The Challenge Guide Thread - Updated May 1/11

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Dragonfly, Mar 11, 2008.

1. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Re: The Challenge Guide Thread

Anyone? Your comments will help us decide how to proceed from here!

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Re: The Challenge Guide Thread *Discussion Open* Feb 1/09

I would say maybe have a challenge twice per month. Once in the first week of the month and once in the last week of the month. But, that's just my opinion.

3. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Sorry Meg, Ive only just had time to get my butt in here and give my opinion...

I dont really think that the numbers changed so much even though we had less challenges, I think the participation still into joining and taking part in other challenges if there prefered choice is not open, when they have free time to make an icon. For me though, i didnt think about joining in with the other challenges so from my participation point the rule didnt change what I did at all. Most of the time, I make my icons last minute as im busy but prefer to do it like that so I know I have to get it done and dont take all day about it- if that makes sence. However this means that I do get irritated when challenge deadlines have many extended deadlines, but I know that that cant always be helped ;)

As a challenge runner, I dont really think the numbers pf participation really improved unless the theme was popular. I felt like the art forum was a little slow and there seemed to be less of a 'buzz' around it and I myself forgot I had to post a challenge, due to the large time scale inbetween challenges. I think maybe either the Mods or challenge runners could post in the specific art thread once they open a new challenge, as sometimes you find beginners in there that havent ventured around the forum much. I do think however that since people have recently re-catagorised themselves that there is the odd few more people as they see the challenges as little more fare. I also think it'd help if all challenge runners made sure that their deadlines are scattered throughout the month/week seeing as sometimes deadlines are very close together... that list is updated in here right?

So overall I dont really think this new rule helped much with the numbers but it was worth a try IMO and maybe it gave people a sort of 'challenge break', however i dont think it'd be good for long term as I thought it made the forum seem a little quiet and empty, well that was my thoughts- hoped it helped guys :) And I hope it made sence :lol:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Sorry I've been a bit busy as well.

I don't think that having a challenge once a month did much, numbers have been low all around. I don't know if people are losing interest in the shows with cast changes or if they are losing interest in the forum, both of these are quite logical. Though in my honest opinion once a month is harder than spacing it out to say twice a month. It's been quieter around here so it's harder to get people to enter, almost like pulling teeth.

5. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

i agree, doing it once a month didn't really change much in terms of how many people entered. and also i don't know if its just me or not, but there seems to be a huge difference in the entrants in advanced and beginner as opposed to intermediate. there always seems to be signaficantly more entering in intermediate which makes it a little difficult to get entranst in the other categories.
    maybe we should have a schedule as to when each challenge starts and ends? so that way they are spaced out a bit and people aren't struggling to find time to enter.

6. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

For me, I think once a month is too restrictive, because it seems to slow things down too much. There is like a two week window to get icons in, then the voting is open for a week or more and goes days without votes. It's kind of frustrating to send in your icons and by the time they're finally posted you've almost forgotten you entered them.

I don't know. Just for me, it seems to make things drag out too much.

7. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Another point I'd like to address is the issue of bias voting and how we can overcome it! Me and Jools (CSISenna) we're discuss this on MSN we've found that alot of people vote biasly for a fav character and this is I think disrespectful to all participates who take the time to make the graphics. I think one way we could resolve this is have the system we have in the LIMS they have to get a reason for their vote, talk about the technique used in the icon (like colouring, cropping, texture etc.) but not give 'oooh a love ____ so I have to vote for it!' as a reason.

Does this make sense? It is possible for challenge runners to take this one board. It might actually draw in more participants :) It might not eliminate the problem completely but it's a start!

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Also the extention of deadlines again and again puts people off so maybe setting realistic deadlines for people? Or maybe do it how I do in the Misc. Icon Challenge. It's usually over and done with in a week or so here some challenges from the join now to the results can be running for a month which is kinda crazy. But this is just my opinon, just wanted to throw that in sorry if it does belong her or you guys don't agree with it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Yes, I update it every time a new challenge is posted. And I can't emphasize enough that we need to spread the challenges out.

The intent of the once-a-month rule was never for the challenges to take longer. Unfortunately, it does seem to have happened a lot. I know personally I get annoyed and frustrated when the challenges drag on.

Sadly, you're right about biased voting. Mostly, I notice it in the wallpaper challenge because that's the one I run. And it makes me sad, because this just shouldn't be an issue. However, the fact that more than one person has pointed it out makes it an issue.
    I think that giving feedback on votes has been suggested before. However, there are 2 problems I see with this: 1) it's a lot easier to find what isn't good about an icon (like the in the LIMS), than it is to say what is good. 2) I'm afraid that it will discourage people to vote, and it can be hard enough to get votes already (though, it has been better lately, or is that just me?)
    Maybe this is an issue that needs to be discussed more.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Kat and I should have some decisions for you soon. But don't stop the discussion. We're always open to hearing your thoughts :)

9. MarineGirl#1

MarineGirl#1 CSI Level Three

I've been thinking about how we can get the voting as honestly as possible. Like Soph said, it would be an idea to do the voting like in the LIMS. But I also have to agree with Megan. Maybe it's an option to split the 3 CSI's into their own category. That way no one can be biased for their favourite show. Maybe then it's a good idea to vote like in the LIMS. :confused:

10. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

-- So like have 3 votes for bad quality and 2 for good quality would that be better Meg?...I think like Meg said that might discourage votes, mind you there have been alot of votes in the LIMS lately which seems promising maybe this is something to consider, I don't think its just the issue of the shows it's also the issue of liking individual characters. So I don't think splitting the voting in terms of shows will resolve anything.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Honestly, I don't like the idea of voting on all the challenges the same way as LIMS. I honestly hate voting for worst quality. It always makes me feel bad. It's fine for LIMS, but I wouldn't like it for all the other challenges. I do think it would discourage voting because I myself would probably be less likely to vote if all of the challenges were like that. It's hard enough doing it for the LIMS challenges.

12. Dragonfly

Alright, decision time :lol:

Kat and I have decided to get rid of the once-a-month rule. However, we've making a new rule. You must wait at least five (5) days between posting the results of one challenge and posting a new challenge. I'd also like to remind the challenge runners to please check the first post of this thread to avoid having two challenges due on the same day. I always keep the list updated.

The issues of the intermediate category and biased voting will be dealt with when I get back from my holiday in a week. Discussion on these issues may continue, of course.

Since I'm in here, I'm also going to mention a few changes in who's running the challenges:
    egeria will be taking over the Signature Banner Challenge from Starzsgirl, who will be taking over the Miami Icon Challenge from CSI_Kat

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  13. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Re: The Challenge Guide Thread *Updated Feb 14/09*

Would it be alright to include the Misc. Icon challenge with the other deadlines on the first page?

14. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I agree, I never like to vote on the worst quality icons and I think that it would certainly discourage people from entering.

15. Dragonfly

Re: The Challenge Guide Thread *Updated Feb 14/09*

Done ;)

Although, you may have to poke me occasionally as a reminder to update it. Because it's in another forum, I sometimes forget to change it :alienblush: