The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

A much cooler memory was when the wall came down in Berlin. That was awesome. Tienanmen Square... not so much.

We're a turbulent species.

2. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

the wall coming down was truly momentous. tiananmen square was horrific - it's the 20th anniversary this week i think (or last). it'd be nice if lessons had been learned, but of course they haven't.

we are a turbulent species indeed, and a pretty stupid one a lot of the time. "only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity. and i'm not sure about the former". Einstein was spot on.

3. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Udonna I loved your list....

I don´t mind getting older but I still get surprised when I realize it like when reading your list.....:lol:.

I went to get my eyes checked and the doctor said ...can you read this line? Yes and this ? Yes AND this?

Yes

Wonderfull and marvelous ...but you do get longsighted when you get older.

4. Blue

Blue Police Officer

A wonderful sunday morning my dear,

glad you like the list!

I think most of the things are not really bad. I think we have just learned to see life from a different point and how to make it easier or more comfortable...........:lol:

The point where I realize that time is going by extrem fast is watching my son growing up. It seems to me that it was yestersay that I was pregnant and next week he´ll finishes the 3rd year of elementary school and we have to decide in a few months in which junior high school he will go on .

And although I remember great times at school or university I also remember the constant lack of money, troubles with parents....................
    It´s not too bad today to enjoy life today!!!!!

So have a great time!!!
    Udonna:luvlove:

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

you're absolutely right - when i was young i was desperate to go to glastonbury (which is going on this weekend, my little brother is there) and live it up in the rain (and i went and did all the naughty stuff you're supposed to do) but now, 10 years later, the very thought of glastonbury is just all wrong. i'd like to go for the music and the buzz but, really, a tent??? you have to be kidding. i will go if i can get a room in a B&B nearby so i can have a nice warm bath every evening and a soft bed. i used to follow bands on tour and sleep in cars or whatever i could find, but now if a gig doesn't have either easy access from home or a decent hotel nearby, i won't go. it makes me feel so old, but it's just comfort, now i'm older i don't want to be skanky!

6. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Btw....Thank you for answearing my que....I hope you are doing good in present time and that you get to do stuff you like too.

7. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Hi everybody

Just dropping in to seek some help.

Let us say someone is having a birthday comming up and wanted to have a supergreat party with old friends who could bring the kids.

What would make a great party? Where people would mingle and have fun without to much alcohol?

I have an idea about some games but......Let me hear which things you have enjoyed at parties?

Oh....Let me hear about all the great parties you have been too....

Did you have jukeboxes? What food did you have?

Help me partyplan:).

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

AJ, I am not much of a party person, but there is a website about WABC radio station back when it was the number one station in America. A fan's site has the top song lists (rock/pop) for each year from 1964 to 1982. This way, you could find the songs for when the birthday person was born or graduating high school or college. This is NOT a music download site, but a reference to the popular music of those days. Wal-Mart or Amazon sometimes has collections of hits on CD that might have the songs you want.

9. BabaOReilly

That's pretty cool, Dynamo. :)

Will this be an indoor or outdoor party?

10. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Hi there

It will be a indoorparty as I am a winter child:). Thanks Dynamo. Have you ever tried renting a jukeboks or could music be played via computer?
    I also wonder ....how much dancing and how much eating and how much gametime there will be if I invite friends with their children? Which again makes me wonder it be be a "come as you are" party or should I rent a place and make it formal?

11. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

So I say a link for the 100 Things You Kids May Never Know.

I got chuckle at the items and some items made me go :wtf:. What is that?

I thought I'd post the list:

Audio-Visual Entertainment

1. Inserting a VHS tape into a VCR to watch a movie or to record something.
    2. Super-8 movies and cine film of all kinds.
    3. Playing music on an audio tape using a personal stereo. See what happens when you give a Walkman to today’s teenager.
    4. The number of TV channels being a single digit. I remember it being a massive event when Britain got its fourth channel.
    5. Standard-definition, CRT TVs filling up half your living room.
    6. Rotary dial televisions with no remote control. You know, the ones where the kids were the remote control.
    7. High-speed dubbing.
    8. 8-track cartridges.
    9. Vinyl records. Even today’s DJs are going laptop or CD.
    10. Betamax tapes.
    11. MiniDisc.
    12. Laserdisc: the LP of DVD.
    13. Scanning the radio dial and hearing static between stations. (Digital tuners + HD radio b0rk this concept.)
    14. Shortwave radio.
    15. 3-D movies meaning red-and-green glasses.
    16. Watching TV when the networks say you should. Tivo and Sky+ are slowing killing this one.
    17. That there was a time before ‘reality TV.’

