The International Thread

Where In The World Are You?

• Total voters
Well Dutch is close to German so butterkekse not difficult...

What always amuses me, we have this one official dictionary, Finnish-English-Finnish and when you searc word näkkileipä (crispbread) it's translated as "knäckebröd", which is swedish word for crispbread :lol: It's been there for years so it's not just silly mistake :p

Since I'm the only Belgian around here :)cool:), Butterkekse is not a Dutch word. The closest thing I can think of is the word 'boterkoek' (-ske being a dialect diminutive).

Boterkoek in Belgium is this:
belgischeboterkoek.jpg

Boterkoek in Holland is this:
hollandseboterkoek.jpg

Hope I helped you solve the Butterkekse mystery ;)

I love 'Boterkoek'. I haven't eaten that stuff in ages. I should go to the store and buy it.

Dutch and German may look similar, but that can be tricky! Some words look similar but have such different meanings. If I were to have my German course book (unfortunately, my books are at school - holidays) with me, I'd have looked it up.

LOL the 'Butterkekse' discussion caught my attention :lol:
OK, I'm also from Germany so I don't know if the translation is really correct, but 'Butterkekse' should be translated in - surprise! - 'Butter Cookies'
They are a bit different from 'Boterkoek' (though these look yummy! *is hungry*), they are plain cookies made with puff paste.

Piccies!

Since I'm the only Belgian around here :)cool:), Butterkekse is not a Dutch word. The closest thing I can think of is the word 'boterkoek' (-ske being a dialect diminutive).

Boterkoek in Belgium is this:
belgischeboterkoek.jpg

Boterkoek in Holland is this:
hollandseboterkoek.jpg

Hope I helped you solve the Butterkekse mystery ;)

Thanks Hush, now I'm hungry (first ones are my favourite)... and I don't have any cookies in my house:lol: Even normal butter cookies... I'm too lazy to go to shop now:lol:

^^^^I agree, You've all made me hungry :lol:

Ok, as we've already started in the direction of 'our' country's food. Maybe we should all give examples of food from where we live :D

Nattybatty, that's great idea:D And it makes me think about dinner:lol: Well, here's dinner time but usually I don't eat it... I hate cooking:lol:

Very traditional Polish dinner: chop pork, potatoes and salad... stereotype:lol:

Some Polish dishes are very similar with those ones from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine. Well, I think that our menus are very similar.

Pancakes (in Polish naleśniki, in Russian bliny) - very different than ones from Sates. They're thin, we eat it in many variants - sweet are with jam, cottage cheese (I eat it usually for breakfast and poured with sour cream and sugar). For dinner with cottage and mushrooms or pâté. Difference between Polish and Russian pancakes is simple - Polish are from normal milk and Russian are from sour milk. Both options I really like. I know that in France pancakes people makes with water (for me scandal! Pancakes with water!:lol:). Pancakes are very popular almost everywhere but their roots are from East (I guess, I'm not an expert, maybe someone know more about it).

Bigos - and that's very Polish:lol: It's boiled sauerkraut with mushrooms, pieces of meat (sausage, bacon etc.). Trick with this dish is that you must boil it many times. And not only twice or thrice! The best bigos is after tenfold boiling (well, that's my personal opinion). We had small problem with bigos (and also with soup which we call kapuśniak, it's from sauerkraut and it's very very sour) - EU wanted to not boil food more than once or twice. And Poles were angry cause bigos or kapuśniak must be boil many times. I'm not sure about this regulation - maybe it's valid. But here in Poland we don't care:lol:

Pierogi (dumplings) - my absolutely favourite! Polish, Russian, Finnish (karjalanpiirakka, I'm not sure which letter must be double in last word after karjalan), Czech (knedle in Polish, in Czech maybe knedlicki, but I'm not sure) - with blackberries and cream (yummie), Lithuanian (cepeliny - my grandma makes the best, they're big, with cottage cheese and pieces of onion, it's hard for me to eat half of it:lol:)

We have much more but those ones I really like. Maybe someone is hungry?:guffaw:

Food from where we live. I love trying different foods :)

In Canada we have a mixed bag of foods. I grew up on food that had a strong British flavour as my grandparents were from England. So Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding meals were a favourite and still are :)

Some truly Canadian food would be Nanaimo Bars. This is a very sweet dessert name for the city in British Columbia where they originated. Butter Tarts is another Canadian food that originated in Thunder Bay, Ontario in the early 1900's.

Well, I must admit than apart from dumplings and pancakes I’m not fond of traditional Polish cuisine – it’s all about meat and fat and I hate it :lol:

Well, BIGOS is probably the best known Polish dish but I guess that BARSZCZ is equally important :) In English it’s borsch or borscht and it’s essentially made from beetroot, but often some other ingredients are added. During Christmas Eve feast, barszcz is often the first course and it’s served with USZKA (English translation: little ears :lol:) those are small dumplings with mushroom or sauerkraut filling. Btw, bigos is also eaten during Christmas but as there’s meat in it, it’s usually the Second Day.

Thought some pictures would be nice:

bigos:

bigos.jpg

and barszcz with uszka :):

barszcz.jpg

Well, unfortunately we have also FLACZKI (tripe), it’s a kind of soup with…. hmm, certain elements from animals’ stomachs (yuk!) I’ll spare you the picture :p

VODKA is not a dish, but I feel it needs to be mentioned :thumbsup:

haha, we Polish people love to talk about our traditional food.
VODKA is not a dish, but I feel it needs to be mentioned
it's not a dish, it's the main dish, lol. and that reminds me of Redd's, the best beer in the whole wide world. apple beer that is.
Lithuanian (cepeliny - my grandma makes the best, they're big, with cottage cheese and pieces of onion, it's hard for me to eat half of it)
i've been to Lithuania last summer and i ate their pancakes. dear LORD, i died happy.

Pierogi (dumplings) - my absolutely favourite! Polish, Russian, Finnish (karjalanpiirakka, I'm not sure which letter must be double in last word after karjalan)

Ah wrote that just right! I just love those... little butter on them and in (microwave)oven and... oh so good! I don't know are ours how different, because I know those are proteced by European Union. Of course there's many versions of those... filled with rice, filled with potatoes etc.

Did someone say vodka? Ah, also so Finnish thing and one of the most known brand, Finlandia Vodka! (even it was sold to goddamn americans)

Jacquie, those Nanaimo bars... I bought book Chocolate! (original is French Je veux du chocolat!) by Trish Deseine and there is Naomi Bars. Very similar ones and I just made those few times... of course the problem is you cannot find real custard in here so had to improvise a bit :lol:

As for Finnish foods, my fave is our traditional food Karelian Stew.

As for eating something and dying happy... My week in Belgium, Brussels and waffles with cream and strawberries. Or just waffles.

I'm Dutch but my family is German, Ukraine, Russian, Slavic...and I love Hungarian goulash (Gulyás in Hungarian), Krautwickel (German dish) and a Dutch kroket :D

kroket.jpg

On the picture, the long one is the kroket, the 'little ball' is a bitterbal.

Did someone say vodka? Ah, also so Finnish thing and one of the most known brand, Finlandia Vodka! (even it was sold to goddamn americans)

My mate always goes on about that, her mothers Finnish and she loves the traditional stuff her mum does with them its nice actually. The vodka she always talks about.

English food most common.

Fish and Chips... It is so good if you go to brighton beach sit by the pier with fish and chips its a pretty good day and it tastes amazing. Best place to get it.

Pierogi (dumplings) - my absolutely favourite! Polish, Russian, Finnish (karjalanpiirakka, I'm not sure which letter must be double in last word after karjalan)

Ah wrote that just right! I just love those... little butter on them and in (microwave)oven and... oh so good! I don't know are ours how different, because I know those are proteced by European Union. Of course there's many versions of those... filled with rice, filled with potatoes etc.

Karelian dumplings are... smaller. Really. Polish ones and from other Slavic are much bigger and with more fat. Just take cepeliny - they resemble me bombs:lol:

Oh, I must ask you one thing DaWacko. I just love Finnish scrumble eggs. Polish is salty, but this dish which I ate in Finland was... sweet. And I can't make it in home. I want to know this secret. It's not only about sugar 'cause even consistency is different - Finnish scrumble eggs are thicker than Polish.

VODKA, no comments, Polish and Finnish... Adzix, Apple Reeds, yummie!

Good pancakes I ate in Latvia, they were perfect. But the most perfect I have in my home;)

I've gotta agree with Dawni...You can not leave england without having Fish 'n Chips :D

I live in Staffordshire in the Potteries [erm only Brits may know where this is but if you dont then just ask lol], which is one of the many counties in England and we have Oatcakes. They are similar to pancakes but you can only buy these particular ones around this area, apparently :D

Back