Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

ps i am dying for a timmies blueberry fritter and some lays ketchup chips!!

I have a timmies in walking distance from my work....mmmmmmm, turkey bacon club for lunch :D

Apparently the canadian dollar is going up again...so who knows what will happen. My store is pretty dead right now, especially since we have started the christmas season officially. All of the future shop signage is now christmas, and we will be starting the music probably this weekend.

^ at least they made it into november before starting the christmas madness! last year my parents picked me up in guelph the weekend before halloween, and on the way home we stopped in waterloo (to visit family there) and went into canadian tire. it wasnt even halloween yet and the candy and decorations were all on sale and they had the christmas stuff out :eek: they seem to get earlier and earlier every year, my mom always threatened to move out of the house if the christmas tree was up before december 1st :lol: but sometimes dad would get it up on american thanksgiving (he takes the afternoon off to watch the football) and she still stuck around.

ok i have a question. i know in canada ketchup is a food group, so do any of you eat grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup? i do and the americans down here all think im crazy :lol:

ok i have a question. i know in canada ketchup is a food group, so do any of you eat grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup? i do and the americans down here all think im crazy :lol:

I used to eat my grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup and I loved them that way, but not anymore. I don't use ketchup at all for that matter. I like my french fries with vinegar. And the best vinegar for them is Malt Vinegar but since I don't use malt anymore white vinegar does just as well.

I've been avoiding the stores so I don't know what's going on with Christmas. We are starting to get the toys in our store so sometime this week we need to figure out where we will put the display and get it out. Most of our Christmas sales occur the week or two before but we do get some early shoppers.

I just bought some ketchup chips....mmmmmm. Couldn't live without ketchup, we go through bottles of it. Yes, i do eat it with grilled cheese, but i think it is more of a eastern thing, cause no one did it in Vancouver. I discovered it in university, and it is glorious.

Most of our Christmas sales occur the week or two before but we do get some early shoppers.

wow lucky. I have had christmas shoppers since the beginning of september. And gaming is one thing that has not been affected that much by the economy, people will skimp on their gas, food and clothes, but they must have that wii. Of course now everyone wants the new guitar hero bundle with the drums. I was lucky enough to pick up the bundle (the perks of working at FS)...sweet game. You should see how crazy parents get, i have already been yelled at a couple of times over the wii fit!

So for the first time since transfer payments to the provinces started, Ontario is finally getting some money from the federal government. We're only getting just over $300million dollars in 2009-2010. Now to some that may seem a lot but when you look at the top money getter which is Quebec it's peanuts. Quebec will get over $8billion in transfer payments. Yes that's correct billion :brickwall: :scream:

So on another note how many of you get a discount from you local coffee shop when you take your travel mugs in for a coffee or tea. The Second Cup I go to when at the store gives either $0.10 for two refills or $0.20. It depends on who's ringing in the sale. We have a Timmys and a Starbucks also in the area but I don't know if they give a discount as the hubby and I prefer Second Cup for our beverages.

Of course, it's Quebec :rolleyes:

At my university, if you used a reusable mug, they would charge you the price for a small, no matter the size. That was a good idea, timmies should do that.

So my 7 year old dog has been diagnosed with terminal lymphoma :( I don't know what i will do with out Ben :( The vet said he has about 1-3 months left.

So how many of you and or your parents have signed up for the National Do Not Call list. We did back on the first day that you could register. Guess what we've had 3 phone calls today from damn telemarketers :brickwall: :brickwall: The interesting thing is if they call you on your cell phone they are calling from a number that says either 0's or 9's. Don't know what they'll show up on the home phone as as we don't have call display. So beware of the National Do Not Call Lists. This Canadian Public Service Announcement was brought to you by a pissed off Canadian :guffaw:

Congrats to the Calgary Stampeders in beating the Montreal Alouettes in the 96th Grey Cup. I don't follow the CFL but it's always nice to keep an eye on who wins what in the country :)

This thread doesn't get as much attention as it used to, so I bring ketchup chips, poutine, and REAL maple syrup in an attempt to lure people in ;)

I also found 2 "How Canadian Are You?" quizzes

Quiz 1 This one told me I'm 85% Canadian

Quiz 2 This one told me I'm 100% Canadian.