Computers and Videogaming
    18. Wires. OK, so they’re not gone yet, but it won’t be long
    19. The scream of a modem connecting.
    20. The buzz of a dot-matrix printer
    21. 5- and 3-inch floppies, Zip Discs and countless other forms of data storage.
    22. Using jumpers to set IRQs.
    23. DOS.
    24. Terminals accessing the mainframe.
    25. Screens being just green (or orange) on black.
    26. Tweaking the volume setting on your tape deck to get a computer game to load, and waiting ages for it to actually do it.
    27. Daisy chaining your SCSI devices and making sure they’ve all got a different ID.
    28. Counting in kilobytes.
    29. Wondering if you can afford to buy a RAM upgrade.
    30. Blowing the dust out of a NES cartridge in the hopes that it’ll load this time.
    31. Turning a PlayStation on its end to try and get a game to load.
    32. Joysticks.
    33. Having to delete something to make room on your hard drive.
    34. Booting your computer off of a floppy disk.
    35. Recording a song in a studio.

The Internet
    36. NCSA Mosaic.
    37. Finding out information from an encyclopedia.
    38. Using a road atlas to get from A to B.
    39. Doing bank business only when the bank is open.
    40. Shopping only during the day, Monday to Saturday.
    41. Phone books and Yellow Pages.
    42. Newspapers and magazines made from dead trees.
    43. Actually being able to get a domain name consisting of real words.
    44. Filling out an order form by hand, putting it in an envelope and posting it.
    45. Not knowing exactly what all of your friends are doing and thinking at every moment.
    46. Carrying on a correspondence with real letters, especially the handwritten kind.
    47. Archie searches.
    48. Gopher searches.
    49. Concatenating and UUDecoding binaries from Usenet.
    50. Privacy.
    51. The fact that words generally don’t have num8er5 in them.
    52. Correct spelling of phrases, rather than TLAs.
    53. Waiting several minutes (or even hours!) to download something.
    54. The time before botnets/security vulnerabilities due to always-on and always-connected PCs
    55. The time before PC networks.
    56. When Spam was just a meat product — or even a Monty Python sketch.

Gadgets
    57. Typewriters.
    58. Putting film in your camera: 35mm may have some life still, but what about APS or disk?
    59. Sending that film away to be processed.
    60. Having physical prints of photographs come back to you.
    61. CB radios.
    62. Getting lost. With GPS coming to more and more phones, your location is only a click away.
    63. Rotary-dial telephones.
    64. Answering machines.
    65. Using a stick to point at information on a wallchart
    66. Pay phones.
    67. Phones with actual bells in them.
    68. Fax machines.
    69. Vacuum cleaners with bags in them.

Everything Else
    70. Taking turns picking a radio station, or selecting a tape, for everyone to listen to during a long drive.
    71. Remembering someone’s phone number.
    72. Not knowing who was calling you on the phone.
    73. Actually going down to a Blockbuster store to rent a movie.
    74. Toys actually being suitable for the under-3s.
    75. LEGO just being square blocks of various sizes, with the odd wheel, window or door.
    76. Waiting for the television-network premiere to watch a movie after its run at the theater.
    77. Relying on the 5-minute sport segment on the nightly news for baseball highlights.
    78. Neat handwriting.
    79. The days before the nanny state.
    80. Starbuck being a man.
    81. Han shoots first.
    82. “Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.” But they’ve already seen episode III, so it’s no big surprise.
    83. Kentucky Fried Chicken, as opposed to KFC.
    84. Trig tables and log tables.
    85. “Don’t know what a slide rule is for …”
    86. Finding books in a card catalog at the library.
    87. Swimming pools with diving boards.
    88. Hershey bars in silver wrappers.
    89. Sliding the paper outer wrapper off a Kit-Kat, placing it on the palm of your hand and clapping to make it bang loudly. Then sliding your finger down the silver foil to break off the first finger
    90. A Marathon bar (what a Snickers used to be called in Britain).
    91. Having to manually unlock a car door.
    92. Writing a check.
    93. Looking out the window during a long drive.
    94. Roller skates, as opposed to blades.
    95. Cash.
    96. Libraries as a place to get books rather than a place to use the internet.
    97. Spending your entire allowance at the arcade in the mall.
    98. Omni Magazine
    99. A physical dictionary — either for spelling or definitions.
    100. When a ‘geek’ and a ‘nerd’ were one and the same.

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

you've made me feel all nostalgic! although rollerskates (not blades) are making a bit of a come back over here at the moment :D

13. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

At one of the jobs I had years ago, some of the employees would get together on a weekend and go to a nearby roller skating rink. I went once or twice, but told the others that I did enough running around in circles at my job.

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^^ very good comeback :D i used to live near the largest skating rink in europe, every saturday my mum would go to buy groceries and my brother and i would go skating. i was pretty good. i must try it again...

15. BabaOReilly

OK, being over 30 I've seen the cycles of fashion repeat several times by now... and here come the platform shoes again. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them, but when I see 18/19 year olds wearing these improbable high heeled platforms with a pair of jeans and average t-shirt, I can't help but think they're missing the point! :lol: I feel some consolation in the fact that I've seen other people witness these feats of magic and actually laugh out loud! :lol: I'm a little more polite than that, though. ;)