Tennis

Tommy Robredo won Hamburg Master Series. :D

robredo060521_300.jpg

Good for him! I like Tommy, not as much as other Spanish players like Nadal or Ferrero but he's cool.
So, any predictions for Roland Garros? I say Nadal, but that is a obvious choice. Others people with chances are Federer (sadly), Nalbandian and I think Safin. But I don't know why I think that, Marat seems to have some troubles lately.

My predictions for Roland Garros,i totaly agree with Joy22 :well Nadal of course (he's very impressive),Federer (world number one and two finals in a row on clay),Nalbandian ...as for Safin ;) i dunno what to think cos he hasn't a lot of landmarks this season.
As for the women competition...Justine Henin is my favorite.
ETA:Coria's withdrawn this afternoon.

kimi said:
ETA:Coria's withdrawn this afternoon.

I'm not that surprised, he has been struggling lately. I don't find it that bad, I really don't like him but as a player he will be missed.

Joy22 said:
I'm not that surprised, he has been struggling lately. I don't find it that bad, I really don't like him but as a player he will be missed.

I don't care that Coria withdrew.Right, he's a good player but he isn't fair play at all...he is said to have no friends on the tennis tour,not really surprising after all.

kimi said:
I don't care that Coria withdrew.Right, he's a good player but he isn't fair play at all...he is said to have no friends on the tennis tour,not really surprising after all.

Really? I didn't know that, I think I have some pictures in which he and Ferrero are playing some table soccer and having a good time but maybe the latter one was just being nice. Nalbandian is usually pretty friendly when they ask him about Coria but I don't think I ever saw pictures of them together except for some charity game they once played together. Well, he has a pretty wife, I'm sure Coria can do without friends on the tour :lol:

I'm so happy for Tommy! :D He's the most underrated of all the Spanish players, and I'm glad to see him win something. It's his time.

I think everyone would look at Nadal as the benchmark for the French Open - he's in a really great form right now.

Joy22 said:

Really? I didn't know that, I think I have some pictures in which he and Ferrero are playing some table soccer and having a good time but maybe the latter one was just being nice. Nalbandian is usually pretty friendly when they ask him about Coria but I don't think I ever saw pictures of them together except for some charity game they once played together. Well, he has a pretty wife, I'm sure Coria can do without friends on the tour :lol:

I'm a tennis addict so i follow it all year long and i have to say i'm sick of watching matches with Coria.No matter the opponent,he always disputes points (even if he knows the ball is good),he really irritates the other players.Besides,he is said to be good at faking sometimes.
Even the sports commentators are a bit reluctant when it's about Coria cause they're pretty bored :mad:.I just don't like his attitude on the court...that's unsporting.
Nevertheless,i really like Gaudio and Nalbandian :D

kimi said:
Nevertheless,i really like Gaudio and Nalbandian :D

I agree with everything you said, I once saw Coria play in Rotterdam and he was whining and complaining the whole match. Which he eventually lost so yay! Also, he had an authograph session and he showed up, got bored after ten minutes and left even though there were lots of people still in line. He's a bit of a jerk!
In comparison, David Nalbandian was also there. He lost his first round match and even though he was angry, he didn't whine once. And when Nalbandian came out and did his autograph session he stayed until everybody had gotten their autograph. He was just a sweet, albeit somewhat shy, guy. A huge difference from the idiot I'd seen the day before.

Each year during Roland garros,the sports press is used to rewarding some players in different categories.I was taking a look at the list of the previous years and i noticed that Nalbandian won the prize in 2004 for the "most unpleasant player"(it is based on their availability towards journalists,on their attitude on the court and so on)but Coria has never won it...not yet :devil:. Sharapova,Hewitt,Rios...i've got nothing to say but Nalbandian really didn't deserve that :(.

kimi said:
Sharapova,Hewitt,Rios...i've got nothing to say but Nalbandian really didn't deserve that :(.

As a person, no, he didn't. But I have noticed that he has very little patience when it concernes the press so it's not a real big surprise :lol: I read his press conferences on a regular basis and if they ask him a question that was asked before he just tells them to look up his previous answer, it's funny :lol:
I think that he feels uncomfortable talking to these people, here is a guy who likes to go fishing in his free time and has lived in the same small town his whole life. I don't think that he likes the attention, he just plays tennis and that's it. I actually talked to him in Rotterdam, not during his autograpg session but after a training and..well...talk is a big word, we exhanged some words. He needed to pass me and I told him that I was glad that he was there and that I think that he is one of the best players out there and he stopped and actually blushed before he said: Thank you, thank you so much.
He seemed like a nice guy to me but I'm not a journalist :D

Joy22 said:
He seemed like a nice guy to me but I'm not a journalist :D

Yeah,and I hope he won't be "rewarded" this year again.One player I love is Safin,he is said to be the most gifted player after or with,it depends,Federer.He has a strong character, of course he breaks a racket sometimes and of course he's a bit a moaner but with him tennis is lively.Actually he seems friendly and I've heard he's really appreciated by both players and journalists.After he won the Australian Open last year,I thought he would give Federer trouble but he got injured.So I'd love to see him make a good tournament in Paris.Nadal is my second favorite,he's such a nice guy,always polite and friendly with everyone on and off court.I'm keen on his accent when he speaks english...his press conferences are always funny I'd say.

kimi said:
Sharapova,Hewitt,Rios...i've got nothing to say but Nalbandian really didn't deserve that :(.

I've always thought of Nalbandian as a nice guy, he seems very low-profile though which is probably why he's not keen on all the attention from the press. And I like Safin, he's kinda scary when he's angry on court but off court he's funny and friendly.

Although, Sharapova as 'Most Unpleasant Player'? I would have thought that the press people are falling over themselves to fawn after her :rolleyes:

I love Safin too and I agree, talentwise Marat could even be better then Federer but he hasn't got what it takes to stay on top for a long time. It seems like he almost scares himself when he plays that well and then he just tries to sabotage his form himself. A thing he does in matches too. I always think that Marat doesn't like the easy wins, he needs a challenge :D
I hope he does well in Paris, I like him but I like a lot of players. I have this pretty big list of people that I want to see shine this couming tournament. Nadal, because he is great to watch on gravel and such a sweet guy, Nalbandian, for reasons stated in previous posts, Ferrero, who is my moms favorite and could use a little luck, Ancic, Haas, Moya, Gonzalez....Hell, I want them all to win :lol:
Well, except for Federer...

Back