The Great Ship Debate - CSI:Crime Scene Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, Grissom and Sara sort of came out of no where. In my opinion, I did not see that connection as I did for say, Calleigh and Eric on CSI Miami. I mean, seriously, I saw that coming from day one! But Sara and Grissom I saw as more of a mentor/mentee relationship, not a sexual one at all. I'm now seeing a strong attraction between Riley and Nick. Not as strong as Calleigh and Eric, but definitley a good one.

I somewhat-kinda-sorta see a connection between Riley and Nick, but I would prefer her to be either alone or with Greg. I feel like Riley and Greg would compliment each other better, but then again it would almost be like incest between the two of them because I kind of see them as a brother and sister duo more than in a sexual/emotional relationship.

Sofia and Brass for some reason, I can see. I don't know how because they remind me of Grissom and Sara on the sense of Brass being the mentor and Sofia being the protege. But I don'e know what it is. I can see it and part of me wishes they had pursued it when Sofia was more involved. Side note: Does anyont remember when they had Sofia flirting somewhat with Grissom? Did that really happen or am I on crack?

My sister is a major (and I mean MAJOR) Catherine/Brass shipper which makes NO sense to me because I see them as bro/sister, kind of like Greg and Riley.

Wedges, IMO, would do a disservice to Wendy. Because, bottom line is, I don't like Hodges, never have, and I don't think I ever will. So having a character I like alot being with a character I can't stand just wouldn't make me happy ;).

I somewhat-kinda-sorta see a connection between Riley and Nick, but I would prefer her to be either alone or with Greg. I feel like Riley and Greg would compliment each other better, but then again it would almost be like incest between the two of them because I kind of see them as a brother and sister duo more than in a sexual/emotional relationship.

Sofia and Brass for some reason, I can see. I don't know how because they remind me of Grissom and Sara on the sense of Brass being the mentor and Sofia being the protege. But I don'e know what it is. I can see it and part of me wishes they had pursued it when Sofia was more involved. Side note: Does anyont remember when they had Sofia flirting somewhat with Grissom? Did that really happen or am I on crack?

My sister is a major (and I mean MAJOR) Catherine/Brass shipper which makes NO sense to me because I see them as bro/sister, kind of like Greg and Riley.

Wedges, IMO, would do a disservice to Wendy. Because, bottom line is, I don't like Hodges, never have, and I don't think I ever will. So having a character I like alot being with a character I can't stand just wouldn't make me happy ;).

I don't see any connection between Nick and Riley, though that might be more wishful thinking on my part, as a frequent Greg/Riley and Nick/Greg shipper. To me, Nick/Riley and Nick/Sara have always been my least favorites because they took away both of Greg's potential love interests. Plus, I think that Riley and Greg do complement each other so well.

ITA about Wedges.

I think that part of the reason Sofia/Brass worked better for me than GSR, despite the mentor/mentee similarity was that the mentor aspect of Brass and Sofia's relationship never felt apparent in their dynamic. Sofia was a professional subordinate, but she and Brass never treated each other like one person was more important. Sofia stood up for herself a lot, and Brass treated her like the strong, independent woman that she was. They treated each other like equals, despite professional positions.

I don't mean this as an insult to GSR, but, IMO, with Sara and Grissom, it was always very apparent in their interactions that Grissom was in the position of power, especially in earlier seasons. I think it didn't help that Griss and Sara were both workaholics. Work was their life, so it makes sense that their professional positions would have greater bearings on their interpersonal relationships. They were, IMO, always the two characters that seemed to treat other characters, in general, the most differently based on position. Cath, for example, doesn't act that differently toward Greg than she does toward Grissom, but, with Sara, I always got the feeling that she knew she was above Greg and below Griss.

I can kind of see Cath/Brass just because they're both great characters. I think they would have very similar perspectives, having both already been through failed marriages. I can imagine they'd have some of the best, most hilarious conversations just because they're both such fun characters. That said, I'm still a Yo!Blinger at heart, so it's hard to see Cath with anyone else. But, if she were with someone other than Warrick, I think Brass would be a good candidate. I honestly think that they'd make each other happy. I think they'd be a really fun couple in general, which would be a nice departure from angsty romance on the show.

ITA about Wedges.

I think that part of the reason Sofia/Brass worked better for me than GSR, despite the mentor/mentee similarity was that the mentor aspect of Brass and Sofia's relationship never felt apparent in their dynamic. Sofia was a professional subordinate, but she and Brass never treated each other like one person was more important. Sofia stood up for herself a lot, and Brass treated her like the strong, independent woman that she was. They treated each other like equals, despite professional positions.

