"The Gone Dead Train" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Wow a Greg butt shot, I like! :drool:

Wha??? I missed that somehow. I must have been writing down part of my review. Must go back and watch ep again later. :D

So, I think we finally learned Vartann's first name....Lou. Lou Vartann.....wasn't expecting that one.

Huh? When did they say his first name? In the guide book for the show (kind of like the watcher's guide books for the BTVS seasons they have his name at Tony).

I'm wondering if they've made him into a Lieutenant, and that's why they called him "Lou"? They use that nickname on a lot of cop shows. I really hope that's not his name. It just doesn't fit him.

That's probably why he was called Lou considering that an official guide book for the show said his name was Tony. Unless the writers are forgetting what they wrote previously. :lol: I hope that's why they were calling him "lou". He doesn't look like a "Lou" at all... Unless its "Lu" and short for Luke/Lucas/Luciano or something of that nature. :lol: Okay, nevermind, he doesn't look like any of those names either. :lol: But Luke would be better than Lou for him. :lol:

The guy that played Eric (the nurse's stepson?) looks so familiar but I can't place him.

I really loved Doc's singing. He has a nice voice.

Nice screentime for everyone.

Review:

Doc immediately notices something is wrong when the door slams with Cath inside.

"Catherine, don't be a tough guy." :lol:

Vartann! :D

they put beads in their back? Yikes! And did they really have to show us the procedure?

GME... Greg and Vartann had "duh" expressions. Girl says "God Made 'Em". They guys are still stumped. Girl says "No fake boobs". :lol: Loved Greg's "oh" face after that. :lol:

Riley: You gonna turn into a vampire now?
Cath: Well, I work nights anyway. I don't think anyone's gonna notice. :guffaw:

---

the dude's getting his tongue split. OW!!!! I didn't need to see that.

Man-ceptionist. :guffaw:

Self mutilation trips Nicky out. "This is all kinds of wrong."

Not loving the subtle attempts of the writers to try and rewrite Grissom scenes for Ray. (the guy thinking Ray and Nick are a couple) In fact it really annoys me.

Jere Burns!

Greg: Congratulations, you may have just won a twenty-year vay-cay. :lol: Okay, it's funny hearing someone actually saying "vay-cay" as opposed to seeing it typed in IM or whatever. :lol: And Greg's comment reminded me a little of Calleigh's comment in this week's Miami ep where she told an aspiring actress who committed a murder: "Congratulations, you just won the role of a lifetime." :lol:

Dave does his first solo. :thumbsup: Wait... double-take... did Dave just say his middle name is Gregory? His wife calls him snapping-alligator? :lol: Cute. His bad mood is better than Riley's good mood?

Brass: It's not multiple choice. It's either yes or no.
Suspect: Or. :lol:

Nicky gets to be acting supervisor. :D :D :D

Greg to Hodges: Hold on there, Spuds. :lol:

Loved Greg and Riley "experimenting" on Hodges. :lol:

:lol: at the girls in the interview with Greg. Reminds me of Nick's interview with the girls in "Descent of A Man". :lol:

Girl: I didn't know you could kill somebody with a porkchop. :lol:

Brass: Who framed you, Roger Rabbit? :guffaw::guffaw:I love you, Brass!

Doc: Good thing being a doctor has more advantages than just getting hot chicks. :lol: Ray's laugh at that made me chuckle too.

Ebony and Ivory. <~~~Thanks for saying that, guy. Now I've got that song stuck in my head. :lol:

Ray: next time, you don't talk.
Doc: I don't talk? I don't think you should talk. :guffaw:

Smokey and the Bandit. :lol: Good one, Nick!

:lol: Love the last scene with Cath and Doc.

I loved Doc and Ray's banter in this episode.

I give the ep an A- and the minus is only because that one thing annoyed me that I mentioned above.

Last edited:
One of those girls in Greg and Riley's story looked familliar....I'll have to go back and check the cast list
I believe you're talking about Danielle Nicolet, who was in the season 2 episode, "Chaos Theory". :)

I just remembered where I saw her. I've been renting Stargate SG-1 and she was in a season 5 episode called "Menace" Once I saw her name in your post I remembered so thanks.

I knew the diet club girls killed the blonde....didn't see Susan Schiff as the killer in the "A" story though.

Really good episode. Good team usage and interesting and humor all in one ep. I like.

Nice to see Doc R out and about. Loved that Dave had his first solo autopsy and how he held back info to Riley until Doc came back and signed off on it. Dave's temper...:lol:

Loved how concerned Doc Robbins was for Catherine and how at the end she said he owed her big time. :)

Killed by pork chop, that has got to be a new one. :lol: That case seemed more serious at first then once the girls mentioned the GME contest and Greg's expression, I knew it would turn out to be crazy.

