TalkCSI LPS #1: Challenge 7 - Texture - FINAL RESULTS UP!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by wibble, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Re: TalkCSI LPS #1: Challenge 7 - Texture

I think the point that wibbs is making is that the theme should not be what we solely judge the photo on. The theme itself is very much secondary and often open to interpretation (for example, I can see examples of texture in all of these photos, but some people think otherwise). The quality of the photo is first and foremost. The 'theme' is very much needed as a guideline for those submitting photos. That's my take on it and I think wibbs has a very good point. :)

2. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

2. Hard to pick one point of focus. Exposure seemed a little off (top left corner a little brighter than bottom right corner)

3. Overexposure on right side plus out of focus across the bottom.

4. Subject too dark, hard to tell them apart. (at first I couldn't even tell what it was that I was looking at)

3. Bev

Bev Pathologist

I agree with Lucy. You have to have a theme or everyone would be submitting pictures of anything. By having a theme, even if its loosely interpretated, it keeps everyone on the same track.

The judging should be done by the quality of the image. Composition, depth of field, and sun flares; to name a few.

4. grissoms_gurl

grissoms_gurl Coroner

03 - the photo is very light on the bottom right, and too dark on the top left.
    04 - the two subjects appear too dark; a bit more light on them would fix that!
    02 - the photo appears a little blurry; perhaps it is too close

5. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

However, you still need to make the theme clear enough for people to recognize. If some of the viewers can't tell where the theme is, then the point of assigning a theme is still lost and it's hard for people to give constructive comments. I'm all for the "everyone's got their own interpretation" theory, but in this case, you're not photographing just for your own interest. Instead, you're submitting photos for people to make comments. I think it is important that people understand what you're tying to express. So here's my suggestion...if you are not sure most people will get the "theme" in your photo, then perhaps it's not a really ideal entry for the theme and you might want to consider submitting another one.

Just my two cents. :)

Also, to the voters...I think it would be wonderful if you could add suggestions apart from giving just plain comments. I believe most people who entered the LPS would love to know not only where the flaws of their photos are but how they can improve.

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I agree that we shouldn't be really be voting based on the theme, because the theme doesn't really relate to the 'quality' of the picture, but is simply the subject matter. Admittedly, it has been really tough to vote in the last few challenges because all the photographs have been so good. Although, in defence of those who mentioned lack of texture in this particular challenge, the examples of good reasons does include:

^This has appeared on all the challenge lists of good reasons, so isn't related to the theme (just in case people might be confused by it) but rather the photograph quality.

wibble, when does the voting close for this challenge?

I think it is quite sad that the LPS challenge started with 24 participants yet only 13 people have voted in this challenge so far. :(

eta: I think the themes have been really great, because they allow everyone participating to get/take a picture to submit. I like that people have been allowed their own interpretation of it. wibbs it has been fun and different, thanks for organising it.

7. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I also agree that the votes shouldn't be based on the theme, and I think that some people were voted out unfairly. And Elsie is right. It's sad that so few people are voting. I know it's hard, but it just doesn't work otherwise. Also, I think that wibble has put a lot of effort into running this for us, and we should appreciate that, and follow the rules she set out for it. I would love to participate in another one of these, but at the moment, I'm not sure she'd be willing to do another one :(

8. Bev

Bev Pathologist

I agreeDragonflyDreamer. I really appreciate the hard work that Wibble put into this and would love it if she does another. However, I understand if she doesn't want too.

I think one of the things that is happening is once people are voted off they don't feel they have to participate any longer. "I'm gone; therefore its over for me". That attitude doesn't work. Everyone who enters needs to participate all the way through. Even if they're eliminated.

Its been a wonderful learning experience for me. I've tried things with my camera I never would have thought of doing.

Thanks Wibble, for getting me off the couch and back to my camera!

9. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Yup thanks a lot wibbs, your hard work is very much appreciated. :)

10. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

McWibbs has some internetproblems so erm...she'll be here when she gets those fixed.

I cannot vote because I don't quite catch the meaning of the theme.

11. crazy_steph

crazy_steph Police Officer

As I was part of this competition I just have to have my say, I've just come on to vote but don't quite understand the theme so feel that my voting would be unfair.

Also the reason I haven't voted in previous rounds is because the round after I was voted out I went away for 10 days, and wasn't able to. Four days after I came back from my hols, my nan was taken into hospital, so my days were spent at work and at nights I took my mum to visit my nan (my reasons for not staying are my own), I then had around an hour till I went to pick her up from the hospital so most nights I didn't switch the computer on. Unfortunately my nan passed away last Saturday night (10th March), so this week I have spent my nights helping my mum to empty the house were my nan lived, as my mum is an only child so has no-one else to help her.

In the past month if I have been on the computer it hasn't been for very long and most of the time I didn't even come on these boards, I know it lokks like my life story, but I felt the need to put it before someone threw up a list of names of people who were in this competition but haven't voted since being kicked out.

Apologies to wibble for going off track there

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

First of all, I just want to say, sorry about your Nan, crazy_steph :(

And as for not understanding the theme, that's okay. You're not supposed to vote on something because it doesn't fit the theme, you're voting for the quality of the picture. I don't think not understanding the theme should be an issue. Does that make any sense at all?

13. wibble

wibble Corpse

*sigh*

Now that I have my internet back and can wade through this mess...

First, there is a theme for each round to try and make things interesting and also, as someone has already pointed out, as a guideline for those participating.

Second, I really do not see what is so difficult to understand when it comes to voting. Just look at the good examples I give in the voting rules post and that should give you enough of an idea of what you should be writing in your critiques. I've said this before, but I'll say it again: if you must comment on the photo's relation to the theme, please make sure you add something else that will help the photographer improve their skills (e.g. it is overexposed).

Third, yes it would be nice if more people voted. Considering the effort I put into running this, it would be considerate of people to spend 5 minutes voting, even if you're not in the competition yourself any more. This doesn't work if people don't vote, and I really don't think I'm asking a lot for people to do that.

Finally, thank you to those who have expressed their thanks to me for running this LPS. It is nice to know that my work is appreciated, even though there are others who don't seem to think I know what I'm doing.

I'll try and get the winners up tomorrow evening when I've had time to make the banners, etc. Apologies for the delay on this - I've had internet problems on and off over the past 2 weeks.

14. inge

inge CSI Level Two

Hi!
    I wanted to apologize for not voting.
    I have to admit I totally underestimated my job. I thought that I'll have more time.
    I worked in January and February 60 hours (inclusive Saturdays) per week and my home-to-office time is 3 hours per day.
    I only had one or two hours free time per day. You can also see in my profile that I'm only writing one or two posts per day since Janauary.

Also, my sweet little laptop crashed and since then the internet connection isn't working very well on my laptop. my other pc is old and it chrashed after the second or third pic and I'm not a very patient person.

I also have to admit I forgot and then I thought, now I wanted to vote and voting was closed.

I also have difficulties to express my opinion sometimes in English.

I know all of the above sound mega lame.

This is a great idea and you did a very good job and also your banners are beautiful as always. :)
    The topics were very creative and I managed to see some of the pics (when my pc let me).

15. Lizzy_004

Lizzy_004 Pathologist

I'm looking forward to the next LPS :D I will definitely enter, and I will vote as much as I can :)