The International Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gaelen, Apr 15, 2008.

?

Where In The World Are You?

1. North America

26.1%
  2. South America

0.9%
  3. Europe

58.3%
  4. Asia

8.7%
  5. Australasia

2.6%
  6. Africa

1.7%
  7. Antarctica

1.7%
  1. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

nattybatty nattybatty who?!?! :lol:

I'm here :p Dont worry i've updated the list :D Being English I dont have any wiern translations to share :lol: So im keeping my lurking seat warm :D

2. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

Thank you nattybatty :D

Now when I think of it, I would miss those little (and not so little) idiocies you can spot watching translated films :lol:

nattybatty wrote:
    hmmm, I know the whole world speaks English ;) but there are stiil some French or German movies, so don't lose hope you wil see a 'great' translation sooner or later :lol:

3. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

:lol: This thread is really fantastic! It's so funny. I always thought only in Germany they do this weird translations. How wrong I was with that! :lol: I know, sometimes the translations are driving me crazy here, but I couldn't really imagine TV without them. But I think it'd be a nice way to improve your English if they'd show the original shows and movies here as well. I know so many people who have problems with English, and I'm sure it'd help them. Well, as long as the subtitles aren't completely wrong. :lol:

4. NZGirly

NZGirly Police Officer

Oh cool!! I remember this thread back in CSI:NY!:thumbsup:
    Good times good times

Man we fans come from everywhere!!!! Its really cool :D :D
    Nice to see the New Zealand list is big too:p

5. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

You don't need to look far:lol:

I watched once all movie in German. I was totally bored and on German channel was Stargate (movie). And yeah, I'll repeat that, I watched it!:lol: I can only say that I was a very big fan of Stargate so I didn't need to understand what they said there. I just knew:lol:

6. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

:lol: It must be so confusing. What also confuses me sometimes are the titles. Movie titles and TV show titles- it happened more than once that I had no idea which movie people were talking about when they mentioned the original titles. When I talk about CSI:NY episodes, I only use the English titles, because 1) I don't know the German ones and 2) they don't fit.

It's amazing that everywhere people are watching CSI, CSI:Miami or CSI:NY. I think, this shows how fantastic the shows are.

7. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Very confusing! Kurt Russell talking in German:lol: Oh, few years ago I watched also Stargate: SG-1 on German TV. But I was really desperate - no new epis in Polish channels. Did I mention that I totally didn't understand the show?:guffaw:

Even in Poland translating CSI titles would never happen:lol:

Agree with last state. It's great to see how many people are watching CSI around the world:)

8. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

oh wow, Polish discussion going on! never thought i'd live to this day ;) pozdrawiam z Trójmiasta!

9. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Life can be sometimes so surprising, don't you think?:lol:

I hope you'll stay with us here;)

Szczecinianka (zostajemy przy portach i stoczniach:lol:) serdecznie pozdrawia mieszkankę Trójmiasta;)
    Musisz z nami zostać, nie masz wyboru;)

10. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

it is, it is.

i don't really post much on the our local forum cuz there is much more going on here. and besides, talking about CSI in any other language than english always sounded weird to me. it's like reading a fic in polish *shudders* lol. but maybe it's just me.

ah Szczecin, pamiętam kiedy ostatnio tam byłam. zzz ... 5 lat temu chyba ;)

11. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

It is definitely a great way to practise any language if there's no dubbing or lector, just subtitles. Probably easier to pick up accent too. Well, we don't have that chance <shrugs>

Are there any Poles from the south? I feel isolated :lol: Pozdrowienia z Gór Świętokrzyskich :)

Not only you, I also prefer discussing CSI in English. Some other language would be just... strange :lol:

12. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

I agree with you 100%! :lol: It's really true. I have only one friend who watches CSI:NY as well, and it always feels weird to talk to her about it in German. Especially because she doesn't know about the English version. I don't know why, but it's much easier, and much more fun, to talk about it in English.

13. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

We can take DVD and take a subtitels option. But of course my favourite movies are without English subtitels. That's for my very annoying 'cause both productions are Irish ("The Wind That Shakes The Barley" and "Breakfast On Pluto") and I don't understand their accent very well.

You don't need to feel like that:lol: Szczecinianka pozdrawia mieszkańca Gór Świętokrzyskich prosto znad Zalewu Szczecińskiego;) (żeby nie było wątpliwości - Szczecin nie jest nad morzem:lol:)

:lol: Totally understand. English is the only language in which we can talk about CSI;)

14. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

I used to borrow DVDs (English movies of course) and watch them with English subtitles on :lol:

I understand your pain, we watched a documentary on football during our culture classes and there was a Scot talking... the whole group was like: :wtf: :confused: ??? it wasn't easy to make out what he was saying :lol:

15. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

yeah, it's a common practice for people who understand the language but have a bit of a trouble when the characters speak fast or have weird accents. all my Latino friends do it, and i have to admit i've switched that option on a few times too ;)