The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

With so many stars passing away I thought I would create a thread strictly for those who have passed on, this saves so many threads strictly for those who have passed on. This way also folks can search through it to find someone whom they might be looking for.

2. Destiny

Re: Rest In Peace

Okay I am not double posting for the sake of it, I wanted the first post to be for what this thread is about. Which leads me to this second post.

Mike Hammer Creator Mickey Spillane Dies
    <Snip>
    Mickey Spillane, the macho mystery writer who wowed millions of readers with the shoot-'em-up sex and violence of gumshoe Mike Hammer, died Monday. He was 88.

Spillane's death was confirmed by Brad Stephens of Goldfinch Funeral Home in his hometown of Murrells Inlet. Details about his death were not immediately available.

Married three times, Spillane was the father of four children.

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Good idea-Destiny so many - latetly- just got my CNN news-- and mystery writer Mickey Spillane just died, at age 88-another one bites the dust- - he led a excitng life and wrote many riveting great books- RIP- :(

4. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I just looked him up, next time I'm at the library and need a book I'll check his stuff out.

5. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Carrie Nye, an actress who was married to television host Dick Cavett and was a regular presence on the stages of the famed Williamstown Theatre Festival, died Friday. She was 69.

Nye died at her home in Manhattan of lung cancer.

She made her Broadway debut in 1960 in "A Second String," an adaptation of a novel by Colette, and went on to earn a Tony nomination five years later by playing a society lady in the Broadway musical "Half a Sixpence."

Nye appeared in numerous other Broadway productions, including "A Very Rich Woman" by Ruth Gordon," and a 1980 revival of "The Man Who Came to Dinner." She also performed off-Broadway in Michael Cacoyannis' production of "The Trojan Women" in 1963 and Tom Stoppard's "Real Inspector Hound" in 1972.

But Nye spent much of her career at the Williamstown Theatre Festival in northern Massachusetts, appearing in 24 of its productions over 31 years.

Her first appearance at Williamstown was as Margaret in "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" in 1958, and other memorable roles included Hedda Gabler, Blanche Dubois in "A Streetcar Named Desire" and Anya in "Nude With Violin." Her last Williamstown appearance was as Zelda Fitzgerald in "Clothes For A Summer Hotel" in 1989.

Nye met Cavett while they both were attending the Yale Drama School. The couple first went to Williamstown together for the summer theater festival in 1959.

She also performed on television, earning an Emmy nomination for her Tallulah Bankhead role in the 1980 movie "The Scarlett O'Hara War."

___

I remember when she played on Guiding Light as Susan Piper. Shows my age. LOL

6. Destiny

Hollywood Vet Jack Warden Dies

<Snips>

The character actor, who became a familiar face in the 1970s and 1980s died Wednesday at a New York hospital, his manager said Friday. Warden was 85--"almost 86," business manager Sidney Pazoff noted, adding that the actor died of "old age, basically."

For those raised on 1980s TV, Warden likely is best known as hothead P.I. Harry Fox, who, in prime prime-time tradition, solved mysteries with his temperamental opposite and son (John Rubinstein) in Crazy Like a Fox. The show lasted two seasons on CBS, running from 1984-86, and prompting the 1987 made-for-TV movie Still Crazy Like a Fox.

Born John Lebzelter on Sept. 18, 1920, Warden served in the U.S. Navy and Army, pulling a stint in the latter during World War II. He began his acting career in New York in the 1940s. -- When Warden finally stopped acting in Hollywood in 2000, it was by "his choice," Pazoff said.

7. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Oscar Nominee Mako Dies at 72

Memoirs Of A Geisha star Mako has lost his battle with esophageal cancer at his home in Ventura County, California. He was 72. The Asian-American actor, who was Oscar nominated for his portrayal of submissive engineer Po-Han in The Sand Pebbles in 1966, died on Friday. Brought up in Japan by his grandparents while his parents were studying in New York, Mako joined his mother and father when they were granted US citizenship. He studied architecture before joining the US Army in the early 1950s and became passionate about acting while performing in military shows. He became a naturalized American in 1956. After his Army service, he enrolled at the Pasadena Community Playhouse in California and studied to become a professional actor. The Sand Pebbles, which earned him an Academy Award Best Supporting Actor nod, was his first film. His other movies include The Ugly Dachsund (1966), The Green Hornet (1974), An Eye For An Eye (1981), Seven Years In Tibet (1997), Bulletproof Monk (2003) and Pearl Harbor (2001). His impressive TV resume includes appearances in Wonder Woman, I Spy, Hawaii Five-O, Kung Fu and The Streets Of San Francisco

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I remeber seeing Mako in many shows and movies. He was in four episodes of M*A*S*H, each time as a different character. Last year, he was in an episode of Monk, "Mr. Monk vs the Cobra." He has appeared on 7th Heaven, The West Wing, JAG, and many other shows.

9. orgasmicbilly

orgasmicbilly Lab Technician

my best friend died 3 months ago i miss him so much
    i dunno if this r.i.p thing is just for famous people but hey i dont care

i love him forever and i hope hes happy wherever he is!!

R.I.P KAI
    xxxxxxxx

10. Destiny

I am sorry to hear about your friend, it's hard to lose someone. But this is for celebs, I would say personal would probably be in the MISC forum. Again I am sorry about your friend may he rest in peace.

11. Destiny

Mike Douglas, Former TV Show Host, Dies

<Snip>
    Mike Douglas, whose affable personality and singing talent earned him 21 years as a television talk show host, died Friday on his 81st birthday.

He died at 5:30 a.m. in a Palm Beach Gardens hospital, said his wife, Genevieve Douglas. She wasn't sure of the cause, but said he had been admitted Thursday.

Douglas became dehydrated on the golf course a few weeks ago and had been treated on and off since. "He was coming along fine, we thought. It was really a shock," she said. "We never anticipated this to happen."

Besides his wife, survivors include daughters Kelly and twins Michele and Christine and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

12. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Rest In Peace, Mike Douglas. And my condolences to his family and friends.

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

My mom loved him, watched him everyday- he was a charming-gentle, sweet, kind man- RIP- 81 that's a long life-

14. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

I remember him. Sad to see he died on his b/day. He'll be missed.

15. gream_reaper

gream_reaper Police Officer

As seeen from my banner, one of WWE's most decorated superstars, Eddie "Latino Heat" Guerrero past away last Novevmber of 05 and until today, his memomry still lives:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.