The International Thread

Where In The World Are You?

• Total voters
must ask about dub in Czech. Is it the same like in Poland? You can hear "behind" dub original voices?

no, in Czech and Slovak too, you get proper dubbing - each person has its own voice and no hearing of the original. some actors even have their "Official" dubbing voices. you are so use to hearing that voice with the face you are really surprised to hear the original. the funny part is, when they change the voice for the character of a show.

it happened in CSI LV with Greg, for 4 seasons it was one actor then another for S5, then back to the original actor and then back to the second one for S7 - really annoying

rarely I like the dubbing more then original. but only in German version of The Simpsons and the Slovak dubbing of the Cosby Show was maybe even better then the original too

but I still prefer the original sound - be it English, German or Spanish. I find it next to impossible to make a proper Spanish dubbing,

no, in Czech and Slovak too, you get proper dubbing - each person has its own voice and no hearing of the original. some actors even have their "Official" dubbing voices. you are so use to hearing that voice with the face you are really surprised to hear the original. the funny part is, when they change the voice for the character of a show.

it happened in CSI LV with Greg, for 4 seasons it was one actor then another for S5, then back to the original actor and then back to the second one for S7 - really annoying

So only in Poland we have that thing?:eek: But I would rather that than dub for each person.

I enjoy watching english movies with hilariously painful english subtitles. They're just...I don't even know how to describe it. It's better than actually watching the move! :guffaw:

Gaelen, the best is dub and subtitles in Polish. You hear one thing in English, different in Polish dub and read something else:guffaw:

So only in Poland we have that thing?:eek: But I would rather that than dub for each person.

I think in some Russian televisions you get that too

what annoyed me on the Polish dubbing was that I could understand half of what was said in the original but the other half was unclear because of the voice. and I didnt really understood the Polish

oh, I remember the good all days before and shortly after 1989 when the US movies we got were pirates copies with one uninterested and not completly reliable voice talking over all the characters. then sometimes when you after years got some porper translation or version it felt like watching a completly different movie :)

You know what I find interesting here in the international thread is that there are hardly any Americans taking part or even voting. Now do they not think of themselves as part of the international community.

Actually I have voted(and live in America), just haven't made many posts because I didn't have much to say.

As for not thinking that I'm international...according to the polling results I'm in the minority, as well as to many considered an international person/friend. I live in a different country from many of the people I interact with on a daily basis. To me they are international, and to them I'm international. It's all in the perception of how each view things.

I don't see the point in listing reasons to come to America or to Wisconsin, for that matter, to visit. If someone wants to do so, then more power to them. There are enough attractions that promote themselves, even some that have international chains.

I like to randomly sing to old maori songs that I learned in primary school!
Haha! I can't remember any of them! My Maori is pretty much Kia Ora (bro!) oh and the old haka! and Taniwha (woooo!)

:lol: magicmunchies, which part are you from again? I miss Wellington... :eek:
Sadly I'm from Auckland. I'm not a big Auckland fan (it's sooo stuck up!) so I support the crusaders lol. I miss Wellington too :( I'm probably not going back until December/January!

I live in a different country from many of the people I interact with on a daily basis.
Tell me about it. There's not a single person I talk to online who actually lives in the same country as me, yet alone the same continent. I'm fine with that, it's just annoying problem of time differences :p

Haha! I can't remember any of them! My Maori is pretty much Kia Ora (bro!) oh and the old haka! and Taniwha (woooo!)
Haha, I can still sing Po Karekare Ana (sp?), I don't know why. Oh, and the other day I found an album by Kiri and it had all these maori songs on it. Haha, oh it brought back so many memories.

Sadly I'm from Auckland. I'm not a big Auckland fan (it's sooo stuck up!) so I support the crusaders lol. I miss Wellington too :( I'm probably not going back until December/January!
I've been to Auckland a few times, but I've only ever been IN Auckland once when we went on our North Island road trip, all the way up the east coast and down the west. :p All the other times were just transits because the Int. Airport's in Auckland (I never really understood why considering that Wellington's the capital, was Auckland the old capital or something?) Yeah, I'm bad with history :lol:

I miss going to Otaki for the picking seasons. Aw, now I wanna go back! :(

Estonia has the same thing... I was watching some soap opera while we were in Tallin aaand... there was actually only one guy doing the voices and it was bit disturbing because it was discussion of two teenage girls :p and you could hear original voices on the background

What's a bit confusing here sometimes is, when they translate the titles of movies and tv shows and you don't know the original ones. Because when people talk about them (and use the original titles), you don't know what they mean. :lol: I'm glad that they stopped that for most of the new tv shows here, but some time ago, they translated almost everything.

I can't really imagine how strange it is to have the same show with a different name :p

Welcome wolfe love 2007, One little tip: I've seen a few of your posts and they are all less than one line. Just keep in mind that to stop spamming in misc you post has to have a minimum of 3 lines ;) Posting in Misc

Last edited:
I can't really imagine how strange it is to have the same show with a different name :p

:lol: Yeah! Especially because I'm used to look for informations about shows and movies on English sites. And if you don't know the original title, it's a bit difficult. I'm so glad they stopped that. Translating the titles of shows like 'Desperate Housewives' or 'Lost' would sound a bit weird. Or CSI.

Ooh, there's one thing that always struck me as weird; why is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone renamed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the US? I mean...is that a way to tell us that Americans don't know what a Philosopher is or something? Or it a taboo word I didn't know about :p Just...weird.

I can't imagine CSI with another name, that would just be seriously weird. :lol:

^^^I've never understood why they changed the name for the US. They seem to change quite a few things when taking things over the 'pond'! Talking Harry Potter, why do they have different front covers in the US?!?! :lol:

But CSI would just be wrong with a different name :lol:

^Well I think Bloomsbury and Scholastic have different cover artists...or something? I dunno. J.K chooses the cover artist doesn't she? I mean they are her books... *shrugs*

The US version also has a larger font and stuff, I never got that either. Wouldn't it be easier to just standardise everything? I get the adult version needs to be different because you kinda feel slightly childish reading a book with such a colourful cover. :lol: (Well I dont, but hey who knows?)

:lol: Yeah! Especially because I'm used to look for informations about shows and movies on English sites. And if you don't know the original title, it's a bit difficult. I'm so glad they stopped that. Translating the titles of shows like 'Desperate Housewives' or 'Lost' would sound a bit weird. Or CSI.

You mean that?
CSI - Kryminalne zagadki Las Vegas (The Criminal Riddles of Las Vegas, the same with NY and Miami)
Desperate Housewives - Gotowe na wszystko (Ready For Everything:lol:)
Lost - Zagubieni (luckily it's a good translation)

It's easy to find more stuff like that in Polish TV. They're still translating and they'll never stop.

Back