The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

The Knack lead singer Doug Fieger dies
Feb 14, 7:21 PM (ET)

WOODLAND HILLS, Calif. (AP) - Doug Fieger, leader of the power pop band
The Knack who sang on the 1979 hit "My Sharona," died Sunday. He was 57.

Fieger, a Detroit-area native, died at his home in Woodland Hills near Los
Angeles after battling cancer, according to The Knack's manager, Jake
Hooker.

Fieger formed The Knack in Los Angeles 1978, and the group quickly became
a staple of Sunset Strip rock clubs. A year later he co-wrote and sang
lead vocals on "My Sharona."

Fieger said the song, with its pounding drums and exuberant vocals, was
inspired by a girlfriend of four years.

"I had never met a girl like her - ever," he told The Associated Press in
a 1994 interview. "She induced madness. She was a very powerful presence.
She had an insouciance that wouldn't quit. She was very self-assured. ...
She also had an overpowering scent, and it drove me crazy."

"My Sharona," an unapologetically anthemic rock song, emerged during
disco's heyday and held the No. 1 spot on the Billboard pop chart for six
weeks, becoming an FM radio standard.

It became a pop culture phenomenon, parodied by Weird Al Yankovic and
others and sampled by rap group Run DMC.

In 1994, "My Sharona" re-entered the Billboard chart when it was released
as a single from the soundtrack of the Ben Stiller film "Reality Bites."

"My Sharona" gained attention again in 2005 when it was reported that
George W. Bush had the song on the presidential iPod.

Their songs, about young love and teenage lust, included the hits "Good
Girls Don't,""She's So Selfish" and "Frustrated."

The Knack continued to release albums and tour through the mid-2000s but
they never replicated the success they enjoyed with their first two
albums, "Get the Knack" and "... But the Little Girls Understand."

Fieger battled cancer for six years. In 2006 he underwent surgery to
remove two tumors from his brain.

He is survived by a sister, Beth Falkenstein, and a brother, attorney
Geoffrey Fieger of Southfield, Mich., who is best known for representing
assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian.

A Los Angeles memorial service for friends and family is being planned.

Jim Bibby, who threw no-hitter in '73 and won World Series ring in '79, dies in Va. at age 65
12:32 p.m. EST, February 17, 2010

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) — Former major league pitcher Jim Bibby has died. He was 65.

Community Funeral Home in Lynchburg said Wednesday that Bibby died Tuesday night at Lynchburg General Hospital. The cause was not disclosed. The family asked for privacy but said a statement would be released later.

Bibby played 12 years in the majors and pitched the first no-hitter in Texas Rangers history, beating Oakland 6-0 in 1973. He was a member of the Pittsburgh team that won the 1979 World Series, starting two games against Baltimore — including the deciding seventh game.

He also played for St. Louis and Cleveland during his major league years from 1972 to 1984.

Kathryn Grayson, star of '40s, '50s musicals, dies

LOS ANGELES – Kathryn Grayson, whose beauty and lilting soprano voice brightened such popular MGM musicals of the 1940s and '50s as "Anchors Aweigh," "Show Boat" and "Kiss Me Kate," has died. She was 88.

Grayson died Wednesday at her Los Angeles home, the actress' longtime secretary and companion, Sally Sherman, told The Associated Press.

"She just went to sleep and didn't wake up," Sherman said Thursday.

---

She is survived by her daughter [Patricia Towers] and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Sherman said no funeral service is planned.

For More On This Story See Link Provided.

Alexander Haig, former secretary of state, dies
Feb 20, 11:32 AM (ET)
By ANNE GEARAN

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former Secretary of State Alexander Haig, a four-star general who served as a top adviser to three presidents and had presidential ambitions of his own, died Saturday of complications from an infection, his family said. He was 85.