So, how Canadian are you?

I'm lured! *takes some maple syrup and pours it on her bacon* Okay, seriously, I don't like that, but hey separate they're great, and who doesn't love poutine? :D

On Quiz 1 I got 85% Canadian.
On Quiz 2 I got 100% Canadian.

Same as DragonflyDreamer. :lol:

I'll take the maple syrup to pour on my pancakes and waffles but I'll pass on the poutine and ketchup chips. I've never tried poutine but the thought of gravy and cheese on french fries is gross in my opinion. The only way to eat french fries is with vinegar :)

I am 100% Canadian on both quizzes :) does that mean I get to stay :)

Thanks for the quizzes Megan :)

On the first quiz, I'm 53% Canadian and on the second, I'm 100% Canadian. So I think I'll go with the last one. ;) (Although I wish they had spelled Edmonton correctly.)

Jacquie said:
I've never tried poutine but the thought of gravy and cheese on french fries is gross in my opinion.

I find poutine quite good but it depends - at least for me - on the quality of the gravy. Burger King made some pretty mean poutine back in the day but they took our Burger King away so now I rarely have poutine. I'm more of a fries and ketchup kind of girl anyhow. :D (Seriously, I put ketchup on everything. That and sour cream)

Thanks for the quizzes, Megan, they were a lot of fun. My favourite question was what we keep in our junk drawers. Canadian Tire Money of course. :D

Also, for some reason, I never did understand why people think Canadians don't lock their doors. (especially nowadays) Sure we're known as pretty trusting/honest people and maybe there are some who don't lock their doors at night but there are rapists, thieves and idiots roaming the streets here just like any other country.

Anyway, just thought I'd get that out. Maybe it goes back to decades and decades ago when communities were more closely-knit? Not sure. Even if that's the case, it's a little strange to assume it's stayed that way. (I remember an interview with Rory Cochrane where he said we don't lock our doors at night and my response was :wtf: what part of Canada is he talking about?)

Or y'know maybe some people think it's always 50 below here and there's no point in freezing to death for some furniture and electronics. :p

Last edited:
im 100% canadian on both quizzes :D

we only lock our front door when we leave or over night. the garage door is hardly ever locked (i dont think anyone in my family actually has a key for it :lol:) the doors to the backyard are alway locked. since we dont use them too often its easier. all our friends just walk in the front door when they come over. its easier and we dont have to get up to answer it :lol:

i dislike poutine immensely. but mostly because i dont like gravy of any kind. ketchup only, unless there is malt vinegar around. that stuff is tasty. one girl in my class asked me to bring her some maple syrup for her when we come back in january. i told her id get her the canadian stuff and not the vermont :lol: but then when i told my mom she asked 'ontario or quebec?' :p

I'll take the maple syrup to pour on my pancakes and waffles but I'll pass on the poutine and ketchup chips. I've never tried poutine but the thought of gravy and cheese on french fries is gross in my opinion. The only way to eat french fries is with vinegar :)
:eek: Gravy, cheese, AND vinegar! No ketchup. :p

I also don't get why people think we don't lock our doors. Of course we do! It's scary out there... :wtf: Maybe they just think every Canadian is a good Canadian, no need to worry.

I lock the front door even when I'm home. You can't hear if anyone's at the door. Sometimes you can't hear the doorbell if you're at the back of the house. Now there have been a couple of times where we've left the front door unlocked at night but fortunately nothing has happened.

My parents now live north of Toronto and they will leave there back door unlocked sometimes. They live on a side street 3 houses in from the main drag. It's safe for them to leave the door unlocked.

allmaple buy the local maple syrup :) I think the one I buy is from Ontario but I've never checked. Will have to later :)

Back