Talk Law & Order Here

Re: Talk Law & Order Here.

Thompson Won't Be Back on 'Law & Order'
May 30, 9:00 PM (ET)
By LYNN ELBER

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Fred Thompson, edging toward a presidential run, is giving up his day job playing a prosecutor on the TV series "Law & Order."

Thompson asked Wednesday to be released from the show after five seasons, series creator and executive producer Dick Wolf said.

"Although he told me he has not made a firm decision about his political future, he felt that given the creative and scheduling constraints of the upcoming season," he should leave "Law & Order," Wolf said in a statement.

The producer lauded Thompson's commitment to "Law & Order" and the new TV movie "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," in which the actor plays a president - Ulysses S. Grant. The film, which Wolf produced, premiered last Sunday on HBO.

Thompson, 64, a former U.S. senator from Tennessee, has yet to announce he's seeking the GOP nomination but has taken steps toward a summer entry into the crowded field. He has been casting himself in speeches and on the Internet as a Reaganesque conservative.

Thompson, a lawyer, began his acting career with the film "Marie" in 1985, about a high-profile legal case he handled in Tennessee and in which he played himself. His credits also include "In the Line of Fire" and "The Hunt for Red October."

Thompson served in the Senate from 1994 to 2002, resuming his Hollywood career when he left. On NBC's "Law & Order," which has been renewed for its 18th year, he played New York District Attorney Arthur Branch.

More Law & Order (The original series) news from TV Guide online:

After guesting as a lawyer in the season finale of Law & Order, Six Feet Under alum Jeremy Sisto is returning to the series this fall as a regular, but this time as a new character, a detective who it's speculated will replace Milena Govich.

Goodness let this one have a sense of humor close to that of Jerry Orbach, if not then :p .. I am sorry but I really couldn't watch Milena Govich I tried and it seemed to me like she either tried to hard to force the character in there or she didn't try at all and fell flat. Usually I tuned in around the time of the court part came on.

Gonna miss Fred Dalton Thompson his lines were really funny, if Jerry were still alive I would have loved to have seen those two in the same room having a conversation I doubt I would have stopped laughing. :D

From svufiles.com

The show opens with Shane Marks, a handsome 14 yrs old kid, diagnosed with gonorrhea. We hear Shane confessing to his pediatrician that he had slept with his teacher, Sarah Riggs. When detectives Stabler and Benson question the woman, Sarah claims that Shane raped her. After the interrogation Sarah disappears. Morales, Fin and Lake track the woman's cell phone and localize her in a clinic where she just had an abortion. The case takes a twist when the detectives follow Shane, and catch him meeting with a prostitute in a hotel.This case and all its repercussions seem to affect particularly Casey, that manages to have Shane held in probation in a private secure treatment center for juvenile sex offenders, when the boy is recognized guilty to have raped Sarah. Shane will be attacked during his detention, and the investigation will discover some squalid particulars about the center. Also: Fin introduces Lake [or Mr. Manners] to Morales as his new partner, Elliot has an heartfelt exchange with Jimmy Riggs, Sarah's husband, when the man, a fervent catholic, finds out his wife has just had an abortion.

From TV Guide online news:

New Law & Order DA Predicts "Fireworks"

Sam Waterston has officially been "promoted" to New York District Attorney on Law & Order, as longtime prosecutor Jack McCoy fills the vacancy dictated by possible presidential candidate Fred Thompson's exit from the role of Arthur Branch. Though he may, as a result, see less screen time, Waterson puts the best spin on the sitch, saying that while the career move is "a logical step" for McCoy, "politics isn't his game." As such, "There'll be fireworks," the veteran actor predicts. "I'm looking forward to it."

Cable-bound L&O Stars: Salary Freeze Is Criminal

Speaking of fireworks....

Series stars Vincent D'Onofrio, Chris Noth and Kathryn Erbe have until 5 pm today to accept a non-pay raise for the new season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, which will be airing on the far more budget-conscious USA Network. Sources tell the Hollywood Reporter, however, that the prospect of a salary freeze is not sitting well with the cast members, who typically enjoy at least a five percent year-to-year bump. Reps for Dick Wolf's production house and NBC Universal declined to comment on the contract talks.

RE The Orginial: Congrads to Sam though I hope he does still have the same amount of screen time, I want to see those fire works, course who will get his place, connie? seems like she hasn't been there long enough, can't wait to see who they get for that.

RE CI: I don't blame the stars for being upset, I mean no offense to SVU but Mariska is considered a very high paid actress with the raise she just got, and I sure other on that show got as well.
Vincent & Kathryn put alot of their time, and energy in the first couple years of the show they deserve it, as it took its toll. Not to mention they got rid of the orginial captain, brought in a new one who probably is getting paid very well. I understand it was CV's decision to leave of his own free will.

IMO scale back all the other show pay raises and make it so there is enough to go around, they paid out so much to keep the stars that they risk losing some, totally not right. As to Chris Noth, the new guy on the block compared to what VD and KE have done.

