The Locker Room #12 - Real Men Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, I liked that he cooled down a lot. Think of it as a way for the writers to bring down the intensity so they can build it up again (or even more) for something big in the coming season. (Like a total emotional meltdown.)

Think of it this way too: if we were given dramatic, screamy Danny every single episode ... it'd get boring real quick, wouldn't it? Moderation is the key to keeping it fresh. :D

^That works in real life, but on television, calm, even-tempered Danny just isn't as interesting as emotional basketcase Danny.

Both KimmyChu and Top41 have excellent points...

I'm sure both type of Dannys have their legions of fans..

We all began with a emo Danny in season one,come to a calm Danny in season two and for upcoming seasons,like Kimmy said ,we may have something big in store for us..

But the old-timers,like Top41,are used to seeing a Danny flare very often...

Either way,Danny still remains a mystery to be solved...

i like that danny is unpredictable but like Top said, "even-tempered Danny just isn't as interesting as emotional basketcase Danny." if indeed there's going to be a big emotional meltdown on danny's part in season 3, which i doubt, then perhaps stoic danny was justified. but if it was like lookaboomerang said, we'd have to see some kind of effort going in to being emotionally reserved. i think, to be satisfied with that theory, i'd need to see him struggling to get a grip on his feelings, and overcome them slowly rather than all of a sudden have full control over his emotions.

^ I agree on that point about Danny and his emotions. I just have a problem with him doing a complete 180 on his character. It should be an ongoing process, if that is what the writers are trying to portray here. Of course, emotional basketcase Danny is the character I like, and that has won my viewership.

I wouldn't mind if Danny toned it down a little. But not to this degree. When did they replace Danny with the pod person? His "drama queen" tendancies made for great moments.

Think of it this way too: if we were given dramatic, screamy Danny every single episode ... it'd get boring real quick, wouldn't it? Moderation is the key to keeping it fresh. :D
Exactly KimmyChu. If he was dramatic and screamy every week, I'd begin to think that he had some sort of chemical imbalance, which we all know he doesn't...sorta. :lol: I think we'll still get to see Danny lose his mind every now and again, when something really bothers him, and I'll welcome that. But, Carmine did say that they're preparing Danny for a huge step in his maturity. He's got to begin showing Mac that he can handle being in charge and still keep his head and emotions intact. I like to see Danny have his little freak outs, just because Carmine does it so well and shows that the crunchy exterior he has is also paired with a good heart but I also like to have that sense of pride for my favorite CSI when he does the right thing and Mac shows he's pleased with him.

ThumpyG said:
^ I agree on that point about Danny and his emotions. I just have a problem with him doing a complete 180 on his character. It should be an ongoing process, if that is what the writers are trying to portray here. Of course, emotional basketcase Danny is the character I like, and that has won my viewership.

Exactly. I don't mind him maturing--it's got to happen sooner or later--but I wish it wasn't happening quite so fast. If the events in "On the Job" were such a wake up call for him, why didn't we see that in that episode or a subsequent one? "On the Job" was fantastic, but at the end of the episode I wasn't convinced that Danny learned his lesson, especially when a few episodes later he was avoiding his psych eval ("What You See...").

So what do you think was the catalyst for the big change?

Top41 said:

Easy. Flack finally showed him his special way of dancing the horizontal tango. Bound to make any hyperactive CSI slow down some. Not to mention waddle like a duck.

Whoops. Wrong thread.

:devil: :lol: :)

Kimmychu said:
Top41 said:

Easy. Flack finally showed him his special way of dancing the horizontal tango. Bound to make any hyperactive CSI slow down some. Not to mention waddle like a duck.

Whoops. Wrong thread.

LMAO! Maybe all Danny really needed was a good hard ... :devil: :devil: :devil:

My guess is that the writers decided to have Danny grow up a bit because if he continued taking matters into his own hands and behaving like a child, Mac would have no choice but to let him go. They seem to have made Danny a little more level-headed and smoothed over the conflict with Mac so as to avoid going down that road. Personally, I prefer the emotional rollar coaster with Danny because it's what makes the character so compelling.

Kimmychu said:

Whoops. Wrong thread.

Now that theory I will definitely buy. :D The waddle is canon proof after all. ;)

I do love how Danny is much calmer around Flack. He's not really like that with anyone else. I bought the calmer Danny in some of the later eps when he was paired up with Flack, because Flack seems to be able to put him at ease with jokes (like in BST and Trapped). That, and the hot sex. ;) :devil:

MrsGiovinazzo said:
LMAO! Maybe all Danny really needed was a good hard ... :devil: :devil: :devil:

If there is one thing that's certain, it's that Danny needs exactly that. :lol: :devil:

My guess is that the writers decided to have Danny grow up a bit because if he continued taking matters into his own hands and behaving like a child, Mac would have no choice but to let him go. They seem to have made Danny a little more level-headed and smoothed over the conflict with Mac so as to avoid going down that road. Personally, I prefer the emotional rollar coaster with Danny because it's what makes the character so compelling.

I can see that--especially with Aiden's firing happening early in the season. Mac doesn't mess around, and he seems to have already cut Danny a lot of slack. I can see them not butting heads in every episode, but I really do like it when they do clash, and think it should happen every so often. I liked the brief flare up in "Heroes" when Mac had to physically restrain Danny from going after the guy whose car Aiden was found in. It's moments like that--balanced out by eps like RSRD, where it's obvious how much Mac cares for Danny--that I really enjoy the hell out of. Dramatic Danny is entertaining Danny.

Just to piggyback others comments here, it does make sense for the writers to make Danny a little more mature, not only for his character, but to get back on the promotion grid. As much as dramatic, childish Danny is more fun, mature, level-headed Danny is the one who will get the promotion. Danny had to mature at some point, I just hope *crosses fingers* that the writers don't completely derail from some of Danny's orginal characteristics.

ThumpyG said:
Just to piggyback others comments here, it does make sense for the writers to make Danny a little more mature, not only for his character, but to get back on the promotion grid. As much as dramatic, childish Danny is more fun, mature, level-headed Danny is the one who will get the promotion. Danny had to mature at some point, I just hope *crosses fingers* that the writers don't completely derail from some of Danny's orginal characteristics.

I hear that! I like that Danny is serious sometimes, but I don't want him to stop being funny completly. That would be terrible for him to completely abandon his original charater.

csi_fanatic87 said:
ThumpyG said:

I hear that! I like that Danny is serious sometimes, but I don't want him to stop being funny completly. That would be terrible for him to completely abandon his original charater.

Amen to that!!

Sorry to go off track but I was wondering what Danny would look like if he had darker hair...kinda like a deep chestnut brown shade. I think if he got a bit more of a tan he could pull it off 'cause dark hair+light eyes+tanned skin=hotness. Pink would really look good on him too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back