The photos of the day!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

Wolfsgamergirl
    + What a cool idea to take the picture in the mirror, I like that the frame of the mirror "frames" the picture.
    - not really a negative, just a question: What would you get if you changed the angle of the mirror? Would the picture change? What else is there to look at?

I like to take pictures of flowers, you all know this by now. The other thing I really like to take pictures of, zoo animals. Here is one of those. Two tiger cubs at a nearby zoo.

[​IMG]

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

^ To Amy: The mirror itself does not move as it was hit many years ago. The picture would have been of businesses in the downtown area, much like what is already there.

I understand you are curious, but does that mean you didn't like the subject in the photo? I'm trying to comprehend why you didn't put a negative....

Amy777
    + I like how the tigers are being attentive and one is being different formt he other. They really pop from where they are.
    - I know this isn't your fault as the zoo builds the habitats, but the surroundings are a bit plain.

Another snow in the road picture.

[​IMG]

3. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

wolfesgamergirl
    + I like how the trees are bordering the photo and I like how the cars are in the distance. I like them there but they don't take away from the picture.
    -Maybe you could have moved a bit over to the left. I think each side would have been more evenly balanced.

This is mine for today... It kind of has snow in it :lol:
    [​IMG]

4. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

to Wolfesgamergirl: I did not really see anything wrong with the picture. The subject was interesting, I thought the purpose of this was to become better photographers, I am learning in my own quest that often taking one large step one way or the other can drastically change a picture. That was all I was getting at.

WhosLaughingNow
    + I like how the checker board on the stone is mirrored by the checker board in the shoes. It creates a very interesting photo.
    - If you were to crop just a little bit so the frame of the picture were perfectly square just like the checker board in the stone, it would add one more dimension to the picture.

I have not posted a flower for some time so...

[​IMG]

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Yes a step one way or another does work in some cases. Though, I was inside the vehicle as shown by how my hand got in it.

WhosLaughingNow
    + The overall concept is quite unique. Job well done.
    - The edges with the snow and leaves is a bit distracting. Also perhaps cropping out the pants might have centered the focus on the checks.

Amy777
    + The coloring works very well against the darker background.
    - The edges of the Tulip are a bit fuzzy, but that's more likely the strain of seed used.

I was out taking a few more snow shots before the freezing set in.

[​IMG]

6. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

Wolfesgamergirl
    + I love all the pictures of snow; the tree is a very good subject. Good coloring, beautiful sky, I like the branches in front of the tree.
    - This would be a good subject to do a "photo merge" with. You have cut off the top of the tree, I keep trying to look up more.

Mine for today, I took this at the same zoo the tigers are at.

[​IMG]

7. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Actually that is how the top of the tree is, we had to top it off or it was going to get tangled in the power lines.

{b]Any777[/b]
    + I like how you caught the Eagle with his wings spread. Also that he pops from the bakground.
    - The lightness of the chain link fence are a bit distracting from the darkness of the Eagle.

I took this the other day. A nice throw back to the old days, a drive in. Carhops come out when it's a bit warmer. :)

[​IMG]

8. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

Wolfsgamergirl
    + Interesting picture, good contrast and different colors.
    - The scaffolding is kind of distracting.

Mine for the day

[​IMG]

9. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Amy777
    + The monarch and the flower pop nicely from the background.
    - There are a few too many leaves behind the subject.

More of thecat...at mom's request.

[​IMG]

10. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

I'd like to try this too.

Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Amy777
    + I like how the white of the flower helps to accent the white of the monarch's spots and at the same time helps oranges just "pop" right out at you.

-All the leaves behind the butterfly as well as the petals beneath him make the image seem a little busy.

wolfesgamergirl
    + I like how the coloring of everything else really makes the Cat's eyes pop.

- Unfortunately the lighting behind the cat is so bright that you're distracted from that at first.

Okay... now I'd like a turn if that's okay. If not... ignore me!

This was taken out back of Montecello. It was starting to rain and the view was stunning so I took the chance to snap a few shots. I don't use a digital camera... but I presume several of you use film too? I have another shot that I'm really proud of but it won't translate well so small.

ETA: This one doesn't translate well small either so if you click on the picture it'll link you to a bigger shot of it!

Thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

11. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

LLK
    Hey *waves*

Welcome to the thread, and you did everything right, so no worries there :)

+I really like green countryside (reminds me of when I was little) and this photo is beautiful. It's sharp all the way to the top of the hill and because the highest point is in the middle it's a good focus point.
    -The fence? in the right hand side of the photo is a litle distracting because it goes right up the picture, but that's all I can really say negative about it.

--I have to say, I could not for the life of me take a picture like that with a film camera, couldn't work one to say my life--

Here's one from me, I got a new camera for my birthday (just a standard point and shoot thingamajig but it takes pictures and that's all the matters :))

And these are my random crystals, and none of them seem to be working any magic with me recently so I threw them all together hoping they would work..still nothing hehe. but they made quite a nice picture.

[​IMG]

12. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

CalleighD
    + The colors are beautiful, the arrangement is nice. good job.
    - There is quite a bit of glare on the rocks from the lighting. An easy inexpensive remedy would be to cover the light with a white scarf or if you are using natural lighting, to cover the window with a white opaque shower curtain when you are taking "still life" pictures.

I know how it is with a "point and shoot" camera, I only have one, there are some simple things to help you that people who have the high hifalutin, expensive, SLR cameras don't have to do. You can have as good of pictures as they have. Oh and Happy Birthday!

Mine for today. Taken last spring at a tulip festival near where I live.

[​IMG]

13. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

LLK
    + I love the coloring and the countryside, very nice concept.
    - The fence on the right is a bit distracting form the bright colors. Perhaps a step to the left or right might have worked it better.

CalleighD
    + The coloring works very well, as done the placement of the colors.
    - Since the stones are centered it would have been easier to just focus on them, the surrondings are plain and slightly distracting since the subject is centered.

Amy777
    + The coloring and concept are very nice. the green is subdued to the reds, yellows, and purples pop.
    - There's a slight glare on the Tulips themselves, makes them a bit hard to look at.

Another in the mirror photo from me. :)

[​IMG]

14. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

Wolfsgamergirl
    + The concept is very interesting, and I always like snow pictures.
    - The main focus is on the tree in the middle perhaps you could have backed up further so the building were the main focus?

Mine for today. Last Christmas my family stayed on a lake, this is a lake about 8 hours from my home.

[​IMG]

15. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

The tree is slightly off center, and to get it completely off center I would have had to be in the middle of a very busy road. So I was happy to be where I was with my slightly off center tree.

Amy777
    + I like the mix of snow and birds. Works very well together.
    - Might have worked better if this was two seperate photos. The eye has an issue of choosing between the sky and the lake, so perhaps one of the bottom half and the other with the top half.

I was bored at work on my break and was taking photos of different things.

[​IMG]