IMO Comparing the shows (all three)
CI was the only real show where the two lead detectives Carried the about 95% of the show between the two of them. The other 5% would go to Courtney Vance, and Jamey Sheridan.

SVU from the beginning you had almost all the cast involved, Captain, Benson, Stabler, Jefferies, Munch, Finn, Cassidy and so on that carried the show as a team.

The orginial, you had the two lead detectives, and the LT. bringing in at times the ADA and so on.

Honestly ratings I don't know, I again IMO saw SVU taking a turn that made me stop watching it and stick with early repeats on USA, it jumped the shark bounced back and forth and honestly I couldn't get it to hold my attention if I was tied to a chair and had a head brace on to hold my head straight.

CI might not have gotten great ratings but to be honest on this one, it doesn't jump around, I think its downside was the one show its VD and KE and CN and ? (?=whoever) so those who didn't like the second part of the four detective only watched say half the show, UNLESS an ep involved VD and KE. So if the show was airing 22 eps, some might only be watching 11 episodes. That should tell the powers that be something and Vice versa.

As to the orginial heck thats had the revolving door on characters, with the exception of Jerry who left for purposes of his cancer. the only orginials on the show are Anita, Ed, and Jack.

I am sorry but when I first heard about the "Must pick which show not to air on NBC as first run, but rather give to the cable network" I honestly thought that CI didn't get a fair shake. If they are dealing with Cable, lets face it they are going to get possibly more of an audience, look at the closer or dead zone, etc. Therefore I would think it only fair that VD and KE get that raise, CN maybe a small one if warrented.

disclaimer: This is only my opinion and should be taken as such, I never said I hated any of the shows or the actors on them, I respect them all but as does everyone I just have problems with them.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Good intentions have prevailed in the salary dispute between the stars and producers on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent."

Sources said Vincent D'Onofrio, Chris Noth and Kathryn Erbe all agreed Friday to return to the series next season without a raise. Wolf Films and NBC Universal TV Studio had set a Friday 5 p.m. deadline for them to accept the offer. (HR 6/8)

The actors are said to be disappointed because leads on returning series get at least 5% salary increase every year. In the end, it came down to wanting to come back to the show and understanding the financial strain posed by the series' move from NBC to USA Network next season, sources said. (Repeats of the show will air on NBC.)

It's belt-tightening time on the "Law & Order" franchise. Sources indicated that below-the-line crews members are taking 5% to 10% pay cuts next season.

I thought I'd post this for any SVU fans.

There will be an SVU marathon on USA on Sunday August 5th. It begins at 9:00 am and will end at 9:00 pm est.

Yeah, anything I had planned for that day will be canceled.

Btw, nice avvie. Benson and Stabler, my two favorite peeps!

^Me too :D

I ship E/O all the way. Of course, I know there's not going to be a romance, it would throw off the dynamic of the show.

I have heard some talk about what's happening for CI. A temporary actress will replace Wheeler's character while she is off on a "task force operation". But since I can't confirm this right now, take that into account.

From TV Guide online

Criminal Intent Fills Regular's Pregnant Pause

Its berth on USA Network isn't the only change in store for Law & Order: Criminal Intent this season. Alicia Witt (The Upside of Anger, Cybill) has been tapped to join the crime drama as Det. Nola Falacci, a new partner for Chris Noth's Mike Logan.

Witt is subbing, at least temporarily, for Julianne Nicholson, who will miss a string of episodes this season due to maternity leave.

Batman's Dad Is Law & Order's New Crusader

NBC and Law & Order executive producer Dick Wolf announced on Tuesday that British thesp Linus Roache (Kidnapped, Thomas Wayne in Batman Begins) will join the long-running procedural this season in the capacity of executive assistant district attorney — the office formerly held by Sam Waterston's Jack McCoy, who is now the full-on DA.

"I've known Linus' work for several years. He is an actor who totally gets inside his roles," Wolf says in a statement. "I think he and Sam are going to raise the bar and add intellect and passion in the back half of the show."

NBC to Drop Fred Thompson in Reruns

NBC announced that it plans to stop scheduling Law & Order episodes that include Fred Thompson in his role as District Attorney Arthur Branch as of Sept. 1. The network doesn't want to run afoul of the government provision that requires broadcasters to treat legally qualified political candidates equally when it comes to selling or giving away airtime.

More Short Cuts

Law & Order: SVU's Richard Belzer is penning for Simon & Schuster a mystery series featuring himself as a TV actor who solves real crimes.

Haha. Belzer, I love you. I bet that's gonna be funny reading.

And poor Mike. He just can't seem to hang onto a partner.

I wonder if Julianne will be back?

Congrads to Julianne.

Aww the political crap common Fred was cool on the show and funny and the highlight honestly.

Okay the other I will have to come back an re-read and comment then.

Back