I don't mean this as an insult to GSR, but, IMO, with Sara and Grissom, it was always very apparent in their interactions that Grissom was in the position of power, especially in earlier seasons. I think it didn't help that Griss and Sara were both workaholics. Work was their life, so it makes sense that their professional positions would have greater bearings on their interpersonal relationships. They were, IMO, always the two characters that seemed to treat other characters, in general, the most differently based on position. Cath, for example, doesn't act that differently toward Greg than she does toward Grissom, but, with Sara, I always got the feeling that she knew she was above Greg and below Griss.

I can kind of see Cath/Brass just because they're both great characters. I think they would have very similar perspectives, having both already been through failed marriages. I can imagine they'd have some of the best, most hilarious conversations just because they're both such fun characters. That said, I'm still a Yo!Blinger at heart, so it's hard to see Cath with anyone else. But, if she were with someone other than Warrick, I think Brass would be a good candidate. I honestly think that they'd make each other happy. I think they'd be a really fun couple in general, which would be a nice departure from angsty romance on the show.

ITA about GSR. You just put into words what I hav ebeen trying to say for fo long. Good Work. I think that Gil and Sara were just entirely to jacked up seperately for them to even be remotely OK together. Sara had some deep seeded mommy/daddy issues and I think that Grissom also had some issues. So the two of them together just seemed like on big headache to me. IMHO.

I guess I can see Cath and Brass, but then again I was always a Gil/Cath and Cath/Warrick shipper so Brass is the competition. :lol: All I can see is Cath and Brass going on and on making witty joke after witty joke. They are both so quick on their feet that the two of them as potential lovers seems more realistic then I thought.

I don't want this to turn into a GSR debate, but I just wanted to say that I agree that Grissom and Sara had issues. But for us GSR fans I think the beauty of it is that they finally overcame those issues and admitted they cared enough for each other to not let anything else get in the way of them being together. Not that they won't have some problems in the future, all couples do, but at the end I think there was no question how they felt about each other.
As for Wedges, I'm not a big fan, I kinda like Wendy and Nick together (loved their scene in Rashomama). But I'm willing to be open to it if it is done right. I think part of the problem fans had/have with GSR is they already had a lot of preset ideas about the characters in the early years (and who they should be with) and were unwilling/unable to see how the characters evolved. There is not a lot of time to develop the relationships on screen, so you have to read between the lines. I'm willing to keep an open mind and see what happens.
I haven't seen enough of Riley to put her with anyone, yet. But I'd like for Greg to get a girlfriend. Maybe Ronnie is still on the swing shift; I thought they were cute together!

^Sorry for the excessive GSR stuff. I really don't want this to turn into another exclusively GSR debate, and I know you GSR fans have already been stuck defending your ship a lot across the board. While I still don't like how GSR evolved over the later seasons, I really did like the flirtation between them in earlier seasons. Scenes with 'I love my job' and 'Pin me' were quite cute. I think my dislike of GSR has more to do with a dislike of TPTB's attempts to create canon romance in general. I've come to the conclusion that I think I would have disliked any ship they made canon, at least any they made canon in the way that they did for GSR.

Anyway, I have to say that there's something I really like about Cath/Gil. I think that they have some great flirtation and chemistry. My biggest issue with that ship is how it would actually turn out if they were together. Their opposite personalities play off of each other well, but I think that, in the long run, they'd run into a lot of trouble just because their personalities are so different. Griss seems very clearly like the type of guy who would always want to stay home and read, whereas Cath seems like a very social, out-and-about character. Griss reminds me a lot of some of my geeky guy friends. I love them, and we have so many amusing conversations, but I can't imagine ever dating them because I know it would boil down to their general aversions to ever having a life. Catherine is someone who would go on dates and generally go out and have fun, whereas Griss seems like someone who's generally happy staying in and geeking out. I think Cath would get really frustrated in the long run with that kind of behavior. I know I would. I think that that, more than anything, is a reason GSR works so well. They have really similar habits. They're both bookish work-a-holics.

Last edited:
Kimbo08
Side note: Does anyont remember when they had Sofia flirting somewhat with Grissom? Did that really happen or am I on crack?

You are not on crack, I definitely remember and really enjoyed it ;). I am first of all a Grissom and Cath shipper but I have to admit that Grissom and Sofia had really good chemistry. As did Grissom and Lady Heather.

happyharper13

I completely agree with this ;).

