The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yeah, i see that too - god knows what they were thinking when they brought 80s fashions back (not that i can really say this as i wear bright blue eyeliner/mascara and hoop earrings with neon dangles as a matter of course...).

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Do platform shoes automatically come with a pair of crutches? What's next, the return of bell bottoms?

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I think bell bottoms come back in every 5 to 7 years, so we have a couple more to wait for those... Crutches. Good idea! :lol:

4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

actaully my favourite jeans at the moment are flared - not quite bells but getting that way, and they're high waisted and really soft denim, basically they make me feel like i'm in the carpenters (although less thin) - they're really cool tho. and for someone who's always been a punk, it's very odd for me to say that.

5. BabaOReilly

I just thought of something oldschool, so of course I've come running over here...

Do you guys remember all those old teen magazines, like Tiger Beat? I used to buy those things like there was no tomorrow. Ah, Shaun Cassidy...

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

OMG, I used to buy those all the time. Man, when I was in high school I was in love with John Taylor from Duran Duran and my walls were covered with John Taylor and Duran Duran stuff. You didn't see the walls. :lol:

Though I don't live at home anymore, if you go look at the walls of my old bedroom it's full of tack holes from me tacking all the stuff. :lol:

Ah, the teenage years. :p

7. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Yup :) that brings back the memories. Although I was after Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy, David Soul to name a few :D

8. BabaOReilly

Oh man, I had 3 walls of completely "The Police", and 1 wall of Duran Duran! No paint was visible!

So Tiger Beat has obviously been around a long time if it reaches back to Bobby Sherman and co.

9. Jacquie

According to Wikipedia, Tiger Beat has been around since 1965 :eek:

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i was always more of a simon fan :) in my school you had to be either durans or spandaus, for some reason being both wasn't allowed. i do like spandaus now but as i was on team duran, i still don't like them as much.

i still like wham! too which is probably just sad...

11. BabaOReilly

Oh man. I was just listening to "Everything She Wants" by Wham the other day. :lol: And I STILL listen to Duran Duran. Rio is such a great album.

It's interesting the albums that stand the test of time. All my Police stuff obviously still cuts it, but some other stuff... er, not so much. Styx "Kilroy Was Here" comes to mind. :lol:

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

it is, i think a lot of them are more for nostalgic reasons than musical greatness though!

i never really liked the police - mainly because sting really annoys me (although he was pretty good in quadrophenia), but every breath you take really is the ultimate stalker song :D

the most nostalgic stuff for me is the pop as i was a kid for a fair chunk of the 80s but as i'm an indie kid the stuff i love most is the jangly indie/rough trade/c86/madchester stuff and also the post punk stuff. my favourite 80s band (and probably my favourite band ever) has to be the smiths - so influential, so maudlin, so witty, and hell, they had morrissey!

13. Jacquie

I never got into the posters on the walls at home :eek: It gets difficult to do that when you share a bedroom with your two older sisters :D but locker at high school was a different thing though. I can't remember who I had on the door but it was decorated with some good looking men :) I do make up for the lack of posters at home when I was younger by having a picture or two of a certain actor in my computer case these days :D

Music is a mixed bag for me. I like a bit of this and a bit of that. I like Abba, The Police, Meatloaf, Barry Manilow, Josh Groban, Russel Watson, RyanDan, John Barrowman and when the mood hits I do like me some good disco music. Nothing can beat YMCA or In The Navy :lol:

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i still have posters all over my wall and i'm 32 :lol:

15. Jacquie

See it just goes to show we're never to old to enjoy our youth :lol: