The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I remember reading that list when I started college back in 1997. It was different of course! But now I feel really old! Yikes! :eek:

2. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Jacquie, if you're trying to make us all feel really old --- you succeeded.

Lets see ...

Those starting college this year were born the year before I graduated college! :eek:

I'm getting "Where's the beef?" on a daily basis on this Retro Television Network that I get now. I'm already sick of it and the Slinky jingle!

We have 2 kids that have seen a typewriter in use but that's only because we own one! :shifty: We did, however, have trouble convincing them that the 2 down in the garage were manual typewriters that didn't need to plug in to work. :lol:

You know, the only thing that list didn't include were records (which I have) or 8-track tapes (which I've never had). :lol:

Susan

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I know, right? I graduated University in 92! :eek:

I work with a guy who grew up in Serbia (or I guess it was Yugo then) and he wasn't familiar with Happy Days, so we looked up The Fonz on the net! :lol:

4. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I graduated from college in 1973. Five years ago, I went to my 35th year high school reunion. I feel so oooooold.

[​IMG]

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Love the list, Jacquie. :)

I remember being in school (can't remember which grade though as I don't remember the year it happened) and watching that tragedy on the tv in the classroom.

I don't remember how old I was when I first heard about this. But, I think it was in the 80s?

As far as I know, I've always had cable. Well, I may not of when I was 2 or 3 living in Cali. :lol:

I remember a few shows with Johnny still on there... and Ed McMahon.

Haha... we used to have an air popping machine. The popcorn always tasted nasty out of it too. :lol: I've never tried that Jiffy stuff that has to be cooked on the stove (like Drew Barrymore had in Scream).

I think the reason I fear sharks so badly is because my mom was preg with me when she saw that movie (I was born in the late 70s, not sure when the movie came out). :lol:

Okay, I know the first and the last one, but I'm not familiar with that second one. Is that about the cigarettes? :lol:

I took typing my senior year in high school and we had to use a typewriter... even though there were computers then (we had one at home, but of course there wasn't the internet).

So, I have another one...

We always had to research our homework at the library or in books; nowadays, the kids can just search the internet. :D

6. BabaOReilly

Yeah, I don't know the Camel one either. But I found "Where's the Beef" on YouTube and showed it to my foreign friend as well. He laughed out loud!
    Then we watched the Vinnie Babarino dance from Welcome Back Kotter- too hilarious!

7. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

'Where's the beef' is Wendy's, 'De Plain Boss, De Plain' is Fantasy Island, and yes I believe Camel is the cigarettes (I grew up in a town called Marlboro so you never really heard about camel in my area.)

Our first required typing class was junior high. Unfortunately they don't do that any more. :( I took a couple of typing classes in high school but I stopped because I know when I'm making a mistake and would drive the teachers crazy wanting to go back and fix it. :lol:

I remember the day we got cable. I was 14! ;)

The thing I remember most vividly on that list, though, is the shuttle Challenger. :( 1986. I was a senior in high school. The shuttle had gone up enough times we weren't allowed to watch it any more but I was in the computer lab across the hall from the teachers lounge and the doors were open. There were about 8 of us in there and we all heard it through the open doors as well as the shock from the teachers.

Susan

8. Blue

Blue Police Officer

A wonderful good morning my ladies here!!![​IMG]

Thanks for the welcome!!!

I have a "european" list for you; I hope I translated it well:

You are getting old when........

All your house plants are flourishing and nobody is allowed to smoke inside.

You never have sex in a small bed anymore.

There is more food than beer in the fridge!

You get up at 6:00am not sleeping!

You hear your favourite song in the elevator.

You watch the weatherforecast!

Your firends are getting married and divorced instead of fling and chucking.

YOu have less than 130 days holidays!

Jeans and sweater don´t mean you are chic dressed anymore!

YOu call the police because the music is loud!

OLder ones beginn telling dirty jokes although you are around!

YOu don´t know when McDonalds is closing.

Your car insurance is getting cheaper and your car rates are getting higher!

You feedyour cat with catfood and not with remains of pizza and McDonalds!

