Season 9 *Spoiler Lab* Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting articles.

Shytown, maybe we should forward that article to the CSI writers. :lol:

Yeah. Maybe. That way we can stop this travesty before it even begins. :)

Because, even with other things, like family histories of mental illnesses, etc, the XYY doesn't wash.

You know...if they are looking for strange people to do the role, then why don't they hire David Bowie to play the character...if anyone here is over 25, they'll know what i mean.

The emphasis, on Sara was because their bringing back a story from long ago, that was poignant and heartwrenching, and Sara was outstanding in her compassion and understanding of this woman, the continuity is great, that CSI lets the fans see this:thumbsup:

that was such a lame episode, urggghh, why are they bringing that back?

CHRIS OWENS!!!!!!! YAY! X-files fantard here, love to hear the news! Great to have a familiar face in there. I wish they could get Gillian Anderson..that would be sweet.

As i said before the XYY stuff is bull crap and fake science, i just graduated with a degree in genetics, it is common knowledge in genetics that it is BS. They have terrible researchers.

You know...if they are looking for strange people to do the role, then why don't they hire David Bowie to play the character...if anyone here is over 25, they'll know what i mean.

:lol: David Bowie! Now I have that "babe with the power" song from Labryinth going through my head. :lol: Alice Cooper could work too. Probably any of those shock rock guys. :lol:

About the XYY stuff, I just don't get it. According to that article, it was discovered a long time ago that that extra chromosome doesn't cause violent tendencies. So, why the heck are they even going with that storyline? It makes no sense! I mean, if it had only been disproven a year or two ago, maybe... but the way that article talked it was a heck of a lot longer ago than that! They really do apparently need better researchers.

Last edited:
Whoever their consultants are, they need to be slapped. If this has been disproven, then why in the heck would they use it? Part of the reason that I, personally respected the show so much was because, as I far as I knew, their information had always been accurate. That's part of the appeal isn't it?

I don't know if you knew this, the two researchers are David Berman, who plays Super Dave, and Jon Wellner, who plays Henry, the tox tech.

I guess they're too busy trying to be actors that they can't fact check.

I think this is uber hella lame.

:lol: David Bowie! Now I have that "babe with the power" song from Labryinth going through my head. :lol: Alice Cooper could work too. Probably any of those shock rock guys. :lol:

I was thinking Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust days, now that would be cool. Coming into the lab dressed in those weird clothes.

Alice Cooper!!! Wow, then they'd have to bring back Lady Heather. Leather and snakes.

Or Ozzy Osbourne, but they'd be bleeping half the show!!!:lol:

"Where's that bleeping Nick Stokes!!! He's got my bleeping evidence!!! Bleep, I've got a bleeping autopsy to go to."

Seriously, if there gonna have a genetic freak of nature, hire a shock rock guy to do the role..I'm all for Ozzy!!"

Alrighty people, lets stop picking on poor David and Josh. :)

None of the articles (and I just looked back on some of them) mention that this character will have the XYY gene. Someone posted on this board that they "saw somewhere on the net that he was going to have this gene".

All the articles say that he will have a DNA quirk that could possibly make him a serial killer, nothing about the XYY gene.

So until someone from CSI confirms that's where there going with this, lets relax. :lol: Everyone's getting so excited because someone said the "saw it somewhere". Next time some says that ask them to cite their source!

Now stop picking on my Super Dave! :lol:

As for David Bowie, Alice Cooper or Ozzy? That would be cool! I say go for it! :lol:

I was thinking Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust days, now that would be cool. Coming into the lab dressed in those weird clothes.

Alice Cooper!!! Wow, then they'd have to bring back Lady Heather. Leather and snakes.

Or Ozzy Osbourne, but they'd be bleeping half the show!!!:lol:

"Where's that bleeping Nick Stokes!!! He's got my bleeping evidence!!! Bleep, I've got a bleeping autopsy to go to."

Seriously, if there gonna have a genetic freak of nature, hire a shock rock guy to do the role..I'm all for Ozzy!!"

I have no clue what Ziggy Stardust is. :lol: But, the stuff about Ozzy cracked me up. He'd be so freaking funny as a ME though. Miami shoulda hired him for the ME. :lol:

None of the articles (and I just looked back on some of them) mention that this character will have the XYY gene.

None of the official articles did, but Ausiello did (not in so many words, but it is implied). Someone asked him if the character would have two different DNAs (like the Chimera disorder), he said "Not exactly. More like chromosome abnormality ... think one too many letters."

Is there any other abnormality that gives a person an extra chromosome? If so, that's great and I hope that's the one they go with instead of this extra Y one.

