Horatio stepped once more out of his Hummer. The only light that fell on it was that of the newly risen full moon. He was going to check the port records of any ships coming in from Brazil or South America in the last two months. From there, he'd plan as he found out information.

On the ride over he thought about Yelina, as he always did when he was alone. Should he be suprised to see her back in his life? Did he not expect her to return when that was all he wanted...For her to come back. Be with him.

He thought of what'd he could say to her to express his feelings. Tell her that she was his heart, his soul, his everything. How could his tongue be as eloquent as the emotions he carried? It was one thing for a person to love someone else, and another for that love to be returned. If she did possess the same feelings then why not express them? Was it because of Raymond or was there just nothing from her side. He didn't know but he had to take the chance... Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Horatio walked across the gravel parking lot to the Port Records building. It was a marble two story building that had only two other vehicles out front besides his. He stepped quickly up the steps to pull the door open.
    "Well, well," came a familiar voice from down the hallway once he entered.
    Horatio turned slowly to see Stetler at the front desk signing a piece of paper. Stetler the snake. The last person he ever wanted to see on any day.
    "Rick," he stated dully.
    Rick smirked and handed the paper he had signed to the woman behind the desk. Horatio knew the man wouldn't pass up a chance to try and get under his skin.
    "What brings you here?" Rick asked approaching.
    Horatio shifted his feet to a wider stance and lowered his head for a moment.
    "Why? You still have me under the microscope?" Horatio inquired, his voice tight.
    Rick shrugged and gave another sleazy smirk.
    "What do you think? Any reason you should be?" Rick laughed.

Horatio turned his head to look down the hall; resisting agitation.
    "I'm here for work." Horatio spoke after a brief hesitation.
    Rick looked at him with an air of uncertainty.
    "Okay," Rick shrugged.
    Horatio glanced at him out of the corner of his eye.
    "Well then," Horatio said slowly.
    Rick nodded, taking the hint that Horatio wanted him to leave.
    "Okay, Caine. But I'll see you again...real soon," Stetler grinned.

Horatio watched him leave before walking to the desk.
    "Lietenant Caine, Miami Dade police," he began.

(new one in the near future :) )

12. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

It's not my style to dance away the night
    Or go for a walk beneath the full moonlight
    And I don't wish on falling stars
    Or easily give away my heart

But girl, for you I will
    Can't hide this love that I feel
    Never been the kind of guy
    To fall in head over heels
    But girl, for you I will

It's not like me at all to talk about
    The likelihood of finally settling down
    Couldn't speak the words "I love you"
    Or find the courage to say "I do"

But girl, for you I will
    Can't hide this love that I feel
    Never been the kind of guy
    But girl, for you I will

I've never been the kind of guy
    But girl, for you I will

Yelina pulled into the parking lot of the Port Records building and parked next to Horatio's Hummer just as he came out. She climbed out and he stopped in his tracks.
    He walked across the gravel to reach her before speaking.
    "Yelina," he stated, a hint on anger in his voice.
    She knew what this was going to turn into.
    "Horatio, I'm not going to sit idly by...," she began.
    Horatio watched her silently for a moment. Reading her expression by moonlight. She had changed so much since that afternoon she left on a plane: more aggressive, less dependent... and somehow her feelings for Raymond seemed nearly nonexistant.

"Yelina, we don't know if these people who killed Ray are after you or not. You need to be out of the public eye...somewhere safe--," Horatio began.
    Yelina touched his arm.
    "I'll be safe with you," she spoke softly.
    Horatio gave her a small smile.
    "You know I wished that were true," Horatio said, avoiding eye contact.
    Yelina knew when he did that there was something more that he wanted to say, but was unsure. Had she been the one who had encouraged him not to express himself?
    "Horatio, what is it?" she asked.
    Horatio shook his head and looked back at her. He was finally ready to tell her everything he felt...but did they have time for him to get the words out?

