Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

Happy Turkey day everyone! Technically, it's tomorrow, but my family has always celebrated on Sunday :p

It's going to be just me, my parents and sister this year, nice and cozy. My mom's doing the whole big turkey dinner, and I volunteered to do the pies this year. Mmm... turkey... :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving y'all! We're having our dinner Sunday instead of Monday as well--Sunday's always been a family get together time so it made sense. I almost forgot too, even though I saw the bigass turkey in the sink yesterday.

Can't wait for cherry pie. :drool: I'm not a big fan of pumpkin pie myself, heh.

Last edited:
Thanks.gif

I'm having my parents and a sister over for dinner on Monday. I would prefer Sunday but my sister has to work on Sunday so Monday it is. This will be the first time in years that we are celebrating Thanksgiving. It gets difficult with my hubby's gluten free diet when it comes to others preparing the food. So this year I decided to do it and as always the whole meal is gluten free :)

my family has always come down on the sunday because they would stay over. we used to go apple picking on the monday, but over the years all the pick-your-own apple orchards closed up :( this afternoon i had a video conference with the family over the computer, my mom asked if i wanted to see the pies and i said NO :lol: i dont want to know about the food i miss out on :( but i did get my revenge by putting my webcam up to the window to show the aunts/uncles/grandparents my view of the ocean :D

i had turkey bacon at breakfast and that was my thanksgivingy food... one of the student clubs here puts on a thanksgiving, but its at the time of the american one

all_hallows_eve in case you really are missing the pumpkin pie :) Now hopefully it will taste as good as it looks :)

One of my mums :) the other one we have is a few years old and is yellow. We thought we'd add a different colour one this year :)

thats a good looking pie Jac!

here is a short article of products from the states that we cant buy in canada. most of them i dont mind, and there are others i wish we had easier access to. one of my favourite candy bars, take 5 or max 5 (they changed the name, i forget what it is now) is no longer in canada. at least i havent seen it in years, and they have it in grenada for crying out loud!! :lol:

Yeah, when i went to England, there were piles of junk food that we don't get here! Like chocolate cadbury mouse cups, like pudding, but mouse. SO good.

I have entered a CSI contest, on CTV...haven't heard anyone on here talk about it, but i put together a little something for it.

http://livethedrama.ctv.ca/media-csi/363632?page=1

^^ that's my entry, so if anyone wants to *ahem* vote for me, that would be super :)

I don't watch CSI on CTV :D I wait until 9 to watch it on CBS :) so I didn't even know there was a contest. The only time lately that I turn on the boob tube is to watch the 3 CSI shows, NCIS and the final season of Air Farce. In my opinion there isn't anything else worthwhile on TV.

all_hallows_eve the pumpkin pie was delicious by the way :)

Autumn is officially upon us. We put the summer furniture away yesterday and put the bird feeder out for the winter. Now that the cats can't go out on the back deck as frequently as they can in the good weather we need something to entertain them and the birds do well :)

The temperatures have been a little on the nippy side these last few days. We even had a touch of snow on Tuesdays. Places north of Barrie saw some accumulation while here we just had wet flakes mixed in with rain.

We haven't had any snow yet, but when the left the house yesterday, the grass was white with frost :( I wasn't impressed with that. Although, it turned out to be not too bad of a day.

Does anyone have any ideas for a quick and easy and warm halloween costume? I'm going trick-or-treating with a group collecting non-perishable items for the food bank. It's organized by my university, and they do it every year.

Does anyone have any ideas for a quick and easy and warm halloween costume? I'm going trick-or-treating with a group collecting non-perishable items for the food bank. It's organized by my university, and they do it every year.

great idea :)

How about going as a CSI :) all you would need is a vest and to put Crime Scene Investigator on the back. Wear a ball cap, carry a flashlight, stuff your pockets with latex gloves, q-tips and anything else the seasoned CSI needs :) A vest should be easily worn over layers of clothes :)

We got frost this morning. Mind you Toronto didn't. We figured that there must have been a city council meeting last night and all the hot air from that is still trapped in the city :guffaw:

so i heard some parts of the gta had snow last week... :p my roommate from undergrad lives in downtown toronto and told me they had some snow but it didnt stick around. i think it was last week or the week before my parents caved and turned the furnace on. and yep, not gonna mention what temperature it is here. nope, not gonna do it ;)

so can someone explain to me how they set the exchange rate??? the canadian dollar has plummeted in the last few weeks and i dont get it. i know the global economy is bad, but im pretty sure were not as bad as the states so it doesnt make sense to me that their dollar is so much higher. plus it sucks because i pay all my schooling and rent in american dollars :(

ps i am dying for a timmies blueberry fritter and some lays ketchup chips!!

I hope everyone had a good Halloween! Jacquie, I used your suggestion of going as a CSI. I procrastinated a bit too much in getting it ready, so I ran into a few problems along the way, but it got me through the night :lol:

My food drive went really well. The university collected over 6000 pounds of food :eek: :eek: that's 2000lbs more than last year.

It was a bit of a competition as well, and my team came in second.... for the 3rd year in a row. But at least we lost to someone different this time :lol:

DragonflyDreamer congrats on a job well done to everyone at your University. I was mentioning to someone that what your university was doing and they liked the idea. If they haven't done it your uni should challenge others to a friendly competition next year. That way a lot more people benefit :)

Thanks Jacquie :) We actually "compete" against the local Community College. There's a bet between the student body presidents over which school can collect more food. The loosing president has to do something like dress up as a cheerlead at the other school's next big game and cheer for them. I haven't heard yet who won this year,

Back