The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

'Catcher in the Rye' author J.D. Salinger dies

J.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose "The Catcher in the Rye" shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son, actor Matt Salinger, said in a statement from Salinger's longtime literary representative, Harold Ober Associates, Inc. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in a small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

Click on link for more information

I'm surprised nobody put it here. Poltergeist Actress Zelda Rubinstein died of a heart attack and at the age of 76.

I'm sorry about that, I didn't see your last post, Destiny. When I went back to the last post before J.D. Salinger and it's wasn't there or I didn't bring it down to the last post. I like Zelda.

I'm sorry about that, I didn't see your last post, Destiny. When I went back to the last post before J.D. Salinger and it's wasn't there or I didn't bring it down to the last post. I like Zelda.
No harm done, its been a very busy week. I know what you mean so did I.

Famed film editor struck, killed by car in NYC
Jan 30, 8:21 PM (ET)
By CRISTIAN SALAZAR

NEW YORK (AP) - An award-winning film editor who worked on many of Errol Morris' documentaries, including "The Fog of War," was struck and killed by a getaway car speeding from a Manhattan drugstore robbery, police and her mother said on Saturday.

Karen Schmeer was crossing Broadway at West 90th Street on the Upper West Side on Friday when she was struck by a car driven by two suspects in the theft of over-the-counter medication from a CVS drugstore a few blocks away, police said.

Her mother, Eleanor DuBois Schmeer, confirmed the film editor's death. Schmeer was an editor for Morris' documentaries as well as other works, including "Sergio," which won a best-editing award last year at the Sundance Film Festival. The movie is about Sergio de Mello, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights killed in a 2003 explosion at U.N. headquarters in Iraq.

"She was just extremely loved by many, many friends," said Schmeer's mother, from her home in Portland, Ore., where her daughter was born.
Morris wrote on his Twitter feed that Schmeer's death was a "senseless tragedy."

Lt. John Grimpel said the driver of the car has been arrested on a murder charge shortly after Friday's crash. Schmeer was pronounced dead at St. Luke's Hospital.

On Saturday, police were still looking for a passenger who fled from the car as well as a third suspect.

Although Schmeer's last listed address was in Boston, her mother said she was living in an apartment on the Upper West Side when she was killed.

In addition to editing Morris' Academy Award-winning documentary film, "The Fog of War," which profiled former Secretary of Defense Robert MacNamara, Schmeer worked as editor on many of his other films. She also was an editor for "Sketches of Frank Gehry," directed by Sydney Pollack.

technically i should've got in a few hours earlier but hey. first off RIP to my old friend whose funeral i was at today. also, richey james edwards (manic street preachers) - disappeared and missing presumed dead (and legally dead i believe) since 1st feb 1995, whereever he is i hope he's happier than he was - i may not be a fan of the band anymore but i still think he was one of the coolest people ever and i still miss him a bit :)

Jazz musician Sir John Dankworth dies at 82

LONDON – Sir John Dankworth, the British jazz composer, saxophonist and band leader, has died. He was 82.
Jazz singer Dame Cleo Laine — who married Dankworth in 1958 after meeting during an audition for a spot with his band — announced her husband's death before the finale of an anniversary concert at The Stables, the theater they founded together.
Dankworth died Saturday in a London hospital after several months illness.

Leaves behind his wife, and a son, Alec, and daughter Jacqui.

For more click link above

Rep. John Murtha, voice for veterans, dies at 77

HARRISBURG, Pa. – Rep. John Murtha, the tall, gruff-mannered former Marine who became the de facto voice of veterans on Capitol Hill and later an outspoken and influential critic of the Iraq War, died Monday following complications from gallbladder surgery. He was 77.
Rep. Bob Brady, a longtime friend, said the late congressman's large intestine was damaged during surgery and an infection led him to be hospitalized with a fever.
"There will never be another Jack Murtha," Brady said. "He went out on top of his game."
The Pennsylvania Democrat died at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, Va., where he was admitted on Jan. 31. The gallbladder surgery was performed days earlier at the National Naval Medical Center, in Bethesda, Md., which didn't immediately return messages seeking comment.

Survivors include his wife of nearly 55 years, Joyce, and three children.

For More (on the above) Click The Link Above.

Other Links:
Pa. Dem Murtha remembered as military advocate & Congressman: Murtha's intestine damaged in surgery

Two, RIP articles.

Former Texas Rep. Charlie Wilson dies at 76

Former Democratic Rep. Charles Wilson of Texas, whose support for anti-Soviet forces in Afghanistan inspired the 2007 movie "Charlie Wilson's War," died Wednesday at age 76.

The 12-term congressman, who served the state's second congressional district, had been in a meeting Wednesday morning with a friend when he complained of difficulty breathing, said Yana Ogletree, a spokeswoman for Memorial Medical Center in Lufkin.

Wilson is survived by his wife, Barbara Alberstadt Wilson, a sister, a niece and a nephew.

Brilliant designer Alexander McQueen found dead

Brilliant and controversial British fashion designer Alexander McQueen was found dead in his London home Thursday, his company said, after anguished Internet postings that revealed his deep sorrow at the death of his mother. He was 40 years old.
Police said his death was not being treated as suspicious. McQueen's representatives would not confirm British media reports that he had committed suicide.

For More From Each Article Click Link Provided.

Three to RIP

Stuntman and actor Bobby Hoy dies at 82

LOS ANGELES – Bobby Hoy, a stuntman and actor known for his way with horses in Westerns like "Bonanza" and "The High Chaparral," has died. He was 82.

His wife, Kiva, tells the Los Angeles Times that Hoy died Monday of cancer at Northridge Hospital Medical Center.

From 1949 to 2005, Hoy acted and performed stunts in more than 150 productions, including the films "Spartacus," "Operation Petticoat" and "The Defiant Ones."

Hoy co-founded the Stuntmen's Assn. of Motion Pictures, which helped professionalize stunts, according to its Web site.

Besides Kiva, his wife of 22 years, Hoy is survived by a son, Christopher.

---------------

Lucille Clifton, award-winning poet, dies at 73

BALTIMORE – Lucille Clifton, a National Book Award-winning poet and Pulitzer finalist, has died. She was 73.

Clifton's sister, Elaine Philip of Buffalo, N.Y., said the former poet laureate of Maryland passed away Saturday morning at Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Baltimore.

Philip said the cause of death was unclear but Clifton was hospitalized for an infection last week at a hospital in Columbia, Md., before being transferred to Baltimore.

The native of Depew, N.Y., won the National Book Award in 2000 for "Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems 1988-2000." She was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 1988.

Survivors include three daughters, a son and three grandchildren.

-------ETA-----

Dick Francis, thriller writer and ex-jockey, dies

LONDON – Dick Francis, the best-selling British thriller writer and former champion jockey, died on Sunday in his home in the Cayman Islands. He was 89.

Francis is survived by his two sons as well as five grandchildren and one great-grandson, Cairns said. A small funeral will be held at Francis' home on Grand Cayman, followed by a memorial service in London, she said, but could not say when they would be held.

For More Click Link.

Last edited:
Back