Full story at http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20100220/D9E00SV80.html

Thank's Dynamo1 this man did many great things and was a wonderful person & was around all my life and he was so handsome for a war/politician guy, may he RIP~

Last edited:
Benson Actress Caroline McWilliams Dead at 64
Feb 22, 2010 07:12 PM ET
by Natalie Abrams, TV Guide online

Actress Caroline McWilliams died last week. She was 64 years old.

McWilliams, whose film and TV career spanned decades, died from complications of multiple myeloma, her family told the Los Angeles Times.

The actress is perhaps best known for playing Marcy opposite Robert Guillaume on the long-running sitcom Benson. She also appeared in recurring roles on Soap, Judging Amy and Beverly Hills, 90210. She began her career on Guiding Light.

McWilliams is survived by her son, Sean Douglas, from her marriage to actor Michael Keaton. The couple divorced in 1990.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ronald Howes, inventor of Easy-Bake Oven, dies at 83
Cincinnati.Com
Last Updated: 9:01 am | Friday, February 19, 2010

Millions of young girls – and at least some boys – baked their first
cookies, cupcakes and brownies because of Ronald Howes Sr.

A lifelong inventor whose creations ranged from high-tech defense weaponry
devices to electrostatic printers, Mr. Howes built an impressive resume
that will always be best known for the enormously popular toy that he
fathered nearly a half century ago: the Easy-Bake Oven.

As director of research and new product development for Cincinnati-based
Kenner Products in the early 1960s, Mr. Howes created what would become a
household name and one of America’s most iconic toys by drawing
inspiration from a Kenner salesman who had just made a trip to New York
City.

Upon returning, the salesman wondered aloud whether Kenner could develop a
toy version of the chestnut roasters seen on many New York City street
corners.

With that remark, the proverbial light bulb clicked on over Mr. Howes’ head.

“He started thinking about that and wondering how to create a safe version
of that for kids,” recalled Nancy Howes, his wife of 47 years, who met her
future husband at Kenner.

Some of his experimentation was conducted in the Howes’ own kitchen before
he and other Kenner engineers finally settled on the concept that made the
idea both safe and practical by deciding to use a light bulb to heat the
oven.

And the rest is toy industry history.

“Whenever someone brings up the subject, a woman always chimes in and
says, ‘Oh, I had one of those,’/” his wife said. “Everybody’s heard of the
Easy-Bake Oven.”

Mr. Howes, who lived in Anderson Township, died Tuesday. He was 83.

Last edited:
Some sad news for Star Trek fans. The body of Andrew Koenig, son of Walter Koenig, was found in Stanley Park in Vancouver after the younger Koenig went missing February 14th. Andrew Koenig 'Boner' on Growing Pains.

Andrew Koenig suffered from depression. He was 41 :(

Missing Actor's Body Found

Go Canada Go

Soure: E! Online

Marie Osmond's Son Commits Suicide

Marie Osmond's son, Michael Blosil, took his own life Friday night after leaping to his death from his Los Angeles apartment, E! News confirms.

The 18-year-old reportedly suffered from severe depression in recent years, leaving behind a note which detailed his plans to commit suicide. In it, Blosil explained his loneliness, stating that he felt as if he had no friends and simply did not fit in.

Osmond expressed her grief over the tragedy in a statement released Saturday evening: "My family and I are devastated and in deep shock by the tragic loss of our dear Michael and ask that everyone respect our privacy during this difficult time."

Back in 2007, Blosil, then age 16, entered a rehab facility for undisclosed treatment. At the
time, Osmond released a statement regarding her son, saying:
"My son Michael is an amazing young man, shown through his courage in facing his issues. As his mother, I couldn't be more proud of him," she said in a statement. "The press and public have always been kind and gracious in the past, and I know they will continue to respect our privacy during this time.

Blosil is one of Osmond and her music producing ex-husband Brian Blosil's seven children, five of which, including Michael, are adopted.

Prior to any public knowledge of Blosil's emotional issues, Marie fought back against National Enquirer claims that she herself had attempted suicide in 2006, and had been hospitalized in Utah.

Reps for both Marie and Donny Osmondhave yet to comment on their tragic loss, but Saturday morning her brother simply told Entertainment Tonight: "Please pray for my sister and her family."

While it is still being determined how long their hiatus will last, Osmond and her longtime performing partner and sibling have indefinitely canceled their Las Vegas show at the Flamingo Hotel.

Last edited:
I am going to double post only because this post is for those who were lost in the Earthquakes in Chile, and Argentina. If you wish to discuss this in general you can do so in Misc, as they have a thread up called "Earthquakes and Tsunami's".

Many lost in all this RIP!!!!

Mark Linkous, leader of Sparklehorse, dies at 47
Mar 8, 3:50 PM (ET)
By CHRIS TALBOTT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Mark Linkous, the singer-songwriter who released his music under the band name Sparklehorse, has died after shooting himself in the chest in Tennessee. He was 47.

Knoxville Police Department spokesman Darrell DeBusk said Linkous shot himself outside a friend's house around 1:20 p.m. Saturday with his own rifle. DeBusk said Linkous was staying with friends and became upset after receiving a text message.

Linkous' most recent work included collaborations with producer Danger Mouse and musician Christian Fennesz. He was working on the follow-up to 2006's "Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain" at the time of his death.

Linkous was popular in the indie music scene with a unique sound that was engaging, ethereal and hauntingly beautiful.

p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif
News of his death spread quickly on the Internet and was met with shock and sadness.

Radiohead bassist Colin Greenwood said on his blog he first met Linkous when Sparklehorse served as the opening act for the "OK Computer" tour in Europe.

"His first two records were very important to me, and I carried his music from the tour into my life, and my friends' lives too," Greenwood wrote. "... Mark wrote and played some beautiful music, and we're lucky to have it."
DeBusk said Linkous left no suicide note behind. The North Carolina-based artist was moving to Knoxville and staying with two friends, who told police Linkous was drinking and became upset after texting with an unknown person.

After saying he didn't want to talk about what was upsetting him, the friends said Linkous went upstairs for a short time, then left the house through a back door. A witness saw Linkous sit down nearby, take out his rifle, place it against his chest and pull the trigger.

Linkous' body was taken to the Knox County medical examiner, but it's unclear whether an autopsy will be performed, DeBusk said.

Linkous was a popular collaborator and respected artist who was a festival favorite. His highly anticipated album with Danger Mouse, "Dark Night of the Soul," had been held up by legal issues but was cleared for release soon. Filmmaker David Lynch recently released a companion book of photographs.

The artist's earlier albums included "Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot,""Good Morning Spider" and "It's a Wonderful Life," which featured contributions from Tom Waits and P.J. Harvey.

Linkous' manager, Shelby Meade, released a statement from his family: "We are thankful for his time with us and will hold him forever in our hearts. May his journey be peaceful, happy and free. There's a heaven and there's a star for you."

Source: Yahoo! News

'Lost Boys' actor Corey Haim dead in Burbank at 38

BURBANK, Calif. – The Los Angeles coroner's office says "The Lost Boys" actor Corey Haim is dead at 38.

Coroner's Lt. Cheryl MacWillie said Wednesday that Haim died at 2:15 a.m. at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank. She said an autopsy will determine the cause of death and there are no other details.

Canadian-born Haim became a teen heartthrob with the 1986 film "Lucas" and 1987's "The Lost Boys."

His first role was in the 1984 hit "Firstborn," in which he played a young child caught up in a family war. He then appeared in the 1985 television movie "A Time to Live."

In recent years, he appeared in the A&E reality TV show "The Two Coreys" with his friend Corey Feldman. It was canceled in 2008 after two seasons.

----
Source: TMZ

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ Corey Haim did indeed OD on drugs, and his mom is the one who discovered him in the apartment and called 911.

Although cause of death is premature, so far law enforcement is telling us it was "possibly accidental."

We're told LAPD has opened a death investigation.

Last edited:
Back