The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Re: Rest In Peace

It actually isn't that old, take a look at Charles Lane he's 101 and still alive. I suppose it depends on the person.

I don't know anything about Mike Douglas so I can't really comment on his death.

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Actually age is considered relative anymore, what was once considered, middle aged, or elderly has changed. It really does depend on the person, their health, attitude, ect. Anymore they aren't really even put into catagories.

3. twiztid4togo

twiztid4togo Coroner

RIP Eddie Guerrero. My whole family is big into wrestling and Eddie and Rey were my fav wrestlers on WCW, back in the day. I admit I don't watch it much anymore but I did watch the tribute they did for him on WWE after he died. I did cry, it was so sad. He was really a great person.

4. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

Destiny, can you do the picture of Bruno Kirby?

Bruno Kriby of City Slicker has died Monday, he was 57 years old, of complicationns related to Leukemia. He has recently been diagnosed with the disease.

5. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Pictures of Bruno Kirby

I remember when he appeared in an episode of Columbo called "By Dawn's Early Light" with his dad, Bruce Kirby.

6. iloveyou

iloveyou CSI Level One

John Ritter, From 8 Simple Rules for dating my teenage daughter, voice of clifford the big red dog, and SO much more.

As the second season of "8 Simple Rules" was about to debut, the actor collapsed on the set of the sit-com and was rushed to a nearby hospital. To the shock of fans worldwide, the "nicest guy in Hollywood," passed away from an undiagnosed arterial problem that same day, leaving many to wonder how such a young, vibrant truly funny talent could leave the world so soon.

* Also Credited As:
    Jonathan Southworth Ritter
    * Born:
    on 09/17/1948 in Burbank, California
    * Died:
    11-SEP-03.
    * Job Titles:
    Actor, Producer

7. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I would like to recomend, that we keep this thread for only the recently deceased. Not people who died a couple years ago.

8. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

It maybe better to keep the thread for recently passed away celebrities and maybe remembering celebrities on the anniversary of their passing. How does that sound? :)

9. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Sounds like a good comprimise to me, how does everyone else feel.

10. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Sounds cool Tinks if you want to add that into the main post of the thread it would be appreciated. :)

11. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Re: The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Okay then. :)

I've changed the title of the thread Destiny. :)

12. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Well Naguib Mahfouz died today. I've never heard of him before today but now I want to read one of his books, can anyone tell me if he's as good as they're saying.

13. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Got three more for tonight:

Actor Glenn Ford Dies at 90
    Aug 30, 10:54 PM (ET)

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - Actor Glenn Ford, who played strong, thoughtful protagonists in films such as "The Blackboard Jungle,""Gilda" and "The Big Heat," died Wednesday, police said. He was 90.

Paramedics called to Ford's home just before 4 p.m. found Ford dead, police Sgt. Terry Nutall said, reading a prepared statement. "They do not suspect foul play," he said.

Ford suffered a series of strokes in the 1990s.

Failing health forced him to skip a 90th birthday tribute on May 1 at Hollywood's historic Grauman's Egyptian Theatre. But he did send greetings via videotape, adding, "I wish I were up and around, but I'm doing the best that I can.... There's so much I have to be grateful for."

At the event, Shirley Jones, who co-starred with him in the comedy "The Courtship of Eddie's Father," called Ford "one of the cornerstones of our industry, and there aren't many left."

Ford appeared in scores of films during his 53-year Hollywood career. The Film Encyclopedia, a reference book, lists 85 films from 1939 to 1991.

He was cast usually as the handsome tough, but his acting talents ranged from romance to comedy. His more famous credits include "Superman,""Gilda,""The Sheepman,""The Gazebo,""Pocketful of Miracles" and "Don't Go Near the Water."

`Psycho' Scriptwriter Stefano Dies at 84
    Aug 30, 5:28 PM (ET)

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) - Joseph Stefano, who wrote the screenplay for Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" and was co-creator of television's science fiction anthology series "The Outer Limits," has died. He was 84.

Stefano died Aug. 25 at Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center, funeral director Elaine Munoz said. The cause of death wasn't disclosed.

Stefano graduated in 1940 from South Philadelphia High School and he went to New York as an aspiring entertainer. He played piano, sang, danced and wrote music and lyrics.

He toured with a modern dance troupe and worked temporary jobs as a typist. He met his future bride, Marilyn Epstein, in a bar in Manhattan in 1953.

"I was trying to make a choice on the jukebox and this great-looking man in black jacket, jeans and boots said, 'Play that one, I wrote it,'" she told The Philadelphia Inquirer. They soon married.

Stefano's big TV break came in the 1950s when he was hired as a writer for the "Ted Mack Family Hour." He also wrote a number of scripts, including "The Black Orchid," which was made into a 1958 movie starring Sophia Loren and Anthony Quinn.

Stefano then became a scriptwriter for 20th Century Fox in 1960, and he moved to Hollywood. Hitchcock soon had him adapt a Robert Bloch pulp novel for the screen. The movie became "Psycho."

"Bloch's novel started with Marion Crane arriving at the motel and immediately being killed. My feeling was that, since I did not know anything about this girl, I wasn't going to care about her when she was killed. So we backed the story up a bit and learned something about her so that when she was killed, it would have more impact," Stefano once told the Los Angeles Times.

Stefano had her stealing $40,000 from her boss and stopping at the Bates Motel while on the run. Though she has a change of conscience about the money, Crane is knifed to death in a memorable shower sequence.

He wrote several other screenplays, including "The Naked Edge" with Gary Cooper, but Stefano and screenwriter Leslie Stevens turned to TV to produce and write "The Outer Limits," which ran from 1963 to '65.

Stefano later wrote the 1969 thriller "Eye of the Cat" and co-wrote the comedy "Futz!" that same year with Rochelle Owens.

In the 1970s and 1980s, he wrote TV movies, including "Home for the Holidays" in 1972 and "Snowbeast " in 1977.

Besides his wife, Stefano is survived by his son Dominic. The funeral was private.

Rockabilly Singer Gene Simmons (not from KISS) Dies at 69
    Aug 30, 6:07 PM (ET)

TUPELO, Miss. (AP) - Rockabilly singer and songwriter Jumpin' Gene Simmons, who worked with Elvis Presley and had a top 20 hit in 1964 with the bouncy "Haunted House," has died. He was 69.

He died Tuesday at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo after a long illness, according to Holland-Harris Funeral Directors.

Simmons - not to be confused with the Kiss bassist with the same name - was in show business for more than 50 years, working with such names as Sam Phillips and the Bill Black Combo. More recently, he co-wrote "Indian Outlaw," which became a big hit in 1994 for country superstar Tim McGraw.

But his biggest success came in 1964 with the novelty song "Haunted House," which reached No. 11 on the Billboard pop chart and launched Simmons on a world tour.

Among other early gigs, he performed as an opening act for Presley in Tupelo, Presley's birthplace and Simmons' longtime hometown, as Presley's career was taking off, said his son, Cary Simmons.

After appearing in some Memphis clubs, Simmons signed with Sun Records, the legendary Memphis label formed by Phillips that launched the careers of Presley, Johnny Cash and other stars.

While he didn't have the chart success of other Sun performers, Simmons' recordings have become known to later generations through reissues. Brian Setzer did a version of Simmons'"Peroxide Blonde in a Hopped Up Model Ford" on his "Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1: A Tribute to Sun Records."

Simmons, born in Itawamba County in 1937, spent most of his life in Northeast Mississippi although he lived for a time in Memphis. Besides his son, survivors include his mother, a sister, and two brothers.

14. Exit 8A

Exit 8A Pathologist

15. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I heard about it. It's bizarre that he could make it through so many other things, and this was the incident that claimed his life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.