Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

Well allmaple I guess I know what your full name is now allmaple procrastination Stokes :guffaw: but seriously congrats on your hopeful graduation this June. I hope you get your course finished :) Is this the end of school for you or do you still have more to do.

oh im still graduating, this is just an extra course for a program i am applying to for the fall :p im applying to vet school in grenada (yay no winter for 4 years! :lol:) and really really really want to get in. ill just phone western like every day until they put me into the course :lol:

my mom told me she was watching the news yesturday, and they had a story about all the snow melting and revealing the garbage that has been covered for months. and in every shot there were some tim hortons cups. and its so true! there are tim hortons cups all over here in guelph, people are so disgusting. when i go to the bus stop the little shelter is full of them, and all around the bench are cups. the worst part? there is a garbage can at the bus stop!! what is wrong with people??? tim hortons needs to have a campaign addressing their coffee drinkers and asking them not to litter. the cups can be recycled for crying out loud!! *end rant* :lol:

It's jsut not Timmy's cups that get thrown out. You wouldn't believe the number of times we have to throw out other people's doggie bags. People are jsut so inconsiderate. They leave them in front of the store. Everybody can see they have a dog and knows what comes with owning a dog but no they have to drop them in front of the store.

I also find that people like to use the off ramps from highways as a garbage dump. Canada is such a beautiful country and some people are jsut turning it into a garbage dump :scream:

If the politicians can do one thing right pass this bill to get rid of the penny!

I agree! just make all the prices end off with 5 cents, instead of 99...

xfcanadian wow you shock Gary Sinise's hand. That's great :) What was the occasion?

ooo i went to see his band perform at the Fallsview in Niagara for my bday, and ended up on stage! I posted my experience in this thread here, 7 posts down if you care to read it:

http://talk.csifiles.com/showthread.php?t=55016&page=29

but still have to take organic chemistry in the summer because i avoided it for four years

see western?? this is why i did not choose you for my undergrad, because you are stupid. :lol:

oh and i finally won something in roll up the rim to loose.... i mean win... a coffee. great prize for someone who hates coffee eh? i gave it to my mom.

don't blame you, guelph's chem is brutal, and i was good at it in high school. Yeah, western does suck :lol: I agree...we are way better in every way :) I know about leaving things to the last moment, i JUST applied to graduate. Yikes, that was cutting it close...and i still don't know if i will be approved yet. Nail bitting. And after all that money spent, i still have to pay to leave.

You don't have to get coffee with those, you can get tea, and i think hot chocolate (don't quote me on that!). I must say, Timmies has gone cheap this year. Boo...i don't win anything anymore.

i reached a point where i thought no way i was getting into vet school at guelph, so started looking at other schools. guelph didnt need organic chem as a prereq, but every other school does! :eek: hopefully i can go to st. georges, the more i read about it the better it sounded. and i think if you meet their requirements, can afford it, and get your application in early you get in. i know people in med school there. im sending off my application hopefully on monday (their deadline is june, so im really early) and have no back up plans. i know that is a really bad idea, but the only thing i wanted to do for grad school the prof couldnt take me and said contact her again for fall 2009, so i will probably work and get organized to apply to grad school and grants etc. but hopefully i dont have to worry about that and will be in the caribbean instead :D

well, getting into vet school at guelph is next too impossible! Loads of competition, way harder than med school. Sounds great into the warmth, especially after this winter! Very lucky that you can afford it...i am so broke :lol: I had to pay for every cent myself, so naturally I have tons of debt. But can you still practice in canada? Cause i know for somethings, like engineering and medicine, it gets complicated when taking the schooling somewhere else. But it sounds like you did good in school, applying to grad school and all, so kudos, that is hard in science.

Don't worry, you are not the only one without a backup :lol: I am going to work to applying to the Toronto police force...so if i don't make it, well, i don't know what else to do! Nothing like majoring in genetics and not using it. Oh well, i have a strong science background, and that will help me, since i want to be on the forensic unit. I have to be a cop first though...

xfcanadian thanks for sharing the story about meeting Gary Sinise :) Lucky girl :) Have you thought about applying to other forces than just Toronto? You may have better luck on some of the other forces.

allmaple if you do get to go to Grenada for vet school we will send you plenty of snow to make you feel right at home :guffaw:

Well, the tests for all the forces are pretty similar. I actually live in the Halton region, but since there is only like one murder a year here, I want to go to the Toronto force with more violent crime. Makes for a bigger forensics unit. Also helps that i am female, sounds bad...but they do have to fill a quota for females. Plus, I have heard that they have trouble keeping people, especially females on the forensic units. Jobs like that have a high burnout rate. I am qualified to work in the lab, especially the DNA section, but there are very few lab jobs in canada. I find the field work more interesting, and i am also interested in Homicide cases, and criminal profiling.

