Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

Re: Canadian Thread #5

HAPPY NEW YEAR as well

although celebrating blew last night. Had a nasty storm hit around supper and didn't let up until around 4. They canceled fireworks and many things.....of well! For the first time in 12 years, I stayed home and had my own party...lol! A heck of a lot better then I expected, but then, when you have a little alcohol....well....:lol:

Happy New Year, to all us TalkCSI Canadians, hope you all had a safe and healthy one.

It's still snowing here, but the winds have died down. :lol: :lol:

Happy New Year guys. ;)

The snow stopped around mid day here, but I don't know how long it's going to take to get cleaned up, and a lot of people are back to work tomorrow...:rolleyes:

Congratulations to the Men's Junior Hockey Team for winning the gold medal at the World Championships. Maybe the Make BeLeafs should hire the team to replace the so called players they have playing for them.

Maybe the Make BeLeafs

That's cute, in our family when we go to the game, we call them the "Make me laugh's, and I agree, they need to hire these Junior's to show our senior's how to play :)

Didn't have to dig down to far to unbury the theme :)

So I think some of the youth of Toronto have too much time on their hands. This morning we go into work and found a defunct restaurant sign literally in front of our stores door. It took both my husband and I to move this sign so it would have taken at least 2 or 3 youths to move it. We now have to figure out what to do with this sign. I figure the easiest thing to do is to take it back down the one block to put it back with the defunct restaurant. What ever happened to just putting toilet paper in the trees of your neighbours.

Sometimes it does seem like some youths have too much time on their hands. Or just Parents who don't pay enough attention to their kids. It seems that In Manitoba that the crime rate in Youths is going up, I've heard on the news about Stabbings that we're done by teenagers. There was one just this week. It's really getting terrible In Winnipeg. I think it was in October of 2006, A boy from my school, in the other Grade 8 class, saw some kids doing I guess mischievous things so he went over to say something to them you know to tell them to stop, and all of them put him in a shed and set it on fire.He has spinabifita. He was okay, a neighbour got him out but the kids who did this we're all in between the ages of 8 and 10. And what do these kids get? Nothing, they get Squat because they are to young to "understand" what they are doing. In my opinion if you know how to shove a kid into a shed, lock him in there, and set it on fire, then your old enough to get the punishment you deserve. This kid hasn't been back at our school since then.

on an other topic, we're sooo lucky for Monday, we might get a Blizzard! Isn't that just sooo exciting, I got exams next week and the last thing I need is a blizzard, I just wanna get these exams over with!

They really should change our exam system. It's getting ridiculous. Classes for first semester ended on the 22nd, well, no, there were classes for about twelve seconds on the 23rd, but nobody ever goes then (yet another reason to change the system), but my exams weren't until the 25th and the 28th, and we're off until the beginning of semester two on the 1st (which is a Friday, I might add). That system is so messed up it's not even funny. Why don't we just do what the Americans do? Split the exams in half, have half on one day, and half on the next day. That way, people are not just sitting around not able to enjoy the break because their exams are smack in the middle, and people don't have to trek out into the snow on FOUR SEPARATE OCCASIONS. Sometimes I honestly can't believe that such a developed country like Canada has such a backwards system.

erm, im not sure what the problem is. from what i remember, there were a few days of exams and then two days at the end of the exam schedule as a 'turn around' before next semester started. to make the semester start on a monday. i know i wouldnt have wanted all my exams in a two day period, it was better to spread them out so you werent cramming for so many different things at the same time. same with university exams. plus they have to schedule them when there is a room available with the least amount of conflicts. *shrugs* i never had a problem with mine.

on a happier canadian note... michael buble is finally on his canadian tour!! i think he did the east coast already, and i saw him in london last night. if you can catch him as he heads west i would definitely recommend the show. it was the most entertaining concert i have been to so far. he was kind of a dirty bird actually, but so cute! i loves him. he kept adding little canadian touches to his songs, it was fun.

What I find even more interesting about the schools at least here in the GTA is that in some schools boards you have schools that work on semesters and others that work on terms. The high school I went to had terms so we had exams that you had to do twice a year and if your marks were good enough you didn't have to do the final exams in June. I don't think I would have faired too well with semester. I can't imagine having math in semester 1 one year and then have it in the 2nd semester the next year. Now I didn't know that the US has their exam schedules set up the way you say they have LibertyBell it certainly does make sense. But hey this is Canada we aren't suppose to make sense :lol:

And now for the too much time on their hands dept. This time it an adult that has too much time on their hands. Have you heard about the young boy in Barrie that was sent home from school on Friday because he dyed his hair blue in honour of his hockey team making the playoffs. The principal will let him back in when his hair is no longer blue. The principal feels the hair could represent the boy belong to a club or gang or some such thing. Let the boy have fun. I would love to see his whole class show up for school on Monday with all their hairs dyed blue to show support for him.

Wow, I thought my high school was getting strict about things by the time I graduated, but we were allowed to have whatever colour hair we wanted :lol: I think that's getting a bit ridiculous :rolleyes:

erm, im not sure what the problem is. from what i remember, there were a few days of exams and then two days at the end of the exam schedule as a 'turn around' before next semester started. to make the semester start on a monday. i know i wouldnt have wanted all my exams in a two day period, it was better to spread them out so you werent cramming for so many different things at the same time. same with university exams. plus they have to schedule them when there is a room available with the least amount of conflicts. *shrugs* i never had a problem with mine.

Well, that's not the system anymore. They randomly schedule exams over a six day period and that brings up a LOT of exam conflicts (I've never had one, but I know several people that have). Then there is one turn around day. With school starting on a Friday for semester two, you're not going to get a very good attendance either.

Oh, and one other thing I didn't mention about the American system: Their exams do not drag on for two and a half hours. That's why it works. They're a little over an hour, tops. You write them in the order of your class schedule (except with the split). It just seems so much more organized.

Jacquie said:
What I find even more interesting about the schools at least here in the GTA is that in some schools boards you have schools that work on semesters and others that work on terms. The high school I went to had terms so we had exams that you had to do twice a year and if your marks were good enough you didn't have to do the final exams in June. I don't think I would have faired too well with semester. I can't imagine having math in semester 1 one year and then have it in the 2nd semester the next year. Now I didn't know that the US has their exam schedules set up the way you say they have LibertyBell it certainly does make sense. But hey this is Canada we aren't suppose to make sense :lol:

Thank you. And yeah, I guess that's true, we don't make sense very much. :lol: And I can relate to the math thing. I had math semester one in grade ten and semester two in grade eleven and I really struggled. I distinctly remember on the first day, the names of the concepts sounded familiar, but I couldn't put meaning behind them, and it was frustrating because I had done really well in math in grade ten.

That's sad about the boy with blue hair. I've never heard of any gang or anything using THAT as a symbol. Borders on freedom of expression, dontcha think?

i was on a semester system in high school and never had a problem, i know at least one high school in london was on a two-day schedule. the people i know who went there liked it fine, but i dont think i would have. university is on semesters anyway, and its supposed to be a transition i guess.

that hair thing is stupid. the schools are just trying to stop anything different from happening. i know there was a story on the news a while ago about banning hoodies and other baggie clothes. the news program made a point of how these clothes are warmer in the winter than other clothes, but the schools thought it was a safety issue. i never heard how that one turned out.

i know my school board banned head gear unless for religious reasons because peoples faces could be concealed on the cameras. ive seen stills from those cameras, you cant tell who the people are when you have a clear shot of the face! :lol: i guess they just want to cover their butts in the event something does happen. but i tell you what, my school is lucky i didnt know about the flying spaghetti monster while i was there. because i would have totally gone to school in full pirate regalia and thrown a fit if they told me to remove the bandana. actually im kind of sad that never got to happen... :lol:

I might be somewhat wrong about this but some school in the States run a lot more like ours than others. It all depends on what state you live in.

LibertyBell I know how that math thing is too. But in my case I wasn't good at it in the first place. I just failed by 3% in grade 10 and then grade 11 was just... guh. I just dropped it before the midway mark so it didn't appear on my permanent record and did an easier math course in summer school :p

I can honestly say that my school really didn't have that much of an issue of what people were wearing. I remember being in grade 9 and seeing a girl going to class in her bikini top:confused:. And I remember one guy came to school wearing his mothers wedding dress to prove a point about how men should be allowed to wear dresses. The only thing you couldn't wear was like a bandana. You also had to take into consideration that the principal of the school at the time had a fondness for wearing sheer tops... That and my school was too busy keeping an eye one the sketchy teacher who had already been fired once before for inappropriate conduct(He was eventually fired from my school when he got drunk with a bunch of minors at our prom).

Back