Last edited:
None of the official article did, but Ausiello did (not in so many words, but it is implied). Someone asked him if the character would have two different DNAs (like the Chimera disorder), he said "Not exactly. More like chromosome abnormality ... think one too many letters."

Is there any other abnormality that gives a person an extra chromosome? If so, that's great and I hope that's the one they go with instead of this extra Y one.

Oh, so that was you. :lol: Boy, you're getting everyone in a tizzy. :guffaw: I still say lets wait and see, because there can be abnormalities anywhere in a DNA strain and thats what tptb are saying.

That Ausiello, always causing trouble. :lol: However, if that is the way they're going, then better research is needed, but lets remember this is television and TV is not always accurate including our beloved CSI.

Oh, so that was you. :lol: Boy, you're getting everyone in a tizzy

Actually, no. It wasn't me. :lol: I had to go back to the previous page to find that quote. :lol: Cause I couldn't remember how it was worded. I just meant that this is probably what everyone is basing the whole XYY thing on. :lol:

Ausiello is pretty tricky sometimes... he likes to tease us. :lol:

Actually that was me who posted that. I'd found that on Ausiellofiles, where he explicitly said, "One too many chromosomes." Yeah, one should always take anything Aussiello has to say with a grain of salt, I know. Still, it IS more speculation/a new aspect to the spoilers.

To my understanding any of the Autosomal Trisomies (3 strands at a chromosome) cause Mental Retardation and other developmental challenges/disabilities.

I'm sure that xfCanadian can tell you more about it. The Chimera thing is somewhat interesting, but....it doesn't wash, mainly because of the fact that that genetic abnormality (which is quite rare, only about 40 known cases) is not linked with Deviant behavior. It has been linked with hermaphroditism/being intersexed, but....unless the writers are really going for clichees, I sincerely doubt that they'd go there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)

Chimera article. Some interesting references there.

There is another syndrome that has another letter that presents in men- XXY syndrome, otherwise known as Klinefelter's Syndrome. I'm sure xfcanadian could explain it better than me, though. :)

As far as I've seen, Ausiello is usually spot on when it comes to giving hints for upcoming episodes. It's not like he's CM who drags us along all pre-season with false info.

Not 100% sure if someone already put this up but...

This disease is known as the Triple X Disease.

"This syndrome results from an extra copy of the X chromosome in each of a female's cells. Females with trisomy X have three X chromosomes, for a total of 47 chromosomes per cell. The average IQ of females with this syndrome is 90, while the average IQ of their normal siblings is 100 [1]. Their stature on average is taller than for normal females. They are fertile and their children do not inherit the condition. [2]
Females with more than one extra copy of the X chromosome (48,XXXX syndrome or 49,XXXXX syndrome) have been identified, but these conditions are rare. The extra genetic material may lead to mental retardation and other medical problems."

All the articles say that he will have a DNA quirk that could possibly make him a serial killer, nothing about the XYY gene.
*flips through several genetic text books* GENETICS DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!! Argghh! :lol: Oh CSI...i will wait to see before passing judgement, but if the eppy 'werewolves' is any indication, they are pretty crappy at their genetic research.

I think i may have brought up the XYY thing, cause that was the first thing i thought of when i read the spoilers about his genetic quirk. It is kind of well known in pop culture, but it is pseudoscience. Behaviour traits (homosexuality(yes it is considered as a biological genetic trait in science), intelligence, criminal behaviour, etc.) are extremely complex, there is no one gene that controls them. They result from a combination of different genes interacting with each other, and with the person's envioronment. Violent behaviour is impossible to predict, even with children who commit horrific violence when they are young might not be violent as adults.

The only thing i can think it might be, is that he *THINKS* he might have some kind of genetic thing, due to a family member who was a horrific serial killer. The brain is powerful, you can convince yourself of anything, and that might be the struggle. Or it was found out he had an extra Y when he was young, and was told all his life he would be violent (since scientists believed this in the 60's-70's), so he was treated badely by people around him, and that causes the struggle. I have seen this on a tv show, can't remember which one...oh yeah, it was on CSI Miami, so i hope they don't do this :lol: It was even mentioned on Miami that the science is wrong.

Yes, there are lots chromosomal disorders! Especially with the sex chromosomes...there is XO (only one X, no Y), XXX, XXXX, XYY, XXY. I think there are some more, those are the ones i know off the top of my head. The rule of thumb, even number of X's, person is phenotypically female, even with a Y present (looks female, but not all the parts would work), odd number of X's, phenotypically male. But as far as i know, it was thrown out that these would indicated a violent person. There are some chromosomal abnomalities associated with Schizophrenia. But even still, that doesn't mean he would be a serial killer. Most serial killers are not schizo, but are psychopaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back