The Last Movie You Saw - Thread 4

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, May 4, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Hey Baba I run an ateam board, can I use your review, don't worry I can give any name you want me to as a review from a movie fan?

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

2012- I ffwd a lot through this movie. LOL. the majority of it was boring. it took forever to get one scene over with and move on to the next scene. The special effects were good, but than that... I definitely would not watch this movie a second time.

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Go crazy. You can use my name, or whatever works for you. :)

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Awesome thank you for that.

5. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

I just saw The Last Airbender. I feel ripped off. I want my money back. I'm a huge fan of the show, and they did a terrible job of trying to condense it. It's not that they left things out. It's that they did an awful job with writing the condensed version. I won't give spoilers because in some of the promos they showed this. They didn't even pronounce the names right. How can you mispronounce a name that's been spoken in a show? Anyway, I read a review of the movie and I agree that they can change the name to "The Last Fail-bender"

6. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

The Men Who Stare at Goats
    Very funny, very weird, and kind of sweet, too. It has Ewan McGregor and George Clooney in it, and Robert Patrick (my second favourite actor) has a little part in it too.
    If you like cats though, beware of the scene with the kitten.:(
    Basically there's a bit where the Russians are testing animals to see if they have psychic abilities and they take this kitten and burn it with a lit cigarette to see if it's mother can sense it's in pain. As a character in the film says 'sick bast*rds'!

Twilight: New Moon
    I really enjoyed it. It's one of those things I expected to hate but actually enjoyed.

Stand by Me
    My favourite film ever! I have the DVD and have watched it loads of times, it's just so good!

The Secret Life of Bees
    I enjoyed it, and it was interesting seeing an older Dakota Fanning, last time I saw her in something she was about 9, I think.

7. BabaOReilly

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Well, I found the book to be so-so, so I guess it makes sense that I found the movie so-so, as well. I'm still not quite sure what all the fuss is about over this one, but I hear that the books get better, so I'll probably read the second one eventually, and I think the 2nd movie has already been out in Europe... maybe I'll see it. :lol:

It wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't all the rage I ecxpected it to be. I wonder how different the American version will be?

8. BabaOReilly

Just saw Toy Story 3 and I thought it was pretty awesome. And I balled my way through the ending! :lol: My friend was teareyed as well, so I didn't feel that bad about it! :lol: Anyway, it was a fitting end to the series, and they did an excellent job with it. If you enjoyed the others, then you'll probably really like this one. But be forewarned, there are some things in there that would probably scare smaller kids, and some stuff that's plenty creepy for adults too. :eek:

Now, it may be because I had pretty low expectations for this one, but I watched Hot Tub Time Machine, and I found it reasonably amusing! Not brilliant by any means, but I still found myself entertained overall, so that ain't half bad. Maybe aiming low is the trick with these comedies... ;)

9. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

The Thomas Crowne Affair (Pierce Brosnan/Renee Russo). One of the few remakes I thought was better than the original. And it had the original's female lead, Faye Dunnaway, as Crown's psychiatrist. Wonderful homage. I know, cute and romantic (like The American President which I loved, too), but sometimes you just need a smart storyline with a happy ending...

10. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

The Lovely Bones
    I really enjoyed it. I think they kept pretty close to the book and handled the 'heaven' stuff very well. The actors were very well cast as well.

11. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

The Answer Man. A man writes a book named ''Me and God'' and people think he has all the answers. And then he met a woman... Jeff Daniels is great and why always i confuse him with Jeff Bridges?

Devour. A horror movie staring Jensen Ackles! Everthing was real? Or just a computer game? Or both? Or just happened in his mind? Watch and learn :p Jensen's acting is ok except that ''noaaargh!'' in the end.:guffaw:

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Law Abiding Citizen
    Starring Gerard Butler (yum) and Jamie Foxx. Gerard Butler is a man called Clark whose wife and daughter are murdered in a home invasion. Foxx plays Nick, the prosecutor who makes a deal with one of the killers (the more brutal and vicious of the two) to testify against the other one, in exchange for a reduced sentence. He does this partly because he isn't sure he would win a trial, and partly to ensure that both men are punished to some degree (rather than risk them both walking away scot-free from a trial if he doesn't win). This pisses off Clark, who is sure they could have won a trial.
    10 years later, Clark still feels cheated, because the thug who made the deal is out of jail. So he decides to take revenge, on everyone involved in the case. He kills the thug, and though Nick knows he did it, there's no solid evidence. Clark tells Nick that unless he fixes the flawed justice system that let his family's killer off too lightly, he will kill everyone who had anything to do with the deal.

Gerard Butler was great in it, but the movie was a bit of a let down for me because I found it hard to sympathize with Nick, the prosecutor. While his intentions in making the deal are at least partly good in that he wants to try and ensure both thugs are punished rather than risk them walking, there's also the implication that his intentions in making the deal were also career-based. Also, he swears quite a bit in the movie, which would be fine except he sounds ridiculous when he does it. You know how there are characters and actors who can swear, and it sounds fine, but there are others who swear and it just sounds ridiculous? Butler/Clark swears in the film too, and it sounds fine, but to me, when Nick/Foxx did it, it just sounded silly and stupid. I'm not sure whether it's the character who can't swear (clean cut, middle class lawyer-type) or Foxx. I think it's probably the character. It sounds like it would if bloody Tinky Winky came on screen and said 'E'oh, motherf**ker' only with Tinky Winky it would actually be kinda funny.

The Tomb of Ligeia.
    An adaptation of an Edgar Allan Poe story. Very creepy in places, but not as good as other 'oldie' horror films I've seen.

It's about a man called Verden Fell (yes, really) whose wife Ligeia dies. But he can't accept she's dead. Until he meets Rowena, and falls in love with her. They get married and move into the creepy, old abbey where he lives and in the grounds of which Ligeia is buried (very 'Poe', that part). Soon both begin to suspect Ligeia is haunting the place, and that she is NOT happy about her husband remarrying. Oh, and there's an evil cat!

A good film, creepy in parts, but nowhere near as good as other oldie horror films like Tales from the Crypt.

13. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i saw "The Last Airbender" and i don't care what anyone says, but i really enjoyed it.

i'm also a big fan of the show but i knew not to compare the two. i decided the best way to go with this one is to watch it as it is a movie BASED of the show and not an exact replica. the only problem i had with it was Nicola Peltz as Katara. i didn't think she did a good job i thought she overacted a bit, so hopefully she tones it down for the next film. Dev Patel as Zuko was amazing, i thought he was brilliant in this role. Noah Ringer as Aang was a suprising treat. i thought that he did a good job as Aang but i would have preferred the movie Aang would have been more light-hearted instead of a depressed and scared kid.

anyways i thought the graphics were great. i really enjoyed the Firebenders. i'm not saying that the movie is perfect, but it was entertaining for me. i'm sure Shyamalan(if thats how its spelled) can do better. it was good but it could've been sooo much better. i hope that i get to see the Kyoshi Warriors for Book Two: Earth.

14. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

Vertige/High Lane. I liked it. Five friends decides to have a vacation together in the mountains. The mountain trip turns in to a nightmare. First you think it is all started accidently or because of some natural causes but is it? And of course also it has to be a damn love triangle between the friends and of course one of them has a secret and of course the other... :p

I liked most the mountains2s acting, beatiful view...

15. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I saw Toy Story 3 yesterday ... I'm not really a cartoon fan, but I remember seeing Toy Story when it first came to theaters and thought I would go watch it. The character of Ken really irked me ... but other than that, I liked the movie. I cried during the end of it :lol: and it's kind of funny, but I had one of the Lotso Hugging bears :lol: I have a lot of my toys from when I was a kid, I can't give a select few away. But with me, it's the ones that my dad gave me personally that I have a problem letting go of :( so in a way I can relate to not wanting to get rid of them.