And I have been waiting for a Greg/Hodges moment and tonight we got one. I use to love it when they teased or ragged on each other, especially Hodges more so on Greg. I was glad to see Greg get the chance to use Hodges some; calling him Spuds and then using him as a test dummy and dropping him was great!

I think they ended that story too soon because the last 15 minutes did seem drag out a bit as it just focused on the Rabies storyline. I think they should not have ended that other one so soon in the ep.

Overall a really good episode. The chemistry between Robbins and Langston really shows, and I hope to see more scenes between the two of them.

Also, did anyone else think the 'Hodges being dragged' scene seemed like the scene in "Blood Lust" where Warrick and Judy Tremont were dragged? I thought that was interesting.

Overall a really good episode. The chemistry between Robbins and Langston really shows, and I hope to see more scenes between the two of them.

Also, did anyone else think the 'Hodges being dragged' scene seemed like the scene in "Blood Lust" where Warrick and Judy Tremont were dragged? I thought that was interesting.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.:lol:

I totally forgot to mention in my previous post the wonderful Cath/Doc flowers scene at the end. Poor Doc! revenge will be sweet!

oh, and did anyone else chuckle at Brass' "rocky raccoon" comment? 'Fur & Loathing' anyone?

my full recap can be found here

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.:lol:
There's another connection to Blood Lust in this episode. Michele Greene who played Susan Schiff in The Gone Dead Train also played the dead teenager's mother in Blood Lust. I didn't read the cast list in the press release so I had no idea she was going to be in this ep. Then I saw her and that was kind of a nice surprise for me because I loved her on L.A. Law ages ago. :lol:

I liked Doc this week. The research thing was funny. Doc and Ray were funny, and I enjoyed Ray and Cath too. *wonders how long it'll take for someone to decide there are ship signs in there anywhere...* Love the vampire exchange. "Are you going to turn into a vampire?" "Well I already work nights..." I think it's a Forever Knight fangirl thing for me.

Haha, I've been shipping for them for awhile now. I may have to break the barrier with this episode, though, cause call me crazy, but I see that there's something between the two of them!

I liked the episode. Catherine!Action! was nice, as well as Brass dressing her down for not calling him, then in the next breath saying he was glad she was alright. I loved Ray's concern and then ordering that she go to the hospital. Loved the scene with Riley, and Catherine's lines of "I think that the tetanus shot hurt worse than the crazy lady attacking me." and "Well, I already work nights so I don't think anyone's gonna notice." :lol: I also like how she was acting to make it look as if she was really sore/stiff when she put her coat on. After all, she just got tossed from one end of the room to the other, including being slammed into a wall and having her head bashed into the shelf. The scene where she found out that she has rabies was well done too. Not too over the top or anything. I liked that Ray was like "Use your cell phone" when she wanted to call Nicky first. It shows how vulnerable Catherine was and how she wasn't thinking clearly.

Doc shined in this episode. RDH did an awesome job, so props to him. He owes Cath big time! Ray/Doc are starting to become good friends, which is awesome. The second story was decent too, and Greg looked adorable. SuperDave was funny too. I'm really starting to like Riley. At first I was kinda eh about her, but she's growing on me.

A good episode that shows how much they are a team, even with the seperate cases. Catherine jumped from one case to the other despite being injured, and Nicky stepped up as acting supervisor without hesitation. Good episode.

Can't wait for next week.

Loved this episode :).

-Marg/Catherine was awesome!!!! Loved the vampire joke :lol:

-Brass kind of chastising Catherine made me smile. He really was worried about her. I love Brass :)

-Ray and Doc make a really good team.

-:lol: at Riley's "your bad temper is better than my good temper" or something along those lines :lol:

-Yay, Nick got to play supervisor :)

-I couldn't read the note Doc gave her with the flowers. Could anyone post what it said? Thanks :)

I thought it was a great episode :). Doc had always been one of my favorites and to see an episode with him as a main is awesome. He gets along great with everyone, Cath, Ray, Brass. Just great.

I had no problem with Ray ordering Catherine around when she was bit. With anything medical they should listen to him.

I don't no why, but I laughed when Catherine found out she had rabies. I knew she wasn't going to die or anything, so I had to laugh. I'm a terrible person. And I LIKE Catherine. Brass and her are always great.

I always assumed that Nick was the assistant supervisor. Now that has been confirmed. Maybe not it so many words, but yeah. He makes a great one to :). I'm also with him when it come to self-mutilation. I was disgusted with the forked tongue sequence. Side Note: I dislike George with the shaved head thing going on. He looks better with hair!

Greg :lol:. Working a bikini case, of course. The entire thing with Hodges was my favorite :guffaw:. And death by pork chop. Classic.
The interaction between Dave and Riley was also great. He was so nervous. And she just watched him, amused. Awesome.

Yeah, I know I've said this a lot during this post, but it was great. Absolutely perfect.

:lol: What a fantastic episode.

Was I the only one thinking it might be swine flu? They did manage to sneak in death by pork.

Loved every bit of this one, the soundtrack, the character interactions, how they all had equal parts. Doc was awesome, and he worked great with Ray. Cath's reaction to the victim dying of rabies was priceless.

It did seem like they were referencing old eps with this one. I think the scene with nick and ray was on purpose, not just a writers mistake.

The B case was pretty predictable, but still great. Plus we got more of greg...which doesn't happen very often.

I totally forgot to mention in my previous post the wonderful Cath/Doc flowers scene at the end. Poor Doc! revenge will be sweet!

oh, and did anyone else chuckle at Brass' "rocky raccoon" comment? 'Fur & Loathing' anyone?

my full recap can be found here

I left you a comment on your review. It was a great review except the "Nick is such wuss". Someone who spends 24 hours being buried alive, is so NOT A WUSS.

Just because he finds inserting metal balls in your back as all kinds of wrong, doesn't make you a wuss or naive. I find it all kinds of wrong too, but that doesn't makes me a wuss or naive either.

I'm all for body piercing, but inserting something in your body cannot be good for you and will probably cause problems down the line.

The split tongue is kinda cool, however, I didn't need to see it being done. :shifty:

Having said that, I'm all for you doing whatever you want to your body.

I thought his "this is all kinds of wrong" comment was in reference to these people going to this kind of place to get these kinds of "surguries". maybe he thinks those kinds of places are not as steril as a hospital environment would be.

Last edited:
No, I called him a "wuss" because his judgmental attitude about things not ordinary hasn't changed since "Slaves of Las Vegas". Remember:
NICK: Catherine, do you really think that those freaks out there, running around with their little dog collars on getting spanked are the same as you and me?
CATHERINE: Just because you never did it doesn't mean you never could.
NICK: No way, never gonna happen."
(that "freaks" comment has bothered me since I heard him say it the first time. I'm definitely not into THAT lifestyle, but I don't call those that are "freaks".)
- - - - -
Or how about the freaked-out look he had in "Ch-Ch-Changes" when he & Grissom walked to the back of the transgender 'club'.

It's the same thing here. Just walking into that tattoo/piercing parlor made him comment about how all of that was "just wrong". Personally, I don't have any tattoos or piercings (other than a big old surgery scar), but I don't frown upon anyone who does. I thought his comments were quite rude and judgmental towards others who weren't 'purists' like him. THAT'S why I called him a "Wuss" - for not being man enough to get over his childish prejudices, or at least not speaking them in a public place while on a case.

No, I called him a "wuss" because his judgmental attitude about things not ordinary hasn't changed since "Slaves of Las Vegas". Remember:
NICK: Catherine, do you really think that those freaks out there, running around with their little dog collars on getting spanked are the same as you and me?
CATHERINE: Just because you never did it doesn't mean you never could.
NICK: No way, never gonna happen."
(that "freaks" comment has bothered me since I heard him say it the first time. I'm definitely not into THAT lifestyle, but I don't call those that are "freaks".)
- - - - -
Or how about the freaked-out look he had in "Ch-Ch-Changes" when he & Grissom walked to the back of the transgender 'club'.

It's the same thing here. Just walking into that tattoo/piercing parlor made him comment about how all of that was "just wrong". Personally, I don't have any tattoos or piercings (other than a big old surgery scar), but I don't frown upon anyone who does. I thought his comments were quite rude and judgmental towards others who weren't 'purists' like him. THAT'S why I called him a "Wuss" - for not being man enough to get over his childish prejudices, or at least not speaking them in a public place while on a case.

Well, Kaylyne I have always respected your reviews but not this one and I take offense to you calling our man a wuss. Remember,George is the actor speaking the writer's lines and they really don't like changing their dialogue for the actors just because they feel it is not politically correct. I would not want my children to get done what was going on in that parlor,it poses all sorts of health risks. My son has a piecing,I told him as long as it is done in a sterile fashion I am fine but tongue slicing goes against so many of MY values. Sorry, I agree with Nick, but then again I was raised in an era when these types of things were just plain ole wrong,as were probably so many of the people on this show.As a nurse I have seen too many people who been exposed to hepatitis in these type of sleezy places,too many die of the complications of bacterial infections and all types of other exposures from these type of places. Sorry,I have a different perspective and if you think bad of me, then WHATEVER! Maybe you have never seen a young person die of a staph infection as you held his hand and watched him take his last breath.the gurgling sounds will stay with you in your nightmares.

Last edited:
Back