I am worried about the physical test, it looks tough. I will have to work out like crazy to get in shape. University has done horrors to my figure :lol: I am a little worried about a background check as well...i don't have a criminal record or anything like that, but i went through a bit of a rough period when i was younger.

xfcanadian hopefully they will see that you've over come your rough patch and see that you are a stronger person for it :) And yes good old Toronto with its high murder rate :scream: Now that the weather is getting warmer it's likely to bring the boredom out for people with no desire to get a better life for themselves and will start causing problems for everyone. Oh did I just say that!

But can you still practice in canada? Cause i know for somethings, like engineering and medicine, it gets complicated when taking the schooling somewhere else.

yeah, st. georges has full avma accreditation so you just have to write the licensing exam for canada. i had a huge fight with my mother because for some reason she would not accept that as an answer. when i showed her the website and what accreditation means (since its worded as the school meets the minimum requirements) she went on a rant about 'do you want to go to a school that only meets the minimum?' so i told her guelph is accredited, and guelph meets the minimum, there is no classification of more than the minimum. and then i found information that their vet school and med school have a better pass rate than american schools, so she stopped bugging me :lol:

and i wouldnt imagine a small town police force would have a very thrilling forensics unit. it would be like that episode 'jackpot' or whatever it was called. and theres no shortage of crimes in toronto to keep you busy. good for you, but bad for toronto i guess.

and Jacquie, you so know how i feel about snow. if i ended up in grenada i would have sent warm sunshiney thoughts to canada, but now im just not so sure :p:guffaw:

OK allmaple here's the deal. If you go to school in Grenada I won't send you any snow or snowy thoughts if you do send us some sunny and warm thoughts :)

What I find interesting is in a country the size of Canada there are only 2 Vet Schools. At least I think there are still only 2 schools. If more and more people are wanting to become Vets why don't they have more schools :confused: I know you're going to say cost but jsut think of the money everyone would save if there were more schools.

there are currently 5 schools. one in p.e.i, you have to be an atlantic resident to apply, one in quebec, it is french speaking, one in alberta and a new one in saskatchewan, you have to be a resident of the prairie provinces to apply, and then guelph is a free for all. they reserve i think 100 out of 105 or so spots for canadians but do not distinguish between the provinces. at least for guelph they have 3-400 people apply every year for those 100 spots. which is why i realized it wasnt going to happen. my marks were average but my vet experience is not. and theres all these people who have been working in a clinic since they were like 5, or live on a farm. without connections to get into a clinic it is very hard. especially with the vet school being in guelph, all the clinics in the city already have student volunteers and theres no where to get experience.

yeah, st. georges has full avma accreditation so you just have to write the licensing exam for canada. i had a huge fight with my mother because for some reason she would not accept that as an answer.

ahhh...yeah, that is a good loop hole! A lot of those schools are good, because they want to attract north american students, so they keep their standards the same as us. Lucky lucky to get away from the snow, i envy you :thumbsup:

Ah parents. I know all about this. My parents have no clue about university or what i am taking. First of all, they don't know what molecular biology is, and they can't remember my major. My dad is mad i switched out of engineering, because he wants me to make lots of money, and was even more mad when i told him scientists don't make a lot. And now that i have decided to pursue forensics..well, he thinks i have wasted 5 years and lots of money, because you don't 'need' a degree to become a police officer. He doesn't understand that you do need a scientific background for forensics whether your a cop or not, but he doesn't get it. Plus, i have a full degree, so i can do other jobs, and it will give me an advantage. Arrgghhh!

And yes good old Toronto with its high murder rate

actually when you look at Canadian cities as rates Toronto comes in as the 25th most dangerous city in canada :lol: Rates are counted per 1000 people, and although the volume for crime is much higher in TO, there are more people, so the rate is lower. Also, you don't hear about crime in places like Regina or Winnipeg, which are way more dangerous than TO. I might go to Vancouver, which is number 8 on the list...forensics is huge there, it has a lot more crime than TO. I was born and grew up there, i kind of miss the rain ;)

Also, when you look at murder rates of major cities from around the world, TO is in the top 5 of safest. Beware of media hype...

Hi fellow Canadians :)

xfcanadian, that is interesting. I know Edmonton was #1 in Canada for while, dont know where it stands on the crime charts now though.

Back