You get backache when you are sleeping on the couch!
    You make a nap!

Cinema and go eating is the whole date, not the beginning of it!

To eat deepfried food at 3:00 in the morning causes you problems with your stomach and not solves them!

You buy aspirin and digestion help in the drugstore and not rubbers or pregnancy test!

A bottle of wine for 4$ is not a pretty good stuff anymore!

You have coffee and bred for breakfast not beer and fried eggs!

You say: " I can´t drink as much as in former days!" instead of" I will never drink so much anymore!"

90% of the time you spent before the PC is for work!

YOu don´t start drinking at home anymore before you go out to save money!

When you hear that a friend is pregnant you say: Congratulations! instead of "Shit, how could this happen"

Well I love them and I hope you enjoy them too!!!!

THey make me laugh for there´s so much truth in it.
    RIght know I feel quite good. THree years ago I changed the office and I get two very young clerks without any education....:wtf: and respect.
    Thy thought that it was funny to make jokes about age and to be honest that annoyed sometimes.
    But:
    I have my job, a wonderful son, a (sometimes) nice husband (men, need I say more...), a house, my own car, nice friends, my hobbies........all things in random order I think I can be quite confident. But not much, because confidence means deadlock!!!

A wish you all a great day and hopefully a smile on your face with my list!

Hugs to you all!!![​IMG]

Udonna:luvlove:

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

10. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

This getting older is starting to wear thin :eek: I have a shin splint on the lower left leg :eek:

I decided last Tuesday to walk to a couple of stores in the neighbourhood instead of driving. We do a lot of walking at the store and I'm nearly always on my feet. So I go out walking come home and no problems. Wednesday I go to the store and no problem either. Thursday problem starts. I decided to walk to the bank instead of driving. Mistake. My leg was starting to get sorer as I walked. Today I finally went to the doctors and that's when she told me I have a shin splint. So I get to ice it, elevate it and rest it. Well 1 out of 3 I'll be able to do regularly but I'm needed at the store as we're short staffed and are training someone at the same time. Driving can be sore at times as I drive a standard. Oh well I'll just chug along and take my time and hopefully things will work out for me. This will not keep me from my very important get together with some friends in Detroit in 2 weeks :)

11. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I remember all that stuff too and, Blackflag, I was a senior in high school when Challenger exploded. I was in my advance typing class, typing dictation on our Apple IIe's :lol: with headphones on when our principal came over the intercome and told the entire high school about the explosion. It was so surreal. There was just a strange calm through the whole school that day and when you went outside the flag was already at half mast. That's the first time I have ever saw that. You know a lot of people, who were around when Kennedy was shot say they'll never forget where they were and what they were doing when they heard about the assassination. I believe that because I don't think I'll ever forget what I was doing and where I was when the Challenger exploded.

12. BabaOReilly

Yeah, I was in grade school. Everyone was in shock. And then all those astronaut jokes came out... I guess that's how people cope sometimes.

Yeah, I think the Challenger and the 9/11 attacks will be out "JFK" moments. It's sad that most generations have at least one of these moments. But I will also remember watching the inaugeration of President Obama... so they don't all have to be bad I guess. ;)

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I was home sick with the flu when Challenger exploded.

I was staying with a friend when I first separated from my husband and my daughter was 15 months old when 9/11 happened and we were at a mom and tots group when another mom came in and told us and we turned on the nearest tv and watched it. It was awful.

I can't believe life is just passing me by.

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i remember loads of those big events too - i was at work when 9/11 happened, but i remember chernobyl being on the news very very quickly after it happened and challenger was definitely live as they made a big deal of showing the launch (in the uk we were a few hours later so we all stayed up to watch it). the other big one i remember, and probably the one i think about most (although it won't mean much to non-ukers i guess) is hillsborough - my brother and i were both watching the game on the tv and it was just horrible, we didn't want to watch but somehow we couldn't not watch. same with all those events really.

15. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

awww Jac that sucks! Just take your time getting to Detroit! Leave early if you have to! :)

I was also in grade school when the challenger exploded. I remember it being pretty emotional and yes the sick and cruel jokes indeed came out.