Kimbo08

I've never liked Hodges and I think that Wendy is so great. I don't like them together either and I guess it stems from my immense dislike of the Hodges character.

Kimbo08
Side note: Does anyont remember when they had Sofia flirting somewhat with Grissom? Did that really happen or am I on crack?

You are not on crack, I definitely remember and really enjoyed it ;). I am first of all a Grissom and Cath shipper but I have to admit that Grissom and Sofia had really good chemistry. As did Grissom and Lady Heather.

I too enjoyed Grissom and Sofia flirting, my favorite moment they had was when she changed from the dress to the coveralls, out on the balconey and he walked in on her. Definetly a women who can handle her own.

Also Grissom and Lady Heather now that was some interesting chemistry to watch, and I was sad that this was left so open ended. She knew how to read him so well it was like watching a book unfold. He told her so many things that not many would understand and she was able to help him though so much.

I agree. I thought Grissom and Lady Heather would have been great. They had such a sexy relationship. I think that the chemistry between them was great! Would have been a lovely ship had they not left it open ended like youw said starz.

^ ooh i loved Grissom and Heather together. and i really enjoyed Sofia and Grissom's shippy moments in season 5.

and i have to say that i actually am really glad that GSR was made canon as late as in the end of season 6, practically in season 7. tbh, i did not like Sara up to and especially in S3. Crash and Burn serving as a main example why. she was very needy towards Hank and i did not like how she almost threw herself at him. i think later seasons, primarely S4 and S5 changed her and prepared her for eventual relationship with Grissom. she was more in control, less needy, and more emotionally stable in S6 than anytime before. even though she might've had some abandonment issues (which many of you like to call 'daddy' just b/c Grissom is older) she worked through them.

it's clear to me that she was not flawless, and i did not like her in S3. the abandonment issues surfaced the most in that season, and Hank was the 'target'. but, imo, she realized how her behavior affects others, especially those who she cares about. going through S4 and then S5 with Snakes being one of the most important moments, where she basically lets Grissom off the hook, she finally overcomes it all, and finds a peace with her issues and her past, and puts it behind her.

it wasn't much of her fault that they resurfaced later, which was the reason she knew she had to leave.

^ I agree with most of what you said. When you don't like a character, it's hard to really enjoy a ship that they are in. When it came to GSR I was mainly a Gil fan and a Sara supporter before they had Sara pining over Grissom, because I think it just ruined the character. I think it would have been easier for me to except GSR if they had Gil more receptive in the beginning instead of heading her off at every pass. When it's obvious that one character likes the other, and the other shuts it down, it makes the first character seem more obsessed then in love.

I can't see anything flirty or romantic between Greg and Riley.It does look like plain friendship without the sexy moments that Cat and Warrick had to put an exemple.But I was not able to see anything between Greg and either Sara or Nick so maybe is Greg that doesn't give me the vibes.

Agree about Sara and Grisson .It was too doom and gloom when they were together.

Since "One To Go" so stupendous and so fulfilling and they are so HAPPY.. there haven't been any romantic parings, so do you think TPTB will hook up one of the older cast members with a new person, possibly Cath, or Nick or Greg, and have we figured out if Dr. Langston is married or not yet, or is this not in the plans?

Last edited:
I don't think they'll be going for hooking up any of the CSIs. Based on comments from a few of TPTB, I got the impression that Greg and Riley would be the most possible couple. That said, I don't think they'll become a couple. I'm a Greg/Riley shipper, but I wouldn't want them or any other couple to become canon, and I definitely appreciate LLS's comment that she didn't want that couple to happen either. I think CSI should stick with keeping couples in subtext only. Whether you like GSR or not, it was definitely divisive among fans.

The couple that looks to be close to canon in the future (sadly, IMO) is Wendy/Hodges. I love Wendy and can stand (and sometimes even enjoy) Hodges in limited doses, but I'm kind of tired of seeing Wendy relegated to only functioning as Hodges' love interest. She has so much potential for so much more.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll be going for hooking up any of the CSIs.

No, they probably won't. Altlhough I don't think hooking a CSI up with someone outside their team would be so bad..hint..Nick and Mandy...but it should just be kept to subtext such as what they've done with Nick and Mandy already..just leave it to the hints they've already shown us and everyone's happy.

Once a couple is canon, it kind of distracts the show a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back