13. Leannethemouse

Leannethemouse CSI Level Three

Wow this is great.... You are an amazing writer :D

14. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

I think of two young lovers
    Running wild and free
    I close my eyes
    And sometimes see
    You in the shadows
    Of this smoke-filled room

No telling how many tears
    I’ve sat here and cried
    Or how many lies
    That I’ve lied
    Telling my poor heart
    She’ll come back someday
    Oh, but I’ll be alright
    As long as there’s light
    From a neon moon

It seemed like an eternity to her before Horatio began to speak. If only he would say what she thought she saw glint in his eyes whenever he looked at her. A passion. A wanting. A need. Love.

“Yelina,” he stated. “There’s so much to say and not enough time to say it.”

This wasn’t the route she wanted to see him take. Not the words she wanted to hear him speak--not under this enchanting Miami moon.

They were both there to try and prevent a crime and avenge one at the same time. Even dead Raymond seemed to haunt them. She was tired of it. Why did bad decisions always happen to good people? How did she ever think that what she and Ray had was love…not just lust?

How come Love seemed to have forgotten them? Two people who spend everyday working for the well being of others. When did they get a chance to be happy? Question.

“Horatio, I never really loved Raymond,” she spoke suddenly.

Horatio couldn’t find the words to express how he felt about that declaration. Why did she tell him this now? Why not tell him years ago, when he could’ve had her without the guilt, when he had time to tell her.

“You can’t mean that,” he shook his head.
    Yelina watched his expression. Did he not want to hear her say what they both knew would come next?
    “I do,” Yelina nodded. “We were living a lie. Me, I lived an illusion all those years. I thought I could be happy with Ray and Rick, but Horatio there always seemed to be an empty place. Where you’ve always belonged.”

He nodded and tried to keep his composure. If he was dreaming he didn’t want to ever wake up. Why wouldn’t his tongue work?
    “Tell me what you wanted to say,” Yelina spoke softly, moonlight shining in her large brown eyes.

There they stood, in the Port Records parking lot within arms length of each other. The world buzzing about them, but theirs stood still. After years of angst, tension, and unspoken feelings they were finally taking the moment to declare their feelings. Why did the thing you want most always have to be so painful not to have?

Horatio knew this would probably be the only chance he got to tell her what he wanted to say. Soon their world would again return to it’s fast past. Normalicy for them. Perhaps soon he would wake up and he would be in his bed; Yelina still in Brazil. Or just maybe it was the enchanting moonlight, making people say things they felt...

“Yelina.” He said again. The name was like music to his ears and joy to his lips.

She waited anxiously. Was he really going to spill his heart out to her? Did he still care for her like he did before she left with Raymond? Was the look in his eyes just an illusion, like so many she’d had?

“I love you,” he continued, sounding as if a heavy burden had been lifted from his shoulders. “I want you to know that...more then anything. I’ve looked Yelina and I can’t find any woman even equal to you. You’re the standard for me. I’ve never thought any man worthy of you: not Raymond, not Rick...not me. No matter where I go, what I do, no matter how much I try—you’re always on my mind. When I see a sunset I want to share it with you, when I se hate and anger I want to protect you from it—give you the happiness you deserve. All these years I’ve wanted to be the one for you. I’ve wanted that chance. To love you the way I want to.”

She watched the emotions on his face as he spoke and thought she saw tears glinting in his eyes. She knew that he was upset that she had to be subject to such wrong men, angry that he couldn’t protect her from the cruel world, and saddened and hurt from not being able to have her.

“Horatio...,” she began, but couldn’t finish.

Yelina stepped forward and took his hand like she had once before to tend to his wound, not knowing that a silent pain lay in his heart—only noticable through the glint in his light grey-blue eyes.
    For a long moment they stood staring into each others eyes, smiles playing across their faces. Perhaps the last moment before the world caught up with them, and they remembered why they were there.

15. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

Very beautiful, why aren't you published somewhere?