Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

does anyone watch the show 'how i met your mother'? last night james van der beek (or whatever his name is) was a guest and someone the character robyn knew from her childhood back in canada. his attempt at a canadian accent was terrible! it was like a horrible scottish accent. im assuming they were trying to do the stereotypical maritime accent but it was so bad it was almost unbearable to watch! it would have been more realistic with no accent, since i think they said they were in winipeg. i guess they were trying to be funny but it really didnt work. i love poking fun at canada, but this failed miserably. which was too bad, since how i met your mother is one of the best comedies on tv right now.

the one joke that i thought was amazing, when robyn said she dated this guy for a week and a half. her friends say 'i thought you dated him all summer?' she says yes, thats all the summer you get in canada :lol: certainly feels that way sometimes doesnt it?

:lol: that is pretty funny. I wonder if they have a canadian writer? Canada isn't usually mentioned in american show. Ulg, i hate when they pull out that fake canadian accent. Most of us just sound like northern americans. I guess it could have been worse...could be like Justin Timerlake's french canadian accent in that new move 'the love guru' :lol: seriously, watch the trailer...i like how Mike Myers loves canada, but does he have to embarrass us THAT much.

Well the TTC went and did it. They voted against the contract that the unions and city hashed out last weekend :brickwall: :censored: They walked out at midnight Friday and will probably be forced back to work for Tuesday. It's not going to help Mondays drive to work though.

Some points the unions didn't like:

The maintenance workers don't seem to be happy with the TTC getting new buses and such. It seems the new pieces of equipment will come with warranties which mean they won't be able to service the new vehicles. Dah guys most new vehicles come with service contracts.

The workers are also unhappy with having to fight to get there full pay if they are injured. When was the last time you got full pay when you were off work because of an injury. The workers here are unhappy because the have to go to a tribunal to fight for full benefits.

All I can say this is more reasons why I don't take public transit. TTC stands for Take The Car not Toronto Transit Commission.

oh please...they are still better off than most people in the private sector :rolleyes: Stupid Unions...i am sure there are lots of people who would be willing to work for what is offered now. That was really crappy of them not to announce it until last minute, feel bad for the people who went downtown last night. Pretty much left stranded.

On a better note, just found out i am graduating yay! I just squeaked by, it was way to close. Phew..i just was so burnt out this semester, could not study at all. Ended up with a 50% in one of my fourth year classes :lol: Oh snap, that was close. And they are going to wave the 0.25 credits that i am short. Still feel cheated over my major, but its the courses i took that really counts.

congratulations.gif
on your graduation xfcanadian. It was really great of the university to let you slip by without that .25 credit :)

The Ontario Legislature has been recalled for Sunday to vote the TTC back to work. It will still be an interesting commute on Monday though. Mayor Miller, who is a union guy, was not happy with what the TTC did. He's said a contract is a contract and that the union executive should have done their job and sold the union on the contract. For once I agree with Miller. But please don't tell anyone that I agree with him :guffaw:

Last edited:
Miller isn't THAT bad :lol: Well, i live in the suburbs though...

I saw a funny picture in the toronto star today, it was graffiti on a subway entrance, said 'If you want $30 an hour go to University" :lol: Now THAT is funny, and true. This whole thing reminds me of the BC fairy workers. They could easily build a bridge instead of over charging everyone to ride a fairy, but no, the union stopped that from happening.

congrats xfcanadian! i did better than i though in most classes too. i was so worried about looking at the marks but it wasnt that bad. see you at graduation! :p :lol:

Well the TTC strike is over. The Ontario legislature passed a unanimous bill ordering all 9,000 employees back to work. The bill passed in 31 minutes. So hopefully Monday morning usual traffic head ache should be any worse.

allmaple congrats on passing university as well :) Any word on were you are going for your missing organics class?

probably like 99% in guelph :mad: stupid western. i was on the phone for like 30 minutes with 5 different people. i kept getting 'i cant help you, ill forward your call to this person'. then when i got to the end of the line i got 'i cant help you'. this is why western sucks, and i never wanted to go there. i never wanted to apply, but my parents made me even though i told them i wouldnt go if i got in.

Jacquie, have you ever noticed your banner is a tit bit nipply? :p very nice

*crickets* :p

sooo....another canadian mod! yippee! we are taking over the board :D

so i have started my course in guelph, and during one commute on the back roads i saw some signs that spring is truly here and summer is on the way...baby animals! the miniature pony farm had one foal, there were several lambs on another farm, and baby belgian draft horses at another farm. cuteness to the max! next time i will have to bring a camera and pull over.

so what does everyone think of the woman fired from tim hortons for giving a crying baby a timbit? it happened in my city, and is so ridiculously stupid. glad she got her job back. i mean honestly, i have gone in for a 20 pack of timbits and gotten at least 40 so many times and this lady gets fired over one??

sooo....another canadian mod! yippee! we are taking over the board :D

coolio-1.gif
I think there is a least four of us now
Canada.gif

allmaple I take it you are commuting back and forth while taking this course. Is it a one class a week course or are you doing this daily.

Yes I seen some of the newbies around here. Primarily it's the baby geese but the birds and ducks are sure to follow :)

Oh and don't get me started on the Timmy's issue. I think that was soooo ridiculous what happened to the poor woman all for a 16cent treat :censored: In the Toronto Sun the day or two afterwards they were talking to this woman and she said that she thought she was fired because she complained about the lack of attendance by a manager at a meeting.

Jacquie congrats!! the canucks are invading :p ....and your banner makes me giggle :lol:

The timmies thing was pretty stupid. I mean, it was ONE timbit. I am wondering if other stuff went on that we didn't know about though...or maybe the manager was just a jerk off. Timmy employees used to get free food anyways...not sure now, but i know they used to. Thats nothing like at my store, where 30 x-box games were stolen in a week...by an employee, since the ones missing were locked up in the back. Yikes!

Allmaple, are you taking the extra course on top on graduating, or did you move your graduation back? I enjoyed the commute to school this year, it was peaceful :lol: I need to move out! The weather is so nice in the summer on campus, i kind of wish they had the summer semester as a main one, with winter off.

If I had the money I would try living on campus (I just got into my first choice, btw) but it's crazy expensive, so I don't. Of course the Go Transit isn't exactly cheap, but it's the better alternative.

It scares me to think I'll be relying on the TTC next year. Especially considering how strike happy they are.:rolleyes:

LibertyBell congrats on getting accepted to university or college and at your first location :)

Ah yes the good old TTC which really stands for Take The Car :guffaw:but serious you should be good for another 3 years. Even though I haven't read about any strike settlement when the workers are legislated back to work like they were it usually means we are strike free until the next time the contract is up for renewal. Maybe by then Toronto will have enough guts to ask the Province to make then an essential service.

And before I forget I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Victoria Day. mind you at the moment it's wet and cool out. Monday's forecast is for dry temps but cooler weather. So much for the unofficial start to summer :)

Take The Car!:guffaw:I love that.

Yeah, I know, but they're not exactly afraid of wildcat strikes (remember '06?), that's what worries me. Fingers crossed.

Btw, I forgot to say it before, but congrats on the Mod appointment Jacquie (I'm probably very very very late here, but I don't get on this board much anymore).

Back